Why did Matt leave TXG?

nikegolfer93

IMO, This is one of those classic examples of the channel being so much better when the 2 of them are together.  Neither one of them seems to carry the same viewer appeal on their own.  Ian is too technical, matt is too boring on his own (at least the last time).  

It's like a band that breaks up and the lead singer and guitarist go on with solo careers that don't mean much.  Sometimes, they are just better together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

IMO, This is one of those classic examples of the channel being so much better when the 2 of them are together.  Neither one of them seems to carry the same viewer appeal on their own.  Ian is too technical, matt is too boring on his own (at least the last time).  

It's like a band that breaks up and the lead singer and guitarist go on with solo careers that don't mean much.  Sometimes, they are just better together.

Kinda like Martin & Lewis . . .

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Best wishes to Matty. The channel was most consistent with him there as only a few guests or clients have had the right kind of energy to be a good foil to Ian, and one of them was a content creator who interacts for a living, very much far from the norm. Was clear from Matty's appearance that he wasn't at his best, so here's hoping getting to do something else that still lets him share his love for the game is fruitful for him. What's going to be hard to replace is a team--including Ian--who handled all aspects of production, namely setting schedules, networking, managing the video, and editing footage without missing a beat most of the time.

Hope TXG finds the right balance again as well, because they're one of the few channels that delivers so much detail around club performance. Have to agree with the takes on them being pushed towards the CC moniker, nothing good will come of it. That paycheck must have been substantial as I can't imagine Ian didn't see the potential for what the brand could have continued to grow into on its own, though maybe the financial side of the growth wasn't lining up with the strength of the reputation they were building.

• 4 weeks later...

Confirmed around the 12 minute mark that this was due to TXG brand getting fully taken over by Club Champion.

• Like 4

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

On 7/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, klaw said:

Care to elaborate for us less informed? 

There are some good, even great fitters that work at Club Champions all over the place. If you are going in to get fit by someone with a good rep, that's all fine and well. 

The rub is that if you buy what they fit you into, you will be charged at full MSRP for every single component. As in yes, if you fit into T100s with Tour Velvets and S300s, that build sheet is going to charge you for each one of those things. There are numerous threads from members who've opted into that arrangement (they do "warranty" their work") but have reported really fundamental problems with the builds. 

I knew this several years ago and had an iron fitting with the best guy at my local CC. The guy was great and actually put me in a 2-yr old set of Callaways with  Project X. Their build sheet quote for 5-PW was more than $1700 (in 2019)...I said no thanks and bought the exact clubs on Callaway Preowned for like $500. 

• Like 2

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On 8/4/2023 at 6:21 AM, ucmike11 said:

Really sad, TXG is no more.  The Youtube channel changed its name to be Club Champion.

Yup, noticed that too (and unfollowed) - also their website explains they've been acquired and are now "Club Champion Canada." https://txg.ca/

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

On 8/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, BlueDragonKorea said:

Confirmed around the 12 minute mark that this was due to TXG brand getting fully taken over by Club Champion.

Good for him for staying true to what he believes in. I woulda done the same thing if I were in his place. If you choose to go to CC, hey, you’re prerogative. But I echo what @GooseHook said. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, GooseHook said:

There are some good, even great fitters that work at Club Champions all over the place. If you are going in to get fit by someone with a good rep, that's all fine and well. 

The rub is that if you buy what they fit you into, you will be charged at full MSRP for every single component. As in yes, if you fit into T100s with Tour Velvets and S300s, that build sheet is going to charge you for each one of those things. There are numerous threads from members who've opted into that arrangement (they do "warranty" their work") but have reported really fundamental problems with the builds. 

I knew this several years ago and had an iron fitting with the best guy at my local CC. The guy was great and actually put me in a 2-yr old set of Callaways with  Project X. Their build sheet quote for 5-PW was more than $1700 (in 2019)...I said no thanks and bought the exact clubs on Callaway Preowned for like $500. 

They will allow you to order them built by the OEM manufacturer as well, which should be a good bit cheaper. You won't get charged for stock components on the set, would be like ordering from pga superstore or something.

It gets expensive if you use their standard business model which is them building your clubs because they don't trust the OEM builds. They will order a stock set, pull the shafts off the clubs and throw them away, they won't give them to you. Then charge you for whatever shaft/grip you were fit into and they install them on the clubs out their inventory. They charge full msrp as well, like a tour velvet is $6.50 from dicks sporting goods, club champion will charge like 8.50 or something for the same grip. Same goes for the shafts. Then you have the build costs.

4 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

They will allow you to order them built by the OEM manufacturer as well, which should be a good bit cheaper. You won't get charged for stock components on the set, would be like ordering from pga superstore or something.

It gets expensive if you use their standard business model which is them building your clubs because they don't trust the OEM builds. They will order a stock set, pull the shafts off the clubs and throw them away, they won't give them to you. Then charge you for whatever shaft/grip you were fit into and they install them on the clubs out their inventory. They charge full msrp as well, like a tour velvet is $6.50 from dicks sporting goods, club champion will charge like 8.50 or something for the same grip. Same goes for the shafts. Then you have the build costs.

And they go for the pre-upsell for Pureing.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Man. Massive respect for Matty on this one. That's punk rock AF. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

• 2 weeks later...

Golf Liberty

Announcement teaser and Q&A on Matt's channel.

Accessible custom fitting and player development for the masses. YouTube channel will be run by Matt. Studio in Toronto opens September 12th.

Dude really must hate Club Champion.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

13 hours ago, nosedive32 said:

Golf Liberty

Announcement teaser and Q&A on Matt's channel.

Accessible custom fitting and player development for the masses. YouTube channel will be run by Matt. Studio in Toronto opens September 12th.

Dude really must hate Club Champion.

I think it’s a great move. Definitely appeals to a greater percentage of golfers.  

Not really sure about the "Golf Liberty" concept. Matt's ultimately a low-handicap content creator. 

His background is making Shawn Clement's old videos, before moving on to work with Ian, Gareth, Tyler, Larry.

Primarily as an editor, but also as a friend, student, and client. He's neither a fitter nor a swing coach. 

Think he's a gem of a lad, but not sure I'd spend money for services better suited for experts, rather than enthusiasts. 

That said, he surely has the following to make a dollar. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 12:15 PM, DataGolfer said:

Not really sure about the "Golf Liberty" concept. Matt's ultimately a low-handicap content creator. 

His background is making Shawn Clement's old videos, before moving on to work with Ian, Gareth, Tyler, Larry.

Primarily as an editor, but also as a friend, student, and client. He's neither a fitter nor a swing coach. 

Think he's a gem of a lad, but not sure I'd spend money for services better suited for experts, rather than enthusiasts. 

That said, he surely has the following to make a dollar. 

He learned to fit from Ian himself. What you saw on camera for TXG wasn't the extent of his knowledge base. Being there with Ian/Mike/Ryan Barath for those years and having access to all the company reps gives infinite knowledge in this exact field.

I think it's a smart choice for him to branch in to this as a brand agnostic, no frills, no pressure fitter is something the industry in Canada greatly needs.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

18 hours ago, DataGolfer said:

Nurses don't learn to be doctors working next to them, and paralegals don't learn to be lawyers.

It's a smart choice because he has a following, a brand, and is able to use his media platforms to guarantee himself a healthy salary.

If you did a SWOT, the W is the business model. Less pressure means less sales. It’s a business, not an altruistic endeavor. Great salespeople will always be more fruitful than a great golfer and trying to teach them to sell.

A wide social media following means wide geography, but the local market is narrow for prospects.

Saying you’re going to fix their swing, or change their fit, or, or, or, is just adding confusion to the mix. If you learn nothing else from GolfWRX, it’s that people think a new shaft and/or driver is the answer. Don’t talk them out of it, don’t confuse them or get in their way.

It’s a low-volume business, so low price will kill you. Too hard to raise prices after you figure that out. You can always have discounts, time-sensitive specials, promotions. You close sales with urgency.

I think finding, exploiting a social media niche is probably a better lane than brick and mortar. People don’t show up at your door just because you have one. Start adding in local advertising costs.

In all seriousness, there’s more money in opening a dog grooming place than this business model. 8% of the population of Toronto play golf, probably 50% have a dog. And dogs need grooming even in the winter at the same price. Then multiply by hiring 4 groomers. How many golf customers can you serve at once?

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

5 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

If you did a SWOT, the W is the business model. Less pressure means less sales. It’s a business, not an altruistic endeavor. Great salespeople will always be more fruitful than a great golfer and trying to teach them to sell.

A wide social media following means wide geography, but the local market is narrow for prospects.

Saying you’re going to fix their swing, or change their fit, or, or, or, is just adding confusion to the mix. If you learn nothing else from GolfWRX, it’s that people think a new shaft and/or driver is the answer. Don’t talk them out of it, don’t confuse them or get in their way.

It’s a low-volume business, so low price will kill you. Too hard to raise prices after you figure that out. You can always have discounts, time-sensitive specials, promotions. You close sales with urgency.

I think finding, exploiting a social media niche is probably a better lane than brick and mortar. People don’t show up at your door just because you have one. Start adding in local advertising costs.

In all seriousness, there’s more money in opening a dog grooming place than this business model. 8% of the population of Toronto play golf, probably 50% have a dog. And dogs need grooming even in the winter at the same price. Then multiply by hiring 4 groomers. How many golf customers can you serve at once?

Great point solo. Dog grooming in an area with a lot of disposable income would be ideal. I’d bet most of the dogs in my area eat better and have better grooming habits than 80% of the ppl in this country 🐶😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, Soloman1 said:

On 9/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, TiScape said:

Great point solo. Dog grooming in an area with a lot of disposable income would be ideal. I’d bet most of the dogs in my area eat better and have better grooming habits than 80% of the ppl in this country 🐶😊

My wife worked in a dog grooming biz for a couple years.  And, as it happens, it was in an above average income area.

It's quite a bit harder work than it might sound, she would feel beat up after many shifts.  Sometimes literally; some dogs don't like being there.  😐

And then there is the Karen factor, it was strong with the customer base she encountered. 

Just a couple random thoughts  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

My wife worked in a dog grooming biz for a couple years.  And, as it happens, it was in an above average income area.

It's quite a bit harder work than it might sound, she would feel beat up after many shifts.  Sometimes literally; some dogs don't like being there.  😐

And then there is the Karen factor, it was strong with the customer base she encountered. 

Just a couple random thoughts  🙂

I’m sure you’re right. That’s why you hire other people to get bit. 🙂

• Haha 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key