2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

How good do you need to be to play T100S irons?

Vater

I’m thinking of getting T100S short irons. I hit them well in the bay and got consistent numbers for my short irons. I love the buttery feel and control that I’m looking for more of in my short irons. 

But how good do you need to be to play them over time, not just at the shop?

Do you need to be a blade player, a solid low handicapper, a super ball striker? 

Anyone playing then who’s more of just an average golfer?

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Depends on your strengths. Also which irons you’re going to get the t100s in i think contributes to if you can play them. I’d say if you’re a good ball striker should have no issues with 7 iron down. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 ADDI 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I ordered a combo set - T100s (7-48*), (T200) in 5-6.  If they ever come in I will let you know how they perform in the real world.   When testing I could have gone straight 5-48* in T100s but felt a little more confidence looking down at T200’s in long irons.  I usually shoot 76-82 for reference.  

Edited by jeff1727
  • Like 2

You can play whatever you want. Theres 25hc who play blades 'cause it makes them feel good.

I would say at least a 10hc at the most to properly make use of them and get the ball speed and striking you need. Im sure there will be differing opinions.

• Like 4

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / PHNTM7.5

I completely agree with the comments above. If you like them... go for them! 

For reference I'm a 4 handicap who just put some T100's in the bag. I love them but they're honestly more forgiving than I thought they would be (I used to play Callaway Apex's). However, not to rephrase everything mentioned above, it does help if they are the shorter irons. After all, your wedges are probably "blade-like". 

I've always thought that it would make the most sense for someone to play 

"blade-like" wedges

"blade / players (T100) irons" -> short irons

"players (T100) / players distance (T200) irons -> longer irons. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vater said:

I’m thinking of getting T100S short irons. I hit them well in the bay and got consistent numbers for my short irons. I love the buttery feel and control that I’m looking for more of in my short irons. 

But how good do you need to be to play them over time, not just at the shop?

Do you need to be a blade player, a solid low handicapper, a super ball striker? 

Anyone playing then who’s more of just an average golfer?

If you like them and like the results...buy them...you need not validate with others how to spend you own money.

Will they lower your cap?....likely not.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KBong said:

If you like them and like the results...buy them...you need not validate with others how to spend you own money.

Will they lower your cap?....likely not.

This!!

• Like 3

Driver:  Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi2 15* Speeder 757 Evo II S

Utility: Titleist T-200 3 Iron Ventus Blue HB 8 S

Irons: Titleist 620CB w/ DGTI X100 4-6

Irons: Titleist 620MB w/ DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50/8F, 56/10S, 60/4T

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ 34"

Ball: Pro V1x Left Dash

I've always preferred to play irons that are middle of the road in terms of forgiveness. I'm always between an 11-13 handicap and I've played Srixon Z765's, Z565's, Callaway X-20 Pros and similar irons for years. 

I've flirted with bigger heads in the past like the Ping G series and others. I just don't enjoy using them and they don't seem to help me score any better. 

Almost anyone with a repeatable swing can use a wedge or nine iron of any type. It really comes down to is how many shots per round you need to use a 5/6/7 iron for a precision shot. It's probably fewer than 6-7 shots for most people. 

I just got a very good deal on a set of T100 S irons. I don't have an official hdcp, but I am by no means good (yet to break 100). I bought them because while they may be lacking in forgiveness, I have hit them periodically at shops and what I really enjoyed compared to my old irons (Callaway X hot pros) is that I could feel exactly where on the face I was striking the ball. I also really enjoy the look of them and I have already been putting a lot of work in to improve my ballstriking. Long story short, if they fit your eye and like how YOU hit them, get them. AS long as you feel confident standing over the ball, play whatever you like.

• Like 1

It is OP's money if he wants to buy them, but if he wants his money's worth on those clubs and have it perform the way they were designed for, he's better hit it off the sweet spot on all those irons (including long irons) consistently.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

The T100s is surprisingly forgiving.  I am almost a year out from my 4th back surgery since 9/2018.  My swing has been all over the place since the surgeries.  I am coming from 716T-MB's.  Played them because I thought they were so easy to hit.  Wasn't sure if I had the game anymore to play a club like the T100s.  I hit them in a fitting in Sept. and really loved them.  My swing has gone from 2* up to now 2* down.  I have struggled a lot with ball striking over the last 4yrs. simply due to the changes in my body and that i haven't practiced in almost 5yrs.  I have no problems at all playing these irons.  I have 5-PW currently and have just ordered the 4 iron.  They are just really good sticks.

If you like'em, play'em! 

• Like 4

Titleist TSR4

Titleist TSR3

Titleist TSi3

Titleist T100s

Vokey SM9

Cameron Notchback

9 minutes ago, Whodamon1 said:

The T100s is surprisingly forgiving.  I am almost a year out from my 4th back surgery since 9/2018.  My swing has been all over the place since the surgeries.  I am coming from 716T-MB's.  Played them because I thought they were so easy to hit.  Wasn't sure if I had the game anymore to play a club like the T100s.  I hit them in a fitting in Sept. and really loved them.  My swing has gone from 2* up to now 2* down.  I have struggled a lot with ball striking over the last 4yrs. simply due to the changes in my body and that i haven't practiced in almost 5yrs.  I have no problems at all playing these irons.  I have 5-PW currently and have just ordered the 4 iron.  They are just really good sticks.

If you like'em, play'em! 

How has golfing been with your back? I dread the day I need surgery to fix mine...

Hey if you like how they look and feel you should play whatever you want. Now if you're planning on getting super serious maybe go get professionally fitted. I was never professionally fitted but was fitted and demo'ed so many different sets that I have no reason to look elsewhere as I feel that I have the perfect set for me. Now with what I play I'm surprised why I don't shoot under par every time I got out Lol! No but seriously I don't really expect that but try to hit as many brands and try as many different shafts that you can and don't just go by what OP say about this or that brand. Your opinion is what matter and don't let anyone influence you in hitting something other than what you are hitting well and like. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

If you have to ask you aren't good enough😉😇😁

• Sad 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The only way you will know is to buy/borrow/steal a set and try them on the golf course for several weeks. 

Can always sell them if it doesn't work out, and you will have learned far more than you will ever learn about what you like/want in an iron than you will find on the range or an on-line forum.

Edited by Itsjustagame
  • Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

If you're even just a decent iron striker then you will be just fine. Only the guys who duff and chunk and blade irons shouldnt play smaller clubs. If you can get the ball up and to your desired distance in the general area of direction you want then there is no problem. Even down to a 4 iron if you can. This modern stuff is way more forgiving then they lead on imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Streetscape said:

How has golfing been with your back? I dread the day I need surgery to fix mine...

Not great.  But I am still able to swing. Can be really frustrating. Still have a long way to go to get strength back.  And learning to work with the nerve damage and drop foot in my right leg. This Dr. has been very cautious with recovery this go around ( and i have been a bit lazy as well) .  A lot of people acted like a fusion (5 levels) was a death sentence for playing golf.  I actually walked out on 2 different Dr's that said I should quit playing golf.  Definitely can't do what I used to do, but I am still able to play.  I'll do it till I can't.  I guess Im kinda lucky that i can still play.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4

Titleist TSR3

Titleist TSi3

Titleist T100s

Vokey SM9

Cameron Notchback

I appreciate the insights that seem to have a couple themes to them. Gives me a better sense of longer-term performance. Kinda like reading the 10,000 mile review instead of the just off the track review.

Could've gone the way of "Yeah, they're pretty, but I feel like I need to be perfect every time or I get punished for it." And I'm not hearing that.

I think one thing that I've noticed with my question and many other threads is that no one is asking for permission or someone else's opinion on whether or not they should buy something. Of course we know we should buy what we want. That's not the question.

The question is if anyone has had real-life experience with the equipment and found them to be easier/harder/finicky/poorly built/deader/even better than when they tested them. I get that's largely unique to the person, but to my car analogy above, I want to know if the acceleration time is only true on a cold day at sea-level, if the handling isn't what the marketing says it is, or if the new bells and whistles all go haywire after 1000 miles... But I'm not asking for validation or permission to buy my car.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I think because of the forgiveness built into them, mid handicaps could play T100 irons just fine. A lot of these "player's performance" irons fit such a wide range of golfers. Because of the multi-material construction, a smaller iron can "look" compact but "play" like a larger iron.

• Like 4

LTDx LS 10.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 14* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM10 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

17 hours ago, golfandtennisfan said:

Vater, as someone who also fits clubs, more important than your handicap is your ball striking skill/consistency. If someone is a great ball striker but has a poor short game, their handicap may be higher than what I would generally  suggest handicap wise. If a very good ball striker, up to 15 to 20 is possible with a combo set as you are considering. That would be pretty rare however. If just basing off handicap, I would agree a 10-12 max handicap. Taylormade had said when the current 770 came out they suggested 6 or less and that is a comparable club class wise. If you trust your ball striking, I say go for it. 

I've still never seen one of these mythical 15 HCs who is an elite ball striker but can't chip or putt. Not a fitter though. Just haven't encountered one in the wild. T100s are great irons and forgiving for what they are. My dad plays the previous version as a 10HC (he is only that due to being a very proficient chipper).  As someone that can launch things a little high due to poor wrist conditions and high speeds, I prefer the 2019 version, but my dad is the perfect example of a slightly slower player that benefits from the added launch of the new version. He hits his a bit too low and they don't spin quite enough. I have a feeling he will struggle with them on firm courses this summer and will opt for something a bit more forgiving. I LOVE them though and would highly recommend them to someone who spins the ball a bit too much but has speed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I've still never seen one of these mythical 15 HCs who is an elite ball striker but can't chip or putt. 

as you said they are mythical and therefore don’t exist

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

as you said they are mythical and therefore don’t exist

I saw that guy on my course. He was playing with Bigfoot. 

• Haha 1

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Newport 2 Studio Stainless 340