2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone ditch the 3 wood for a 4 wood?

chadly643

I've been thinking about this move, I have a 15* 917 that I had turned down slightly but felt it was going too far, went back to standard and I like the flight but kind of miss the more open face. I think the TSr3 is going to get a hard look now that they've gone back to the full scorelines. I'm looking for a bit more reliability off the tee while still being able to hit it off the deck when needed. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Traded in my super hybrid for a rouge st ls HL3w. Prior was an EF SZ 3w. The HL3 is so easy to elevate and for the most part easy to square up.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Long time 3w/5w player, 105-110ss mid-high ball hitter. Last couple months I have been playing a tsi3 15 and tsi3 18 and found the 3w to be a rocket off the tee but wasn’t getting the height I wanted off the fw for me. Really liked the 5w but found that it flew too close to the 3w to have a functional gap. So took a gamble and traded both in for a tsi2 16.5. I’ve been playing it for the past month and couldn’t be happier with it. 4w carries just as far off the tee as 3w but with less rollout (slightly shorter overall but gaps better with driver) and it carries further off the fw with better height. Wish I made the switch earlier. 

Edited by firehole
  • Like 1

For those of you who did this swap to a 4W (for reference I'm looking at 16.5 TSi2), did you play it at 3W length (43") or play it at the stock 4W length (more like 42.5")?

I hit my 5W remarkably better than my 3W so wouldn't mind having the top of my bag be a D, 4W, then a 7w/3h/3i options, then 4 on down. but wondering if you just play it at 3W length and get the height advantage, and then go to stock lengths for everything else.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

22 minutes ago, mxskier said:

For those of you who did this swap to a 4W (for reference I'm looking at 16.5 TSi2), did you play it at 3W length (43") or play it at the stock 4W length (more like 42.5")?

I hit my 5W remarkably better than my 3W so wouldn't mind having the top of my bag be a D, 4W, then a 7w/3h/3i options, then 4 on down. but wondering if you just play it at 3W length and get the height advantage, and then go to stock lengths for everything else.

Play length is personal preference. There's people with 42" 3w and 42.75" 5 woods out there, and etc. All that does is net you +-5yds and fits your height and/or helps dispersion. Also the swing weight will change with shaft length which is also preference.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 hour ago, mxskier said:

I'm at 42.75" and that was only because i gripped down at my fitting.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I'm short, so my driver is at 41.25, the 3HL is a 40.75, and the 11W is at 40.25 after a full bag fitting session.

My fitter was really surprised at  how good the TrackMan numbers looked hitting the 3HL off the mat as my swing speed wasn't very high.

The shaft choice has a lot do with whether the club  will work or not.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I prefer the bigger "chassis" that a 3W head offers over a 4W head.

I have my TSi2 15* lofted up, and I play it a bit shorter at 42.5" ungripped.

I tried many 4W & 5W, but found my misses with them to be spin'y , short, and directionally challenged 😆.  After my 3W I go to a 21* TSi2 hybrid, then 5i.   My bag has only 12 clubs.

Edited by ARL67

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I've fallen in love with my Epic Speed 4 wood. It makes a really good secondary tee club. Based on Garmin data I've been averaging about 225 with it from a tee which works on a ton of holes from the tees we play. 

Looking at the Garmin data for my driver I see an average of only 238. There are more out-and-out duffs included in the driver data for sure, but that's real world stuff. My best drives are more like 255-260 total. I'd like to see more of those and less of the others. 

I've scheduled a lesson for next week at a fitting studio that has Trackman and Swing Catalyst and all that stuff. My goal is to nail down all the elements that help me get the best launch conditions I'm capable of generating. Going to explore ball position, tee height, setup orientation, swing weight/shaft length, hosel settings, etc. and try to home in on the best set of variables for me.

Hopefully I can get my driver average up from 238 closer to 250. If I can't I'll probably go back to using a mini driver or 3+. There's no sense in using a driver if it's only 12-14 yards longer than my 4 wood!

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I ditched my three wood for a five wood years ago then switched to an m4 3hl about two years back. It misbehaved one too many times Saturday so I went looking for a replacement and gave numerous three woods a go thinking now would be the time to try again.

After an hour or so hitting different three woods and struggling, my coach passed me a tsi2 4 wood. So my 3hl was replaced with another club of the same loft. I’ve given up on three woods officially now.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 7/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, mxskier said:

I use a stock Cally X2Hot 4W - love it.   If you want - put in a longer shaft and just grip down for less yardage.  Use a Golf Pride CP2 Pro grip (lower hand is built up) or add a few wraps to the lower hand of your favorite grip....and when you grip down, it feels normal.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, mxskier said:

i tried the tsi2 3w at stock vs the 4w at stock and walked out with the 4w. The slightly shorter shaft just helped massively. My old m4 3hl was 3w length with 4w loft and I could be inconsistent.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 7/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, mxskier said:

42.5 but I’ve always gamed a 3 wood at a shorter length.

Not a direct replacement... But about 2 years ago I pulled 3W in favor of a 12* driver that I'm still using as a 2W on short/tight holes.  Was rarely using the 3W from the fairway, and the 2W has been more effective off the tee. 

Recently I had an open spot in the bag, and one gap was on long approach shots (230+).  So I just added a TSi2 16.5* 4W that will get time in the bag.   Will not use it regularly off the tee, but early results from the fairway have been good.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

28 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

Not a direct replacement... But about 2 years ago I pulled 3W in favor of a 12* driver that I'm still using as a 2W on short/tight holes.  Was rarely using the 3W from the fairway, and the 2W has been more effective off the tee. 

Recently I had an open spot in the bag, and one gap was on long approach shots (230+).  So I just added a TSi2 16.5* 4W that will get time in the bag.   Will not use it regularly off the tee, but early results from the fairway have been good.

A 16.5 fairway (that is still adjustable if one must tinker) with a stock 42.5 shaft is very appealing. If I ever leave Ping I may give the Titleist 16.5 option a try, if still offered then.

• 2 weeks later...

just did this.

Was using Mavrik 3 wood which i was hitting pretty ok but sometimes wasn't the best club to use when hitting off the fairway.

Switched to Tsi2 16.5 and it's been great to say the least. Probably lost 5-10 yds but the accuracy is far better compared to the 3 wood.

There's this course I play often that has 531 yd part 5. I've been getting on the green on 2 almost every time since switching to the 4 wood. 

Edited by NayaBKL

I switched earlier this year.  I had used a TEE 15 degree since prehistoric times and still hit it well.  I switched because of wedges.  I had played 48 or 47 degree pitching wedges along with a 52 and a 58 for decades.  With stronger lofts, I now have TCB’s with a 46 PW and the yardage gap to 52 had gotten too large.  So I went to 50 /54/58 in the wedges and took out my three iron.  I went to a 17 degree 4 wood.  (Mavrik SZ adjustable) and a 7 wood (Mavrik SZ bonded 20 degree).  I like my new yardages gaps.  I do hit the 4W about 10 yards shorter than my 3 w.  The 7w is 12 yards shorter than my 5 wood was, so it flows nicely to the 4 iron.  I do not miss the 10 yards at the top of my bag.

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2022 at 2:58 PM, WidespreadPanic said:

I played a 4 wood for years, until I found the Mavrik 15* which is pretty easy to launch of the deck, and boy is it long off the tee.

I've played the Mavrik 4 wood all summer,  a 4W/7W setup.  In the last two weeks I have taken the 4W out of the bag and put in the Mavrik 3W 15*.  Longer off the tee and I can get an extra 15 yards on it that allows me to reach the green on a couple of holes at my local course.  I also seem to just hit it better, a more penetrating shot than the 4W.

So I've gone in the opposite direction this season.

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Vice Pro or Wilson Staff Zip

3 hours ago, Augie53 said:

I've played the Mavrik 4 wood all summer,  a 4W/7W setup.  In the last two weeks I have taken the 4W out of the bag and put in the Mavrik 3W 15*.  Longer off the tee and I can get an extra 15 yards on it that allows me to reach the green on a couple of holes at my local course.  I also seem to just hit it better, a more penetrating shot than the 4W.

So I've gone in the opposite direction this season.

The Mavrik fairway wood line is kind of a unicorn. Such a great line of fairways and so easy to hit.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

I've used the 17* Callaway UW for most of the summer and hit it pretty well off the tee.  I just had issues hitting it higher...opposite problem of many here on WRX.  I recently got rid of it and got a PING G425 5w that I have turned down to 16.5*, and the stock ball flight is much higher, which is what I want from it.  It's really good off the deck and long enough off the tee for me.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

My fairway has some serious Identity issues.  It's 16.5*, classic 4-wood loft, but it says 3-wood on it, and I carry it further than I did most 15* 3-woods I've played.  Is it a 4-wood that identifies as a 3-wood?  A real 3-wood?  A 3-wood trapped in a 4-wood's clubhead?  It's so confusing!!! 

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

1 hour ago, lazyjc4 said:

My fairway has some serious Identity issues.  It's 16.5*, classic 4-wood loft, but it says 3-wood on it, and I carry it further than I did most 15* 3-woods I've played.  Is it a 4-wood that identifies as a 3-wood?  A real 3-wood?  A 3-wood trapped in a 4-wood's clubhead?  It's so confusing!!! 

Ha. Marketing. I see the same model also has a 15 degree "3 wood" also a 43" shaft.  Probably the perception (probably true) that the average golfer figures they need something with a 3W label in the bag.

I remember when I got my first Ping 27 degree "5 hybrid" fixed hosel and some brands were marketing one at around 24 degrees. "What did you hit there, Fred?"  "My 5 hybrid."  "Wow, Fred, you hit that as far as my Ping 4 hybrid."

Edited by myspinonit

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda resurrecting an older thread here but I’m definitely submitting another vote for 4 wood.

I had been wanting to try one instead of cranking up the loft on my TM Sim Ti 3W. It was tough to find one since I’m a lefty but I located a used TSi2 16.5

Boy am I glad I did. I took it out to my home course here in Southwest Florida this afternoon and since it’s 93 and humid the course was pretty empty. That allowed me to hit 3 balls each time while testing with Arccos to gather some solid data. Shot after shot after shot the ball stayed perfectly online with a slight draw. High launch but didn’t balloon. I teed it very low on tee box occasions, basically the ball was just hovering over the grass. My normal 3 wood off the tee is around 240 at sea level. The TSi2 was going 235 off the tee and off the deck. The difference was off the deck I’d usually see a 10 yard drop off with the 3W and there was no drop off with the 4 wood so it actually out carried/totaled the 3 wood but launched at least 25 feet higher and stopped within 5-7 yards. Making it possible to hold a green from 235 out. 

I usually swing very controlled with everything but driver where I am going for max distance rather than consistent distance. I decided to see what my controllable max was with the 4 wood and I had a bit of a tailwind on a short par 4. I cranked it up to 95% and hit a towering shot that went dead on line and finished at 276 yards. For reference my average drive on Arccos is 266 (usually have 1 or 2 per round that go 275-280). The crazy thing is that it still went perfectly on line with a slight draw. It looked exactly like my standard 85% shots just went an extra 40 yards (with some help from the wind). 

It’s my opinion that the vast majority of amateurs should be carrying something 16° or higher as their longest club off the deck. 

My setup now is:

Driver - Titleist TSR2 10° (Set to A1)

4 wood - Titleist TSi2 16.5 (Set to D4)

7 wood - PXG 0341x 21° (standard setting)

4i - Cobra Forged Tec 

5-PW - Cobra King Tour MIM 

52/56/60 - Cobra King MIM Black Wedges

Putter - Taylormade Spider GT Single Bend