Clubs that should've been icons

MtlJeff

10 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Anyway, one think i've always felt is that the Callaway Mavrik family of woods deserved waaaaaaaaay more love. But it was sandwiched between 2 families of "Epic" wood lines which were way more marketed and recognized as more of the premium wood. The Mavrik was their "off year" driver.

I posted here in 2020 that the Mav Max was every bit as good if not better than the G400 max which became a sensation. The regular Mavrik had a very classic color and head shape, sat slightly open, had a somewhat deepish face, a crisp sound that could be loved by all---And came stock with a Aldila Rogue White MSI130 shaft to boot.

For 2 years i've been using Mavriks (i own the Max and the standard) wondering why no one else picked up on this.

I was interested in this as well, and I agree regarding the Max. However, the Standard and to an even greater degree the Sub Zero were quite low MOI and very low CG, both in general and compared to their peers at the time. This was counter to the industry trend of pushing MOI higher and higher, and as a result they were just less stable and probably "launch monitor queens" more than practical gamers for most. It's a shame because those two were fantastic looking heads. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Threads I did not need to open! Finally reunited with the beloved G400 Max and saw threads on different boards praising the Mavrik Max.....

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Mavrik was a good line, especially the FW and Hybrids. I owned both the SZ and Std drivers and I preferred the standard one more. Nothing wrong with it, but there was an improvement in feel and sound when I swapped over to Epic Max. I think what made Mavrik so great was it followed the Epic Flash, which performed admirably but sounded horrible imo. There was not enough hotmelt to make that sound better, and I resorted to using softer balls just to not have to hear it as loudly. 

I would like to say however that for me, the OG XHOT is still my go to... I still have the Mavrik 3w, 5w, and 3H and 4H in wrapper waiting for my XHOT Pros to come out of my bag, but at this rate, it will prob become as old as my Xhots before they make it in. I gamed the driver and I regret getting rid of it to this day, and these are my 3rd set of FWs Im using. Launch monitor and on-course, they are every bit as long as the new ones, and for me they are as understated at address as anything else you can find. No graphics, no gimmicks, just solid turf interaction that works both off the tee and deck. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, john myrbch said:

An OEM like Callaway eats it’s own with their yearly release cycles.

You’re right, about th Mavrick  lineup. I hated the name and the color way, but there was no denying they were good.

BTW I use the same “off year” description when talking about Cally’s even year releases, yet for my money, the 2018 Rogue and Mavrick were better than the Epic lines that preceded and followed them.

As someone who just jumped back into the game this year and had 10+ years of gear to sort through, get excited about, and ultimately buy... 

I ended up buying a used Mavrick Max 9* turned up to 10* based on nothing other than reading reviews, watching youtube etc... And I love it. So considering this, maybe it got more street cred than you all think. But... I also got it for pretty cheap all things considered so maybe you are right lol.

Driver 8* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

4 Iron 19.5* F9 One Length KBS Tour 80 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

22* & 25* SIM DHY Tour AD-DI 85 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

23 hours ago, drpino said:

I have a 905S with an original OEM installed Fuji Speeder 757.  Not the most forging but still great out of the middle of the face!  I don’t miss working on bore-thru clubs at all though 😉

I've still got my old one with a Grafalloy Blue and some judicious hotmelting in the heel. A fantastic low spin combo.

• Like 2

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

On 5/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Although I don't think it's an "unsolved mystery," the forged Anser irons probably could have been more iconic, even at their price point, if you just replaced the "Ping" branding with "Titleist" and kept everything else the same.  They are really well designed irons.

I also understand the cult following of Eye 2s (and I'm not pushing back on it), but I personally prefer the forged Hogan Edge cavity backs from the late 80s.  Less offset, fantastic feel, effortless to launch.

+1 on the Ansers (v.2).  I have a set in my holiday bag and they are wonderful. I keep thinking about bringing them home...

IMG_20210902_151949.jpg

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Duplicate post, apologies!

Edited by ColinKelvin
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

27 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

+1 on the Ansers (v.2).  I have a set in my holiday bag and they are wonderful. I keep thinking about bringing them home...

IMG_20210902_151949.jpg

👍 +3 Ansers V2

Had 2 sets of them but now regret moving them on but they are in loving homes.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

First off can we get some recognition for the absolutely hilarious unsolved mysteries intro?  

Secondly no… the Cleveland VAS irons should not have been iconic.  They were and abomination and if they hadn’t already made the 588 wedges the company probably would have folded. 

Lastly, since Cleveland didn’t go out of business they went on to make the should’ve been iconic Quadpro fairway woods.  Those were absolute rocket launchers. 

Cobra LTDx Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5i

Srixon Z785 6-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

On 5/5/2022 at 3:12 AM, MtlJeff said:

There are many unsolved mysteries out there (i learned this growing up watching a show about unsolved mysteries starring Robert Stack, i can't remember the name but i think it was "Cops")

Anyway, one think i've always felt is that the Callaway Mavrik family of woods deserved waaaaaaaaay more love. But it was sandwiched between 2 families of "Epic" wood lines which were way more marketed and recognized as more of the premium wood. The Mavrik was their "off year" driver.

I posted here in 2020 that the Mav Max was every bit as good if not better than the G400 max which became a sensation. The regular Mavrik had a very classic color and head shape, sat slightly open, had a somewhat deepish face, a crisp sound that could be loved by all---And came stock with a Aldila Rogue White MSI130 shaft to boot.

For 2 years i've been using Mavriks (i own the Max and the standard) wondering why no one else picked up on this.

Are there clubs you love and just don't understand why others never got it?

IMG_7166.JPG

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

3 hours ago, dgarland said:

First off can we get some recognition for the absolutely hilarious unsolved mysteries intro?  

Secondly no… the Cleveland VAS irons should not have been iconic.  They were and abomination and if they hadn’t already made the 588 wedges the company probably would have folded. 

Lastly, since Cleveland didn’t go out of business they went on to make the should’ve been iconic Quadpro fairway woods.  Those were absolute rocket launchers. 

My dad had a set of the Quadpro irons. I used them a bit after he passed away. They were really easy to launch and distance was good also.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged.   

Any other name on them, they'd be right up there..

Edited by dan360
  • Like 4
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I'll throw out a few here ...

Ping S57/56/55 irons - just too different for the Ping crowd and the Ping name scared away others who would've loved them.

Adams CMB - Spectacular

and last (but not ...) SCOR 4161 wedges - Phenomenal in all aspects of looks, feel and performance

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

Cobra Amp Cell Pro MB irons. OG TM RAC Black Wedges. Goldwin Golf AVDP XXL400 Driver (take the sole plate off and add half a pound of lead, turned it into a sledgehammer!). Callaway original XHot 3 wd. Zebra Mallet putter. Founders Club 2000 Series blades. Maxfli A10 golf ball. Wilson Staff Ti Balata. Wilson Invex Ti (still have one in MINT condition, love that club!)

That is the complete list of golf gear that should have gotten WAY more love in their prime. And yes, I am in my mid 40's and nostalgic. You are welcome. 

***EDIT*** - MacTec line of woods back in 2007-8ish....the shafts were completely garbage and played like 2 steps too weak BUT....the heads were FREAKING NUKE HOT. I had an 8.5 with a Vista Pro 90X that was something stupid like 20 yrds longer than the R5 or Callaway Ft3...took a while to get the right shaft in it but holy jesus once you got that part figured out....

Edited by sconsetshow
  • Like 2

Ye Ole Bag Setup: Adams 9016D 8.5 Aldila RIP 70XX RBZ Tour 13.5 RIP 90X VSteel 5wd NV Green 90X TM TP UDI 2 PX Handcrafted Hazardous 105X TM 2014 TP MB KBS CT TM MG 50,54,58 TM ItsyBitsy SpiderS TM TP5X

16 hours ago, dgarland said:

As i fully back all this Cleveland love (and rightful disdain for the VAS), how about the Cleveland Classic Drivers.  I can't remember the naming on the 3 models.  But I had the one that was 2-3 degrees open.  In my never ending search to improve, I got rid of it for a driver I probably didn't hit nearly as well.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2022 at 3:13 PM, minhjn said:

OG Ping Rapture 14* fairway wood. For 2006, this club was hot. Full titanium construction, deep face, lots of heel to toe camber, what more could you want?

The ZX fairway is honestly really really good but no one except me plays one

Saw this comment in the article round up and had to come here and give you a shout out. Best 3 wood i've ever had. Will never let mine go even though it's just sitting in the house as a back up. I had so much confidence in this 3 wood! She's a beaut for sure. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bkgeneral said:

As i fully back all this Cleveland love (and rightful disdain for the VAS), how about the Cleveland Classic Drivers.  I can't remember the naming on the 3 models.  But I had the one that was 2-3 degrees open.  In my never ending search to improve, I got rid of it for a driver I probably didn't hit nearly as well.

I think you are referring to the 290 T3 head. 

46 minutes ago, Bkgeneral said:

Had a Cleveland Classic 310 T version with a Miyazaki black 73x that should have kept myself, nice trip down memory lane there 👍🏻

Edited by Mitchell
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

5 hours ago, sconsetshow said:

***EDIT*** - MacTec line of woods back in 2007-8ish....the shafts were completely garbage and played like 2 steps too weak BUT....the heads were FREAKING NUKE HOT. I had an 8.5 with a Vista Pro 90X that was something stupid like 20 yrds longer than the R5 or Callaway Ft3...took a while to get the right shaft in it but holy jesus once you got that part figured out....

I had a MacTec driver with an x100 shaft at somewhere around 44" maybe a little less.  The sound was terrible but it was a cannon and pretty easy to hit straightish.  I should have kept it around. I doubt I got much of anything for it.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, bladehunter said:

Amen to that. Mavrik subzero fairways are goat level.  Truly.  I regret swapping out of stupidity. Or boredom.  

on the flip side I hated the epic right before those.  Horrible sounding driver and woods 

I would agree here. Just picked up a TC Mav sub 7wd and I'm super impressed. The thing flat out screams high heaters. 

My biggest issue with it is just how FAR I hit it. I was looking for something to slot in right above my 20* U85 and this thing is ridiculously long (too long honestly).....

• Like 1