Rick Shiels Butchers another Tech Review - AutoFlex

jmorrow020

Most of what you read on any forum reflects personal bias on the part of the author- intentional or unintentional. Up to you to sort it out.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

28 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That's not true at all. 

I thought I was seeing things and then I checked the comments section in YouTube and someone else commented on the wrapper. If it’s simply an optical illusion due to the lighting and paint finish of the club then my apologies to Mr Shiels

22 minutes ago, GroverC said:

GolfTurkey, at 6:18 he is just re-showing the look of the club at the beginning of the video.  If he had hit it with the plastic on don't you think there would have been some ball marks on the plastic instead of it looking all shiny and new?

This. It's just how the video is edited. 

On 12/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, David69 said:

So what should he have done? Tried that shaft with 5 different club heads in an environmentally controlled studio? I find the TXG videos are far more problematic and unrealistic. They need to get rid of that guy who swings 125+ and get a mortal in there. Or just use a swing robot. 

I totally agree, While I love Watching Ian and Matty talk golf it's just unrealistic to watch their reviews and gain anything unless you area  tour pro.

Matts swings is absolutely insane when he isn't listening to that goofball larry & his robot swing.  No weekend warrior even is sub 10 handicap can learn a thing from their reviews when Matt is getting 182mph Ball speeds with 2050 spin and a 15.5 degree launch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

6 minutes ago, ignitewvu said:

I totally agree, While I love Watching Ian and Matty talk golf it's just unrealistic to watch their reviews and gain anything unless you area  tour pro.

Matts swings is absolutely insane when he isn't listening to that goofball larry & his robot swing.  No weekend warrior even is sub 10 handicap can learn a thing from their reviews when Matt is getting 182mph Ball speeds with 2050 spin and a 15.5 degree launch.

Really? You'd learn more from someone who doesn't have enough speed to make distinguishments between products? Or someone with inconsistent strikes so again you can't tell the difference between anything?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ignitewvu said:

You can learn an incredible amount of information about equipment, no matter the swing. You just have to pay attention to the right things.

• Like 3

Thought the review was fair, and he built it right for his game. I am thinking this particular shaft is geared more for a swinger type golfer, not a hitter type golfer.

Anyways, after 20 to 30 swings, you should have a decent idea if it is working for or against your swing.  And this shaft is pricey.

More than most are willing to pay.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

On 12/28/2020 at 11:40 AM, MaineMariner said:

Like him or not, Shiels is one of the very few "influencers" that will totally pan a product. Almost all of the online reviewers just read the press release for the club/ball/whatever, give it a couple whacks, and say a few nice but generic/non-controversial things and move on. 

This so much. When all the clubs you review are 4 or 5 stars and your conclusion is always “it’s great” then your review is worthless. Same goes for when the tester is a -2 or somebody swinging their driver 110. I would expect those people to be able to hit just about anything, what I want to know is how it works for a 10, or maybe a 20. At least I feel like this guy will give his honest opinion (even if it may be wrong) rather than reading the presser and blowing smoke up my azz because they’re terrified some OEM rep won’t be their buddy any more.

2 minutes ago, PuffyC said:

This so much. When all the clubs you review are 4 or 5 stars and your conclusion is always “it’s great” then your review is worthless. Same goes for when the tester is a -2 or somebody swinging their driver 110. I would expect those people to be able to hit just about anything, what I want to know is how it works for a 10, or maybe a 20. At least I feel like this guy will give his honest opinion (even if it may be wrong) rather than reading the presser and blowing smoke up my azz because they’re terrified some OEM rep won’t be their buddy any more.

The problem with that logic though is that the needs of the 10 or the 20 are not fixed/static. What really helps one may be terrible for another, and in order to actually properly represent the higher handicap demographic, you would really need to have 2 or 3 people with completely different tendencies. One who's fault tends towards early extension/OTT/steep, another that comes way from the inside and flips, and another who is maybe limited by injury/age/some other physical impediment. Specifically for drivers as well, because those three players will have very different needs and benefit from quite different setups. 

If you only have one reviewer, it is better to have someone on the lower handicap side with a fairly neutral swing. But then you have guys like "The Average Golfer" who is older and has a heinously over the top swing which is probably a better fit for the average weekend player. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2 minutes ago, ode said:

^Sorry cannot get text anywhere but in the box.....so I'll type here.  Vid likely edited to show when club was taken out of the box.

Definitely possible although I saw spots on the hosel and club face while he was hitting that looked like bunched up plastic (but could have been reflections). And if he edited the video to show the wrapped club at the end then that's pretty strange editing; I wasn't the only person who got the impression that he hit a wrapped club.

31 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Definitely possible although I saw spots on the hosel and club face while he was hitting that looked like bunched up plastic (but could have been reflections). And if he edited the video to show the wrapped club at the end then that's pretty strange editing; I wasn't the only person who got the impression that he hit a wrapped club.

6:19 see toe

Screenshot_20201230-184938.png

Edited by ode

This is silly guys, c'mon. He was very obviously not hitting it with the plastic on. Minus the weird choice in editing showing it covered in plastic at the end (with NO marks on it btw, obviously not hit), there are multiple close ups with it clearly showing no plastic on it, ball marks on the face, etc etc. Its a shiny club, that is it. If the plastic was on it would be shredded on the sole and heavily marked up on the face. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

38 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

This is silly guys, c'mon. He was very obviously not hitting it with the plastic on. Minus the weird choice in editing showing it covered in plastic at the end (with NO marks on it btw, obviously not hit), there are multiple close ups with it clearly showing no plastic on it, ball marks on the face, etc etc. Its a shiny club, that is it. If the plastic was on it would be shredded on the sole and heavily marked up on the face. 

Don’t bring logic into this! 

• Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

11 hours ago, calfan36 said:

Really? You'd learn more from someone who doesn't have enough speed to make distinguishments between products? Or someone with inconsistent strikes so again you can't tell the difference between anything?

Yes. What you described is 99% of the golfing world.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

Yes. What you described is 99% of the golfing world.

But TXGs whole point is to show differences in equipment performance, can’t really do that if if the person testing it isn’t making a repeatable swing. When Rick started making videos and reviews he was probably near a scratch too and no one complained he was too good and they couldn’t learn anything. There’s a reason almost all the well known people making similar videos are really good golfers, doesn’t work if they aren’t. 

Edited by FatThinShank

10 hours ago, FatThinShank said:

But TXGs whole point is to show differences in equipment performance, can’t really do that if if the person testing it isn’t making a repeatable swing. When Rick started making videos and reviews he was probably near a scratch too and no one complained he was too good and they couldn’t learn anything. There’s a reason almost all the well known people making similar videos are really good golfers, doesn’t work if they aren’t. 

Have you seen a big difference in performance from the reviews once the tester has been fitted? I haven't. Driver numbers are usually within a few yards and the same with irons. The 3 longest drivers of 2020 that Matt tested were all within 4 yards of carry of each other.

Edited by braincramp52

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Silly ... bah, so says the guy claiming that Rick Shiels can time travel and film conclusions before his introduction!! IMO there are far more logical, rational explanations like:

• Rick Shiels is an extremely youthful-looking 90 year old and he frequently forgets to remove wrappers and to feed his cats.
  • Rick Shiels did this on purpose knowing that it would cause arguments on GolfWRX. If you look carefully at the wrapper at the end of the video, it looks like the kind of plastic wrap used for sandwiches, not golf club wrappers. He might just have sneaked it on there, the mischievous little imp.
  • Rick Shiels had too many single malts with his Christmas turkey and was focusing on hitting the middle ball, not removing the wrapper.
  • Teton's club was wrapped in the same kind of plastic that most products come in these days and basically requires a chainsaw to remove. That stuff would dent the ball, not vice versa.
  • There were two clubs and he hit one of them. He showed the non-hit club at the end to cover up his rookie mistake (like duh, who would actually fess up and show a club with a mangled wrapper?).
  • Teton uses the same packaging company as Ping. I hit probably 15 shots with my G410 hybrid before I realized it was a little too shiny. There was barely a mark on it too (alas probably indicative of my swing speed...)

Ok, I'll show myself out now, bourbon's running low...

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, calfan36 said:

Well then you won't get any useful results

That's what I said. Point being, there isn't a hell of a lot of difference between any of the equipment being produced today when you compare apples to apples outside of sound (feel) and looks.

Edited by braincramp52

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

22 hours ago, Red4282 said:

You can learn an incredible amount of information about equipment, no matter the swing. You just have to pay attention to the right things.

As a 5'7" 68 year old man who hits his tee shots 200-220 yards and his 7 iron 130 yards, what are the things I should be paying attention to that are going to benefit me by watching a guy like Matt from TXG pound balls?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Lol.  I had much rather see Rick test something than most others.   Why ?  I’m used to his opinions and he doesn’t usually claim something is superb.  He gives pretty pedestrian opinions.  Which I think is truthful.  And I agree with him.  Shaft differences are way over blown.   And I’m a guy with speed closer to txg testing than Ricks.  But if you pay attention.  Txg tests a million shaft head combos.  And rarely is one really miles different.  The largest shaft difference is feel.  Which willl help or hurt how you deliver the club.   That’s all. 

as far as those griping that he used it in “ standard length “.    What is standard length ?   Maybe he plays his driver at 44 and this is Tm standard at 45.5 ( or whatever it is ) ? Common sense says that if the auto flex works for 48 inches , it should work with less speed at 45.5.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

As a 5'7" 68 year old man who hits his tee shots 200-220 yards and his 7 iron 130 yards, what are the things I should be paying attention to that are going to benefit me by watching a guy like Matt from TXG pound balls?

Ok for example, lets say they have a video testing two driver heads against each other. Driver head A launches at 14 degrees, driver head B launches at 12.5 degrees. The delivery and strike were nearly identical. Its safe to assume driver head A has lower COG and and will launch higher than driver B, and thats at ALL speeds. 

• Like 2