Are the days of good deals on used clubs over?

DoughBack18

Used club prices will drop once this latest golf craze ends.  Golf has always been like this.  A few years ago, courses were closing and many in financial trouble because the people who picked up the game due to Tiger quit playing for a myriad of reasons mostly cost, time and not improving.  Same will happen now.  Once a lot of people leave golf again in a couple of years or so, used club prices will crater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dekez said:

Pretty much everyone who tries to sell on GolfWrx Classifieds.

"Priced to move" "Quick sale" => Proceeds to list it 20% over used market value. 

Edited by coreyhr
  • Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

1 hour ago, coreyhr said:

"Priced to move" "Quick sale" => Proceeds to list it 20% over used market value. 

The flip side of that is lowballers and WTB, which should be renamed "Want For Free".  

eBay sold listing prices do a pretty good job establishing what the market value is for a given item.  Lowballers still offer 50% less than that.

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Callaway Pre-Owned is very good as has been mentioned. And their quality is usually better than advertised

Also you can just buy PXG 0211 line which is very inexpensive , and good quality

Callaway Preowned is fantastic. I bought a Rogue ST TD driver about a month or two ago for $220. It arrived to my house still in the plastic. Just bought a Rogue ST Pro Hybrid for $102 in “Very Good” condition. It’s a great site. Wish all the other OEMs would set up something similar (PXG does have their eBay store). 

Edited by ilikegolf26

Finding "steals" is an information asymmetry problem. It's usually caused by a seller not being able to know the actual market price for an item, and listing it in a place obscure enough that you can stumble upon it. I.e. a local craigslist, a local Facebook for sale group, a garage sale (obv not "listed" there), etc. 

eBay and 2nd Swing are national marketplaces where you can get a general idea before listing of what the market price is for an item. So there is no information asymmetry there between the buyer and the seller, because the seller sees what similar items have actually gone for in the past. 

And for that first group (sellers w/o info), there are people who constantly search for arbitrage opportunities in those more obscure selling forums. I look in my own neighborhood when walking the dog on weekends and there are certain houses that I see have garage sales every 6 weeks or so. For these people I think there's a whole side hustle of going around to garage sales of people just trying to unload their crap for cheap to get rid of it, and they spend a month scouring all those houses for something sold under market, and then resell it at market when they host their own sales. I'm sure those same people, if they find a REAL steal locally, are reselling eBay rather than via their driveway. 

So yeah, finding steals is really hard. But I don't think it's a COVID problem (although clearly that has caused demand in general to rise, which pushes prices up overall). It's an information problem--as a buyer you're upset that sellers have access to it, so they're not letting things go for WAY less than they should.  

• Like 4

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

With new sets now at what, for premium OEMs, $1300 for 7 clubs....naturally good used clubs will increase as well....that said, hard to beat Callaway PreOwned sales, I 'stole' a few clubs I feel....meaning, $270 retail, LikeNew CPO, $110 on sale.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

The golf boom since Covid has hurt the used market more than anything else. Not only did it take away the used club market, it has increased club memberships a lot here in Florida.

My old club was 750.00 to join and 300/month. They now are asking 10k to join and the monthly has gone way up. The reality is they don't really need or want new members.  They are just about maxed out and members now are fighting for teetimes. 

My current club is putting over 3mil into the club and both courses this year. Our rates will be going up soon as well and I'm sure so will the initiation fees. We used to be able to book our Sunday morning tee times a few days out. Now we book after our round on Sunday for the following Sunday just to ensure we get off by 8am. 

I'm not sure the used market will ever be what it used to be. 

3 minutes ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

With new sets now at what, for premium OEMs, $1300 for 7 clubs....naturally good used clubs will increase as well....that said, hard to beat Callaway PreOwned sales, I 'stole' a few clubs I feel....meaning, $270 retail, LikeNew CPO, $110 on sale.

Simple supply and demand. A lot more folks playing golf these days means increased prices across the board.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Finding "steals" is an information asymmetry problem. It's usually caused by a seller not being able to know the actual market price for an item, and listing it in a place obscure enough that you can stumble upon it. I.e. a local craigslist, a local Facebook for sale group, a garage sale (obv not "listed" there), etc. 

eBay and 2nd Swing are national marketplaces where you can get a general idea before listing of what the market price is for an item. So there is no information asymmetry there between the buyer and the seller, because the seller sees what similar items have actually gone for in the past. 

And for that first group (sellers w/o info), there are people who constantly search for arbitrage opportunities in those more obscure selling forums. I look in my own neighborhood when walking the dog on weekends and there are certain houses that I see have garage sales every 6 weeks or so. For these people I think there's a whole side hustle of going around to garage sales of people just trying to unload their crap for cheap to get rid of it, and they spend a month scouring all those houses for something sold under market, and then resell it at market when they host their own sales. I'm sure those same people, if they find a REAL steal locally, are reselling eBay rather than via their driveway. 

So yeah, finding steals is really hard. But I don't think it's a COVID problem (although clearly that has caused demand in general to rise, which pushes prices up overall). It's an information problem--as a buyer you're upset that sellers have access to it, so they're not letting things go for WAY less than they should.  

Yeah this is huge. And like many have brought up with their own experiences, the steals are still out there, you just have to be lightning fast to pull the trigger when you see one.

I almost bought a used TSR3 on rockbottom when they were running a 25% off sale a couple weeks ago. With the markdown, it was a "like new" TSR3 for $400. Still a high price, but it's a major markdown on what is essentially a brand new club.

I also try to remind myself that I can't expect to make out like a bandit each and every time I'm in the market to buy a club. I've gotten my fair share of steals throughout my buying lifetime, but they're few and far between. And anytime I do, I try to remember to "pay it forward" the next time I list a club for sale. Especially here! Life's too short to try to squeeze blood out of every stone.

1 hour ago, dwboston said:

The flip side of that is lowballers and WTB, which should be renamed "Want For Free".  

eBay sold listing prices do a pretty good job establishing what the market value is for a given item.  Lowballers still offer 50% less than that.

Yep. It definitely goes both ways. I've actually had much more luck selling on eBay lately because of the laughable low ball offers on here. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

9 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

Yep. It definitely goes both ways. I've actually had much more luck selling on eBay lately because of the laughable low ball offers on here. 

Same here.  Had a few items listed here recently (also listed on eBay) - all priced at market.  Two of them sold here, 5 sold on eBay. 

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

49 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Simple supply and demand. A lot more folks playing golf these days means increased prices across the board.

Correct, however a 60% discount off MSRP is a relative 'steal' in today's market, at least I think so

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

$210 for my Srixon Z-965/Z-765 Combo set. The 8 iron had a fair amount of wear on the face, but they played just fine. I was looking for a cheap set to get refinished in black, and they were perfect. Similar sets were listed for $400-$500, but in a little better shape.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 50 A
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I think a LOT of consumers have gotten better informed regarding all the "magical technological advancements" in equipment. They've caught on to the OEM's BS claims of every new model is longer and more forgiving than the last. 

If you're driver is more than three years old you MIGHT see a jump in performance and as for irons, five years perhaps. But if you've got a set that works? No reason to change. 

To me its one of the reasons that used prices are higher than in the past. Because the sales of new is down the supply on the used side is way down. For example. Check for a set of say Ping G410 irons. A year after they were released i'd see tons for sale on the Bay. Not now and the same for G425's. 

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

Ping G425's 5 iron thru UW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

Golf is more popular than it was before so generally prices will go up. 

Also 2nd swing is absolutely terrible with pricing. Get excited seeing a set of 730s pop up only to see they have the largest rust spots I’ve ever seen and listed at 800 bucks. 

• Like 2

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

PXG 0317 X (18*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (3-4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

My .02- almost all the clubs in my bag have been purchased from Callaway Pre-Owned. Some great deals there even on other brands. 

I’ve also gotten into collecting older golf sets. For $60 I’ve recently picked up a 4-SW set of Titleist DCI black irons in great condition (building out a 90s bag).

I also see deals on used clubs on Facebook marketplace all the time. Now if you’re talking about retail used deals well, I think YMMV

2 hours ago, njmack said:

For these people I think there's a whole side hustle of going around to garage sales of people just trying to unload their crap for cheap to get rid of it, and they spend a month scouring all those houses for something sold under market, and then resell it at market when they host their own sales.

Hope those folks keep track of their hours of labor going to garage sales and setting up their own on a regular basis.  Even at minimum wage they are probably losing money.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Definitely can be frustrating to find good used clubs these days.  You may find a decent used club on eBay but then shipping is like 2/3 the price of the club.  Kijiji is a struggle too in my area.  Guys will ask like $900 for AP2s from 10 years ago.

Ping G410 Plus Driver 10.5 - Tour 65 S
Ping G410 17.5 (set at 16.5) - Tour 75 S 

Ping G410 22 Hybrid (set at 20.5) - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue HY 80 S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Nippon Modus 3 120 S
TaylorMade MG3 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Titleist ProV1

15 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

And the problem is that seems to establish the market so everyone else follows suit. About the only decent deals i’ve found recently are though global golf when they are trying to clear inventory. 

The golf OEMs are doing what the farm implement people started doing back in the pre-2000s: enter more into trade-ins and thus have more control over the resale market.

Also, circa 2015, Callaway made a move that gave it better control of product availability. Callaway went from push marketing to pull marketing. In the old push scheme, the OEM would plan to market WonderIron A in 2016 and schedule WonderIron B in 2018. If WI-A is still abundant in 2018, no worry, the OEM would discount remaining sets and push WI-B onto the market.

Under pull, the OEM waits for conditions that would naturally pull WI-B onto the market. It WI-A is lingering but selling, delay WI-B entry onto market. But if WI-A is selling out fast, let market forces pull WI-B onto the market a few months early.

This is what happened to me in late summer 2019 when I decided to get fit for Rogue Pro irons. It was year 2 of their run, and I wanted to get a set before the December changeover. But, I was out of luck. Callaway notified everyone that the Rogue Pros were on backorder, and I could only get intact sets still in the supply chain. Rogues went off market six months early.

This pull move also means it's riskier than 10 years ago to test out iron set A in January 2012 expo, and hope to pick it up on first price cut in summer 2013. You may find yourself out of luck.

This especially shows up in the Callaway wedge area. When the MD4 model was cycling out of production, the only presence in the wintertime clearance and Spring expos was lob wedges. A couple dozen LWs of all types. For GW and SWs, maybe a half-dozen total, except for some used items with grooves that had already seen 120 rounds of play.

(Note: This has been the pattern in the Missouri region the past couple of years. It may vary with other brands and models in other areas.)

The indiscriminate use of the old push model, plus supply chain delays, was what crippled the TaylorMade brand back in 2014.

On a happy note: At the recent St. Louis Golf Expo, I got slightly used SeeMore FGP putter - with a spotless SuperStroke upgrade grip - for $79. Last year, the price for a new one was $179. Sometimes we get lucky... 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I suppose it depends. I've still sniped some crazy deals off eBay. Got a few barely used Vokey wedges for 35 and 50 dollars just because they are a few generations old. I got my X Forged CB set off Facebook Marketplace for half price of new from a local club hoe who needed to move them and had only played them like 6 rounds. 

On the flipside I also do see the crazy beat clubs on eBay that people are trying to sell for half of what they paid, I just roll my eyes and move on. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

I walked out of a Golf Mart in the spring of 2021 with a mildly used Z785 driver for $110. Fast forward to now and the same golf mart doesn't have a driver in the used bucket for less than $125, and they want things like $150-175 for an R15.

But that's just how it goes now. A dollar today would be worth 87¢ in 2020, and we have to adjust to a new Paradym. That said, a lot of quality irons from the 90's and even early 2000's are starting to appear in thrift shops (Got a full set of Wilson FG-51'S for $20. SLDR driver for $10, Speedblade iron set 4- AW for $25), and used equipment stores like the local play-it-again will often cut a steep discount if you aren't looking for Cally/TM/Titleist. (Like my Srixon driver above)

The deals are still out there, you just need to do more work to find them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neilvice said:

Just spent $32 to send clubs from New Orleans to New Hampshire. Ouch. 

Have you checked out Pirate Ship?  If you're just going to the post office and paying to ship a box at the price they're telling you, you're getting ripped off.

• Like 1

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"