Rickie Fowler is a cautionary tale in overexposing a superstar

BlackDiamondPar5

On 12/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, miamistomp said:

Very few sportsmen have the competitive fire once the wallet is full

I think this is a good point. I feel rory mcilroy has a bit of this issue. If your going to play golf to be great... then just be great... use that great talent to achieve... instead it seems like... ok well i won a few... i made a few $$$ lets try and stay within top 20... shut up... your too talented... go for it man... just win it at all cost.... the money will be there no matter what... unless you just missed the last 7 cuts like byeung hun ann... i think thats how you spell it?

More fuel to the fire that he's not super driven, despite being on the cut line with two weeks left he's not playing the Barracuda next week.  He's almost certainly going to drop out of the top 125 and have to get back in by playing well at Wyndham.  He's not in danger of losing card as he's got all time money list exemptions to use but considering he's been ticking up lately you'd think he'd play next week after having this week off to try to get in to the playoffs and maybe get hot and advance.  Everyone wants to win but decisions like this make me question if he cares as much as the other high profile players.  Kuch has accomplished more than Rickie and is sitting at 120 and has no problem playing in the opposite field event.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cincy_Ken said:

More fuel to the fire that he's not super driven, despite being on the cut line with two weeks left he's not playing the Barracuda next week.  He's almost certainly going to drop out of the top 125 and have to get back in by playing well at Wyndham.  He's not in danger of losing card as he's got all time money list exemptions to use.

Fowler is fully exempt on the PGA Tour through the 2022-23 season.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:22 AM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I think this is a good point. I feel rory mcilroy has a bit of this issue. If your going to play golf to be great... then just be great... use that great talent to achieve... instead it seems like... ok well i won a few... i made a few $$$ lets try and stay within top 20... shut up... your too talented... go for it man... just win it at all cost.... the money will be there no matter what... unless you just missed the last 7 cuts like byeung hun ann... i think thats how you spell it?

See, I’d push back on that.

The drive that Rory has had throughout his life is at such a high bar, you and I can’t begin to understand it.

Not that we have not shown as much drive and guts in our lives overall (well, you anyway ; ), but

We have never experienced what it means to be blessed with the talent Rory has but also work your fingers to the bone, eat sleep, breath, just one thing, from childhood to manhood,  in pursuit of

Destroying everything and everyone in your way until you stand on top of a pile of your foes and proclaim:

B13975C5-863F-4BB1-A254-4546AB5E2550.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, oikos1 said:

Lol.  He took this:

220px-Rickie_fowler.jpg

I liked his look better then. Didn’t know if he was getting ready to jump on the ol’ dirt bike and hit a sick triple or go play a round! 🤣

*btw. Thanks for reminding me I need to buy more yogurt! 🙏🏼 

Edited by TiScape

23 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Cauntionary tale of Pro Golf with a little marketing and some decent play can make you wealthy as all the haters combined telling you what you should do. 

“All the haters telling you what you should do.” You just nailed social media in a nut shell! 😂 It’s just good old fashioned gossip on a grand scale. Like someone else here said a while ago. Probably been around since cavemen. 

*I just made a similar post in another sub-forum regarding the internet/social media. Sorry to anyone that read both. 😜

43 minutes ago, Cincy_Ken said:

Because of the all time money list exemptions, right? Hasn't won since 2019 so he's not exempt based on any tournament wins

No. It's due to his wins. He won the 2015 Players Championship which gave him a 5 year exemption on the PGA Tour. So that alone made him exempt from the 2015-16 season until 2019-2020. When C19 hit last year the PGA Tour froze in place a players playing status and said everybody would carry the same exempt status into 2020-2021. Now as Fowlers five year exemption was being used he won 3 additional times. A player can only be exempt for 5 years at a time so Fowler got nothing additional for his other win in 2015. However as he was losing years on his Players exemption he picked up an additional year of being exempt for his tour wins in 2017 and 2019 which further extended his exempt status. Which is how he is exempt through 2022-2023.

It's hard for me to look at his overall career and say underachiever.   He won multiple times, has been top 3 in the majors, yes looking at his career through the microscope of all PGA Tour players, perhaps he could have accomplished more, but he's #24 on the career money list and is only 32 years old.

Edited by dan360
  • Like 2
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

18 hours ago, dan360 said:

It's hard for me to look at his overall career and say underachiever.   He won multiple times, has been top 3 in the majors, yes looking at his career through the microscope of all PGA Tour players, perhaps he could have accomplished more, but he's #24 on the career money list and is only 32 years old.

I wouldnt say underachiever maybe the expectations were/are too high. All you ever heard was its just a matter of time before he wins a major, alot of sponsors invested thinking that. Right now Cobra golf has no one. 

Edited by freeze16172002
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I have a goof ball theory that's just spitballing. Isn't it a coincidence that both Speith and Fowlers games dropped off substantially AFTER they got married? Look at the three amigos, Fowler, Speith and Thomas. Look a their games before they got married vs after. I love these three guys and for a short period they were as big as any big three ever. Add in Smiley Kaufman to the mix and it's too coincidental.

I was at a Birmingham Barons game a few years ago when all three were in town for Smileys wedding. It was the four of them at the game and they were partying it up, drinking beers and interacting with the fans. It was quite the sight. They seemed to be having so much fun and cared so much for each other. They were bros. Smiley got married first and his game imploded and still not recovered. Jordan was next, his game fell but he's recovered. Ricky after and similar downward trajectory. Justin Thomas has not gotten married and he's still top of the world. No fall off whatsoever. The commonality and divergence is eerily weird.  

36 minutes ago, DanoCanuck said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I have a goof ball theory that's just spitballing. Isn't it a coincidence that both Speith and Fowlers games dropped off substantially AFTER they got married? Look at the three amigos, Fowler, Speith and Thomas. Look a their games before they got married vs after. I love these three guys and for a short period they were as big as any big three ever. Add in Smiley Kaufman to the mix and it's too coincidental.

I was at a Birmingham Barons game a few years ago when all three were in town for Smileys wedding. It was the four of them at the game and they were partying it up, drinking beers and interacting with the fans. It was quite the sight. They seemed to be having so much fun and cared so much for each other. They were bros. Smiley got married first and his game imploded and still not recovered. Jordan was next, his game fell but he's recovered. Ricky after and similar downward trajectory. Justin Thomas has not gotten married and he's still top of the world. No fall off whatsoever. The commonality and divergence is eerily weird.  

You’re fairly new here. I can tell you that that theory has already been kicked around here many times. Typically gets quite the rise out of people. 

10 hours ago, DanoCanuck said:

Somewhere deep in this thread I think I actually plotted that graph. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lenny171 said:

These announcers on PGA Live are doing all they can to prop up Rickie right now.. its so sad

Rickie should Fire Tillery, call Butch, move to Vegas for 2 months and get his swing and mind right before the Shriners, 

I'm sure his pregnant wife would love Rickie moving to Vegas...

Rickie has spent a year trying to figure out his swing and it's still coming around - but yeah if he just spent the next two months with a totally different teacher doing totally different things he would be fine.

• Haha 1