Best driving iron for not driving

jomatty

Who is incorporating utility irons into their sets, but using them primarily off the deck?  What irons do you find have good turf interaction and work well in this way?  I’m looking for something to bridge between my 18 degree hybrid and my 5 iron.  I currently have a 20 degree Cleveland uhx which I neither love nor hate.  It does its job and I may just replace the shaft in it and call it a day (it came with an excessively light shaft and while I like going a little lighter in this style club, it is extreme).  It’s big and ugly but is a decent compromise between a hybrid and a traditional iron. 
I really like my 18 degree hybrid and certainly see the logic of using another hybrid, but in the past I’ve found that I had gapping issues and had issues with the higher lofted hybrids (obviously a swing issue and perhaps eventually I’ll learn to hit it better).  For now though, I’d like the flexibility of an iron.  
I’m leaning towards the srixon zu85 or possibly the new srixon utility.  I like that I could also swap out the 5 iron if I wanted, while most of the utility irons do not offer 5 irons.  I’m also considering just going with a game improvement 4 iron.  My current “5” iron is an epic forged 6 iron (loft and length work out really well as a 5 iron).  An epic forged 5 iron would fill the gap nicely, if I could find one that did not cost a fortune.  Something like a sim max 4 iron or a ping g710 or g425 could also work well.  
for what it’s worth I fluctuated from a low handicap of 5.8 last year to around 7 currently (have played 3-4 times a week through the winter and it’s tough out there!).  So I’m not terrible, but not great either...moderate swing speed player (driver ss 102ish).  As someone who is slower speed i dont use the driving iron off the tee very much and also need something that offers some help for the 4 iron (I’m currently using apex pro’s and the 4 and 5 iron are a little too much for me).

any suggestions for utility irons that perform well off the deck?

• Like 1

Yes, try the Srixon. I use the ZU85 between my 19 hybrid and 5 iron. It’s my 4 iron replacement really.

Works fine off the deck, but some people may not like the wide sole. The new ZX Utility has a thinner sole, as does the Callaway I believe 

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 1 month later...

Just put a Srixon Z U85 2i in my bag two weeks ago before heading to Oregon for a handful of rounds.  I was looking to replace my hybrid as i struggled to hit it well.  It might be my new favorite club in my bag.  It doesn't quite work in marginal lies or in extremely deep rough, but in almost every other situation it performed exceptionally well.  I picked it based off of research and bought it without any in-hand testing, and what they say is true, it really just does a little bit of everything....easy launch but not too high, good turf interaction off the deck, fairway finder off the tee.  Highly recommend.   

I really like the Ping Utility irons. They launch really high, almost hybrid like. 

However, i do prefer hybrids

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I few years ago I had a Cobra utility iron that I struggled to get off a tee let alone a fairway. I put in the same shaft as my irons which I think was a lot of the struggle. Last year I used a Maltby FDI and this spring I've been using the newest Cobra model (one length version). Both seem pretty easy to hit of the deck for me, but the key I think has been going to a different shaft than the irons. I've found going one "tier" lighter than my irons (say 105 g instead of 120 g) and one tier up in launch (say low to mid) has been the sweet spot for me in getting the utility irons to work of the fairway. 

I bought a Sub 70 699U for between my 3 hybrid and 5 iron. I used for the first time today. First time about 190 out and I put less than 10 from the hole. Nice low piercing flight. Next hole, Par 3 195 to the front, a very stiff wind right at me and again nice low piercing flight straight right between 2 bunkers and ended just short of the fringe. Third time I used it the the ball was way above my feet. Caught it a little fat still went straight but not nearly as far, only about 160. Even with that last one I was pretty impressed. Definitely easy to hit and the ball really jumps off the face.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

8 minutes ago, Markrip said:

I bought a Sub 70 699U for between my 3 hybrid and 5 iron. I used for the first time today. First time about 190 out and I put less than 10 from the hole. Nice low piercing flight. Next hole, Par 3 195 to the front, a very stiff wind right at me and again nice low piercing flight straight right between 2 bunkers and ended just short of the fringe. Third time I used it the the ball was way above my feet. Caught it a little fat still went straight but not nearly as far, only about 160. Even with that last one I was pretty impressed. Definitely easy to hit and the ball really jumps off the face.

For the price, the sub70 utility is pretty awesome... I don’t love the feel of most utility irons, with some being too firm and some feeling hollow... the sub70 was a Goldilocks club for me as it felt just right.

it’s definitely worth a look, if only because they have demo programs and a friendly return policy.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Titleist U510 really launches high and is a hot face if you can get over the chunkier look to it. 

• Like 2

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

Try a hollow GI/SGI 3 or 4 iron , like Mizuno MP-H4 or H5, or PXG 0311XF, Honma TW-X, Titleist T-MB, ...

Edited by 95124hacker
  • Like 2

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

On 3/22/2021 at 5:48 PM, Markrip said:

which shaft did you put? I ordered with riptide thinking it would help me with getting the ball up in the air. I liked how riptide hybrid shaft felt in other clubs but it was not a DI. 

To me, Driving and Utility iron are one and the same.  And let's not forget the 2 iron and 1 iron (I have both), which are supposed to be more difficult to use because they are irons.  I don't buy it.  At times, I still take out my 16' 1 iron.  Thinking about ordering the  41" 88g Tensei AV White AM "S, 1 iron shaft for it.

Scuttlebutt is touring pros are now dropping hybrids in favor of driving or utility (UT) irons.  Thanks to CAD suddenly every OEM is making one.  The term 'Utility' appears to be interchangeable with hybrids and 5-9 woods, too.  I heard the Exotics CBX Iron-wood is pretty darn easy to use. 

My Titleist 718 T-MB 17' is called a 2 iron probably because it's made to look like a blade iron, as opposed to a UT.  It does double-duty from the tee and off-the-deck.  The other day I used it for 2nd shot on a Par 5, almost reached the green too.  Just recalling good shots makes me feel good.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 3/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, MtlJeff said:

I really like the Ping Utility irons. They launch really high, almost hybrid like. 

However, i do prefer hybrids

I couldn't disagree more.  I do not like my ping crossover off a tight lie.  It's great off the tee or a fluffy lie on the rough.  

My 21° 7w fills the gap between my 18° 5w and 5i.  

2 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  I do not like my ping crossover off a tight lie.  It's great off the tee or a fluffy lie on the rough.  

Suggestion, I play tight lie conditions almost weekly.  I choke-down about 1.5" for shot's off the deck and sweep the ball nicely.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

9 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Which one do you use? I have less experience with the new one. I still regularly use a G400 and it launches very high for a driving iron, almost as high as my Apex Hybrids

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I never gave driving irons much thought because I always thought they were for better players with higher swing speeds. As you can imagine, I was pretty blown away when I tried one for the first time last month. Tried both a 21* Callaway Apex UT and a 22* Hogan UiHi. Both game me a nice high but penetrating flight that was perfect for short tight par 4s. My 20.5* hybrid does not travel as far and I attribute that to it's more floaty ball flight. I also find them a lot more accurate off the tee. Look forward to hearing what you guys recommend as I too would like a UT that is capable of doing double duty. Had mixed results with the UiHI off the deck but I wasn't swinging my best at the time.

Anyone try the Maltby KE4 FDI? Hope @Popeye64 chimes in.

This year's ZXU from Srixon has been money for me. I can hit it off the deck as well as off the tee. This is coming from someone who didnt carry anything higher than a 5i. I always had trouble elevating 4i+ off the deck, but not with the ZXU. It gets up high quickly and is quite forgiving.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

2 hours ago, sociojeje said:

which shaft did you put? I ordered with riptide thinking it would help me with getting the ball up in the air. I liked how riptide hybrid shaft felt in other clubs but it was not a DI. 

I set it up like my irons. I have KBS Tour 90s that are hard stepped in my irons. I thought I might go with a hybrid shaft but after talking to Jason we decided to match it with my irons. Based on the first time I played and a range session since I really like that set up. No problem getting it in the air and pretty straight even on my less than stellar swings.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

@naj959 here you go.

The FDI is one of my favorite clubs. I actually play either the 2 or the 3 depending on the course. I was very happy they brought back and updated the HDI. The FDI has a softer feel to it as it's not as hard as the DBM finished HDI. Plus the FDI is bendable. 

This design is far more iron like design than a traditional Hybrid. The KE4 Tour TC Hybrid will give you that super high flying pop out of the rough club. The TOUR TC is stupid easy to hit but for me it flies higher than I prefer. The FDI will give you that boring, cut through the wind flight that wants to go forever.  The sole has a descent amount of rocker built into it that it remains fairly turf friendly. It can dig something out of the cabbage if need be but not it's strong suit. The Tour TC is more suited for that. From the fairway and light rough it's a fun club to use. It's accurate and easy to hit. I have mine paired with an Xcaliber Rapid Taper 75g S flex. The feel at launch is sublime. 

The look at address allows you to see the back of the head but it's not so bad that it will draw your eye to it. Compact yet still substantial is a way to describe it. 

The inexpensive and easy to purchase weight allows infinite length, shaft and swingweight options. It baffles me why all don't brands don't have a setup like this in use. 

20210324_165131.jpg

20210324_165151.jpg

20210324_164821.jpg

20210324_164809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

To me, Driving and Utility iron are one and the same.  And let's not forget the 2 iron and 1 iron (I have both), which are supposed to be more difficult to use because they are irons.  I don't buy it.  At times, I still take out my 16' 1 iron.  Thinking about ordering the  41" 88g Tensei AV White AM "S, 1 iron shaft for it.

Scuttlebutt is touring pros are now dropping hybrids in favor of driving or utility (UT) irons.  Thanks to CAD suddenly every OEM is making one.  The term 'Utility' appears to be interchangeable with hybrids and 5-9 woods, too.  I heard the Exotics CBX Iron-wood is pretty darn easy to use. 

My Titleist 718 T-MB 17' is called a 2 iron probably because it's made to look like a blade iron, as opposed to a UT.  It does double-duty from the tee and off-the-deck.  The other day I used it for 2nd shot on a Par 5, almost reached the green too.  Just recalling good shots makes me feel good.

Can concurr with you as usual--- Just slipped my old Eye2 1 iron with the stock "medium" steel shaft in the bag. I can not hit it as good as I used to but it is pretty well effective here in these Coastal winds. can hit a head high 190 cut that runs like stink either off a tee or flat off the fairway

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

2 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

@naj959 here you go.

The FDI is one of my favorite clubs. I actually play either the 2 or the 3 depending on the course. I was very happy they brought back and updated the HDI. The FDI has a softer feel to it as it's not as hard as the DBM finished HDI. Plus the FDI is bendable. 

This design is far more iron like design than a traditional Hybrid. The KE4 Tour TC Hybrid will give you that super high flying pop out of the rough club. The TOUR TC is stupid easy to hit but for me it flies higher than I prefer. The FDI will give you that boring, cut through the wind flight that wants to go forever.  The sole has a descent amount of rocker built into it that it remains fairly turf friendly. It can dig something out of the cabbage if need be but not it's strong suit. The Tour TC is more suited for that. From the fairway and light rough it's a fun club to use. It's accurate and easy to hit. I have mine paired with an Xcaliber Rapid Taper 75g S flex. The feel at launch is sublime. 

The look at address allows you to see the back of the head but it's not so bad that it will draw your eye to it. Compact yet still substantial is a way to describe it. 

The inexpensive and easy to purchase weight allows infinite length, shaft and swingweight options. It baffles me why all don't brands don't have a setup like this in use. 

20210324_165131.jpg

20210324_165151.jpg

20210324_164821.jpg

20210324_164809.jpg

Good Stick IMHO it is vastly underrated like most Maltby stuff

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Which one do you use? I have less experience with the new one. I still regularly use a G400 and it launches very high for a driving iron, almost as high as my Apex Hybrids

I have the same.  The crossover gives me a slight advantage vs the G400 4i off the tee but I prefer the 4i off the tight fairway lies.  The crossover is too large a clunky club for me to make consistent clean contact.  

Love the U500 3-iron. I do use it both off tee and deck, but it is very easy to launch and playable from fairway and rough. Size is pretty good as you can only see a bit of the back from address. 

it is between my 5 wood and 4 iron and use it at least 2-3 times per round typically. 

On 3/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, aph2011 said:

Titleist U510 really launches high and is a hot face if you can get over the chunkier look to it. 

In a fitting was between this and a g425 hybrid for me. I have the g400 crossover in the bag and found the u510 much easier to hit. Ended up ordering the g425 2-hyrbid, but still might grab the u510 3 iron depending on the gapping between the hybrid and my p790 4-iron, whenever it arrives.

D - Ping G425 Max - Alta CB Slate 55s

3w - Callaway Rogue, Fujikura Atmos TS Red 6s

2h - Ping g425, Fujikura Atmos TS Red 7s

3h - Ping g400 Crossover - Alta CB S

4-AW - Taylormade P790 (2019) - Nippon NS Pro 950s

54* - Vokey F-Grind

68* - Bokey M-Grind

Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee 5

(top of bag rotates)

Just put in a Zu85 "5" as an experiment. So crazy easy to launch. Good for a low ss/ launch/spin player like ol me.

But had it out on the course yesterday and it ballooned. Came up what looked like as much as 20 yards short.

Playing the stock recoil stiff shaft. 

I rarely ever over power a shaft. Any input?

Thanks and FORE!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol