2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2022 Bridgestone BX - shocked!

gman1707

6 hours ago, CJFnoles09 said:

Have you been able to test is against the current Pro V1X? The old one few straighter and was good everywhere except for off the tee. I'm hoping the new new can keep up and still perform like the old one everywhere else. 

No I have not.  Have not tested a Titleist ball in a while.  I probably should revisit the line up.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

11 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

How does the bX launch? 

Tested it on course yesterday against pro v1x and chrome soft X ls. Launch is about the same as the callaway and a little lower that the pro v1x. Distance with all three was about the same. BX is by far the softest off the putter and wedges 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:10 AM, CJFnoles09 said:

Tested it on course yesterday against pro v1x and chrome soft X ls. Launch is about the same as the callaway and a little lower that the pro v1x. Distance with all three was about the same. BX is by far the softest off the putter and wedges 

awesome!! And still the great durability?

Went from Titleist Pro V1x -> Snell MTB -> Bridgestone B XS -> Bridgestone B X.  So far the B X is the best all around ball for me, great distance off the tee, great spin around the greens and feels great off the putter.  I've been playing the 2020's and 2022's and notice little difference between the two.  

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

5 hours ago, new2g0lf said:

Went from Titleist Pro V1x -> Snell MTB -> Bridgestone B XS -> Bridgestone B X.  So far the B X is the best all around ball for me, great distance off the tee, great spin around the greens and feels great off the putter.  I've been playing the 2020's and 2022's and notice little difference between the two.  

What little difference did you notice going 2020 to 2022?

And what made you go XS to X?

Edited by Trippels

5 hours ago, Trippels said:

What little difference did you notice going 2020 to 2022?

And what made you go XS to X?

2022 seem slightly longer, difference in minimal.  X felt better on the putter,  I definitely putt better with B X

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

On 4/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, CJFnoles09 said:

How did launch compare with the XS? 

Also, how was launch and spin on irons compared to the ProV1X?

I’ve been experimenting with the Chrome Soft X, but I think it may spin on the irons too much for me, but I love it’s straighter ball flight compared to the Titleist. It’s definitely a match off the driver and around the greens. 

I did a trackman session over winter comparing Pro V1, Snell MTBX, B'Stone BX and B'Stone BXS. I need to dig out the exact numbers but here is what I recall (driver CHS: 106 mph; 5* Positive AOA; launch was ~ 14*; miss is a hook)

Ball Speed: BX and ProV1 were highest followed by the MTBX and then the BXS

Spin off driver: proV1 was lowest, then BX/MTBX & last BXS

Spin off scoring iron: BXS was highest, then BX/ProV1/MTBX

I followed up this comparison on my home course. BX offered the best balance to my swing, Pro V1 was equal in distance but the trajectory was a bit lower. BXS was the most impacted by cross winds. My choice is the BX going forward, love the soft feel of BXS off the putter face but not enough to choose it over the BX.

FWIW, I tested the latest B'Stone RX and hated it around the greens, very little 'check' on the greens on chip / pitch shots. It was also very high launching, was affected by winds and slightly shorter (vs the BX)

Finally, I also have experienced the Srixon Z Stars to be exceptional in windy conditions. Must be related to their dimple design. I am often tempted to switch to Srixon but prefer to stay with my B'Stone BX. Must be a emotional choice  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, NewToGolf19 said:

Does anyone have experience with the B X at slower (less than 105 mph SS)? The B X was the top recommendation for me by Ping’s Ballnamic fitting, and my driver SS is 93-96 mph.

Ballnamic put me in this ball too.  I am a high handicapper, and 99 mph SS.  I tried them despite the ridiculous price tag.  I liked them, hit some good drives over 270, and had some thinned approaches I thought would careen 40 yards long, but I was on back fringe.  Maybe it was a coincidence.  I didn't hit them very high.  Definitely not an impressive looking ball flight for me, but well hit shots went well.  I would keep using it as long as I don't lose too many.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:41 PM, Abh159 said:

Although I'm sure the B X would be fine (those swing speed guidelines are just that... guidelines) you might get more out of the B RX at that speed.

The B RX is the ball Lexi Thompson plays and is designed to be the B X alternative for people with slower swing speeds. Similarly, Fred Couples plays the B RXS which is the B XS alternative for people with slower swing speeds.

Are we sure swing speed is accurate as advertised for the performance of these balls ? I have some doubts. Let's say for example, someone has 104 SS, the other has 106. By default you would categorise them into BRX ad BX accordingly, however, that might not benefit each of the 2 players.

This is not to bash you, more for a general dicussion.

Personally, i struggle with the SS recommendations according to the marketting, because i experienced a completely different result, particularly with the Callaway Supersoft and the Bridgestone e12 soft. They are both really amazing off the driver, with a 115 SS using a low compression ball. They don't perform so well greenside for chipping, however, they're great off the putter. When i played in europe, I could achieve stop drop and spin with the supersoft. (probably related more to the green firmness levels)

I previously tried the BXS, and i don't know what it was , but i didn't like it, and it didn't spin very well either. Perhaps an older model, different design or whatever, but the 2022 BX spins better than the BXS i tried. (2020 model maybe ? the one with tiger all over the box)

I swing my driver at 115 and my irons around 98, wedge shots are a bit slower still. However, short game is where you want the spin more. Therefore, i'm very curious why balls are rated to driver swing speed, as opposed to iron swing speed, considering you would use a driver ~14 shots per round, compared to 20-30 putts and 30-60 shots with irons and wedges.

It's really too tricky to judge someone's swing speed and recommend them a ball, based purely from marketting strategies, particularly now when every single ball, even when designed for different people or purpose all claim to be "low spin driver distance balls with exceptional greenside spin and control".

Then you compare a brand's range and they have high, higher and highest. it's becoming a joke and it's honestly very confusing if you're not using a trackman 24/7.

So far, i've yet to see any difference between a variety of 15-20 different balls from performance off the driver. Other than rock balls, which just feel disgusting, but still give similar results.

therefore, i don't see why driver SS is the deterministic factor in deciding how to select a golf ball.

I recently finally found the BX ball available and it was great. Instantly great feeling ball throughout the bag.

320 yards downhill from a 3 wood last week was a noteable shot. ball speed and distance - check.

Tee and approach shots from irons into the green, they stop very well for firm greens. spin and control - check.

I will say the feel is not great. for me, a tad firm and clicky, but the performance takes over. Something i could never forgive before on other balls to tolerate the feel for the performance.

The B X is that good !

Just found and ordered 2 dozen, planning to do more short game testing to see exactly what the difference is around greenside.

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

14 hours ago, Andygolderson said:

Are we sure swing speed is accurate as advertised for the performance of these balls ? I have some doubts. Let's say for example, someone has 104 SS, the other has 106. By default you would categorise them into BRX ad BX accordingly, however, that might not benefit each of the 2 players.

This is not to bash you, more for a general dicussion.

Personally, i struggle with the SS recommendations according to the marketting, because i experienced a completely different result, particularly with the Callaway Supersoft and the Bridgestone e12 soft. They are both really amazing off the driver, with a 115 SS using a low compression ball. They don't perform so well greenside for chipping, however, they're great off the putter. When i played in europe, I could achieve stop drop and spin with the supersoft. (probably related more to the green firmness levels)

I previously tried the BXS, and i don't know what it was , but i didn't like it, and it didn't spin very well either. Perhaps an older model, different design or whatever, but the 2022 BX spins better than the BXS i tried. (2020 model maybe ? the one with tiger all over the box)

I swing my driver at 115 and my irons around 98, wedge shots are a bit slower still. However, short game is where you want the spin more. Therefore, i'm very curious why balls are rated to driver swing speed, as opposed to iron swing speed, considering you would use a driver ~14 shots per round, compared to 20-30 putts and 30-60 shots with irons and wedges.

It's really too tricky to judge someone's swing speed and recommend them a ball, based purely from marketting strategies, particularly now when every single ball, even when designed for different people or purpose all claim to be "low spin driver distance balls with exceptional greenside spin and control".

Then you compare a brand's range and they have high, higher and highest. it's becoming a joke and it's honestly very confusing if you're not using a trackman 24/7.

So far, i've yet to see any difference between a variety of 15-20 different balls from performance off the driver. Other than rock balls, which just feel disgusting, but still give similar results.

therefore, i don't see why driver SS is the deterministic factor in deciding how to select a golf ball.

I recently finally found the BX ball available and it was great. Instantly great feeling ball throughout the bag.

320 yards downhill from a 3 wood last week was a noteable shot. ball speed and distance - check.

Tee and approach shots from irons into the green, they stop very well for firm greens. spin and control - check.

I will say the feel is not great. for me, a tad firm and clicky, but the performance takes over. Something i could never forgive before on other balls to tolerate the feel for the performance.

The B X is that good !

Just found and ordered 2 dozen, planning to do more short game testing to see exactly what the difference is around greenside.

on this point, believe Lexi Thompson plays the R version even though based on her 106 SS you would expect her to be using the non-R

I am conflicted reading your posts. i have played B XS balls off and on since the 2018 version. have liked the 2020 version the best. I tried the 2022 BX a couple weeks ago, after reading your posts, and played 36 holes with it. It felt like a rock! i did not play badly, but was amazed at how hard it was. my usual gamer has been the V1X. my driver SS is at approximately 100 MPH. The 2021 V1X felt soft to me, the BXS feels the best to me, but i've been conditioned to play Titleist. Am i the only one that felt that the BX was really hard?

On 7/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, Always Ping said:

I am conflicted reading your posts. i have played B XS balls off and on since the 2018 version. have liked the 2020 version the best. I tried the 2022 BX a couple weeks ago, after reading your posts, and played 36 holes with it. It felt like a rock! i did not play badly, but was amazed at how hard it was. my usual gamer has been the V1X. my driver SS is at approximately 100 MPH. The 2021 V1X felt soft to me, the BXS feels the best to me, but i've been conditioned to play Titleist. Am i the only one that felt that the BX was really hard?

I'm still playing the 2020 BX and have tried the '22 BX, and I feel the '22 BX feels softer than the 2020 BX...very close to the '21 Pro V1X IMO.  The BXS was the softest feeling ball I've tried.

Edited by Drewhill44
  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

On 7/19/2022 at 5:09 AM, Always Ping said:

2022 is not hard, no

XXIO premium ball.

22 BX feels similar to the 20 BX for me. Not really a fan, will stick to ProV1 and Left Dash ProV1x's.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

On 7/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, Always Ping said:

On the contrary I actually wish the BXS was firmer. It performs best for me because I’m a low spin player, but I can barely feel it off the full swing clubs because it’s so soft. 

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

Not buying in 100% at all on these swing speed guidelines. I'm 65 ( in great shape ) and my driver SS averages around 95mph. Six iron SS averages around 82 with an average distance of 175 yards. I consistently hit the Tour BXS further than either the Pro V1 and Chrome Soft. The Tour BXS doesn't quite bite as good as the Pro V1 but just fine for me. When you play the same ball all the time you adjust.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

11 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Not buying in 100% at all on these swing speed guidelines. I'm 65 ( in great shape ) and my driver SS averages around 95mph. Six iron SS averages around 82 with an average distance of 175 yards. I consistently hit the Tour BXS further than either the Pro V1 and Chrome Soft. The Tour BXS doesn't quite bite as good as the Pro V1 but just fine for me. When you play the same ball all the time you adjust.

@SEP1006how much longer is the bxs for you compared to prov1? My ss is the same as yours and I love the feel of prov1s. Ballnamic recommended I try the b x, but I haven’t made the jump yet.

6 hours ago, NewToGolf19 said:

@SEP1006how much longer is the bxs for you compared to prov1? My ss is the same as yours and I love the feel of prov1s. Ballnamic recommended I try the b x, but I haven’t made the jump yet.

Not much but consistently 5 - 10 yards, depending on how solid I hit it.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

The whole swing speed thing is a general guide for average golfers. Since the RX and RXS spin quite a bit less than X and XS, they'll go further for the average guy. And at those speeds the softer feel won't matter since overcompression won't be a thing.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 2:04 AM, Yoshifan151 said:

The whole swing speed thing is a general guide for average golfers. Since the RX and RXS spin quite a bit less than X and XS, they'll go further for the average guy. And at those speeds the softer feel won't matter since overcompression won't be a thing.

very much a guide only -  I mean doesn't Fred Couples use one of the R versions? One of the great things about the Bridgestone B and R line is that there are 4 options to choose from.

The main and bestest thing to me is the feel - all top line balls are good to great performance but for me the Bridgestone feels especially lovely. I prefer more click and some firmness so for me it's a B X.

Maxfli tour are good, and i liked the yellow Pro V1x i used for a while... but they don't feel anything like as good to me (i suspect it's the non newtonian cover material, particularly satisfying thump with a driver) - I just wish the B X was available in yellow for my vision.... here in Thailand, at least there's no chance - but they still offer the buy a dozen get a sleeve of three free deal so...

IMG_4354.JPG.10b34e6c764d58bedaf17f19b16286ec.JPG

Edited by coops
  • Like 2

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 2 weeks later...

Played in a scramble last week and can report on the 2022 BX vs the TP5X.

I've played the TP5X since the original release (was a PRO V guy before that).

The new BX feels MUCH softer off every club, which is nice. It spins more off the irons and wedges than the TP5X, but seemed a little shorter on mid and long irons than the TP5X. I had one pitch with the BX that landed on a downslope and bit really hard stopping next to the pin, the TP5X would not have done that, and I'd have been left with a 15-20 ft putt instead of a 3 footer.

I didn't really hit either ball with the driver (had Taylormade distance balls for swing outta my shoes drivers.... it was a scramble, it's what you do... LOL)

I think I'm sticking with the TP5X as my gamer though, the loss of distance on the irons (5 yards or so, mainly due to spin I think) is a non starter. The bite on chips/pitches is definitely tempting.

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:11 AM, Jlender21 said:

awesome!! And still the great durability?

I’ve been a Bridgestone guy for 14 years, and I’m sadly shopping around for a new ball this year because of the durability issues I’m having with the ‘22 BX. Breaks my heart, because the ‘20 BX was the perfect golf ball for me, but this year, anything hit 3/4 or more with a 9iron or down is scuffing and cutting the cover. The performance of this ball is amazing, but I can’t afford to replace a ball every 3 holes. It sucks. I love bridgestone. But the new cover isn’t working for my bank account. For reference, I’m a +3 handicap, 115mph driver swing, and can produce a boat load of spin. Wouldn’t say I’m overly steep on my downswing, but I generate a good amount of lag and pinch the ball really well. 

Obviously most people could have different results, but wanted to share mine in hopes this info helps someone! 

• Like 1

Jeremiah 29:11

I haven’t had the same durability issues but I have now had 2 balls from new sleeves with QC issues. I played the BX for the last 3 years and this year is the first I’ve seen it. One ball was severely deformed. It was crazy - almost like someone was able to push a thumb into it. The other had a hole in the cover. I originally thought it was dirt but I could stick the end of a tee in it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, coops said:

I just wish the B X was available in yellow for my vision.... here in Thailand, at least there's no chance - but they still offer the buy a dozen get a sleeve of three free deal so...

They are available in Yellow. They're very bright with some sparkles, i bought them here in Taiwan, so should be possible for you to find them i guess.

XXIO premium ball.

5 hours ago, Andygolderson said:

They are available in Yellow. They're very bright with some sparkles, i bought them here in Taiwan, so should be possible for you to find them i guess.

Not in Thailand, unfortunately... but as i'm off to the US for a holiday i've ordered a couple dozen of the yellow BX from over there to pick up. 😉

• Thanks 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

On 4/4/2022 at 7:41 AM, Oregongolfcollector said:

Bridgestone balls are good but srixon are better in the wind 

Srixons are great in the wind. I’ve actually gone the other way and switched from the Z star XV to the tour BXS. I’ve found that the Bridgestone is much better for my game especially when it comes to short game and irons. 

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego