2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

53 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Interesting thought provoking articles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

I say let BK play on Ryder Cup team.  It would be a travesty to keep him off the team.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

43 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I almost wonder if he won’t be the first reverse defector ?    

I honestly think the injury let him have it both ways and gave him a plausible excuse which he's used in hindsight and it's created the defector vibe, but no way his brother gets LIV $$$ without Brooks going.  I think he was happy to make his bed with LIV and no regrets that I've seen him express.  

This Ryder Cup stuff is over the top, lol.  Lots of time to go yet and I think if he has the points he's probably in automatically and he probably will have the points.

The rest of the Saudi Leaguers? Not likely IMO and most of them the team is better without from a team point of view.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HomaComa said:

I could name a handful of reasons why LIV is inferior:

1. Lack of Cuts

2. Crappy Venues

3. Guys just don't care

4. Also you can't say a tour has some of the best players in the world when Chase Koepka and Pat Perez are playing in every event.

Also why can't we hold LIV on the same pedestal as the tour? LIV wants OWGR points and other perks that come with the tour but they refuse to even make an effort to meet the requirements.

Crappy venues?  Guys don’t care?  Pat Perez held his pga tour card for what 20 years.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HomaComa said:

I could name a handful of reasons why LIV is inferior:

1. Lack of Cuts

2. Crappy Venues

3. Guys just don't care

4. Also you can't say a tour has some of the best players in the world when Chase Koepka and Pat Perez are playing in every event.

Also why can't we hold LIV on the same pedestal as the tour? LIV wants OWGR points and other perks that come with the tour but they refuse to even make an effort to meet the requirements.

1. I'll give you that.

2. Try again, Trump courses are world class.

3. They're Professionals they care, they perform or lose their status.

4. Perez had a Tour card forever just like JJ Spain and Luke Donald do now.

Maybe the requirements need to be tweaked.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

I say let BK play on Ryder Cup team.  It would be a travesty to keep him off the team.  

If he qualifies I absolutely agree. Thing is, I think he needs to Top 3 or so in the last two majors to make it. There are just too many points up for grabs between now and then and IMO he cant afford one bad major.

• Like 2

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

8 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I honestly think the injury let him have it both ways and gave him a plausible excuse which he's used in hindsight and it's created the defector vibe, but no way his brother gets LIV $$$ without Brooks going.  I think he was happy to make his bed with LIV and no regrets that I've seen him express.  

This Ryder Cup stuff is over the top, lol.  Lots of time to go yet and I think if he has the points he's probably in automatically and he probably will have the points.

The rest of the Saudi Leaguers? Not likely IMO and most of them the team is better without from a team point of view.

Yep. Agree.  I think if he qualifies on points he’s in. But I don’t think they choose anyone else. Why would they ? There’s plenty of options for picks on the us side. 

definitely forgot about chase.   For sure he’s instantly unemployed if brother leaves.   

• Like 3

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

31 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

The response to Claude is easy.  

when brooks left to go to the SL he was washed up.  As in injured.  It made sense to take the money for retirement purposes.  And to be his brothers meal ticket.  I understood him leaving more than most.  So Claude whining about people saying that is nonsense.  It is the truth.  It’s changed now for the better. But there was no guarantee it would at that time. 

and his take on why folks don’t like the SL isn’t all of the story.  It’s not even most of the story.  The saudi connection is but a blip on the radar of reasons.  The true dislike comes from the format.  the evidence to support this is the fact that tours have played for the Saudis for years , and there’s been no large scale uprising about it.  It’s true that this is an attempt to buy a sport for clout and image repair.  But most don’t care about that nearly as much as they do the format and imagery that the SL . 

by that I mean the party atmosphere, the music crap , the encouragement of drunken sailor patrons , the shotgun start and the short duration.  

For some reason the fans of LIV can’t believe this.  But it’s the truth.  If they stopped the shenanigans , played 72 holes without a shotgun , and lost greg Norman , you’d have a lot more fans. Greg Norman is a non starter as the face.  It’s like hiring skeletor to serve ice cream on your new ice team truck.  Nobody letting their kids run out to meet that.  Claude makes no mention of any of these things.  He focuses wrongly on the Saudi connection.  When the issue is the clown world depiction of the game we love.  

As someone who will flip on LIV, but am really just a golf fan, I'd push back on a few things.  

1) His point about Tiger being the first guy who really got paid up front and guys like Scheffler, Rory, JT, etc. should be paid to show up is absolutely right.  The ARE the product and the histrionics Monahan went through when he saw big names leaving proved that.  Most of the other guys only drive some ratings if they are a cinderella story (Michael Block) or do something magical to win a round.  Literally nobody cares when a Keith Mitchell type wins.

2) Format - Week to week, I agree that the PGA format is the best for producing drama and tension as the week goes on for FANS.  For PLAYERS most of these guys are playing to qualify for majors or keep their card.  They really don't care about winning the Rocket Mortgage Classic in and of itself.  For guys who are SOLELY focussed on legacy and majors, LIV is a breath of fresh air - as Brooks said, it's like playing a round with your boys.  I'd go so far as to say it's probably the perfect setting for Rory to recharge and get back in a major groove. 

3) Love the shotgun start, but think it should only be used the first 2 days with the final round being a traditional start.  In fact, I think the PGA should adopt it for Thursday and Friday before the cut and then play a traditional start on the weekend.  It would give them way more flexibility with weather issues. 

4) Haven't heard a word from Normal in at least a month.  But if you started an ice cream truck and dressed as Skeletor, it would be a wild success.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I almost wonder if he won’t be the first reverse defector ?    

He just got 4 more years (I think vs. what his 2019 PGA win entitled him to) into the Masters and British Open, which is what he really wants/needed (already exempt for the PGA and he was in the US Open through 2028).

So why would he leave now?  To play in the regular tour events?  Or to play against the best in "real" events more often?  Doesn't seem like the former itself (need more PGAT wins) would do it.  Perhaps it's the latter or he thinks to be remembered as one of the best you need to be associated with the real deal (or not associated with any derogatory term we can all come up with)?

I think he's probably OK where he is, and the public perception of him and his accomplishments seem to have become more positive in the last few days (just going by media coverage and comments here).

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 6:21 PM, soap1984 said:

Mediocre how? Every week they play you get the best players playing. You can't hold liv to a standard you don't hold the tour to...most tour events are completely unwatchable so I don't really get how you could say it's inferior on average. 

Who are the best Players? Westwood, McDowell, Chase Koepka alot more of that quality than Brooks and C. Smith....You think Brooks not being picked for the Ryder Cup would bother him? I think he is more concerned with getting a reality show like Keeping up with the Koepka's, his wife seems to be that type

Edited by freeze16172002
  • Like 3

Question about relegation. 

Is there someplace or someone that is tracking which LIV players are facing relegation as we head into the halfway point in the season?  It's hard to understand who is on the chopping block since I don't know who has a contract and who are the unsigned players.

My understanding is that the bottom 24 are facing the axe but there are a bunch of captains and stuff in that lower tier. Is the bottom 24 shuffled to include anyone without a contract or is it strictly just the worst of LIV? 

If anything I'd think LIV would be promoting this similarly to how we watch the cut line at PGAT events.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

LIV Golf, not the “Saudi League.”

Nobody to wants to return to the PGAT. Folks want a fair and equitable shot to qualify for the majors. 

There is a path to the majors. They all knew what it would entail when they left to go to LIV. Maybe they'll get OWGR points eventually. Right now there's really 3 groups in LIV when it comes to majors - the top few that have already won a major and will be exempt for several years. Then there's the group at the bottom, guys that really have no shot regardless of what tour they are on. And finally the middle, guys like Gooch, Niemann, Varner etc that are capable but would need to get ranking points. As mentioned, there is a path to the Opens, and Sergio just made it that way. For the PGA and Masters, well....it would have been easier to get there on the PGA Tour but they chose the guaranteed $$ instead and seems to me a fair trade-off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, King_Slender said:

2) Format - Week to week, I agree that the PGA format is the best for producing drama and tension as the week goes on for FANS.  For PLAYERS most of these guys are playing to qualify for majors or keep their card.  They really don't care about winning the Rocket Mortgage Classic in and of itself.  For guys who are SOLELY focussed on legacy and majors, LIV is a breath of fresh air - as Brooks said, it's like playing a round with your boys.  I'd go so far as to say it's probably the perfect setting for Rory to recharge and get back in a major groove. 

3) Love the shotgun start, but think it should only be used the first 2 days with the final round being a traditional start.  In fact, I think the PGA should adopt it for Thursday and Friday before the cut and then play a traditional start on the weekend.  It would give them way more flexibility with weather issues. 

2) I get that. But guess what? I (and most of the folks on here) are FANS, not PLAYERS. I care about the viewing experience. Professional golf is an entertainment product. Products are produced to sell to consumers, in this case broadcasts which drive TV ad revenues. If LIV is better for the players but a worse viewing experience for the fans, it will and should fail, because the viewing experience for the fans is the product that drives the $$$. 

3) I agree. I've said multiple times that I wouldn't be opposed to the PGAT going shotgun start for Thurs/Fri. Due to large fields I think it's untenable from a logistical standpoint, as you'd still need multiple waves and a draw, and in the biggest of fields you might need 3 waves which I can't really make out how that would work. But I agree that for PGAT, Sat/Sun should be traditional start, and that the final LIV round as well. The reason that the PGAT has done the traditional reverse order of standings start is because it makes for good TV product to have the leaders chasing each other on holes 1-18. It was something that was not necessary to change, and didn't IMHO improve the product. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, King_Slender said:

... For guys who are SOLELY focussed on legacy and majors, LIV is a breath of fresh air - as Brooks said, it's like playing a round with your boys.  I'd go so far as to say it's probably the perfect setting for Rory to recharge and get back in a major groove. 

The above makes LIV's goal of "Team Golf" less viable.     For Brooks, the Majors are far more important than his team.  He didn't wear his Teams logos at either The Masters or the PGA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdl said:

There is a path to the majors. They all knew what it would entail when they left to go to LIV. Maybe they'll get OWGR points eventually. Right now there's really 3 groups in LIV when it comes to majors - the top few that have already won a major and will be exempt for several years. Then there's the group at the bottom, guys that really have no shot regardless of what tour they are on. And finally the middle, guys like Gooch, Niemann, Varner etc that are capable but would need to get ranking points. As mentioned, there is a path to the Opens, and Sergio just made it that way. For the PGA and Masters, well....it would have been easier to get there on the PGA Tour but they chose the guaranteed $$ instead and seems to me a fair trade-off.

At this point it’s safe to say the players that matter are unanimous in that the OWGR results are not accurate. The system changed, and all everyone wants   Are accurate rankings. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

1. I'll give you that.

2. Try again, Trump courses are world class.

3. They're Professionals they care, they perform or lose their status.

4. Perez had a Tour card forever just like JJ Spain and Luke Donald do now.

Maybe the requirements need to be tweaked.....

2. Orange County National

3. Pat Perez last year lol

3 hours ago, King_Slender said:

As someone who will flip on LIV, but am really just a golf fan, I'd push back on a few things.  

1) His point about Tiger being the first guy who really got paid up front and guys like Scheffler, Rory, JT, etc. should be paid to show up is absolutely right.  The ARE the product and the histrionics Monahan went through when he saw big names leaving proved that.  Most of the other guys only drive some ratings if they are a cinderella story (Michael Block) or do something magical to win a round.  Literally nobody cares when a Keith Mitchell type wins.

4) Haven't heard a word from Normal in at least a month.  But if you started an ice cream truck and dressed as Skeletor, it would be a wild success.

Lol. On the last part.  I enjoy that type humor. You're probably right.  Kids would probably love Skeletor ( they all run off now to google who the Heck I’m taking about 😂)

but Greg. He just gives off the slimiest  vibe possible.  You just know you can’t be in favor of whether he’s selling.  

disagree of course on the rest.  The “ round with your bros” look is exactly why I hate it.  It’s a slippery slope to simpleton-ville.  Competition should be the product.  Not a soap opera.  I get that the big names draw fans.  But what I don’t get is why they think they need tiger money ?  They don’t draw tiger fans.  

the market will self correct if a tiger second coming happens.  That guy can get tiger money.  

• Like 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, agolf1 said:

He just got 4 more years (I think vs. what his 2019 PGA win entitled him to) into the Masters and British Open, which is what he really wants/needed (already exempt for the PGA and he was in the US Open through 2028).

So why would he leave now?  To play in the regular tour events?  Or to play against the best in "real" events more often?  Doesn't seem like the former itself (need more PGAT wins) would do it.  Perhaps it's the latter or he thinks to be remembered as one of the best you need to be associated with the real deal (or not associated with any derogatory term we can all come up with)?

I think he's probably OK where he is, and the public perception of him and his accomplishments seem to have become more positive in the last few days (just going by media coverage and comments here).

It wi depend on how much his words are worth.   He touts caring about “ legacy “ and of course highlights majors.  Playing on the best tour against the best players is the only way.  Yes. He can continue to win majors.  But his other stats are now retired.  So going forward we will know for sure if he values money or legacy the most.  I’m not even judging that decision.  I’m just saying he’s having to make one. It can’t be both.  

I wouldn’t doubt that the tour wouldn’t pay some back door money to a Brooks or DJ to flip back.  Because it will only take one big domino to fall to make future flips toward LIV an almost non starter - No!  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)