Anyone Have An Idea of What TM’s Driver Plans Are for 2022?

BCC1898

11 minutes ago, Daveg023 said:

I know MyStealth is an option (though only for Stealth+ heads), but do you think there is any way for an aftermarket change to the face color?  Anyway one of the custom shops could stain/dye the face to not have be red?

I only ask because say Stealth is the better head for me, but there is no custom option currently for that head, and the red face is not really my cup of tea...

Those of us on here that have a Stealth+ or Stealth and most reviews that I have watched have all said the same thing…you forget the face is red within 10-15mins.

Honestly, from anything outside of 3ft away it’s really not noticeable and barely noticeable at address. If Stealth is the right club for you, I’d recommend to pull the trigger…the Red face becomes a non-factor shockingly quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

We should try to keep this topic going into 2023, I would be curious if they continue with the carbon face drivers and will they bring them over to the fairway woods.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I was getting high launch out of both. 14-16 degrees. 

What I would like to know is what is the best method to make the regular Stealth fade biased?

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

6 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

We should try to keep this topic going into 2023, I would be curious if they continue with the carbon face drivers and will they bring them over to the fairway woods.

For as bold a claim as them never making a titanium driver again, I would suspect they'd continue with the carbon face for a good while.  At least up to the point where they see it not being a benefit.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

9 minutes ago, mrc144 said:

If i preordered from TM direct, will it arrive on release date of 2/4 or will it ship on 2/4? 

Depends on what you order I suppose.  If it's a stock setup, it would probably be on or around that date.  But, we're a couple weeks into the presales now.  So, not sure what their inventory looks like or the backlog of orders.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

22 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I spent a good hour testing the Stealth + against my current SIM2 driver paired with my Ventus Blue Velocore 6x shaft on GC Quad yesterday. 

On average the Stealth produced 2mph higher ball speeds, half a degree lower launch with a 200rpm increase in spin but it wasn't any longer on my good strikes. I am however well optimised with my current setup, launching around 15 degrees with around 2,000rpm of spin at 165-170mph ball speed. I wasn't having my best day as I'd already played a round in the morning & had stopped for a pint in the clubhouse so I'm going to  re-test on another day to see if the same pattern emerges. One thing I did notice though was my dispersion was tighter with the Stealth & my standard deviation numbers were also tighter with the Stealth which for me is a pretty big win.

The dispersion and consistency tell the story of this driver. You had played and then had a drink. Then hit the drivers. So you were "less than optimal" which helps you see how the 2 drivers will compare on an off day on the course. Stealth will be in play and in the fairway more often than your sim2. That's a big deal. It's also what I saw head to head against my sim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cjbgolfer said:

Just tried the Stealth and Stealth Plus in my local store. Anyone notices the normal Stealth launches very high? his could be a shaft issue but was just a first impression I got.

I think it's likely individual to the player--I had the opposite happen during my fitting. Getting optimal spin numbers, but could not really launch a 10.5* Stealth head above 12*

Edited by njmack

30 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

The dispersion and consistency tell the story of this driver. You had played and then had a drink. Then hit the drivers. So you were "less than optimal" which helps you see how the 2 drivers will compare on an off day on the course. Stealth will be in play and in the fairway more often than your sim2. That's a big deal. It's also what I saw head to head against my sim.

This is exactly my thoughts, it's my off days/swings that I'm more interested in improving & the Stealth does seem to do this. I did pre-order one through a supplier on eBay & I had a 15% off voucher to use so it was £424 instead of £499. Can't wait for it to arrive & see how it goes on the course.

14 minutes ago, pnwbeamer said:

What shaft?

It was the ventus red. Normally I play a shorter by an inch stiff shaft with a 9 degree Sim 2 Max Head. . It was a weird fitting tbh as they didn't have many options at all. The stealth plus was coming out nicely with the Hazardous Smoke Red RDX in regular with a 10.5 degree head. But I was swinging below 90mph on their launch monitor for some reason.

The normal stealth was just sky rocketing with the shafts they gave me.

3 minutes ago, SimonC said:

This is exactly my thoughts, it's my off days/swings that I'm more interested in improving & the Stealth does seem to do this. I did pre-order one through a supplier on eBay & I had a 15% off voucher to use so it was £424 instead of £499. Can't wait for it to arrive & see how it goes on the course.

You will like it on course. I was able to get mine out a week ago and it was impressive. It was the day after I did a heavy leg day lifting session. My legs were still a bit wobbly which isn't good for stability needed in the golf swing. Of the holes I was able to play, i still hit 9/10 fairways with the stealth compared to 6/10 with my sim. It seems to be a driver that will perform the same on off days as it does for "on days". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

You will like it on course. I was able to get mine out a week ago and it was impressive. It was the day after I did a heavy leg day lifting session. My legs were still a bit wobbly which isn't good for stability needed in the golf swing. Of the holes I was able to play, i still hit 9/10 fairways with the stealth compared to 6/10 with my sim. It seems to be a driver that will perform the same on off days as it does for "on days". 

That is exactly what I'm looking for, if I'm in the fairway I typically shoot a good score as my home course isn't particularly long so I can reach pretty much every hole with a driver & some sort of wedge (apart from the par 5 that is). My last 2 rounds I actually drover it very well & shot 4 under & 2 under in less than ideal conditions (40 degrees fahrenheit & 15 to 20mph wind), I am having lessons at the moment though which seem to be paying off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SimonC said:

That is exactly what I'm looking for, if I'm in the fairway I typically shoot a good score as my home course isn't particularly long so I can reach pretty much every hole with a driver & some sort of wedge (apart from the par 5 that is). My last 2 rounds I actually drover it very well & shot 4 under & 2 under in less than ideal conditions (40 degrees fahrenheit & 15 to 20mph wind), I am having lessons at the moment though which seem to be paying off.

I put a heavier backweight on my sim last year to help with forgiveness and have loved it since. It almost obsoleted my 3w. I hit it on every par 4 and 5 unless it's just really dumb to do so. I'm a firm believer in closer to the hole equals lower scores (except 40 yards out to a pin cut just past a bunker). So having a driver that's going to be even better than my sim is should lead to lower scores. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I put a heavier backweight on my sim last year to help with forgiveness and have loved it since. It almost obsoleted my 3w. I hit it on every par 4 and 5 unless it's just really dumb to do so. I'm a firm believer in closer to the hole equals lower scores (except 40 yards out to a pin cut just past a bunker). So having a driver that's going to be even better than my sim is should lead to lower scores. 

Speaking of weights--I'm sure it's been covered here, but have we determined if/when Stealth weights will be available to purchase? Can you order a heavier weight custom spec?

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I was getting high launch out of both. 14-16 degrees. 

What I would like to know is what is the best method to make the regular Stealth fade biased?

I would love to know this as well......are you also saying the regular stealth is draw biased or just neutral?

thanks

3 minutes ago, Morry said:

I would love to know this as well......are you also saying the regular stealth is draw biased or just neutral?

thanks

I have a pronounced draw swing fault. I was able to hit push draws, pushes, and some fades with the stealth plus. Regular Stealth all finished left of my intended target. 

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

3 hours ago, Daveg023 said:

I know MyStealth is an option (though only for Stealth+ heads), but do you think there is any way for an aftermarket change to the face color?  Anyway one of the custom shops could stain/dye the face to not have be red?

I only ask because say Stealth is the better head for me, but there is no custom option currently for that head, and the red face is not really my cup of tea...

IIRC...I read somewhere that the "Nona-rexture" is the same...nvmd, found it on TM Website.

"To make this work, a special nanotexture cover is needed to enclose the face. The polyurethane cast is used to fine tune launch and spin to optimize total distance regardless of playing conditions. Without it, the driver face would lack the texture and scorelines needed to produce the ideal friction properties at impact."

And urethane can be dyed. There are specialty dyes online and RIT, the cloth dye, has a page for golf ball dying. You can try an experiment on a Urethane ball. If black gets deep enough it may cover the red or others colors may make new colors with the red. Ooh, just noticed I have some RIT dye for synthetic fabric in my eyesight,(that's creepy weird) I'll go soak a Srixon now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morry said:

thanks

Hot melt through the port or lead tape, on the sole probably and prior to hot melt, so correct weight can be determined and location. 

6 minutes ago, Nihonsei75 said:

IIRC...I read somewhere that the "Nona-rexture" is the same...nvmd, found it on TM Website.

"To make this work, a special nanotexture cover is needed to enclose the face. The polyurethane cast is used to fine tune launch and spin to optimize total distance regardless of playing conditions. Without it, the driver face would lack the texture and scorelines needed to produce the ideal friction properties at impact."

And urethane can be dyed. There are specialty dyes online and RIT, the cloth dye, has a page for golf ball dying. You can try an experiment on a Urethane ball. If black gets deep enough it may cover the red or others colors may make new colors with the red. Ooh, just noticed I have some RIT dye for synthetic fabric in my eyesight,(that's creepy weird) I'll go soak a Srixon now!

Interesting.  Though not sure I’d be confident to do a $600 experiment 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Good idea, lets keep it rollin'! Fairways were discussed earlier if you topic search up top. TM did address it in some release literature on their site or some site interview, can't remember well. My takeaway was that the issue with the smaller faces is that the benefits of this carbon face need more area to utilize any benefits of the material as a face. And something about minimal weight savings. That is to date, the sales of the Stealth line will definitely be providing further R&D into their processes and applicatoins.

12 hours ago, kwettig said:

Phil’s response I saw on Twitter a while back regarding foresight’s carry numbers…C884B762-F063-4E26-8B5B-A0386D8FFDA5.jpeg.36d7af470ca4045cfe2d348d7034d55d.jpeg

I have a GC3 and I get the same inflated numbers on low spin shots.  I wish they would just work on their algorithms but as long as you know they are pumped up on low spin shots you can figure about far they would actually fly.  Popped into a golf galaxy today and hit the stealth plus+ today with the kai’li white in 60x.  Shaft feels pretty loose to me.  I game a rogue white 130 in 70tx tipped 1 1/4” so most feel loose to me.  Didn’t hit many great shots with it but I didn't have a glove and couldn’t really let it rip.  Sound is nice…seems dull to me and the soft feeling face is actually something I like.  TSi3 might’ve felt and sounded a bit better.  Looking forward to trying it a bit more at a local fitting end of the month where I’ll have my GC3 and normal golf balls.  They wouldn’t even let me see ball speed or spin at GG said I would need to book a $99 fitting for that.

Yeah this definitely feels like what many of us have observed over the years and was a big part of why Matt at TXG seemed to always produce numbers that looked a *little* juiced. Not intentionally of course, but he was a very low spin guy and GCQuad gave him a boost because of that. 

55 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Has anyone heard or measured the standard lie angle of the STEALTH PLUS?  Supposedly,  this guy I know, did and they came in at 59* lie ......which to me is preposterous......but I've been wrong before 🤷‍♂️

Preposterous as in low or high? Taylormade have long advertised 56*-60* as stock but either i'm missing something or there has virtually never been a driver released that was actually anywhere near 56* stock. Every single tour issued head I have ever seen both in person and online has ranged from 58*-60*, so 59* sounds perfectly normal. And if there were any heads that we'd see on the flatter side, it would be the tour issued ones. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

27 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Yeah this definitely feels like what many of us have observed over the years and was a big part of why Matt at TXG seemed to always produce numbers that looked a *little* juiced. Not intentionally of course, but he was a very low spin guy and GCQuad gave him a boost because of that. 

Preposterous as in low or high? Taylormade have long advertised 56*-60* as stock but either i'm missing something or there has virtually never been a driver released that was actually anywhere near 56* stock. Every single tour issued head I have ever seen both in person and online has ranged from 58*-60*, so 59* sounds perfectly normal. And if there were any heads that we'd see on the flatter side, it would be the tour issued ones. 

Has anyone determined the exact role of the grooves ? If TM could forgive my scepticism that they can be dual purpose, i.e. in the wet and dry. 

With FW’s particularly, I can see issues with dirt in grooves especially with its removal. I would forecast many players staying with titanium. 

Edited by Pastit

• easyyy unfeatured this topic