2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone Have An Idea of What TM’s Driver Plans Are for 2022?

BCC1898

On 1/17/2022 at 9:16 AM, Nihonsei75 said:

And urethane can be dyed. There are specialty dyes online and RIT, the cloth dye, has a page for golf ball dying. You can try an experiment on a Urethane ball. If black gets deep enough it may cover the red or others colors may make new colors with the red. Ooh, just noticed I have some RIT dye for synthetic fabric in my eyesight,(that's creepy weird) I'll go soak a Srixon now!

Didn't one of the earliest reviewers on this thread say he took a sharpie to the face and blacked it out? 

Edited by enickma

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

Won't hate on callaway, they make good stuff.

But get a stealth on course against your gamer...

Better yet, I challenge @TaylorMade Golf to have me out to the Kingdom, given I live in the same area and can drive there in a matter of minutes - and they can try every shaft / stealth head combo / adapter setting / weighting, they like against my top of the line gamer to see if they can outperform it. No matter what, I will happily post ALL results here on GolfWRX! 😘

What say ye, @TaylorMade Golf??? 👂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SMUGamer said:

Better yet, I challenge @TaylorMade Golf to have me out to the Kingdom, given I live in the same area and can drive there in a matter of minutes - and they can try every shaft / stealth head combo / adapter setting / weighting, they like against my top of the line gamer to see if they can outperform it. No matter what, I will happily post ALL results here on GolfWRX! 😘

What say ye, @TaylorMade Golf??? 👂

You can smack it on the range all you want. You'll see what's been posted in this thread. Maybe marginal improvements in ballspeed and similar launch and spin to what you've been fitted for.

But on course is where you "get it". When you catch one heel side and it goes as far as a centered ball from your gamer. Or you catch one low...and it competes with your gamer. When you hit more fairways than your gamer...

• Like 3

The funny thing about the Crossfield video is that in his intro, he is literally reading word for word from the TM site.  These are claims being made by TM.  He clearly has a dislike for TM which dings his credibility a bit but he makes valid points.  They claim to have "broken the limits" of titanium here.  Marginal (if any) gains in ball speed and a slight increase forgiveness which both take a massive sample size to even detect are not breaking limits.  Another masterful marketing job by TM as evidenced by the size of this thread.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

You can smack it on the range all you want. You'll see what's been posted in this thread. Maybe marginal improvements in ballspeed and similar launch and spin to what you've been fitted for.

But on course is where you "get it". When you catch one heel side and it goes as far as a centered ball from your gamer. Or you catch one low...and it competes with your gamer. When you hit more fairways than your gamer...

This right here. I can't say I was expecting a 3-5 mph ballspeed increase from my gamer, or to pick up 10 yds or more on avg, etc. etc. I think it'd be extraordinarily rare for any manufacturer to come out with a driver that blows its predecessor away by leaps and bounds in a single year. It happens, sure, but what maybe once or twice in a decade?

What I did see in my fitting, though, was a rusty old haven't-hit-a-driver-since-October swing that produced numbers that matched my SIM and I didn't see any of the major faults that I occasionally saw on mishits with the SIM. 

Others have said it here before, but Stealth seems like it's a solid blend of the OG SIM and SIM2. For my individual game, that's a pretty big value add and enough of one for me to make the jump. That it also has this new carbon face tech and whatnot is sort of a mildly exciting bonus, but hardly the point.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

Imagine making a decision about buying or not buying a club based on Youtuber reviews. Sad.

Imagine the hundreds of millions of people that buy on Amazon everyday based on initial reviews of a new product. Yeah, mind-blowing I know. Imagine all the golf purchase decisions that have been made by all the TXG informative reviews/videos. Again, mind-blowing. Is it NOT the purpose of "reviews" in the first place? It's all about assessing information at hand until one can experience it themself. Its not FINAL but a GREAT starting point along ones own purchasing decisions. Yes, I will try it but NOT expecting anything more than a pure lateral move (which is NOT consistent with the marketing by TM regarding Carbon Face Tech, and is the real point here, as mentioned above. NOT, that its less than other top of the line drivers, which I already have in multiples), so no thanks but happy to give it try by hitting a 100 balls with it. I buy added performance as much as anyone on this site, but not real keen on flushing dough on hype, misrepresentations, and the like. 

Edited by SMUGamer
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, SMUGamer said:

Imagine the hundreds of millions of people that buy on Amazon everyday based on initial reviews of a new product. Yeah, mind-blowing I know. Imagine all the golf purchase decisions that have been made by all the TXG informative reviews/videos. Again, mind-blowing. Is it NOT the purpose of "reviews" in the first place? It's all about assessing information at hand until one can experience it themself. Its not FINAL but a GREAT starting point along ones own purchasing decisions. Yes, I will try it but NOT expecting anything more than a pure lateral move (which is NOT consistent with the marketing by TM regarding Carbon Face Tech, and is the real point here, as mentioned above. NOT, that its less than other top of the line drivers, which I already have in multiples), so no thanks but happy to give it try by hitting a 100 balls with it. I buy added performance as much as anyone on this site, but not real keen on flushing dough on hype, misrepresentations, and the like. 

You said you were going to cancel your pre-order based solely on a Youtube video. That is hilarious. Without even trying it out versus your gamer or getting custom fit. You are a sheep to these Youtubers and probably gobble up everything they have to say about golf clubs. The Amazon argument does not apply because golf clubs have way more variables and you can improve so many factors with a proper custom fitting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ASN21 said:

Imagine making a decision about buying or not buying a club based on Youtuber reviews. Sad.

I watch a few YouTube reviews, problem is I have yet to see any of these guys produce my swing pattern. So I have never bought a club based on their reviews.

Rarely bought a club hitting into a net or simulator either. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

You said you were going to cancel your pre-order based solely on a Youtube video. That is hilarious. Without even trying it out versus your gamer or getting custom fit. You are a sheep to these Youtubers and probably gobble up everything they have to say about golf clubs. The Amazon argument does not apply because golf clubs have way more variables and you can improve so many factors with a proper custom fitting. 

😂🤣 Details matter, buddy! 🤣

It WAS a custom order through the "MyStealth" program. I pumped the brakes upon seeing ALL the reviews so I could hit the heads when my store received them to see if I got the same results. Make sense??? You're the one NOT questioning their claims and following the company line and sales hype, so who's the sheep??? Guess your avatar gives that away, huh!?!? 😏

24 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

Or also get up sold unnecessarily too, or not being able to keep the shafts that come in irons since “they’re custom building them with different ones.” Both sides of the coin on “custom” my man…

1 hour ago, SMUGamer said:

Apples and oranges for sure w/ comparison to amazon. You can go try a driver before you buy. Also, you say you buy based on “performance gains”. What qualifies that to you? 1mph ball speed? 1 more fairway a round? Your trusting YOUTUBERS to decipher that for you? 98% of them are this looks like this, sounds like this, performs as good, no better than anything else. So do what exactly DO you buy?

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Apples and oranges for sure w/ comparison to amazon. You can go try a driver before you buy. Also, you say you buy based on “performance gains”. What qualifies that to you? 1mph ball speed? 1 more fairway a round? Your trusting YOUTUBERS to decipher that for you? 98% of them are this looks like this, sounds like this, performs as good, no better than anything else. So do what exactly DO you buy?

You obvoiusly missed my prior post. In regards to Amazon, I can buy anything on my CC, try it for weeks or even months and then return it for a full credit to my CC. That's try before I TRULY buy. But, I will save myself ALL the hassle if the majority of reviews are NOT something I want or need and can rely on. Reviews are used to inform purchasers, end of story. I know that doesn't support the TM Fan Boys on this one, but it is what it is.......

As for jumping the gun and feeling buyers remorse afterwards, Im trying to kick the habit! 😘

• Like 1

I honestly think all drivers are really good right now. I am excited to hit the Callaway and TM, but might even go PING! 

New TM driver looks awesome and they are doing a bang up marketing job selling it. I am glad there are some folks putting real numbers and Trackman sessions out there. Looks like a decent option. No driver is going to fix a bad swing. 

Honestly, if we get any more dang distance they are going to have to do something. Its getting rediculous how many people carry the ball 280+ 

11 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

Seeing Crossfield’s review makes me more interested in the Stealth.  My gameplan is to go all in on equipment he pans. It always works out for me.

See thats interesting. How reviews can be taken two different ways. To someone above it was all marketing bs and to me and some others (like you), i was impressed with his dispersion (compared to his “gamer”) even though he was flailing at it lol. Not to mention, not in the right loft. He goes down 2 degrees in loft i bet he reaches that green. To each his own. I get the distaste for marketing but it also doesnt mean we have to write everything off. Ive fallen for hype before. But If you going in with the  type of mindset that its all bs, you will be seeking the results to confirm that mindset. Thats just one of many issues i see with some of the youtubers. 

Edited by Red4282

13 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I think people are just pointing out that reviews for a crock pot are a little different than reviews for a driver. Crock pots features are the same for everyone. Golf clubs perform differently for everyone. 

If the majority of Youtube reviewers are concluding the same thing (which is usually very reliable), then I'm NOT so arrogant to think that my super "unique" swing characteristics are going to produce widely different results than the majority (numbers DONT lie, people DO). But, I always give it a go myself just to amuse myself. Point is, a plethora of reviews are usually pretty reliable, regardless of the product. Which is going to be the case here, as usual. 

Edited by SMUGamer

Interesting reading here.  However, seems to be more about reviews/reviewer than about actual experience with the product.  I would say I very much enjoy all reviews either pro or con to the subject matter.   In the end though, there is no substitute for seeing up close and personal what ANY club does for the individual golfer.   My personal experience has been clubs I thought were going to be the bomb, ended up being duds.  And clubs that I almost never had a desire to even demo ended up great.  There is no substitute for a qualified fitting where the end result more times than not by a long stretch will result in the best outcome for the golfer.  Go ahead ask @Taylormade if they disagree. Bet they don’t.  YMMV, but for me, I want the best head, shaft, and swing metrics combination for my swing.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, anw79 said:

The golf equivalent of the inverse Jim Cramer stock picking strategy 🤣

Absolutely.  I’m like a Crossfield equipment hedge fund.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

1 hour ago, Micrys2 said:

Interesting reading here.  However, seems to be more about reviews/reviewer than about actual experience with the product.  I would say I very much enjoy all reviews either pro or con to the subject matter.   In the end though, there is no substitute for seeing up close and personal what ANY club does for the individual golfer.   My personal experience has been clubs I thought were going to be the bomb, ended up being duds.  And clubs that I almost never had a desire to even demo ended up great.  There is no substitute for a qualified fitting where the end result more times than not by a long stretch will result in the best outcome for the golfer.  Go ahead ask @Taylormade if they disagree. Bet they don’t.  YMMV, but for me, I want the best head, shaft, and swing metrics combination for my swing.  

I agree with your point as to the value of a proper fitting and what can be gleaned from such but that is not whats being argued here. Getting fit is universal across all clubs, all manufacturers, all technology.........

Im arguing, based on the reviews thus far, the majority of testers/results point to NO added ball speeds/distance or forgiveness when comparing this "revolutionary" carbon face technology to old school titanium face technology. All things being equal, the face technology doesn't appear, thus far, to provide any benefit over Titanium. I understand the weight savings and redistribution of said savings, but that has NOT produced any evidence of added performance in this generation - maybe it will in the next generation though because they have something to build upon..........

16 minutes ago, enickma said:

I've read this entire thread. I think it's longer than War and Peace now. From my hitting of it, and others here too, the tech seems to be in the mishits. More forgiveness, less spin and loss of distance. More of a cavity back miss as opposed to a blade. 

Agree with your point about the tech on mishits. And just think about the lifelong intellectual knowledge you gained in this thread when you could have wasted your time reading boring ol’ War & Peace. 😄

Edited by zap311

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Ball speed increases, yardage gains and forgiveness improvements; real or perceived don’t take away from a very solid release from TM. I think it’s fair to say some of the early propaganda about 5 mph ball speed increases doesn’t hold up in the majority of peoples’ testing. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

25 minutes ago, Deadpool_25 said:

Agree. And that’s the only place it can be.

Check out Peter Finch's review (based on the data NOT opinion or hyperbole)! Better average ball speeds and forgiveness on mishits with the new Rogue (with Titanium face) when compared against the Stealth. 

Edited by SMUGamer

• easyyy unfeatured this topic