What Irons do LPGA players game

oscar10

I’ve been told on a number of occasions by a golf teacher that average men players should look at what LPGA players play and how they swing. Makes sense to me. I’ve been reading for years that LPGA playersplay cavity back irons for the forgiveness for and love Nippon shafts. So, I thought it funny when I checked to see what they are playing this year and  found that all the players (at least the 10 I checked) playing Pings play i210. Now isn’t that a Players distance iron? Has there been a shift in thinking and should guyslike me who swing driver 93 mph and 7 iron 75 change our thinking. I tend to hit the middle of the club face pretty consistently and have a very straight ball flight. Have a little flip in my swing, which I’m working to correct, and hit the ball too high. Right now I play Rogue irons with regular flex graphite shafts and was told by a fitter, at a driver fitting no less LOL,  I should go to steel and more of a players iron. That’s why Istarted looking at what the women play. 

I don't think anyone would consider the I210s a players distance iron as Ping in this category are usually shorter than other OEM's offerings.  They are however very consistent across the face and known for their distance and flight control while still offering all that Ping engineering goodness to help on the less than stellar strikes.

You can get the lofts bent stronger if need be to the 'power spec' configuration.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

A Revolving Door

3 minutes ago, tsecor said:

the LPGA players would decimate the average male golfer but i would place a bet that most men wouldnt want to look to the LPGA for tips and would rather compare themselves to Spieth and Koepka.....lol....

I'm sure it was meant by comparable swing speeds and general set make up (ie, more than 1 hybrid in the bag) and not over all game.  Spieth is rather pedestrian in this category by the men's standard without the model swing, so not a bad one to go by to swing your own swing and still be successful.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 2

A Revolving Door

43 minutes ago, tsecor said:

the LPGA players would decimate the average male golfer but i would place a bet that most men wouldnt want to look to the LPGA for tips and would rather compare themselves to Spieth and Koepka.....lol....

I definitely identify with Spieth.  I had a fairly decent game for a few years then decided to change something that didn't really need to be changed and my game has been in the tank ever since.  I'd happily play play ladies clubs if they helped me score better.  Yes, I know the LPGA players don't use off the shelf ladies clubs.  There is no doubt in my mind the LPGA players would roast the overwhelming majority of us.  I've been beaten by teenage girls and men well into their 80s.  

• Like 3

Though LPGA players are much better at scoring than average JOE golfer what the ladies play club wise is a separate issue that should not relate to average Joe golfer.  IMO - what that teacher said wasn't the best advice, unless of course, throughout life "you" compare yourself to accomplished women as opposed to accomplished men.  Yep, that is the question. 

Many of the stronger women bag player irons, but heads are not a measure worth debating.  They have the game to effectively use what ever clubs heads they like and hit the ball consistently.  IMO - What tells more about their game is what shafts they play. 

Lots of old golf guys see the distances women hit the ball as comparable to their own, so they relate.   I see it as apples and oranges.  I chose to live up to the most accomplished men, athletes and pro male golfers, even when I can't equal their accomplishments, it's still about aspiring for me, NOT relating.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I’ve played with high school girls once while on vacation about 20 years ago and I had walked on single. Non of the other regular golfers wanted to play with these two little girls and their father. I said sure. Turned out the had just graduated, were twins, and both going to SC somewhere on Golf scholarships. They both shot mid 70’s from reg men’s tees. Point is I know that LPGA players are great players and would kick most amateur men’s butts.  I was just wondering if they have started shifting to players distance. The cavity back forgiving irons is a quote from Lexi Thompson who says why not get some extra forgiveness. And she also plays project x 5.0 shafts. At least she did at the time of the interview I read.

• Like 2

I can learn from people with skills no matter what gender. Just depends on what is being studied - some skills perhaps require a role model with the same chromosome but others, not so much. I learned much of my job management skills from two different women bosses over the years. I still recall one of them saying, "you know, management is 25% "mommy he hit me" and 75% "mommy he took my stuff.".

A few years back I walked along with Min Jee Lee's group during a tournament at Riviera. That was a swing that I would emulate in a heartbeat. And it likely wouldn't result in me ending up in traction, unlike if I tried to swing like Bryson et al...

• Like 3

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

I frequently play around LPGA players and see their bags - they all use “players” equipment and none of them are out there with game improvement stuff.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I frequently play around LPGA players and see their bags - they all use “players” equipment and none of them are out there with game improvement stuff.

I think that depends if you consider hybrids in the GI camp. Those that pure their 3i blade probably do 😆

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

A related comment on LPGA pro golfers...

If you want to see how to play hybrids, walk 18 at a women's pro tournament. A couple of years ago I got to caddie at a Symetra Tour event (LPGA developmental).

The women were magicians with the hybrids. After the opening round, I asked my player just how far she hit her 4H. She had used it off the tee, on a long par 3, and for two shorter approaches to par 4s.

She replied, "I hit my 4 hybrid as far as I need to!" 

Absolutely this. Many of these women do not hit it far off the tee at all. Inbee Park for instance averages less than 250 total off the tee. Most of their tournaments are played around 6400-6600 yards - longer than most average men play. Our men's league at my club is 6700 yards and my flight matches and club C are at 7100. Considering me and my friends are usually average 300 give or take 30 yards +/- depending on roll for time of year and wind off the tee, they have to be DEADLY with their long clubs to score as well as they do and they are. I would be interested to see some approach the green stats from 200 yards because I bet your GIR wise they keep up with the PGA players. They are fantastic with hybrids. Very few play 3 or 4 irons and many start at 6 or 7 iron. 

As far as models, as above you see a lot of players CBs. Titleist 716 and 718 seem to be especially common with the women, Ping i210 is a big one amongst others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

they have to be DEADLY with their long clubs to score as well as they do and they are. I would be interested to see some approach the green stats from 200 yards because I bet your GIR wise they keep up with the PGA players.

Long clubs overall. My player hit 12 of 14 fairways in the first round.

And, some of them really blast the ball. One of the other women in our threesome was 5-foot-7 and maybe 130 pounds, but was a real power hitter.

On one 560-yd. par 5 with a stovepipe double dogleg... She takes her 3W on the tee, lines up pointing to the edge of the dogleg trees, and launches a moonball over the top; this cuts 40 yards off the hole. Her ball ended up partially blocked by the treeline. She hits a low bullet 3W, appears headed OB, but the ball turned right 30 yards from doom and curved up onto the green. She ran her eagle putt 25 feet toward the cup, lipped it, and had a 1-foot tap in birdie.

Moonballs, sharp-slice bullets, all with her 3W. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I know Michelle Wie gamed Nike VR Pros at one point and I believe Vapor Pros too. Baller right there.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

11 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I don't think anyone would consider the I210s a players distance iron as Ping in this category are usually shorter than other OEM's offerings.  They are however very consistent across the face and known for their distance and flight control while still offering all that Ping engineering goodness to help on the less than stellar strikes.

You can get the lofts bent stronger if need be to the 'power spec' configuration.

I think they are pretty long! The i200 was 15 yards longer carry wise in the 4 iron than the 714AP2's for me, at only a 1.5 degree loft difference.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I think if your swing speed mirrors the LPGA tour players, then it’s worth looking at the WITB of LPGA Tour players., same goes for senior Champions Tour and PGA tour players at least as far a club make up from gapping.

Chances of PGA Tour players hitting the green from 240 yards out with an iron, is a lot greater than many of us regardless of swing speed. I think many high swing speed players would be better served with a 5-7 wood or hybrids.  

A friend of mine and I got paired with a girl and her father. She was devastated by her terrible play, and looked like she was going to cry. She shot 1 over from the men’s mid (white tees) Red-Gold-White-Blue-Black. She played for FSU and had her name on the bag in 2005.  I shot 75 from the Black and my buddy was 77. I was happy with my play, and my friend played well, but had a bad hole. He chipped in for 9 on a par 5 with 2 in the water 😂. I think he was more focused on the girls play, and impressing her, than our match. 

We were miles ahead of her off the tee, but she hit more GIR than both of us. Seems like everything 165 yards and out, she was hitting a either a hybrid or wood. In her bad day, she was better than both of us! 

I played a round of golf with a senior in 2007 that shot his age (69) and it was his 4th time doing so, 3 years strong. He told me his goal was to shoot 100, I knew what he meant. His entire bag was Callaway, and he carried 1-3-5-7-a Divine 9 wood with game improvement irons Callaway Hawkeye? It wasn’t a very long course out in Costa Mesa CA, but he did it from the tips. 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Added.

Interesting thread. It would be nice to see more ladies what’s in the bag.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Ping i210s are definitely not distance irons. The i500 is more in that category. Also, the i210 (and i200) is available in traditional and "power spec" lofts. 

For the Ping staffers, the i210 is pretty much a given. The Callaway staffers tend to lean towards the Apex Pros. The few Titleist staffers generally play T100s.

Nippon 950GH shafts are very popular. They're one of the higher launching shafts out there. You'll also find a number of players with graphite or graphite/steel fiber shafts in their irons, e.g. Lydia Ko, and Jin Young Ko. See: JYK WITB

Plenty of "what's in the bag" discussions in the LPGA subforum if one hangs around for a while, or searches for WITB. A few have been posted above. Here's Inbee Park's winning bag from last week's Kia Classic: Inbee WITB

Danielle Kang and Nelly Korda are both playing T100s currently. DK was playing CBs previously.

You'll see 5 hybrids in a lot of bags. Lydia Ko was deadly with her hybrid back in 2015 and 2016. I recall her winning a playoff at the CME Championship with a laser-like hybrid on the 18th. One of the big reasons I ditched my 5 iron.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

20 hours ago, FatThinShank said:

Huh?? The point is for people with

similar swing speed to LPGA players that that is a much better comparison when looking at what equipment pros use. You can aspire to be Jack Nicklaus all you want if that makes you feel better. Haha

You don't get it... LOL.  We're cut from very different cloth.  Thanks for clarifying WHO you relate to and why you like to think, though.  As I see it, most of the old guys I've encountered in match play don't know their SS, most don't know their club specs either, so there's NO way to actually relate as you suggest.   If LPGA players are hitting the ball further than YOU, it's because you don't have the same SS or impact position, but if it makes you feel better...

FYI, I don't related to JN because he no longer plays tournament golf.  If I relate to any older players it will be the guys I hopefully encounter "IF" I get through next year's qualifying for US Senior Champions Open, Super Senior category.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

30 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You don't get it... LOL.  We're cut from very different cloth.  Thanks for clarifying WHO you relate to and why you like to think, though.  As I see it, most of the old guys I've encountered in match play don't know their SS, most don't know their club specs either, so there's NO way to actually relate as you suggest.   If LPGA players are hitting the ball further than YOU, it's because you don't have the same SS or impact position, but if it makes you feel better...

FYI, I don't related to JN because he no longer plays tournament golf.  If I relate to any older players it will be the guys I hopefully encounter "IF" I get through next year's qualifying for US Senior Champions Open, Super Senior category.

I don’t see anything about the US Senior Open having a super senior category but I may have missed it.  What event are you referring to? 

can you provide a link?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

8 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I think many high swing speed players would be better served with a 5-7 wood or hybrids.  

Scott Stallings is one of the tour guys who carries a 7W. He said, specifically, that a 7W is more versatile than a driving iron: easier to flight up and down.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

17 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Scott Stallings is one of the tour guys who carries a 7W. He said, specifically, that a 7W is more versatile than a driving iron: easier to flight up and down.

17 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

I personally don’t carry a 7 wood, but I do carry a 3 + 4 hybrid, then go 5-PW.

I have a problem flighting 7 woods down, so a 4 hybrid is more versatile in that slot for me right now.   I’m certainly not opposed to it. I recently picked up a 4 wood, (which is the gateway drug to a 7 wood) I play steel shafts in my hybrids (Modus 105) I’m sure if I could find the right 7wood head to add weight to, and shorten the shaft (or play steel)  I’d consider putting a 7 wood in the bag

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Typo
  • Like 1