Why does everything Bryson hits go left or straight?

Justsomeguy

Club face is square at impact, club is on plane. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Left ? Swinging out of his shoes. And it’s beautiful to behold. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

One way miss = one of this games secrets 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The astonishing thing is that the loft on his driver is so low which opens the face, and the Jumbomax grips are so large which promotes a weak grip. all of which promotes an open club face, yet he manages to keep it square and still not shoot everything right. When I try that setup I feel like I am slapping across the ball and it either pushes or worse slices way right if I really go after it. Not sure how he gets the face closed to go left. tremendous win today. 

Edited by David69
  • Like 1

Grip of the club:  Held more in the palm, reduces clubhead rotation, but still maintains stability at impact.

Stance:  Stands close to the ball with very upright lies, with all irons and wedges same length.

Talent and Dedication:  These are world-class athletes.  Multiply his talent with his dedication to improvement, both physically and mentally. 

Practice:  Single-length irons come with a separate benefit:  You don't have to practice all of them as they're all the same.  Allows you to spend more time practicing hitting driver so you can destroy long par 4s with 350+ yard drives in the heat of competition.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David69 said:

The astonishing thing is that the loft on his driver is so low which opens the face, and the Jumbomax grips are so large which promotes a weak grip. all of which promotes an open club face, yet he manages to keep it square and still not shoot everything right. When I try that setup I feel like I am slapping across the ball and it either pushes or worse slices way right if I really go after it. Not sure how he gets the face closed to go left. tremendous win today. 

Regarding the Jumbomax, you can still strengthen and weaken grip.  It's just a matter of holding the club more in palm and less with fingers.  Although for Bryson it is a little different.  He holds the grip in the right hand lifeline.  (I think both lifelines, but definitely the right lifeline for certain.)  His trail forearm and the shaft form a straight line significantly enhances accuracy.

The grip and swing setup is a form of Moe Norman-based "single axis golf."  One brand was "Natural Golf" but there have been others, including a current iteration called Setup 4 Impact.  Ironically, the knock on this model has traditionally been loss of distance!  

Edited by games

Hogan played with an open clubface with a flat swing and could hit a draw. Watching Bryson's hands through impact its clear he's using them to the max as Hogan recommended, in spite of the fact that he has large grips. Looking at the angle of his knuckles of the left hand at the top of the swing he still has the club plently enough in the fingers, but that shoulder be expected as he has his left wrist very extended and pushing away from him at address and continues to push the arm and hand away. He also drops the right arm in and gets the right hand in a very good position, it's easy to hit close the clubface from there.

I think his swing is similar to Moe Norman's with the one plane swing. I think many believe that Moe played with a ten finger grip and the Natural Golf right hand palm grip but I have read he just did that for sponsorship. Plus look at Moe's right hand position before impact, that hard to do with a right hand palm grip. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Check out Kirk Junge's video analyses of BDC, I think all done pre-bulk.  Should still give you an idea of the current iron grip, stance, and swing. 

However, more recent analysis suggests driver has changed to be more in line with conventional two-plane characteristics.  I think his grip still minimizes clubface rotation, but he's added a bit of "loop" found in the traditional swing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I switched to his swing with my woods and driver about six weeks ago. (I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! -- 70% STRAIGHTER AND NO LOWER BACK PAIN OR GOLFER'S ELBOW -- ALL GONE NOW!! AND HANDICAP HAS DROPPED 2 SHOTS [3 shots really--but I had ballooned up badly in the two weeks prior] IN THAT TIME AND I'VE GOT MORE TO GO).  Bryson really seems to stay planted on his rear foot.  That requires weight on it.  That makes it go left.  Also a little bit forward of middle ball position with this swing sends it left.  And it does it with a high positive angle of attack.  That explains his 5.5º driver.  I might be missing 20mph of his swing speed, but I hit some HIGH shots now.  So much that I'm looking for lower flight with a 7.5º G410 Plus/Ventus Black 7X and 12º G400 Stretch "3 wood"/Speeder 869 8.2X.  As a result I'm trying to keep weight forward some (a big fault of mine is over swinging on the backswing and hanging back on my rear foot) to reduce the upward angle of attack, but the problem with keeping the weight forward is that it introduces a miss to the right.  Keeping his weight planted on his rear foot is why he goes left.  If I'm gonna do that, I need to start playing 3.5" tees with my driver.  My hits are all super-low on the face if I don't try to force weight to the front foot.

Edited by LCP
  • Thanks 1

Those grip pics show a very weak, thumb straight down top of club one knuckle grip. And with very little club face manipulation I would guess that this setup naturally adds loft with a natural open club face. So with the lower loft on the driver and hitting up, things must even it out a bit. 

2 hours ago, LCP said:

I switched to his swing with my woods and driver about six weeks ago. (I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! -- 70% STRAIGHTER AND NO LOWER BACK PAIN OR GOLFER'S ELBOW -- ALL GONE NOW!! AND HANDICAP HAS DROPPED 2 SHOTS [3 shots really--but I had ballooned up badly in the two weeks prior] IN THAT TIME AND I'VE GOT MORE TO GO).  Bryson really seems to stay planted on his rear foot.  That requires weight on it.  That makes it go left.  Also a little bit forward of middle ball position with this swing sends it left.  And it does it with a high positive angle of attack.  That explains his 5.5º driver.  I might be missing 20mph of his swing speed, but I hit some HIGH shots now.  So much that I'm looking for lower flight with a 7.5º G410 Plus/Ventus Black 7X and 12º G400 Stretch "3 wood"/Speeder 869 8.2X.  As a result I'm trying to keep weight forward some (a big fault of mine is over swinging on the backswing and hanging back on my rear foot) to reduce the upward angle of attack, but the problem with keeping the weight forward is that it introduces a miss to the right.  Keeping his weight planted on his rear foot is why he goes left.  If I'm gonna do that, I need to start playing 3.5" tees with my driver.  My hits are all super-low on the face if I don't try to force weight to the front foot.

i did the same a few months back, and got similar results. Greatest step I made this year. Now, I've transitioned throughout my bag using Junge's method.

Still trying to work out all these changes, but teeing a bit higher while moving the ball back a smidge usual helps me. I don't move my weight a bit forward, the weight remains to the rear with all tee shots and I only get to the front by the momentum of the swing.

Results: I get my 3w today to the distance of my driver 3 months ago.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

It appears the left hand is very weak while the right hand is very neutral. He’s slinging the right hand while the left is in a position not to roll over. Just my take. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

7 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

It appears the left hand is very weak while the right hand is very neutral. He’s slinging the right hand while the left is in a position not to roll over. Just my take. 

Any slow motion video of Bryson will show the left arm/hand is rolling over but since it's a weak grip it doesn't generally roll over too much.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

A single plane swing might be better for accuracy but Bryson didn't hit his drives so straight so maybe not so much. It may help people who let go of the club during the takeaway or who have a severe in to out move.

Also, a single swing plane won't help pick up yardage either as Bryson swung hard than 6 or 7 other pro's that outdrove him. 

Notes:

"Eliminate the variables" ?

Not just the driver. His entire golf game

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I’d really like to see his swing path numbers compared to other pros... I feel like his setup is designed for a more consistent swing path to reduce spin variation... then it’s just a matter of face angle at impact to hit the ball on his target line..

thats my current operating theory.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

On 9/20/2020 at 10:16 PM, David69 said:

Those grip pics show a very weak, thumb straight down top of club one knuckle grip. And with very little club face manipulation I would guess that this setup naturally adds loft with a natural open club face. So with the lower loft on the driver and hitting up, things must even it out a bit. 

Super upright lie also helps it stay left. 

• Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 9/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, David69 said:

How does low loft open the face ?

I’ve read that a few people have had success changing to Brysons style of set up and have been hitting it a lot more consistent. 

I fooled around with it a bit and was hitting huge blocks the entire time then near the end of the session started duck hooking as overcompensation. 

It felt like I was keeping the wrists so quiet though. Any ideas what I’m messing up that a coupe of you others here have been nailing down since trying?

My driver is my weakness and I hit the rest of my clubs relatively well and I was hoping the Bryson style could be a new hope for finally putting the driver back in the bag. 

Edited by New_age99

3 hours ago, New_age99 said:

I’ve read that a few people have had success changing to Brysons style of set up and have been hitting it a lot more consistent. 

I fooled around with it a bit and was hitting huge blocks the entire time then near the end of the session started duck hooking as overcompensation. 

It felt like I was keeping the wrists so quiet though. Any ideas what I’m messing up that a coupe of you others here have been nailing down since trying?

My driver is my weakness and I hit the rest of my clubs relatively well and I was hoping the Bryson style could be a new hope for finally putting the driver back in the bag. 

Just thinking out load . Could this have been caused due to not having my hands forward / leading through impact ? I just watched a Kirk Junge video and he advocates the hands / grip leading the strike at impact and I feel like I was definitely not doing that on the range. 

It seems like this would keep my club face square for longer during the low point of the swing. 

I’ll have to try it out once hurricane Teddy passes.