what’s up with michael block?

ChipStrokes

18 hours ago, mlwenzlick said:

“You’ve been invited to play in the next X number of PGAT events, do you accept?” 

NAH I’m good, I’m gonna go back and teach lessons to 25hcp for $100/hr.

You serious bro?

That rate is about to go way down. I wouldn't pay anything to listen to his fake stories and hear him cry for an hour while he teaches me how to get worse. 

Sarcastic. But honestly what he did at PGA was awesome. He is also very fake. It is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

It’s depressing listening to all you nay sayers , do you criticize most everything and everyone you read about and see in life?  That’s a rhetorical question.  
Life and decisions about paths we decide to go on is different for everyone, doesn’t make us, or others, right or wrong. What 300 yard plus handicapper wrxer never once thought about trying to play the tour? Another rhetorical question.  

I’m playing today and will see if I can improve on yesterdays score.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, st1800e said:

It’s depressing listening to all you nay sayers , do you criticize most everything and everyone you read about and see in life?  That’s a rhetorical question.  
Life and decisions about paths we decide to go on is different for everyone, doesn’t make us, or others, right or wrong. What 300 yard plus handicapper wrxer never once thought about trying to play the tour? Another rhetorical question.  

Well said, research likely would find there’s always a greater response from moaners then supporters. Then again, it would be pretty boring site if all were just to say: “ agreed “.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st1800e said:

Not being negative.  I’m really happy Annika didn’t play at Colonial because I think she would have pipped him.  Stilll a great story last week.  He will be back.  

It's really not accurate to just label Block as another club pro. Hes an elite level golfer who for decades dominates the club pro scene. He wins everything in California and with low scores.  

I've been following him on social media for years he seems pretty damn authentic to me, not sure why people are calling him fake. He has a great family life and he has a couple sons who are damn good golfers as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's been interesting to watch all this unfold. 

Our culture/society likes to build people up, and loves even more to tear them down. 

Personally I think its a sad reflection on our society that we relish tearing people down. The same entities that really built up this individual and his story spent no time at all turning on him and tearing him down. But turning his really cool story into almost mythical status set him up for certain failure. 

There was a lot to celebrate and enjoy about the story of Michael Block and his amazing week at the PGA Championship, but he was doomed to failure with all the media madness that surrounded his story. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kthomas said:

It's been interesting to watch all this unfold. 

Our culture/society likes to build people up, and loves even more to tear them down. 

Personally I think its a sad reflection on our society that we relish tearing people down. The same entities that really built up this individual and his story spent no time at all turning on him and tearing him down. But turning his really cool story into almost mythical status set him up for certain failure. 

There was a lot to celebrate and enjoy about the story of Michael Block and his amazing week at the PGA Championship, but he was doomed to failure with all the media madness that surrounded his story. 

Good observations. But is it really the same people tearing him down as built him up? Or were the haters and envious quietly on the sidelines waiting to pounce when the inevitable occus? 

I personally love the story and enjoyed watching him play. The guy captured lightning in a bottle for 4 days on one of the toughest courses on tour and jars an HIO in front of thousands on Sunday with Rory as his playing partner. Great story still and it doesn’t get much better than that.

So he maybe displayed a little irrational exuberance in an interview, who cares? Well the haters care 🤣

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Seems like Block must have personally pissed in a lot of people's Corn Flakes or kicked their kittens. Some raging hate boners going in this thread. 

Love the comment that he's no Annika, as if even at her prime she would have been a shoo-in to shoot even at Oak Hill as Block did. 

Anyway, seems this is now more for the Block detractors to get their feels out, so have at it. 

It's envy, pure and simple, from those who never came close to their life's goals (if they even had any).

Block is 46. Wonder at what age someone is supposed to give up on their dream(s). thinking.gif

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Good observations. But is it really the same people tearing him down as built him up? Or were the haters and envious quietly on the sidelines waiting to pounce when the inevitable occus? 

I personally love the story and enjoyed watching him play. The guy captured lightning in a bottle for 4 days on one of the toughest courses on tour and jars an HIO in front of thousands on Sunday with Rory as his playing partner. Great story still and it doesn’t get much better than that.

So he maybe displayed a little irrational exuberance in an interview, who cares? Well the haters care 🤣

I'll start off by stating that I to really enjoyed watching Michael Block's success at the PGA Championship. What a story. That was the highlight of the event for me!

There was certainly always people that were solidly in one camp or the other throughout this, but my comments are mostly being applied to the media. GolfDigest is one example, going from tweeting about being "fans" of Michael Block one week to only the next week proclaim that the "Block party is over". 

I think he got over his skis a bit in some interviews - but I certainly want to give the man the benefit of the doubt. This is a brand new environment for him, and I'm sure he has little to no media training nor experience with this type of atmosphere. I think for the most part he composed himself very well, and always seemed grateful to get the opportunity to experience what he did. I'm more inclined to judge him for his graciousness and respect and kindness for others than the odd exuberant comment.  

• Like 2

Him saying he'd be one of the best golfers in the world if he was longer might be a stretch, considering how poorly he played this week. But I did enjoy watching him play in the PGA. He's a very likeable guy, so I don't get all the hate and negativity toward him. We can't really expect a club pro to be competitive day in and day out with the elite players who are out there every week. People need to cut him some slack. He's not trying to beat Rory and Scheffler. He got an invitation, and just the experience of playing in another tour event had to be a thrill for him. It's like going to an amusement park for a little kid. And he gets to do it a couple more times, it looks like. So, good for him. I'm sure we would all love to be in his shoes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Pretty good recap of the entire "Block Party" in GOLF DIGEST

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Block was a great story at the PGA. Maybe he was a little media thirsty, but you can't blame him for not saying no. The bottom line is that at being a 46-year-old club pro he doesn't have the stamina to go at the pace he was going at without combusting into flames at some point. Physically and emotionally, that guy has to be spent. Great story, maybe we will see him again, maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make a run for the Champions Tour in a few years. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

Finish Fah GIF by FoilArmsandHogthen maybe it's Time to put the spotlight on someone else haven't we have heard enough negativity. He is a nice guy who doesn't deserve so much criticism 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 5/27/2023 at 8:03 AM, One Putter said:

Turns out that people who are miserable like to spread their misery

I don't think you have to be miserable to make jokes. Something always seemed phony to me about this guy but obviously he played great at the pga and hats off to him. But he did bring some of this on himself. You couldn't expect too much of him after that week he had so it ended like many could have easily predicted. 

I get it's his ten minutes of fame but he should have laid low a bit on talking about how great he could have been, he put way too much pressure on himself. Pga tour didn't help him either, with Brooks winning this guy became the focal point of every social media post and while it was a great story for the pga championship it should have ended there so he could have gone out on top.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, soap1984 said:

I get it's his ten minutes of fame but he should have laid low a bit on talking about how great he could have been, he put way too much pressure on himself. 

Did you read his explanation of his comment that appears to have been taken out of context. Of course not. Here it is. Of course for the people that are dead set against him for whatever reason it won't matter. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/michael-block-clarifies-one-best-120547389.html

During the podcast, Block said: "He’s a lot longer than I am, that’s what it is. “What I would shoot from where Rory hits it would be stupid, I think I'd be one of the best players in the world, hands down. If I had that stupid length, all day, my iron game, wedge game, around the greens and my putting is world class.”

However, he has been quick to clarify the remarks, saying: “Who’s ever taken out of context the fact that I could be the best player in the world or all that crap if I could hit it as far as Rory. I mean the fact is, yeah if I was 60 to 70 to 80 yards longer off the tee yeah, of course I could compete on the PGA Tour.

“I mean, come on. I’m not. I’m 46, I’m a club pro. These guys bomb it past me, and it’s cool, I’ve got no problem with it. Am I going to be the best player in the world or the top 20 in the world? No, I’m not, I’m still going to be a club pro at the end of the day.”

Thanks to his PGA Championship heroics, Block is also playing in this week’s Charles Schwab Challenge on the PGA Tour. However, an opening round 81, which left him last in the field, has tempered expectations, and Block admitted he doesn’t have a long-term future on the Tour.

He continued: “I’m not going to be on tour and all that stuff, so all the haters out there, come on, man. I mean, really? It’s me. It’s Michael. I’m having fun. I’m just playing. I’m still a club pro forever and I love the PGA of America and if you hate me, you hate me, but I still love you, so whatever.”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grm24 said:

all the haters

As soon as anyone over like 10 years old actually says "haters" out loud ... you become a clown in the bozo circus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

47 minutes ago, grm24 said:

If you say so. BTW nice use of the quote function to make it appear those are my words. 

I would never suggest so, sir! 

Forgive me; was quoting the quote of the quote. 

Edited by aenemated

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

6 hours ago, grm24 said:

Did you read his explanation of his comment that appears to have been taken out of context. Of course not. Here it is. Of course for the people that are dead set against him for whatever reason it won't matter. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/michael-block-clarifies-one-best-120547389.html

During the podcast, Block said: "He’s a lot longer than I am, that’s what it is. “What I would shoot from where Rory hits it would be stupid, I think I'd be one of the best players in the world, hands down. If I had that stupid length, all day, my iron game, wedge game, around the greens and my putting is world class.”

However, he has been quick to clarify the remarks, saying: “Who’s ever taken out of context the fact that I could be the best player in the world or all that crap if I could hit it as far as Rory. I mean the fact is, yeah if I was 60 to 70 to 80 yards longer off the tee yeah, of course I could compete on the PGA Tour.

“I mean, come on. I’m not. I’m 46, I’m a club pro. These guys bomb it past me, and it’s cool, I’ve got no problem with it. Am I going to be the best player in the world or the top 20 in the world? No, I’m not, I’m still going to be a club pro at the end of the day.”

Thanks to his PGA Championship heroics, Block is also playing in this week’s Charles Schwab Challenge on the PGA Tour. However, an opening round 81, which left him last in the field, has tempered expectations, and Block admitted he doesn’t have a long-term future on the Tour.

He continued: “I’m not going to be on tour and all that stuff, so all the haters out there, come on, man. I mean, really? It’s me. It’s Michael. I’m having fun. I’m just playing. I’m still a club pro forever and I love the PGA of America and if you hate me, you hate me, but I still love you, so whatever.”

His explanation said nothing to "clarify" though really. He just said what he meant is he'd just compete on the tour and implicitly added age as a reason he isn't one of the best. Also seems to have come after the backlash. Everyone knows he doesn't have a long term future that's not why people were kind of annoyed with what he said. If I drove it like Rory and putted like cam smith maybe I'd be on tour as well. 

I don't hate Block and take nothing away from him, but as I said originally, why not lay low and avoid a situation like this altogether? He had an amazing week, talking about it for hours isn't going to make it better, it can only ruin it.