2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you let a single pass when course is full??

16 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I'd say that the consensus here (with which I agree) is that there's no reason to let a single through on a packed course. There's nowhere to go, so you're just swapping places in line. 

However for OP, if this guy was being a real pill about it, and visibly rushing your group, your playing partners may have also been right to just let him through so he's someone else's problem. In the grand scheme of things, I know that's just enabling bad behavior, but it's not your job to enforce the rules of etiquette if having this guy breaking down your neck is ruining your round otherwise. 

I'm wondering, though, what kind of courses are allowing singles to go out on busy days? Every single course around here has online booking, and tee sheets are full of foursomes from sunup to closing time. You can try to book "as a single", i.e. taking one of the four slots up for a tee time, but you're going to have three other players on the first tee with you because they booked the other slots. 

Unfortunately I've wound up playing as a single on a packed course due to no-shows. Don't know why a threesome books a tee time, and then fails to show. It's happened more times that it should. With a packed tee sheet, there was no place for me to slot in, so after a brief discussion with the starter, I head out as a single. A handful of times there was a twosome or threesome ready to go, so the starter moved them up. However, it doesn't always work out so nicely.

I generally try to inform the group ahead that I'll be following them, and try to play as slow as I can given that there's no place to go. Most groups appreciated the heads up. A couple of times the group let me play through, which I understand. Not everyone is comfortable with a single on their tail, regardless of the pace.

Personally, if I'm in a group with a single behind us I vote to let them play through. 'Just don't like having a faster group on my tail. I'd rather be waiting on them.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 5/1/2023 at 4:55 PM, klebs01 said:

I agree with @mshills.  I don’t really get the concept of being pushed. If it’s open in front let the group go through. If I’m in position and the course is full, then I don’t pay any attention to anything behind me. I don’t think I’ve ever felt pushed on a course. 

I'm with you there but do play with a couple of guys who start getting pretty tense about it, they start rushing, getting flustered etc and then it's hard to ignore. Have had that happen sometimes when we're a foursome with a twosome or threesome behind us. They are going to play faster usually and I explain that to my pals but they just get worked up.

Happened a lot during covid when we'd walk but a lot of groups were riding with 1 person per cart. Those groups could really move...

Edited by jdl

On 4/28/2023 at 8:47 PM, Clifford said:

Opening day of golf. Course is busy, We are behind groups of fousomes as far as i can see. A single pulls up right behind us for a couple holes. Like right behind us. Couple of our group dont like this pushy guy behind them so they let the guy pass after 8 holes. I was not happy they did. We were not slow, we were right on pace for 4 hrs. Was i wrong in not wanting to let the guy pass? After that our pace was slow. We waited some every hole. The single did pass the group ahead of us a few holes later as well but the back nine took 2 1/2 hrs and the front took 2 hrs before we let him pass. It seemed he slowed down the whole course. Also the course should not of allowed a single to go as a single when course is booked solid...

The one thing you didn’t mention was if your group was waiting on the front. You said you were on a 4 hour pace but were you waiting on the group in front of you?  Your post made it sound like you were not waiting on the front but did some on the back. If you were behind on the front I’d let him through.  If you were waiting then no.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Nope, not letting him through.  He can join up (if we're 3 or less) or get comfortable waiting all day.  I'm also the guy on the highway that won't let you in when you try to pass me from the right lane if there's no discernible gap in front of me. 

In either situation, to allow them to pass simply reinforces the behavior/expectation that they should be allowed to.  I'm on a mission to civilize like Will McAvoy.

Nope not letting him play through.  I play as a single often and yeah when the course is slow and I catch up to a group that has some distance between them and the next group I expect that they offer to let me play through but never if the course is busy.  I don't have a right to make others wait so I can speed through a round.  You want a speed round then you got to be one of the first groups off or come during a known time where it is less busy. 

• Like 1

I am that single, I appreciate when people let me through but I don’t expect it.  And I get annoyed if I can clearly play through because they are slow.  

based on OP, I would have 0 expectations on a full course, it is what it is. I keep pace, and I expect everyone else too as well, all you can ask for really.

3 of the 4 days a week I play, I play alone, walking.  I much prefer playing all by myself. 

That said, if the course is full (I go home!! but that's another story) I'll not push a group in front of me and no way do I expect to be waived through.  And if I was waived through I'd probably politely decline, as there is nowhere to go anyways.  Any single on a full day should not be pushing and expecting to be waved through.  

If I'm playing that 1 day a week and get pushed from behind by a single or a 2some, our group will have a discussion about the situation.   Most of the time, we don't want to be pushed and I hate people waiting all day behind us, so we'll let them through.  If it's a 3some or a 4some then it does not bother us as much because they probably won't be pushing/waiting as much. 

But to hear people here adamantly refuse to allow anyone in these situations to play through just rubs me the wrong way.  Guess I'm way too nice.       

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 596 said:

3 of the 4 days a week I play, I play alone, walking.  I much prefer playing all by myself. 

That said, if the course is full (I go home!! but that's another story) I'll not push a group in front of me and no way do I expect to be waived through.  And if I was waived through I'd probably politely decline, as there is nowhere to go anyways.  Any single on a full day should not be pushing and expecting to be waved through.  

If I'm playing that 1 day a week and get pushed from behind by a single or a 2some, our group will have a discussion about the situation.   Most of the time, we don't want to be pushed and I hate people waiting all day behind us, so we'll let them through.  If it's a 3some or a 4some then it does not bother us as much because they probably won't be pushing/waiting as much. 

But to hear people here adamantly refuse to allow anyone in these situations to play through just rubs me the wrong way.  Guess I'm way too nice.       

pretty much my sentiments exactly. especially the last part. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

I always wonder why, when tee sheets are "full", that the course allows a single player to use up a tee time, thus giving up three spaces that could be used by other players.  Tee time intervals are predominantly based on groups of four.  I recognize that a single player is considered a "group", but don't feel that the group of one has any more rights on the course than a group of four.

Edited by rogolf

On 5/3/2023 at 6:01 PM, Shilgy said:

The one thing you didn’t mention was if your group was waiting on the front. You said you were on a 4 hour pace but were you waiting on the group in front of you?  Your post made it sound like you were not waiting on the front but did some on the back. If you were behind on the front I’d let him through.  If you were waiting then no.

yes were waiting a little on every hole on front but not much. 2 hrs is a good pace for us. Its a public course. We wont allow a single to pass if there is no place to go next time. But if we are slow or if there is room in front of us, we will let him/her/it/they blah blah blah pass

3 hours ago, rogolf said:

I always wonder why, when tee sheets are "full", that the course allows a single player to use up a tee time, thus giving up three spaces that could be used by other players.  Tee time intervals are predominantly based on groups of four.  I recognize that a single player is considered a "group", but don't feel that the group of one has any more rights on the course than a group of four.

holiday park saskatoon

On 5/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, jdl said:

Happened a lot during covid when we'd walk but a lot of groups were riding with 1 person per cart. Those groups could really move...

During the onset of Covid, I'd get to a course, and most of the tee boxes would have FOUR carts!   WTF?   Why is everything backed up?

One person per cart!   <Slap forehead!>

10 hours ago, 596 said:

If the course is full and you are in position, where are they going to go? What’s the point? Why would you feel pushed in that situation? Why would you even pay attention to anything behind you?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

If the course is full and you are in position, where are they going to go? What’s the point? Why would you feel pushed in that situation? Why would you even pay attention to anything behind you?

Where are they going? In front of me!!

What's the point?  I don't like people waiting for me!

Why feel pushed?  Because I do!

Why pay attention behind?  Because I don't like people waiting for me!

It's kind of like treating people the way I'd like to be treated.  I don't like waiting, so I don't think they do either!  I'd at least like to be asked to play through, though I'd decline, so I always ask if they want to play through.   And if they'd like, feel free.  It's just plain old common courtesy more then golf etiquette.  

• Like 1

I can’t draw the connection that it is impolite to not let any player or players behind me play through if there is nowhere to go. Think it’s a stretch to accuse me of discourtesy, but that is ok, we will agree to disagree. 

My partner canceled today. It is the first beautiful Saturday of the season here in Pittsburgh, and I have a 3:10PM tee time as a single. All the groups in front better let me play through, I need to be home before 6PM!

🤣

Obviously not, I expect to finish at sundown and I am totally cool with that. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

3 hours ago, 596 said:

Where are they going? In front of me!!

What's the point?  I don't like people waiting for me!

Why feel pushed?  Because I do!

Why pay attention behind?  Because I don't like people waiting for me!

It's kind of like treating people the way I'd like to be treated.  I don't like waiting, so I don't think they do either!  I'd at least like to be asked to play through, though I'd decline, so I always ask if they want to play through.   And if they'd like, feel free.  It's just plain old common courtesy more than I golf etiquette.  

So they go in front of you and wait on the group in front of you and you wait on them. Then the group behind you is waiting on you. Do you let them through too?

then the group behind you is waiting on you. 

Do you feel pushed whenever a group is behind you? What would it take to not feel pushed with a group behind you?

37 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

So they go in front of you and wait on the group in front of you and you wait on them. Then the group behind you is waiting on you. Do you let them through too?

Do you feel pushed whenever a group is behind you? What would it take to not feel pushed with a group behind you?

It may be in my mind, but the wait for a single to hit a single shot sure seems shorter than the wait for 4 players to hit their shots. 

• Thanks 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, klebs01 said:

We were talking about a single, not a 3/4some. If a 4some is waiting it won't be near as long a wait as if it were a single.  And then there is not much I could do, and they know it.  It is what it is. 

This thread was about singles waiting not 4somes.  Totally different situations. 

Do I feel pushed? Yes

What would it take to not? No one behind me. You can't argue how I "feel" .

This is why I don't play when it's busy. It's not hard to figure that out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 596 said:

We were talking about a single, not a 3/4some. If a 4some is waiting it won't be near as long a wait as if it were a single.  And then there is not much I could do, and they know it.  It is what it is. 

This thread was about singles waiting not 4somes.  Totally different situations. 

Do I feel pushed? Yes

What would it take to not? No one behind me. You can't argue how I "feel" .

This is why I don't play when it's busy. It's not hard to figure that out. 

this is about a single on a course stacked with foursomes. There are going to be people in front and in back. 

I can’t argue how you fell. It just doesn’t seem reasonable. 

40 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

On a full course? It’s going to be the stack of foursomes in front that are still going to dictate the singles pace. 

Sure, but it still feels faster. Waiting for a single to hit one shot and then go vs. four players hitting. 

If there's NO place to go, NO!  He can learn patience, and wait like the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Scoring Wedge 113g 
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

17 hours ago, rogolf said:

... Because as Argonne said earlier, some players just don't show up. It is a business and they don't/shouldn't turn away money, especially public courses. Amazing how simple common sense can dictate most situations. If I am a single and the course is packed, I will hit some practice shots and adjust my pacing as best I can. I do not expect to be let through and if offered I decline. If there are openings I welcome being waived through. There have been several comments about singles learning patience but in my experience most don't ask to be let through when the curse is full. Common sense. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Because as Argonne said earlier, some players just don't show up. It is a business and they don't/shouldn't turn away money, especially public courses. Amazing how simple common sense can dictate most situations. If I am a single and the course is packed, I will hit some practice shots and adjust my pacing as best I can. I do not expect to be let through and if offered I decline. If there are openings I welcome being waived through. There have been several comments about singles learning patience but in my experience most don't ask to be let through when the curse is full. Common sense. 

It's simply amazing how many courses allow "groups" to book, but don't penalize them for no show(s). Guarantees that groups book a week plus in advance, and go elsewhere. I've showed up at countless "fully booked" courses to find them basically wide open. It's especially annoying when they don't allow a single to book. Like I'm the problem??? 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It's simply amazing how many courses allow "groups" to book, but don't penalize them for no show(s). Guarantees that groups book a week plus in advance, and go elsewhere. I've showed up at countless "fully booked" courses to find them basically wide open. It's especially annoying when they don't allow a single to book. Like I'm the problem??? 

... I hear ya. Thankfully both my winter and summer courses allow singles to book. Never a problem as I book 9 days in advance and they always fill in. At Raven in summer I try to find a 2 or 3 some and join them if I don't have a partner that day, which is about 1/2 the time. Aguila doesn't penalize no shows (I wish they did) while Raven charges you up front so they don't care if you don't show since you have already paid. Needless to say no shows are pretty rare. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Re: waiting, feel isn’t real. 

Re: single booking….No big deal, I just call the course and ask if they can work me in. I can’t think of one single time the course said “sure come on out” and it not working out just fine. 

Edited by mshills

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle