2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Lost their PGA Tour cards today.

TiScape

15 minutes ago, smashdn said:

The article I read said he could use his career earnings exemption if he chose.  What was mot surprising to me was that he was #35 in career earnings.  Admittedly I do not and did not follow the comings and goings of Ryan Moore very closely but gun-to-my-head would not have picked him that high.

Same article that had the Ryan Moore info said that while he had missed very few cuts he also was not in the top 25 in any tournament I think.  So cashing a check just not a good one.  

^Knowing that, it sort of kills the "journeyman Tour player" concept a bit doesn't it?  Tommy F doesn't fit that mold certainly but kind of goes to show you have to place pretty high fairly often to keep your card to be on Tour to cash those checks.

It seems like at some point Ryan decided that there are courses suited to his game and others that aren't, and he has focused on playing the events where he thinks he can contend and skipping the ones that don't fit him. 

Similar strategy to Boo Weekley. He does really well in the tournaments he chooses to play, and the rest of the time he'd rather be hunting or fishing. 

56 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

125 on the money list was the metric. 

I'm not going to try and figure out FedEx cup points, but take Charles Howell III as an example, if it was based on money. 

He's 129 on the money list this year at $947K. 125 is Francesco Molinari at $996K, so basically a difference of $50K. At the 2021 Players Championship, Charles Howell came in T9 (-8), making $339K, where 8th place (-9) made $468K, or ~$129K difference, more than enough to get him into the top 125. A one stroke difference. Run that across every tournament these guys play in every year, where one stroke can be the difference, hard to keep the card every year. Phenomenal that some guys keep their card as long as they do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fleetwood, Molinari and Willett will endure. All not having great seasons, certainly, but past results and exemptions will keep them in the mix until their fortunes turn around and normal service resumes. Fleetwood and Willett will no doubt regain form in time, prosper on the European Tour, and then get back into the PGA Tour mix via WGC, Majors money and world ranking points. Molinari's an odd one, though; and having moved relatively recently to LA the situation must be a bit of a head-scratcher for him. 

It's amazing to me that Jimmy Walker has struggled for so long though, and that he too now finds himself in a bit of a quandary. Up close he looks a fantastic player. Very much in the Ryo Ishikawa mould, in that he looks premier league out on the range, and his game appears solid in every department, but all too often he's mediocre on the both the scorecard and leaderboard.

• Like 2

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

8 minutes ago, mat562 said:

It's amazing to me that Jimmy Walker has struggled for so long though, and that he too now finds himself in a bit of a quandary. Up close he looks a fantastic player. Very much in the Ryo Ishikawa mould, in that he looks premier league out on the range, and his game appears solid in every department, but all too often he's mediocre on the both the scorecard and leaderboard.

Seemed like when he won the PGA in 2016 that he game was not where it had been when he went on some runs in 2013-14 but then as soon as he won the PGA and you look for him to kick on, he catches Lyme disease and that is him, he has never been the same golf wise again.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Jimmy Walker started to experiment with the short driver in 2017, maybe he's screwed around his mind a little too much?

image.png.01bbc564369e538735febe3390a0f604.png

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2017/01/06/pga-tour-jimmy-walker-uses-shorter-driver-at-kapalua/

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

37 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Jimmy Walker started to experiment with the short driver in 2017, maybe he's screwed around his mind a little too much?

image.png.01bbc564369e538735febe3390a0f604.png

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2017/01/06/pga-tour-jimmy-walker-uses-shorter-driver-at-kapalua/

I don’t know, Jimmy Walker seems like the type of guy ripe for turnover. Bounces around between tours, keeps card a few years, finds it, gets hot and wins while the top tier talent is in the midst of its own turnover, falls back to his average self, gets sick on top of that and will turn up again when he’s 50. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PZero said:

Patrick Rodgers lost his card. I expected him to have won several times by now based on the success he had in college.

me too, its funny in 2017 he almost won the John Deere classic, finished one behind Bryson who won it. A couple months later he started working with radargolfpro (Jeff Smith) and is now losing his card. Have to be careful working with these nerdy golf instructors at that level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

Have to be careful working with these nerdy golf instructors at that level.

Aaron Baddeley, another on the list, is a case in point. A few flashes of decent golf over the last 15 years, but he looked a shoe-in to be a world class talent back when he joined the pro ranks and has never been anything close to one since he decided to change one of the most pleasing swings out there after being seduced by... well, nerdy golf instructors.

Edited by mat562
  • Like 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

56 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

Fleetwood shows how difficult it is to maintain membership on both Tours.

Looks like he played 9 Euro events this season and consequently just 15 events that count towards PGA Tour membership. Not much margin for error there.

Even Rory realized it was a fools errand and he was stretched too thin trying to be full time on both tours.   

4 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Seemed like when he won the PGA in 2016 that he game was not where it had been when he went on some runs in 2013-14 but then as soon as he won the PGA and you look for him to kick on, he catches Lyme disease and that is him, he has never been the same golf wise again.

^ this. Jimmy Walker seemed to come out of nowhere and won 6 times between 2013 and 2016. Then, we rarely heard him again. He looks like an outstanding guy. Hope he'll be alright. 

The tour is full of these guys who showed so many promises, and then faded away quickly, e.g. Hunter Mahan, Anthony Kim, etc. 

2 hours ago, mat562 said:

Aaron Baddeley, another on the list, is a case in point. A few flashes of decent golf over the last 15 years, but he looked a shoe-in to be a world class talent back when he joined the pro ranks and has never been anything close to one since he decided to change one of the most pleasing swings out there after being seduced by... well, nerdy golf instructors.

I'm not saying this is the case with Patrick but wouldn't be surprised. Most of the time they will tell you it helped their game yet they are losing their card. Keeping it simple and strong confidence is so much at that level, reason Butch has been so successful. Patrick won so much in college, he didn't need anything special, just some confidence.

I watched Patrick few weeks back play and he is a solid ball striker but his approaches with wedges/short irons sucked really bad from what I saw.

Edited by Redjeep83

3 hours ago, Medson said:

^ this. Jimmy Walker seemed to come out of nowhere and won 6 times between 2013 and 2016. Then, we rarely heard him again. He looks like an outstanding guy. Hope he'll be alright. 

The tour is full of these guys who showed so many promises, and then faded away quickly, e.g. Hunter Mahan, Anthony Kim, etc. 

Jimmy Walker was to the 2010's what Kenny Perry was to the 2000s...some guys just find it at points. 

I followed Matt Every from his big break days...guy played in 22 tournaments this year, missed 20 cuts and W/D from the other two. Had a 74.35 scoring average, 5 rounds in the 60s the whole year. Golf is hard I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Ironman_32 said:

Jimmy Walker was to the 2010's what Kenny Perry was to the 2000s...some guys just find it at points. 

I followed Matt Every from his big break days...guy played in 22 tournaments this year, missed 20 cuts and W/D from the other two. Had a 74.35 scoring average, 5 rounds in the 60s the whole year. Golf is hard I guess. 

Let's not forget Smylie Kaufman. PGA tour winner to struggling to break 80, high might be a used car salesman at this point

12 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

Fleetwood will get into all the majors because he will get an exemption as a Ryder Cup team member, Dufner will get into many tournaments because he is a former major winner. Moore will have to hit up his sponsors for exemptions, but he will at least get into the venues where he won before

Moore is 35th on the all time money list. He could use his top 50 all time money winners exemption for next season and be fully exempt.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KennyP said:

At 202 Aaron Baddeley's career continues to slide. One of my favourites to watch.

Lots of other big names the wrong side of the cut;

Rickie Fowler, CHIII, Franco Molinari, Willett, Ben An, Jimmy Walker, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Kevin Chappell, Bill Haas, Nick Watney.

Some will have exempt status, some won't.

Several favorites of mine on that list. Haas hasn't been the same since the car crash, Watney hasn't been himself in almost 10 years, Walker's health might be hurting him, and Fowler has been trying to light the fire.

3 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Let's not forget Smylie Kaufman. PGA tour winner to struggling to break 80, high might be a used car salesman at this point

Agreed...Smylie though just has one win that came very close to him playing in the last group at the Masters. With his name, and that he's mixed in in with Spieth/Fowler/Thomas, I think he gets a lot more credit than he deserved. Grant it, he shoots bad scores, but there are a lot of guys who won 1 or 2 times who have faded off tour that we don't remember. 

It’s crazy to me that Rafa Cabrera Bello and Tommy Fleetwood don’t have any wins on the PGA Tour yet

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH