2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

What 7 or 9 wood is an absolute game changer?

LowAndLeft32

I tried g430, stealth 2, paradym, TSR woods, then got fitted for stealth 2s and TSRs. 

I ended up going with a TSR2 7 wood. Best looking and its small head gives me confidence. Also felt the best to me (“ting”y and explosive imo). 

I absolutely love this club. My 220 club and a go-to fairway finder.  But it does go super high in my swing speed which i dont mind at all as it drops dead on the green. 

i think you need to try different brands to actually see if you like the feel as well. Results and data are what matter sure but i prefer my clubs to feel good to my liking when hit well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TNwanabe said:

Same

I had the hybrids in 3 and 4 (Ping G425), low bullets (I'm shallow). Replaced them with the Ping G425 7 and 9 woods, night and day difference. They are my 170-185 and 190-200 yard clubs, high flight and soft landings. I can hit greens on long par 4's, and put the ball in great positions on par 5's. 

• Like 3

On 6/22/2023 at 7:26 PM, Morry said:

have ping 430 7wood.....flat setting down 1....'is' the Perfect lofted 5 wood basically....

but I am still in a st-z 230 3h instead.....does the same for me basically from more lies 

trying to separate them, but it's a chalenge

that 430 7wood is a Beast is my point...try it!

Yep, I 100% concur.  I have the 425 7W and it’s great —— minus the sound.  That’s the only reason I’m looking to upgrade it.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

I used a 7 wood for the first time yesterday (a mate's spare set) and what a game changer! It's such a confidence club. 

I used a G10 with a soft regular shaft. My only concern is that it may overlap with my 5 wood. 

Dr: Titleist TSR2 10º w/ Tensei 1K Black 65S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

3W: Titleist TSR2 15º w/ Tensei 1K Black 75S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip 

5W: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

4H: Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Tensei 1K Black 85S and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Align Grey Grip

5-UW: PING G425 Blue Dot w/ Project X 6.0 LZ (+1") and Golf Pride CPX Midsize Grips

54º: Vokey SM9 54º12D w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

58º: Vokey SM9 58º08M w/ Dynamic Gold (+0.5") and Golf Pride MCC+4 Midsize Grey Grip

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Bridgestone Tour B X

Bought a g430 9 wood to replace my 4 hybrid. So, so easy to hit and quickly becoming my favorite club. Will fear hitting it out of a propped up lie in the rough but that is my only concern 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

My G425 Max 5 and 7 woods have made me look like a much better golfer than I am. Looking forward to seeing how the 9 wood does.  

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, GW - PXG 0211 DC

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

I’ve tried and failed to make a 7 wood work for me.  It almost seems like they benefit people with either less or more speed than me.  I just was never able to find one that was anywhere near as accurate as my 19 hybrid, and once I get out over 200 yards, at a 2 handicap, consistency is much more important than the ability to fly a fairway wood and get it to stop on a dime.  Better, faster players may find this to be a great attribute but it just didn’t work for my game and abilities.  
For my wife, however, it has been an absolute game changer.  She is a 23 handicap 53 year old woman who swings it slow.  The ability to get it up in the air consistently has made golf more fun for her.  She actually plays a 5 wood and 9 wood now and has great success with the 9.  She has had a number of the. But the stealth 9 wood has been great for her.  Cobra f9 and Callaway speed (can’t remember which of the speed line she had but I see them on the bay at absolute steals from time to time) were also good.

G400 7w at big minus, or 19.5*

i am going to find a Cally UW and toss in a Blueboard 73x

Edited by cardoustie
  • Like 1

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

On 6/23/2023 at 1:48 PM, JAMH03 said:

@LowAndLeft32 I'm kind of curious what your approach is going to be can you share that with us a bit?

Game changer? Bruh no.

It's physics, those lofts on woods do a job that the players benefit from.

I've said it for well over a decade. The vast majority of golfers benefit from having a 20º wood. This has gone on for generations. If you think about the Raymond Floyd's, Corey Pavin's etc.

Now with players with as much clubhead speed as Harrington and the best player since 1986 himself. Higher lofted woods fit in their kits because they're more utilitarian than long irons.

What do you need in a FW wood? Which ones work best? What I've found is the shaft has to be a good fit. An ill fitting shaft will give you bad misses that are exacerbated by the speed with which their hit and the distances traveled. That is a must.

Obviously Titanium works really well in a lot of instances. Lighter faster farther, good sound, not a bad trade off for cost.

For more avid golfers smaller head sizes are preferred. 

As far as deepness and head shape that's up to personal preference, depending on what folks can stand looking at and how it effects you seeing it teed up. Surprisingly enough with moderate SS the higher lofted fairway woods can get a fair bit of use as play clubs off the tee to get to perfect approach distance on short and tight par 4's etc.

Where would I start? I'd look for a head shape I like, and I'd start with Touredge, reason being so many people once they arrive on TE they happily stay. That's not to say that there are not other fairway woods nearly as good.

I call the higher lofted ones "Boppers" as in

"I'mma just Bop this right over here."

For me though just having a fairway wood, that I trust not to do weird stuff (shaft kick matters) makes the game much easier. 

After exploring what Touredge has then I'd look at others.

But none of that is accounting for your tastes @LowAndLeft32 if you have fairways woods you've liked in the past that'd be the way to go. Check clubs similar to those especially with shafts that you like first. As they're more likely to fit what you want.

Good luck and may you find the Bopper of your dreams. 😄

^^This is "Pin" worthy. ^^

19-21* of loft on a wood has always been a sweet spot that most golfers can benefit from. For most, they are easier to hit "well". As loft creep continues in modern golf equipment (yes, even fairway woods), the number on the club changes but loft is loft, regardless of the number/name painted on the club. And yes, technology, exotic materials, and moving MOI around has made them more efficient.

As has been mentioned, find the club-head type you prefer. From there, hit as many as you can. Finding a FW you can trust (for most) takes time and trial, and is a journey worth taking. Once you find it, you'll know it, and when you do, hit it all you need to but don't mess with it.

Trust (in anything) is a fragile thing. There's a reason why you still see old V-Steels and Exotics fairways in the bags of folks who play this game for a living. Modern heads may in fact be 10+ yards longer, but there's more to it than how far you can hit it.

Great question and good luck with your search.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I'll reiterate- 7 & 9 wood players are seeking carry yardage. I can still hit 4i to a back tucked pin - hitting the correct trajectory, spin and apex is where everything starts to fall apart consistently IMO

I can hit a low tight draw with my 9wd(wind) much more consistently than I can hit a high faded(spin) 4i.  It's not even close when dispersion comes into play IMO

You have to be a solid stick to group 4i's worthy of keeping it in the bag

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

4 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

I'll reiterate- 7 & 9 wood players are seeking carry yardage. I can still hit 4i to a back tucked pin - hitting the correct trajectory, spin and apex is where everything starts to fall apart consistently IMO

I can hit a low tight draw with my 9wd(wind) much more consistently than I can hit a high faded(spin) 4i.  It's not even close when dispersion comes into play IMO

You have to be a solid stick to group 4i's worthy of keeping it in the bag

Your comment about being able to hit a 4i is spot on. "Technically," I deliver too much dynamic loft to play a 7 wood effectively. However, launching moonballs is still WAY more consistent than ripping 4is. I'm a high-swing speed player and can play a 4i, but setting aside my ego the 7W gives me a better opportunity to score. 

• Thanks 2

Cally UW 21*, im a high spin player so this gets the height I like to see into a green but does not balloon on me.  Attempted to get away from it as the face on all 3 of the heads I have had rusted including the one I have but the performance out ways the visual that initially erked me.

• Like 1

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a Callaway Paradym 9 wood with a GD TP8X ($150 upcharge from Callaway) in play and it has been great so far! 185 carry into the green with about 10' of roll/hop forward and stop. No ballooning that I can tell, which my TSi 7 wood did have (hence why it was sold). At 24° it carries farther than my TSi2 5 hybrid but less than my 21° Callaway UW. I wanted a 23° UW, but couldn't find one. This head and shaft combination work well with my swing to produce the right amount of spin for holding greens but not losing big distance into the wind. Honeymoon period has officially begun...