2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How hard do you swing?

jjfcpa

> @MtlJeff said:

> I'm not sure anyone, even pros truly swings at 100 percent. Literally as hard as you can on every shot? Unlikely though its probably closer than most think

>

> 80 is waaaaay to low. Do you know what 80 percent of 115mph swing speed is? 92mph. I probably didn't swing driver at 92mph all of last year on any individual swing.

Way to low? Not if you consider is that 80% is 80% of your total brute strength. A skilled golfer using 80% of maximum strength can still generate 115 MPH. At 90% that golfer could risk losing control, and could get much less than 115 MPH clubhead speed if he or she is off-balance at impact.

_Throttling it back_ can be achieved in two ways:

1. Swinging more smoothly, such as tempo partial wedge shots. Despite swinging more smoothly, the golfer must still accelerate on the downswing to move the ball well.

2. Using a shorter backswing. Shorter backswing plus an extra club (go form 7i to 6i) is basic mechanics of a knockdown shot. The shorter backswing compresses the ball less, generating less backspin. Lesser spin can help you with distance going into the wind, or help you skip the ball onto the green to defeat a false front.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > I'm not sure anyone, even pros truly swings at 100 percent. Literally as hard as you can on every shot? Unlikely though its probably closer than most think

> >

> > 80 is waaaaay to low. Do you know what 80 percent of 115mph swing speed is? 92mph. I probably didn't swing driver at 92mph all of last year on any individual swing.

>

> Way to low? Not if you consider is that 80% is 80% of your total brute strength. A skilled golfer using 80% of maximum strength can still generate 115 MPH. At 90% that golfer could risk losing control, and could get much less than 115 MPH clubhead speed if he or she is off-balance at impact.

>

> _Throttling it back_ can be achieved in two ways:

> 1. Swinging more smoothly, such as tempo partial wedge shots. Despite swinging more smoothly, the golfer must still accelerate on the downswing to move the ball well.

> 2. Using a shorter backswing. Shorter backswing plus an extra club (go form 7i to 6i) is basic mechanics of a knockdown shot. The shorter backswing compresses the ball less, generating less backspin. Lesser spin can help you with distance going into the wind, or help you skip the ball onto the green to defeat a false front.

>

>

I think most people mean it in a general sense and just dont do the math in their head of how much 20% less is. But I acknowledge theres multiple ways to look at it

I would stick with my estimation that I swing around 92-94 percent on the course

Sometimes when I run through a star I get a quick energy burst for 15-20 seconds. Same with eating spinach

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have two swings, a full swing and partial swings. Basically anything but a wedge is a full swing, only time I will take less than on full swing with a mid/long iron is to flight it down/punch it out, etc. Wedges can be full, 3/4, or half, although I rarely hit a full wedge. Golf is hard enough, I don't bother trying to think about such percentages. I do have a "hard" swing that typically will only come out with driver, and normally results in a block a mile right

I can get away with swinging 100% with the driver... well, maybe 95%... and keep it in the fairway. Sometime... sometimes... I can push it and still keep it on target, but other times... lookout rough.

Woods / hybrids - probably about 90%. Anything more than that threatens my impact.

With the irons, I don't dare try to go 100%. Invariably, they will go left or I'll hit it on the toe and lose distance. I try to keep it at a comfortable 90%.

Funny thing is that if I make good impact at 80% or so, I get better or similar distance to a swing at 95% that isn't hit so well.

... I think we are dealing with individual perception and semantics. On full swings I am swinging as hard _**as I comfortably can**_. Could I swing harder? Sure but it would not be a golf swing anymore, just a reckless all out physical effort. Obviously there are some touch shots at less than 100% but even between yardages I am shortening my swing and/or chocking down on the grip but still going as hard as I comfortably can because decelerating is a recipe for inconsistent contact and face angles. Once inside 100 yds pretty much no swing is 100% but those are almost never full swings.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

> @MtlJeff said:

> I would stick with my estimation that I swing around 92-94 percent on the course

>

> Sometimes when I run through a star **I get a quick energy burst for 15-20 seconds**. Same with eating spinach

Does this mean I'm entitled to an extra two strokes a side on our bets?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I swing at what feels like an aggressive athletic move with every club. This is probably closer to 100% with a driver than a wedge. For example, I can add maybe 10 yards of carry by swinging harder with a driver, but can nuke a wedge 30 yards farther if I need to go over a tree.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

> @SubaruWRX said:

> I’m at 90-95% at 135 yards out and more.

Depends on the shot, but this is basically my range.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I really only put a full swing off the tee when I feel like I need to and generally only with driver. If I need to get a little more out of an iron and don't want to take more club for whatever reason, I'll just put it a touch further back in my stance to deloft it a bit.

Rarely do I hit it well really going after it.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I think what op is referring to is perceived effort and not a percentage of how fast someone can swing. Most top players will say they swing around 80% for normal shots. If they want to go after one usually 85% - 90% depends on the player. This example I used above is what Dustin Johnson said in an interview. The goal is to swing fast without swinging hard.

> @JJgolfwrx said:

> I think what op is referring to is perceived effort and not a percentage of how fast someone can swing. Most top players will say they swing around 80% for normal shots. If they want to go after one usually 85% - 90% depends on the player. This example I used above is what Dustin Johnson said in an interview. The goal is to swing fast without swinging hard.

This is exactly what I was referring to. I think most players would rarely say that they swing the club 100%, and if they did, it probably wasn't their best swing. Happens to me all the time.

The idea that most good tour guys are swinging 100 % most swings is funny to me. The little guys maybe. But watch DJ and tell me he doesn’t have 5mph or more in reserve. Please. Tiger too. Compare his bunker shot swing at the open at carnoustie with a pw from a normal distance in the fairway. At least 10 mph difference. Nobody running around swinging all out every swing. Those swings are reserved for thick rough , 3 woods in to par 5s and drivable par 4s. .

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

80% is pure BS.

Flat out, as hard as I can, I hit an 8 iron 160 carry. I feel very smooth and in control when I hit it 155 carry. That's 97%

Driver is about the same. Flat out I can carry it 270. A fairway finder is about 260 and that's about 96% of max.

At 80% I would hit it about 215. I start hitting a driver 215 carry any time soon and I'll take up bowling.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Probably about 75%. I always try to make a nice easy swing because shorter and in the fairway beats longer and in the woods any day. People always marvel at how smooth and effortless my swing looks and thats mostly because I dont try to kill the ball. Instead I go for middle of the face and hopefully if all goes well, middle of the green.

I'm not going to guess a percentage but I dialed my swing back yesterday when we played in a really brisk wind. I hit an 8 iron into the 18th from a yardage that I would usually hit a PW. Smooth, dialed back swings that were less effected by the wind. I might try to stick with this the next round I play even if the wind isn't blowing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

95% until the wedges

fact: nobody swings 80% at a full shot, ever. Everyone is swinging well over 90% whether you think so or not. The fact is that a lot of people don’t realize when you’re trying to “go after” one your muscles tense up causing you to actually move slower.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I basically swing as hard as I can while staying in balance. Balance is more of a consideration than my swing power. I don't consciously try to swing hard or dial it back, my swing speed is more a function of how the rest of my body is functioning.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

At a Pro-Am a few years ago with Louis Oosthuizen I asked him how hard he swings. He said, "Most out here are about 75-80% for most shots including the driver. Ernie, Retief, Brandon, and Trevor are all the same as far as effort. I can go at it a lot harder but I'm introducing unpredictability and trouble when I do and out here (on the PGA Tour) that's not a good thing." So, maybe that's why they play for a living. Just saying'...

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

> @bladehunter said:

>

> So these two swings are same effort ?

>

>

>

>

>

>

For arguments sake, let's say the 1st swing is 100%... I bet the 2nd swing is close to 95% of the 1st one. I think people greatly overestimate the percentage of effort reduction.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

^^ “feeling” like 80% and actual 80% are 2 totally different things. There is not a single golfer on the planet that swings 80% effort on any shot ever unless it’s a wedge or punch shot. Why would anyone hit a 80% 4 iron when you can hit the same yardage and more accuracy with a 7 iron?

Take a look at Keopka’s yardage book - his FULL 8 iron goes 178 yards but his 3/4 8 iron which means HIS 75% “feeling” goes 170 yards. Don’t get it twisted, there is NOT a single golfer in the world that swings 80% at anything other than a wedge. EVER.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> @bladehunter said:

>

> So these two swings are same effort ?

>

>

>

>

>

>

Given those are the same club I would argue those 2 swings are very similar swing speeds, maybe 3-4 mph give or take - the bunker shot looks like much more effort however due to the lack of ability to use the ground in a bunker like you can in the fairway so the arm swing looks a bit more severe esp with Tigers recoil

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

> @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> >

> > So these two swings are same effort ?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Given those are the same club I would argue those 2 swings are very similar swing speeds, maybe 3-4 mph give or take - the bunker shot looks like much more effort however due to the lack of ability to use the ground in a bunker like you can in the fairway so the arm swing looks a bit more severe esp with Tigers recoil

>

>

Maybe so. I picked same clubs on purpose for an accurate idea. But I do get that it’s a guess at best.

But I’ll submit my own opinion. I think maybe the disagreements come from different type players. Some people do swing hard all or most of the time. I’m one that does not. Now. I’m fully aware that a smooth swing with flush contact will make near or more ball speed than an all out miss hit. So I get the misconception there too if just comparing ball speed. I also know that a well timed 90-95% swing will make more speed and power than an ill timed 100% swing that nets a mishit etc.

But. For me. Let’s say a 7 iron. I play a stock 7 iron with a fall right fade and no wind or elevation at 170 yards on the dot. But. I’ve got 5 more yards if I want it. With reasonable dispersion. As in still hitting the green. But the dispersion does suffer when going from 90-100 %. Example watching those two swings with me is that I can get to parallel or past easy if I want to , with a huge wide windup. But I just don’t put that effort into a Normal approach shot. I’ve getting 3/4 at best. Why would I ? I can always hit a longer club.

So the argument really is that some people swing all out and play that and some don’t and play that. And it’s hard for both to get the others idea. I see this in myself a lot on trackman. I’ll warm up and ease into it and have someone say “ your swinging good , speed looks good etc “. And I’ll know I’m bunting driver around for straight shots. So after I’m warm I’ll widen out and let one go. May see 7-8 mph difference in swing speed . I do this on course every round. I’m just not trying to swing 120 plus every swing. There’s just no return on the risk. And it’s a tempo destroyer for me to have the idea to do that every swing. I like my heart rate low , and my mindset slow. Think DJ. You ever see him get quick , he’s going to start spraying it. He’s always walking , moving slow. And swing doesn’t have a lot of effort if it’s working well.

Now rec. players. Sure most swing out of their shoes. Why ? Distance whores abound. They want to tell you how far their pw went. I could hit 150 yard pw , but why ? No points for that.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Socrates said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> >

> > So these two swings are same effort ?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> For arguments sake, let's say the 1st swing is 100%... I bet the 2nd swing is close to 95% of the 1st one. I think people greatly overestimate the percentage of effort reduction.

Right. I’m not saying 80. But I think the folks who pooo pooo 80 also believe that most swing near 100. 100 is max effort. Not max efficiency. 90-100 is a huge huge gap in my opinion.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock