2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Handicap down to 7, ditch the GI irons?

ThreePuttForPar

The first time I shot lower than 70 on my home track was a 68 in a men's club tournament. Par is 72.

I thought I was too good to play the irons in my bag. They were super game improvement irons. I'm a player now!

I bought all different clubs within the month. I was playing my first set of Callaway X-14 irons that day.

I'm back to playing those irons now.

Practice your 150 and in clubs at the range if you want to get better. Try all different shots with those clubs, and get comfortable with that short club swing.

It could be that your irons are too light. You didn't mention anything about your game or swing or club speed other than handicap. Those T300 stock shafts are pretty light if you bought them with the AMT Red shafts.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ThreePuttForPar said:

It is funny to think that I want to ditch the equipment that got my scores down the minute they do. I think the goal is that i would in fact like to be a better ball striker. I’m not overly concerned with scoring as much as enjoying shots. Right now my game is more bomb and gouge. I’d really like to add some more finesse. Identifying the goal is a lot of what I needed to do, all of the feedback here is helping me to realize what exactly it is I’m searching for.

Here's what I did.  Kept my T300 irons, but picked up T100 irons in 7 through PW (actually 2014 AP2).  Mixed set.  They were more fun, when I was playing well, and younger.

This year, I'm going to augment my Ping G425 5-hybrid with a 7-hybrid, maybe a 6-hybrid.  Then pick up some G425 7-irons, one with graphite R and the other with graphite SR.  Fool with them for a few months until I figure out which shaft I want to play in the 8 and 9-iron.  Stick with my AP2 PW and Vokey TDK 54*.

• Like 4
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

My local golf shop has old fitting irons for like $30 a pop.  I've bought a few to "try on" over the years as I've moved around from different types of irons.  I've found it helpful.  I don't bag my bladed 4 iron currently, but I still bring it to the range.  It's nice to use to work on my ball striking. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Play whatever you hit the best and/or enjoy the most. Everyone here has different goals and preferences. There's 20 hdcp that play blades, and scratch golfers that play GI irons. Decide what's most important to you and find irons that match that, regardless of what "category" those irons fall into.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ThreePuttForPar said:

It is funny to think that I want to ditch the equipment that got my scores down the minute they do. I think the goal is that i would in fact like to be a better ball striker. I’m not overly concerned with scoring as much as enjoying shots. Right now my game is more bomb and gouge. I’d really like to add some more finesse. Identifying the goal is a lot of what I needed to do, all of the feedback here is helping me to realize what exactly it is I’m searching for.

Why is this thread making me feel like a stereotypical shallow dude. My kind of fat, not the prettiest or best feeling Ping Gs have been doing everything I want them to for years. Week in and week out. Then, I get all fancy in the single digits and am quick to ditch the loyal and really good irons for a slimmer, prettier, newer (aka younger), nicer feeling ones just because I can. And, I’ve been showing off the new irons like arm candy too. Haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Similar to what @gvogel says, just get the 100S PW and 9 iron with the same shaft and other configuration you already have. Playing those should tell you everything you need to know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

18 hours ago, ThreePuttForPar said:

Yeah ,probably mostly vanity if I’m honest. Not really looking for distance. I replied to someone else, I like the idea of heavier and smaller for the range sessions to really work on slowing down tempo and focusing on strike. Not sure if that worth over $1k

A LOT of golfers have gone down the path of feeling like they've outgrown their GI clubs when they get better and decide they should ditch the cute girl who got them there for someone sleeker and hotter.  But agree with the comments above that you want to fill a specific shortcoming you have with them.  Some golfers want to upgrade because they find it's harder for them to flight or work the ball with their old clubs.  (That hard par 3 on your home course that plays into the wind would be much easier with a flighted 7-iron, but your GI clubs launch really high). 

Where many of us have gone wrong is just thinking we need something more 'playerish'  to reflect the status of our game. There are guys better than you who happily play T-300s.  Heck, a lot of best golfers in my men's league player older iron sets and GI clubs. They make their hay with robotic accuracy off the tee and a deadly game inside 100 yards and on the green.

But I know what it's like to want to scratch that itch. It's hard to break new club fever.

• Like 4

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

My 2 best seasons ever playing golf were with blades and G15 irons

I'm not sure it really matters but you should play what you're comfortable and like looking down at

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

33 minutes ago, mantan said:

A LOT of golfers have gone down the path of feeling like they've outgrown their GI clubs when they get better and decide they should ditch the cute girl who got them there for someone sleeker and hotter.  But agree with the comments above that you want to fill a specific shortcoming you have with them.  Some golfers want to upgrade because they find it's harder for them to flight or work the ball with their old clubs.  (That hard par 3 on your home course that plays into the wind would be much easier with a flighted 7-iron, but your GI clubs launch really high). 

Where many of us have gone wrong is just thinking we need something more 'playerish'  to reflect the status of our game. There are guys better than you who happily play T-300s.  Heck, a lot of best golfers in my men's league player older iron sets and GI clubs. They make their hay with robotic accuracy off the tee and a deadly game inside 100 yards and on the green.

But I know what it's like to want to scratch that itch. It's hard to break new club fever.

The itch! It itches! 🤣

Driver Ping G430 (9*)

5w Ping G430 max 

4h  Ping G425max (22*)

5-G Titleist t300 (2022)

54* Vokey SM9 S grind

58* Vokey SM9 M grind

Cleveland Smart Sole 3   

Cameron Newport 2 plus

If your handicap continues to drop with the G.I. irons, stick with them and enjoy the ride. On the other hand, if you’ve gotten to a point where you’re handicap has stalled and you think it could go lower with some changes then I'd start looking to see why, and if you feel the G.I. irons are what’s holding you back then consider changing. 

Edited by Phebus
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, lopey986 said:

If you like the t300 and you're playing well with them but still want to get more workability why not just bump to the t200? Keep the same shaft setup with a slightly more compact head with a bit more workability and be on your way.

+1.  And Keep the old irons, just in case.  Nothing wrong with having a spare/old set around.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

IMO yes. There's a thread here on wrx about iron gear effect, and the theoretical amounts possible due to iron design. GI irons mathematical show they are more prone to vertical gearing than players irons, which to me is critical for distance control.

As a 7, you can easily play T100's etc unless you really need more distance. They are mathematically shown to be very neutral with respect to spin and strike location. Therefore they are more consistent in the long run and should help you score better. 

5 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

IMO yes. There's a thread here on wrx about iron gear effect, and the theoretical amounts possible due to iron design. GI irons mathematical show they are more prone to vertical gearing than players irons, which to me is critical for distance control.

As a 7, you can easily play T100's etc unless you really need more distance. They are mathematically shown to be very neutral with respect to spin and strike location. Therefore they are more consistent in the long run and should help you score better. 

My T300’s go high. Real high. It’s a real issue when the wind is up. Especially the shorter irons, but my dispersion issues are definitely more left to right and less front to back in normal conditions. 

I definitely feel that there is something to be gained from a more controlled height. How much would be gained, and whether my front to back dispersion will suffer with more playerish irons, I guess is what needs to be tested…

• Like 1

Driver Ping G430 (9*)

5w Ping G430 max 

4h  Ping G425max (22*)

5-G Titleist t300 (2022)

54* Vokey SM9 S grind

58* Vokey SM9 M grind

Cleveland Smart Sole 3   

Cameron Newport 2 plus

19 minutes ago, ThreePuttForPar said:

I really appreciate all of the responses. I’m now thinking that the best idea would be to keep gaming these until I feel they are holding me back (which they are not), not just change because my handicap now “fits” into a certain category.

Meanwhile, there is no harm in picking up a couple of individual more “playerish irons” and begin to experiment on the range.

You guys have all been so thoughtful in the responses. Thank you so much.

The best way to do it would be to add Arccos sensors to your clubs, play 3-5 rounds on the same course. Then use the sensors on some players clubs and repeat the same 3-5 rounds there. Compare the sg18 approach metric. That will tell you if you'll benefit or not. 

Make sure the shafts and ball you use are the same. Bit of a cumbersome task but it's going to be the best way to look at it with the most variables controlled. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:49 AM, blarkin97 said:

I forgot how good the G's feel for GI irons so I would be shocked to have something feel better that performs the same

On 2/28/2023 at 9:53 AM, ECgolf said:

Zx4 feel way better to me. Too early for me to say on performance yet other than definitely less spin on longer irons if that is an issue for you. 

I agree with EC, so this is the crazy thing about feel, I guess.  I purchased the G's brand new when they came out and quickly moved on due to their feel.  The Gs were the first of many G-lines to follow that took a step back in feel with their core-eye technology.  Just my humble opinion.  

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Playing off 7? Clearly time to move into the world of blades 🙂

I of course kid.

You should have been in blades a long time ago 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Like others have said, I would do a fitting and see. I know plenty of good players that have stayed in game improvement irons because they are the best performers for them.

Also all 7 handicapers are not created equal. If ball striking is a strong point maybe a players iron or maybe even blades might be best for you. If ball striking is a weak point then maybe you need to stay in game improvement irons. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MattMo said:

I agree with EC, so this is the crazy thing about feel, I guess.  I purchased the G's brand new when they came out and quickly moved on due to their feel.  The Gs were the first of many G-lines to follow that took a step back in feel with their core-eye technology.  Just my humble opinion.  

That is not the first time I've heard this.  I am looking into a G30 set or G25 set as well but I'm not paying $500 for a used set of 10 year old irons.  Maybe that's just me? 🤷‍♂️

Waiting for the right deal to test the difference.  Or the right fitting to test Srixon

Edited by blarkin97

2 hours ago, blarkin97 said:

That is not the first time I've heard this.  I am looking into a G30 set or G25 set as well but I'm not paying $500 for a used set of 10 year old irons.  Maybe that's just me? 🤷‍♂️

Waiting for the right deal to test the difference.  Or the right fitting to test Srixon

The Srizon 585s are the first non-Ping irons I've had in the bag for 25+ years and if you're good with the V-sole, Srixons are great irons!  $500 seems steep for some G25/30s, maybe I'm just out of touch with the recent used iron market.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

There is no law saying you have to play with irons that are commensurate to your handicap.  Some of the best players in the world won tour events using GI and even SGI irons.  Lee Westwood played and won tour events with his Ping Zing 2s, Monty was at his best with his 90s Bertha Irons and Annika was killing the field with her X14s (she scored a 59 with them I believe).  When my scores got into the 70s I play with my 990s strictly because of feel, not workability since any iron can do that in the hands of a skilled player.

If you want to play with Player's CB irons or even blades go right ahead.  If you want to play with GI or SGI irons, go right ahead.  Either way, your scorecard can't tell the difference nor does it even care.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have never played "players" irons and have hovered around 2-3 handicap for a while now.  I was using Mizuno MX-200's for 12 years and then recently went into Mizuno Hot Metal Pro's that I was fitted into.  Fitting helped a lot with my dispersion by getting the right shaft.

Unless your ball striking is exceptional I just see too many downsides to playing something like a blade - I can hit my HMP's all over the face and get pretty good results and that saves me shots in the round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, ThreePuttForPar said:

Hi all,

Played a lot of golf when I was in my 20’s. Not so much in my 30’s. Now I’m 40 I got the bug again about 6 mo ago.

When I got the bug again I went through a few sets and settled on Titleist T300. 

Started back shooting high 80’s- mid 90’s, depending on the course, but have got back to breaking 80 once in a while on easier courses. 

I have been loving t300’s forgiveness and distance, especially when first getting back into it. But now that I’m finding the face more often again. I’m really contemplating something more like a Srixon ZX5/7, Miz 225 or Jpx pro, P770/p790, i525…

I’ve also never been custom fit, ever, in 25 years of golf. I’ve always just used the 90 return policy at my local Roger Dunn golf shop to “fit myself” by keep swapping clubs till I get something I like.

Anyone else blow the dust off their game with GI irons and then move back to mid-playerish irons?

Did you see any benefits other than feel?

Do custom  fits really make that big of a difference if you live near a shop where you can just keep trying all the different off the rack sets?

Is this more of an ego issue in an attempt to recapture my youth? 🤣🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Would love to hear experiences or feedback. Thank y’all!

They got you to a 7, why stop using them now?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

No way, but only if they’re hurting your game, then maybe. I know lots of good players in GI and SGI stuff. 

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

9 hours ago, ThreePuttForPar said:

I really appreciate all of the responses. I’m now thinking that the best idea would be to keep gaming these until I feel they are holding me back (which they are not), not just change because my handicap now “fits” into a certain category.

Meanwhile, there is no harm in picking up a couple of individual more “playerish irons” and begin to experiment on the range.

You guys have all been so thoughtful in the responses. Thank you so much.

You're spending a bunch of time focusing on clubhead. You should be spending most of the time focusing on shaft. Find a shaft that has the appropriate weight, flex, and feel for you. The right clubhead on the wrong shaft will be terrible for you. And if you have the right shaft, it's unlikely you'll have too much trouble hitting any clubhead hanging off the end of it. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip