Taylormade 2022 mb/mc replacement?

Shaqlemore

1 hour ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I’m regards to ppl hoping for a 760, it was never in the cards imo. That category seems to cater to a small portion of the customer base and is already quite saturated from a competitor standpoint. I think this is less a miss and more the result of a conscious decision in target demographics. 

One can only hope though......  760 with less offset especially in the 4 - 6 irons......

• Like 1

Watched most of the TXG review. They were using stock shafts and not their gamers so this could change when they test them at their facility. Takeaways I saw. 

770-adjusted the cg to be not as hot in the short irons but they still did see the occasional low spin flier in long irons. They did say for the better player this could be money set up as a driving iron. Felt these could be played by a scratch up to a 15 cap. 

MC- liked the most of all three by Matty and Ian. Tiny bit larger to their eye than the 2020s and maybe a smidge more forgiving. More demanding than a t100 but not nearly as demanding as the new MB. 

MB- much smaller than the MCs this year but degree stronger lofts to make combo sets blend easier. Mishits punished much more than mcs but they said this year they don’t have two super similar clubs like the previous generation. Ian was really seeing big distance drop offs on off center hits but for a blade purest this could be a good thing. 

Need to see more reviews but eyeing an MB MC combo set. 

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Morry said:

No 760 means Zero to offer me and every other 0-10 cap player out there 

guess that's a segment they don't care about 

blades and shovels only 

Hope 2025 release has more to offer 

disappointed, but congrats to everyone who got something they wanted to see 

I wouldn’t say zero to offer to that cap range. MC and 770 have both ends of that range covered. While it is a sizeable gap in the line conceptually, I believe the amount of golfers whose needs fall between a 770 and MC are in fact a smaller market. Plenty of other options with other brands out there. From a consumer standpoint I understand your frustration, from a business standpoint it makes a ton of sense. 

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

44 minutes ago, Morry said:

blades and shovels only 

That's absolutly untrue.  The MC or 770 are a perfect fit for people in that range.  I'm a 2 who doesn't practice, so the 770's are in my bag for the forgiveness.  If I did practice, or got back to practing, I'd gladly put the MC's into play.  The 760's weren't exactly a compact head, not totally sure how you could say the 770's are shovels but not the 760's.  

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

57 minutes ago, Morry said:

Utter dross

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

That's absolutly untrue.  The MC or 770 are a perfect fit for people in that range.  I'm a 2 who doesn't practice, so the 770's are in my bag for the forgiveness.  If I did practice, or got back to practing, I'd gladly put the MC's into play.  The 760's weren't exactly a compact head, not totally sure how you could say the 770's are shovels but not the 760's.  

I think this is spot on and touches on the different view some have vs TM.

The consensus around here seemed to be the ‘19 MC needed improvements yet the reviews of the launch mentioned that “The P·7MC is TaylorMade’s most popular iron on the PGA TOUR”.
With that in mind it’s no wonder there wasn’t too much change and if any it was probably geared towards the top of the pyramid in terms if ball striking.

2 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

I wouldn’t say zero to offer to that cap range. MC and 770 have both ends of that range covered. While it is a sizeable gap in the line conceptually, I believe the amount of golfers whose needs fall between a 770 and MC are in fact a smaller market. Plenty of other options with other brands out there. From a consumer standpoint I understand your frustration, from a business standpoint it makes a ton of sense. 

I agree with you on the business side 

Just a little frustrating.  Forces me elsewhere - lots of choices out there

I would just love a set of TM's in the bag - maybe one day 

Wish I was good enough to just go straight to the MC's to be honest 

Hope they are a solid update - enjoy 

4 hours ago, Morry said:

blades and shovels only 

I’m assuming you’ve games the P760 because of your fondness of them. But they were pretty thicc

7 hours ago, Morry said:

They played much better than they looked 

they were soft and had amazing feel with a decent amount of forgiveness 

a unique iron, regardless of exact look in my view

Its interesting seeing the retro 760 love (and there were quite a few folks in the TXG live asking the same) but it was not a sales success for a variety of reasons.

I think part of its charm is it took the OG 770s, ever so slightly smaller, added a bit of goo in the long irons but hid it vs. the 790 thicker top line. Other then the bag (un) appeal they were a great replacement for the 770s but a quick product cycle and gone.

I agree, TM doesn't have a players CB in their lineup as the MC has no T and is demanding in the long irons. But there is nothing stopping someone from doing a 770 4-7i and MC 8-PW, bend 1d weak (or strong) and call it a P-765 set. Is it the same as a 760? Nope, but it certainly is playable and hey, no more foreman grill. 

Or cruise the bay and pick up a near new set of 760s to replace worn ones and off you go. 1/2 the price of so of a new set  😄 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pens #1 fan said:

Anyone going to try and combo a set with all the clubs from the line. 790,770,MC,MB. I like how Taylormade gives the specs and breaks down how to combo the sets to fit together. To make it easy I’d go 790 4-5, 770 6-7, MC 8-9, MB PW. 

Nothing stopping you but you will be likely bending all over to get your gaps correctly. There have been a few sets for sale with 3, I don't think I have seen a 4 P set blend, at that point just keep the MC PW its still a sexy club 🙂 

I'm a 770/790 fella and while I have been tempted to try a MC PW, its mostly for the sexy. The 770 PW has not held my chipping back one bit 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

Nothing stopping you but you will be likely bending all over to get your gaps correctly. There have been a few sets for sale with 3, I don't think I have seen a 4 P set blend, at that point just keep the MC PW its still a sexy club 🙂 

I'm a 770/790 fella and while I have been tempted to try a MC PW, its mostly for the sexy. The 770 PW has not held my chipping back one bit 🙂 

After watching more reviews I will probably just go all 770, maybe 770/MC. 

• Like 1

I feel TM phoned it in with this release. I'm a fan of making incremental changes to a an already good product, but most golfers would be hard pressed to pick the new 770 over the previous on looks alone. 

• Like 2
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

28 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

I feel TM phoned it in with this release. I'm a fan of making incremental changes to a an already good product, but most golfers would be hard pressed to pick the new 770 over the previous on looks alone. 

I'm a huge TM fan, but I was going to write almost the EXACT same thing.  It's like they had to release something, so they made the smallest changes possible.  There aren't even any bullet points under the MC on the website.

15 hours ago, Morry said:

blades and shovels only 

This is a goofy take. Two of the top 5 players at my club who are legitimate scratch players who play P-790's and a couple of single digits playing P-770. 

• Like 4

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

On 12/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, Morry said:

blades and shovels only 

Morry, I’m here for you. I enjoy your passion. And I agree with you. It is strange when small operators offer more true forged options than the major OEMs. Been a trend for a few years now as the big boys keep trying to out-tech each other. And indeed, there is nothing in this lineup like the iconic og 770s, which fit a wide range of players. Not everyone enjoys hollow irons. 

But I think TM tried to bring in more players with the new MC. It is a beautifully milled forged iron. Face contrast is perfect. Classy and pure. It also looks a little friendlier than the current version. Just a touch larger. I  like the higher heel head shape. Worth a spin, I believe. Doesn’t look scary. I could see looking at blending it with a power bat 770 in the longest iron. What do you think about that one?

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 12/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, MountainKing said:

I disagree. The problem with the 770 is that extra ball speed that's built in with the hollow body and speed foam air. 

The iron that is missing in the lineup is a reasonably forgiving cavity back that is not juiced up for additional ball speed. The 770's make great long irons/driving irons but I find them very difficult to control distance with consistently in the mid irons. 

Shorter hitters or high spin players will get along great with 770 but many mid-lower handicap players are neither. 

Furthermore, the 770 is very difficult to combo with MC because there is about a 1/2 club gap between the two. For instance, I was carrying the new MC 7 iron about 175 and the new P770 7 iron about 183. This means I would likely be carrying the 6 iron over 195 yards. 

I love TM, but they really could use an AP2/T100 like iron in the lineup in my opinion. Forgiving, forged cavity back without all the juice. 

• Like 4

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

2 hours ago, johnnylongballz72 said:

I disagree. The problem with the 770 is that extra ball speed that's built in with the hollow body and speed foam air. 

The iron that is missing in the lineup is a reasonably forgiving cavity back that is not juiced up for additional ball speed. The 770's make great long irons/driving irons but I find them very difficult to control distance with consistently in the mid irons. 

Shorter hitters or high spin players will get along great with 770 but many mid-lower handicap players are neither. 

Furthermore, the 770 is very difficult to combo with MC because there is about a 1/2 club gap between the two. For instance, I was carrying the new MC 7 iron about 175 and the new P770 7 iron about 183. This means I would likely be carrying the 6 iron over 195 yards. 

I love TM, but they really could use an AP2/T100 like iron in the lineup in my opinion. Forgiving, forged cavity back without all the juice. 

Always wanted TM to make something T100ish. A TM T100 would fly into my bag for some long irons. 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

6 hours ago, johnnylongballz72 said:

You can't combo them off the shelf, there's some adjusting of loft that needs to happen to make it work.  TM even says as much. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I am really disappointed by the offering. I just can't get the 770's. I don't like the short irons.  I don't think they combo well with the MC's (I have tried it).  The T100s/T100 got it right . I will wait and see what Callaway has in store for 2023.  

I love the idea of the 770's when the first generation was first announced.  I rushed to get them because I thought it would be the perfect tweener.  I just couldn't get along with the 8 iron down.  

The 790's are a great club in its class.  The MC's and MB's are good for their class.  The 770's (in my opinion) is not a great club in between those sets.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aggielefty said:

I am really disappointed by the offering. I just can't get the 770's. I don't like the short irons.  I don't think they combo well with the MC's (I have tried it).  The T100s/T100 got it right . I will wait and see what Callaway has in store for 2023.  

I love the idea of the 770's when the first generation was first announced.  I rushed to get them because I thought it would be the perfect tweener.  I just couldn't get along with the 8 iron down.  

The 790's are a great club in its class.  The MC's and MB's are good for their class.  The 770's (in my opinion) is not a great club in between those sets.  

I play the 770s and I think they are fantastic if you're realistic about what they are. They are competitors to the Apex Pro and T200. They are not at all meant to compete with the T100 or XForged lines. Anyone with that expectation will be disappointed. 

Taylormade currently does not have an iron in direct competition with the T100, XForged, ZX7, or any other non-foam-filled or non-tech-packed forging.

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

1 minute ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I play the 770s and I think they are fantastic if you're realistic about what they are. They are competitors to the Apex Pro and T200. They are not at all meant to compete with the T100 or XForged lines. Anyone with that expectation will be disappointed. 

Taylormade currently does not have an iron in direct competition with the T100, XForged, ZX7, or any other non-foam-filled or non-tech-packed forging.

Wouldn't the P7MC be in direct competition with those irons?  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

2 minutes ago, radiman said:

YES

1348922866_MCvsT100.jpg.51e61fa502b90b0e531464252612752a.jpg

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

4 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

YES

1348922866_MCvsT100.jpg.51e61fa502b90b0e531464252612752a.jpg

I love seeing those higher spin numbers.  Struggle to generate spin these days with most irons.  

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

2 minutes ago, radiman said:

Yeah sort of. But tbh that 'spot' would be more like the old P760. It seems to be between what the T100 is and a MB.

In recent modern iron progressions you have;

Blade (P7TW) > MB (620MB, P7MB) > Forged CB (P7MC sort of and P760 actually, T100, XForged, Apex TCB, ZX7) > Small Tech Packed CB (T200, Apex Pro, P770, ZX5) > Large Tech Packed CB (Apex, P790, T300) > Game Improvement (T400, Apex DCB, ZX4) > Super Game Improvement ('Max' and 'OS' irons like the yearly sets Rogue Max, SIM, Stealth, etc)

The placements in the above are based on size of the cavity and blade length and topline, VCOG, relative MOI and etc.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

24 minutes ago, radiman said:

P7MC I would think would be in line with the Titliest CB's.  T100's would probably be more in line with the 770's. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 minute ago, MountainKing said:

P7MC I would think would be in line with the Titliest CB's.  T100's would probably be more in line with the 770's. 

Man, I always forget about the Titleist CB's.  Good point. 

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS