2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

31 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

"Please explain to me the difference between this and setting the hands early."

Sure, you're adding the word "early' for no reason.

What, you want to set them late?

Or not set them at all?

In the video I posted Monte says "just set your wrists". How much earlier can you set the hands in the swing if that is how you start the swing?

I made this point because there is a lot of golf instruction that says hold setting the wrists until later in the swing. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

15 hours ago, coops said:

Observation #3 ?

As a bonus... doing Monte Cast A will create the correct wrist movement needed for the Impact Snap training aid created by Kelvin Miyahara... ulnar deviation and all that other good stuff

I'd got this device some time ago out of curiosity, but was never really ok with it... now I suspect because I wasn't trying to do the required moves immediately after/during transition - as Monte says in the video, you need to intend to do it straight away but it actually will happen later... doing it from P5/P6 as per most impact snap video tutorial never felt like I had enough time before impact to do it. Do it as per Monte's cast A and that impact snap moves perfectly into position.

Great comment and now I'm going to have to pull my Impact Snap out of storage.  In fact, I think you may have just designed a great drill for NTC.

Edited by chigolfer1

I've watched the new video several times. I'm not surprised by Cast A since I've seen prior videos of Monte talking about this and other instructors such as Jake Hutt are teaching this as well. However, was anyone else a little taken aback by Cast B? This kinda blew my mind. The only other instructor I've heard recommend this is Jim Hardy and he is often frowned upon it seems. That type of release makes sense to me, but I haven't heard that explained very often. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scopek said:

I've watched the new video several times. I'm not surprised by Cast A since I've seen prior videos of Monte talking about this and other instructors such as Jake Hutt are teaching this as well. However, was anyone else a little taken aback by Cast B? This kinda blew my mind. The only other instructor I've heard recommend this is Jim Hardy and he is often frowned upon it seems. That type of release makes sense to me, but I haven't heard that explained very often. 

What made the light bulb go off for me is cast b. i would always shallow the club well, but try and hold the angles in my wrists until p6. This caused my shoulders to0 tilt to much at impact and my left arm stuck to chin. As soon as i started to intend to cast b immediately after cast a, i was able to release the club and be open at impact. to ME, it feels like the club is almost releasing behind me, but because my arms are now moving faster, im in a good impact position. it also got my left arm off my chest, something that was impossible for me before. it all happened naturally and without thought. Like Monte said, your body will react when the club is in good positions. 

Edited by BogeyBrian

Ping 425 Max 10.5//Tensei AV Orange 65g Xstiff

Ping 425 Max 5 Wood//Tensei AV Orange 75 g Xstiff

Ping i210 Irons (3-PW)//DG X100

Ping Glide 3.0 52//56//60

TaylorMade Spider X Copper 

15 minutes ago, BogeyBrian said:

What made the light bulb go off for me is cast b. i would always shallow the club well, but try and hold the angles in my wrists until p6. This caused my shoulders to0 tilt to much at impact and my left arm stuck to chin. As soon as i started to intend to cast b immediately after cast a, i was able to release the club and be open at impact. to ME, it feels like the club is almost releasing behind me, but because my arms are now moving faster, im in a good impact position. it also got my left arm off my chest, something that was impossible for me before. it all happened naturally and without thought. Like Monte said, your body will react when the club is in good positions. 

Good to hear. I've always had a hard time with that type of move when I tried working on it with Jim Hardy's stuff. But I think I had some mental issues with it because it was so different from what everyone else was telling me with "keep the left wrist straight" and "keep the angle in the right wrist." Hearing Monte advocate that throwing motion makes what Hardy has been saying all along more legit. It's funny because Hardy has been teaching this for awhile but the more reputable teachers say the same thing, the more it seems legit. 

Edited by scopek
  • Like 2

"Cast A" and "Cast B" really remind me of an Instagram tip that Jake Hutt posted. I have no idea how to find it now and Googling isn't really helping much. Anyway, the idea was to imagine that you have two balls on your clubhead or clubface. On your downswing, you throw one ball into the ground and the other ball straight towards your target.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

5 minutes ago, Crimson62185 said:

I haven’t been able to get to the range to try this out yet, but I really like it and the simplicity. I’m excited to work on this. I believe my biggest challenge will be putting all the pieces together in one fluid motion. 

what has helped me make it one motion, is doing reps at a very slow speed and gradually adding speed until your at full speed. i usually doing 5 practice swings at variable speeds before i hit a ball. i video tape the full speed swing and see where i am off track 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BogeyBrian said:

what has helped me make it one motion, is doing reps at a very slow speed and gradually adding speed until your at full speed. i usually doing 5 practice swings at variable speeds before i hit a ball. i video tape the full speed swing and see where i am off track 

Are you combining both cast A and B when you do this or working on one of the casts? 

Just now, scopek said:

Are you combining both cast A and B when you do this or working on one of the casts? 

im doing both a and b as i would in an actual swing. feel like b is immediately following a...its all intent and not even close to what happens when i look at my swing on video. but i would use the ntc video as the source. this is what is working for me, you may need a different feel 

• Like 1

I have a question for Monte's Minions...

I have been working on the right hip going towards the target and can get it perfect on the practice but when hitting a shot I am only 95% there. Its like it gets a little stuck and I want to nail this down before I get too far down the road with the other drills.  I do the 7 to 8 drill and its there and I try it for real and its not. I am wondering if my weight is not getting off the back foot causing a posting of sorts around the right hip rather than around the spine. Thoughts? 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5*, Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

1 hour ago, David69 said:

Those are really good, and here's the one I was misremembering:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBTbyR9AzwY/?igshid=bet9od8d0tzg

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

On 8/30/2020 at 7:34 PM, Swingchaser said:

Ive been struggling with inconsistent ball striking for 20 years. I’ve probably watched every YouTube golf instruction video out there but not got anywhere. I’ve just had the worst golfing summer ever, hitting it like a complete beginner at times with wicked slices, tops, fats, pulls, total embarrassment really with 3 or 4 lost balls per round. I’ve spent most of this year trying to work on a swing model promoted on line that involves stalling the body and releasing with arms and hands but it just wasn’t working for me. I recently remembered that a while back I had purchased the driving series from Monty and after logging in to check it out again the no turn cast videos caught my eye. I thought what the hell, nothing to lose at that price so made the purchase. Very simple concept and easy to watch, remember and take to the course. This I did the next day and WOW. By the third hole I was hitting it better than I have in ages. Hit some shockers when I got too aggressive with the cast to 8 but after ten holes practice I was buzzing. Never hit so many straight shots in succession. A few days later played a Full round And my ball striking was amazing. Had no confidence with driver for years but was hitting it straight down the middle. Same with woods and hybrids from fairway. The strike feels good and solid but there’s still a lot more distance to be had as I’m still at least 50 yards behind my playing partner. Massive improvement for me though with all my woods and hybrids but slight distance loss with irons and wedges. Early days though as at the moment I’m just casting to 7 or 8 and just thinking turn. I’m probably missing the hip bump and I’m not yet thinking about the cast to twelve. I think I’m about to start enjoying golf again though

After a trip to the range today I can confirm that this seems to be the real deal. Usually when I think I’ve stumbled upon something that works, it’s gone after a couple of sessions. Hit 60 balls today. First half dozen were rubbish then after that they were all solidly hit, pretty straight and flying further than I would normally expect, especially woods and hybrids. The last half dozen were pretty bad but I think I tried to get too aggressive and smash the hell out of it. Just hoping now I can take this into the weekend comp

• Like 2

Just taken the plunge watched the video a couple of times and tried a few drills in my front room without a ball. 

Backswing to 7 good

backswing to 8 good much deeper with hands than normal(hands usually higher but elbow and hands over right heel) if anything slightly over doing it

cast A good 

cast B need more still holding off

my ongoing problem of arms dropping continues still under and too much from inside. Need more of opening chest while left knee and shoulder works down and forward as per video. I think I need to dismiss the keeping shoulders closed as I do this too much anyhow rest is very promising. 

1 hour ago, TourSpoon said:

I have been working on the right hip going towards the target and can get it perfect on the practice but when hitting a shot I am only 95% there. Its like it gets a little stuck and I want to nail this down before I get too far down the road with the other drills.  I do the 7 to 8 drill and its there and I try it for real and its not. I am wondering if my weight is not getting off the back foot causing a posting of sorts around the right hip rather than around the spine. Thoughts? 

When I go from 7 to 8 on backswing the right hip feels like it goes to the target I haven’t thought about it till I read your post. Not trying to think about anything other than what is mentioned in the drills to be honest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

This video helped me get from 7 to 8 in a repeatable manner.

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/loading-glute-centered-pivot/

The feel is the same as trying to slightly pick your left foot off the ground.  Remember, reverse every natural instinct........lol.

Edited by ohakim82
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, coops said:

Observation #3 ?

As a bonus... doing Monte Cast A will create the correct wrist movement needed for the Impact Snap training aid created by Kelvin Miyahara... ulnar deviation and all that other good stuff

I'd got this device some time ago out of curiosity, but was never really ok with it... now I suspect because I wasn't trying to do the required moves immediately after/during transition - as Monte says in the video, you need to intend to do it straight away but it actually will happen later... doing it from P5/P6 as per most impact snap video tutorial never felt like I had enough time before impact to do it. Do it as per Monte's cast A and that impact snap moves perfectly into position.

Exactly this.  Monte’s video explanation combined with the Impact Snap and trying to snap it right after transition has produced some of the most beautiful high draws I have ever hit with all my clubs over the weekend and today. 

7 hours ago, scopek said:

Good to hear. I've always had a hard time with that type of move when I tried working on it with Jim Hardy's stuff. But I think I had some mental issues with it because it was so different from what everyone else was telling me with "keep the left wrist straight" and "keep the angle in the right wrist." Hearing Monte advocate that throwing motion makes what Hardy has been saying all along more legit. It's funny because Hardy has been teaching this for awhile but the more reputable teachers say the same thing, the more it seems legit. 

Thanks for posting this - I asked this question earlier and no one else replied. I will look for Jim Hardy's stuff on Cast B. Jim Hardy has had some great instruction - I like his drill on holding the range bucket to prevent early forearm rotation - that helps me get to 7 o'clock better in the backswing.

I don't recall that this was addressed earlier in this thread, but does NTC apply for shorter 1/2 and 3/4 swings and around the green?  In other words, can you still Cast A from 7, or are your wrists and arms not in position for this to work?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

20 minutes ago, PepsiDuck said:

I don't recall that this was addressed earlier in this thread, but does NTC apply for shorter 1/2 and 3/4 swings and around the green?  In other words, can you still Cast A from 7, or are your wrists and arms not in position for this to work?

Give it a try at the range... I did out of curiosity with my lob wedge. It works well - the cast is less pronounced or less aggressive I guess, but that feeling of unc!ck/throw helps to free me up and get the face square to arc and so less likely to stall and flip gawd knows where ? 

I tend to get tighter and tighter the shorter the shot... so knowing I want to give it a bit of 'throw' / 'cast' means I have to NOT get so quick and tensed up... and it's not going to make my usually execrable short game any worse anyway.

Edited by coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

52 minutes ago, coops said:

Give it a try at the range... I did out of curiosity with my lob wedge. It works well - the cast is less pronounced or less aggressive I guess, but that feeling of unc!ck/throw helps to free me up and get the face square to arc and so less likely to stall and flip gawd knows where ? 

I tend to get tighter and tighter the shorter the shot... so knowing I want to give it a bit of 'throw' / 'cast' means I have to NOT get so quick and tensed up... and it's not going to make my usually execrable short game any worse anyway.

Range closes early on Mondays so I just go out to the practice green after work which has about 40 yards to pitch from. So I tried to apply the principles hitting short pitches from 7. Not sure if it’s meant to work the same as Cast A’ing from 8...?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I've been using NTC for past month with my irons before the new video and my ball striking has improved. I use it for full swings and 1/2 swings. But I have not felt comfortable using it with my driver. After watching the video, I tried the driver on the range this weekend and was hitting a lot of hooks. 

Decided to play a round today using NTC with driver. I was swinging probably 85% -- scared to death of hitting hooks. With driver, I have to feel more like I'm casting more toward 7 and make sure I am finishing toward 12. Hit 10 of 14 fairways -- I hit one really bad drive but my other misses weren't bad at all. I was hitting middle of face but low trajectory. Once I trust the swing, I'll start adding speed. But I do need to figure out how to improve the trajectory -- on my Mevo, it's too low and I have too much spin. 

I shot a 79 which is pretty good for me (included two double bogies which were really stupid). Encouraging part was I wasn't hitting the ball great but my misses are so much better now.  I stopped golfing for 10 years -- started back up in January. I decided I was going to rebuild my swing and based everything on Monte's videos (like Efficient Swing, NTC, bought D4D today) and the Planemate. It has been PAINFUL but it's finally paying off. When I stopped playing I was a 12 handicap and my goal was to get to single digit this year (right now I'm a 9). I think I can get to at least a 7 handicap this year now (there's some low hanging fruit with my short game, which I haven't been practicing yet, and my ball striking is much better than earlier this year). Monte's videos have been a huge reason for my improvement. Guess I need to get his short game video now. 

Edited by acekun

12 hours ago, ohakim82 said:

This video helped me get from 7 to 8 in a repeatable manner.

https://golfsmartacademy.com/golf-instruction/loading-glute-centered-pivot/

The feel is the same as trying to slightly pick your left foot off the ground.  Remember, reverse every natural instinct........lol.

Thanks for the video. This was a little more in depth on this important concept and its not natural for me because I want to "load up" the right side to move left. I am fighting Monty's extreme B position with a restricted hip at the very end of the backswing just not as extreme as his example (segment backswing B). I am hitting the ball really well, but when I fall back a little the inconsistency sneaks back and a 75 turns into a 83. I believe 100% when he says that you have to put yourself in a great position to start the downswing and if you do it right it makes the rest of the swing fall into place. 

I am also seeing more hooks when practicing with the driver. I consciously have to take out the hands now because if you hit the correct positions those old compensations don't need to help square the clubface. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5*, Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

Finally bit the bullet and purchased it last week (Ive also brought the efficient swing and drive 4 dough). 

I find that it reinforces a lot of the concepts founds in the efficient swing and has really helped develop a very consistent takeaway.

I am still struggling with the downswing and the 2 casts as I find myself hooking the ball when focusing on the ulner deviation down to 8 (or 4 in my case since I'm a lefty) but its a work in progress. Has anyone else found themselves coming off with a hook or a draw out of this?

6 minutes ago, Showtime9 said:

Finally bit the bullet and purchased it last week (Ive also brought the efficient swing and drive 4 dough). 

I find that it reinforces a lot of the concepts founds in the efficient swing and has really helped develop a very consistent takeaway.

I am still struggling with the downswing and the 2 casts as I find myself hooking the ball when focusing on the ulner deviation down to 8 (or 4 in my case since I'm a lefty) but its a work in progress. Has anyone else found themselves coming off with a hook or a draw out of this?

Yes, draws mostly.  Hooks when I go OTT.  We have been overcompensating our swing flaws.  Try weakening your grip to straighten it out.  May also be the transition/pivot to 12.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE