Elbow pain

mws82

Nippon 120 would be similar and are generally regarded as the smoothest iron shafts. If hitting off of mats regularly, that might not even do the trick. Other suggestions are prosoft inserts and/or softer grips like CP2. 

Edited by Oknows

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I know you are looking for specific shaft info, where I can't really help you compared to the LZ.  As others have said, definitely look into the prosoft inserts.  They are very cheap, and easy to install.  Anytime I have been re-gripping one of my iron sets recently, I have installed the inserts.  I also like the CP2 wrap grips.  And definitely look into something like these elbow braces from Amazon--best $8 I have spent in a while.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDNSXBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise, I have found the TT Elevate shafts to work pretty well with elbow pain (as they have their own inserts), so you might look at the Elevate Tour in the heavier weight range.  As noted, plenty of graphite options as well, but I can never seem to get totally comfortable with graphite shafts, even the better ones.  Still working on that.  Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 9/8/2020 at 9:31 PM, cadman88 said:

Thank you for the link!  I too have been dealing with elbow pain, and am too fond of my steep swing to change LOL.  Thanks again.

Everyones experiences seem to be different but here is mine: The OG project x AND the LZ both gave me elbow issues. Put prosofts in the LZ and didnt help at all really. Ive also owned KBS tour and Nippon modus and both shafts are much better on the elbow. Seems like a rip on PX but its true, and a shame because the OG PX perform sooooo good for me.

I just started experiencing elbow pain this year as well. I have 2 sets of irons, 1 with Lz 6.0 and 1 with TT Elevate Tour...both perform nearly identical to each other with the real difference being my elbow pain after the rounds when I’ve played the Lz. Not sure if it’s because of the way the Elevate is made vs how the Lz is, but I definitely notice it. 
As far as a graphite shaft that’s similar to the Lz...I’m thinking the Recoil 110 will be very similar. I have one in a 3 utility club and it performs great so far. Going to look into them in my next set. 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

I develop HORRIBLE pain in my left forearm with certain shafts. CTapers were the worst.  It always goes away if I switch to a softer shaft for a bit. Had the worst case I've ever had earlier this year using a set with Modus 120x. Put a back up set of irons in the bag with DGR400s and the pain went away within a week or two and hasn't come back. 

I’ll share my story about this. I developed this really badly toward the end of last season. To the point that I couldn’t even play or really swing a club full speed. Put the clubs away for about 8 weeks after the season ended. After that I got the itch again and started hitting some balls. Within about 20 swings I was starting to feel a twinge of the pain again so I shut it down and started looking for solutions. Came across something similar to those sting stoppers mentioned earlier. Couldn’t bring myself to paying that for some foam rods so I found an alternative. Got some backer rod from HD. For about $5 I had enough to do all my irons twice over. Fast forward to this summer and no more pain. I was just at the range last week and hit three buckets totaling 240 balls and nothing, no pain. Never thought I’d be able to do that again at the end of last season. 

FYI nothing else changed other than adding the backer rod. Still the same irons with the same Nippon Modus Tour 120 shafts. 

Maybe search for some exercises for you issue. Take some prescription anti inflammatory for a few weeks. No hitting off mats. I always use this: 

Tenex ATESA Elbow Shock Absorber - Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GQPXYA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R8SxFbFS0RX7W

Edited by poppman2142

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

I have prosoft inserts in my LZ 6.0, played them all this season with okay results, I never played the lz shafts without inserts to compare, but they are better than the project x 6.0 I had in a different set. That being said, I am putting my steelfibres into the heads this offseason, best shaft I have played with zero regrets 

Another vote for Steelfibers for relief of golfer’s elbow.  I was a skeptic, but within a couple months, my elbow pain was gone.

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

I have always played steel shafts in my irons.  For a long time I would order my Ping's with the Ping Cushin insert installed.  Ping evidently doesn't offer them now so I installed the Pro-Soft inserts in my i200 irons.  Never had a problem and am in my 70's.  The Cushin's used to weigh about 10 grams while the Pro-Softs are literally light as a feather.   

On 9/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, Taylormadehunter1 said:

Came across something similar to those sting stoppers mentioned earlier. Couldn’t bring myself to paying that for some foam rods so I found an alternative. Got some backer rod from HD. For about $5 I had enough to do all my irons twice over. Fast forward to this summer and no more pain. I was just at the range last week and hit three buckets totaling 240 balls and nothing, no pain. Never thought I’d be able to do that again at the end of last season. 

Any more details on these? Which section did you find them in and how tough were they to install?

This is an interesting and informative thread.

I developed elbow pain for the first time in my golf life late last year and determined it was most likely caused by hitting off mats at driving ranges (3 sessions per week), so don't discount that.

You can see from my sig what irons/shafts I play and am going through a re-gripping exercise which may give me a little extra shock absorption. Like the idea of the dampening inserts and no doubt will experiment with different shafts in the future.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

8 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

What shaft did you have before Steelfiber? 

Nippon NS Pro GH 950 stiff

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

6 hours ago, 7fa said:

Any more details on these? Which section did you find them in and how tough were they to install?

There is some concern that backer rod could trap moisture and cause rust in the shaft, but I don't profess to be an expert.  The prosoft inserts are pretty cheap themselves, but the backer rod can be bought in bulk.  This is it, the 5/8".  https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-30623-Pre-Caulking-Filler-50-Feet/dp/B000DZKZP2/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=Sashco&dchild=1&keywords=Sashco&pd_rd_i=B000DZKZP2&pd_rd_r=fd9be8b0-a95f-4e6e-a08f-1995a63531d4&pd_rd_w=GGzuQ&pd_rd_wg=6UHd7&pf_rd_p=42e41e42-79c0-42f8-8a91-d71b944e9fa8&pf_rd_r=9KVY2C7H08XVQ65BEEV8&psc=1&qid=1600546762&sr=1-1-791c2399-d602-4248-afbb-8a79de2d236f

8 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I’ve heard that about backer rod collecting moisture and from my experience I have found that to not be true. I’ve had it in my irons for several years now and have seen no sign of moisture in the shaft or rust. I just had a couple heads off my irons last month to fix some ferrules and saw nothing in the shaft to indicate any rust. 

1 hour ago, Taylormadehunter1 said:

I’ve heard that about backer rod collecting moisture and from my experience I have found that to not be true. I’ve had it in my irons for several years now and have seen no sign of moisture in the shaft or rust. I just had a couple heads off my irons last month to fix some ferrules and saw nothing in the shaft to indicate any rust. 

That’s great.  I was just relaying what I had read, not from personal experience.  I always keep a stock of prosoft inserts around, but also bought that 50’ of backer rod to have around.  

And all of that said, I installed the inserts in my NS Pro 950 shafts, and I still have darn elbow pain.  Sucks getting old (all of 47 yo).  I might be back to Recoils or SF soon enough...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffrey r said:

That’s great.  I was just relaying what I had read, not from personal experience.  I always keep a stock of prosoft inserts around, but also bought that 50’ of backer rod to have around.  

And all of that said, I installed the inserts in my NS Pro 950 shafts, and I still have darn elbow pain.  Sucks getting old (all of 47 yo).  I might be back to Recoils or SF soon enough...

I had heard the same thing before I started using the backer rod but figured I’d give it a try anyway. Glad it turned out to not be an issue. 

I’m 43 and even though the inserts have helped, I think it is time for graphite for me. I was feeling good yesterday, hit a ton of balls and wasn’t feeling any pain. Woke up this morning and both elbows are hurting. I can’t keep dealing with the pain, so I’ve started the search for some graphite shafts. 

I am 39 and I too went from s300 to i95 Steelfibers and since moving over have no more pain.  No clue if that IS the reason, but I'm sure it's got something to do with it. I am a range rat too and hit balls often. 

since switching, I have had zero pain and zero reason for anymore cortisone shots. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

The inserts are a must, really. I've been playing cushin inserts in my Ping irons ever since I took up golf again about 8 years ago (I'm 48 now).  I swing 110-115 with the driver.  I've battled golfers elbow, and there are a few things that could be contributing.  One is using your right arm in the swing.  That will aggravate golfers elbow.  The right arm is just along for the ride. Don't use it to do anything. Not to turn it over, not to dig it out, not to rip it as hard as you can.  A swing that is too steep can do that too.  You don't really have to take a beaver pelt with every shot to hit it straight, long and with plenty of spin.  That contributes to it too.  Now the thing that really surprised me is that I recently switched to Bryson's swing with my woods.  That straight arm setup not only lets you hit it straighter by about a factor of three, but it puts no strain on the trail elbow (or the lower back).  I love it and can swing it till I'm dead exhausted and my elbow doesn't flare up anymore.  Those real hard swings with the big clubs I think are more damaging than the easier swings with the irons (with steel shafts with ground contact) in my opinion.

Edited by LCP

The ProSoft inserts are pretty cheap at $5 for a 10 pack.  To install them properly you need the specific tool also. Otherwise the insert will bunch up and not be at the proper depth. The tool will last a lifetime and its pretty clever how it works.  It can also be used to remove the inserts but I can't see why you would want to. Its a well thought-out system so you might as well go ahead and do it right the first time.  

• Like 1