2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Why is the average age of a golfer so old when it is physically harder on the body as you age?

Desh

To me this seems like one of those things in the world where reality is opposite of theory. 

As we all know, the golf swing is extremely demanding on the spine, more so than a lot of other activities. We also know that as you age, degenerative conditions in the spine occur. Therefore you are more prone to injury and pain as you age and play golf.

So why are is the average age so old for golf?

I would think that golf would be actually geared to younger crowd as their backs are in better shape and can handle the golf swing. Then as you age you pick up other hobbies, similar to how most athletes stop playing sports after their 40s.

Mav SZ Driver

Sub 70 3 wood

JPX 921 Tour Irons

Jaws Wedges

5 minutes ago, ApostateDrive said:

Time: Most people in their physical prime are too busy being wage slaves to their jobs and raising families to golf very much.

Money: Most people in their physical prime are too busy being wage slaves to their jobs and raising families to afford to golf very much.

You can close the topic already. This is the correct answer.

I am 37 but I have nor the time nor money to play as often as I'd like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

You can close the topic already. This is the correct answer.

I am 37 but I have nor the time nor money to play as often as I'd like.

That makes sense, I thought that might be a main variable, but I am mainly curious about the other big variable and health. I see a lot of older golfers that play 4-5 times a week and have back issues and are on a constant pain management regimen. That is what spawned this whole questioning. 

• Like 1

Mav SZ Driver

Sub 70 3 wood

JPX 921 Tour Irons

Jaws Wedges

Show me a guy who's 35 and single with no kids and I'll show you a dedicated golfer. 

As to why older guys golf, you're probably over-estimating their limitations. At my club there are tons of older guys. Slowing down doesn't mean you can't play at all. And most of these guys are excited to get out and do something, even if they cap it at 3-4x per week. I know some who won't ever play back-to-back days for instance. 

• Like 2

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

Because of the success of the handicap system, it's easier for an average older player to still have fun and compete in competitions. Studies have shown people who play golf live longer - the fresh air and exercise is great for people that age. Add in carts and other benefits, and anyone can do it. This makes it appealing for people that have retired.

Despite the 'golf's not a sport' crowd who associate the game with older or unfitter men and women, the average ball speed on the PGA Tour is 173mph. I'm a fit man in my 30s and I can barely get 150. Much of that is technique no doubt compared to a top pro, but then the 185-190mph average ball speed of the likes of Rory, Champ, Young requires serious athletic prowess that some people will never reach. The average ball speed of a 70s amateur meanwhile is 70mph. It's an alien game they are playing

But because of this handicap system, there are lots of ways to get the ball in the hole. A decent 75-year-old could knock around a course in 80-85 shots quite regularly due to good course management and short game and have a far better time than a young 5 handicapper grinding and then shooting 78. The 75-year-old swinging 70mph, despite his age, is probably less likely to get injured than the 30 year old 5 handicapper trying to get to 170mph ball speed.

Edited by Dave230
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ApostateDrive said:

Time: Most people in their physical prime are too busy being wage slaves to their jobs and raising families to have time to golf very much.

Money: Most people in their physical prime are too busy being wage slaves to their jobs and raising families to afford to golf very much.

This pretty much. Many retirees play 2-3 times a week. Super jelly

3 minutes ago, Dave230 said:

Because of the success of the handicap system, it's easier for an average older player to still have fun and compete in competitions. Studies have shown people who play golf live longer - the fresh air and exercise is great for people that age. Add in carts and other benefits, and anyone can do it. This makes it appealing for people that have retired.

Despite the 'golf's not a sport' crowd who associate the game with older or unfitter men and women, the average ball speed on the PGA Tour is 173mph. I'm a fit man in my 30s and I can barely get 150. Much of that is technique no doubt compared to a top pro, but then the 185-190mph average ball speed of the likes of Rory, Champ, Young requires serious athletic prowess that some people will never reach. The average ball speed of a 70s amateur meanwhile is 70mph. It's an alien game they are playing

But because of this handicap system, there are lots of ways to get the ball in the hole. A decent 75-year-old could knock around a course in 80-85 shots quite regularly due to good course management and short game and have a far better time than a young 5 handicapper grinding and then shooting 78. The 75-year-old swinging 70mph, despite his age, is probably less likely to get injured than the 30 year old 5 handicapper trying to get to 170mph ball speed.

Ok I think you answered my question there, makes sense.

I know when i created this post it was going to sound ignorant but I also wasn't 100% sure as you see a lot of people doing things but you never really know. 

• Like 1

Mav SZ Driver

Sub 70 3 wood

JPX 921 Tour Irons

Jaws Wedges

I played basketball, tennis, flag football, etc. as long as my body allowed me. It wasn't until my legs said "no" did I really concentrate on golf. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, Desh said:

To me this seems like one of those things in the world where reality is opposite of theory. 

As we all know, the golf swing is extremely demanding on the spine, more so than a lot of other activities. We also know that as you age, degenerative conditions in the spine occur. Therefore you are more prone to injury and pain as you age and play golf.

I would think that golf would be actually geared to younger crowd as their backs are in better shape and can handle the golf swing. Then as you age you pick up other hobbies, similar to how most athletes stop playing sports after their 40s.

The simple answer is – MONEY.  Golf is an expense sport so geared to those with money.  Physical ability is secondary.  Golf exacerbates injuries or pain, it's typically not the cause.  My aches and pains are the result of extreme sports during my younger years.  MONEY, like driving a GT p-car…most people can't afford them in the 20s or 30s.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, Desh said:

That makes sense, I thought that might be a main variable, but I am mainly curious about the other big variable and health. I see a lot of older golfers that play 4-5 times a week and have back issues and are on a constant pain management regimen. That is what spawned this whole questioning. 

The mistake you're making is thinking that golf is the reason why they have back issues and are on pain meds. Age is the biggest factor here. They likely would have similar issues if playing or not. So, given that, why not play golf and do something you can enjoy and still take part in?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

1 hour ago, Desh said:

What is the average age for a golfer?  I see all ages playing it.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Interesting discussion. I played with a 68 year old with two hip replacements and a knee replacement. He carts but plays well in the senior leagues. 
Seniors are living longer, have a little more disposable income. I’m 70, and need a hip. I’m not on a pain regime.

I was able to retire a few years ago, and playing more and studying the swing more than I ever have. 
The answer to your question? It’s always individualistic. We call it the game of a lifetime. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Desh said:

I would think that golf would be actually geared to younger crowd as their backs are in better shape and can handle the golf swing

A good golf swing coincides with general physical fitness. Many of the golf-specific exercise programs and packages are an excellent way for middle-age and senior crowd to stay fit overall. This includes flexibility, core endurance, bosu ball routines to improve balance, etc.

Others posters have mentioned this already, but injuries to knees can knock people out of softball, adult soccer, and tennis. Quite a few older am athletes I know played tennis and dabbled in golf. But when knees and hips started to hurt, they switched over to mainly golf.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

5 hours ago, dabohammer said:

This pretty much. Many retirees play 2-3 times a week. Super jelly

We have guys at our club in their 70s who play just about every day.  And some walk 18 in the east Texas heat, many  guys in their 30s couldn't keep up with them.   

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

Because golf is a "sport" that any one in nearly any physical shape can play. And I didn't say be good at.  You can drive a cart from shot to shot.  You can spend 4 hours "golfing"  and not nearly walk 1/4 mile.  It's a near perfect "sport" as you get older.  You can make the sport aspect as low as you desire or are able to do. 

Time. When you retire you can play as much as you want and time is a zero factor.  

I figure that I walk about 20 miles a week on the course.  

Because despite it not being easy on your body, golf is far less physically demanding to play somewhat competitively. A 75 year old may be able to shoot some shots in the driveway, but doubtful they are going to be playing a lot of full court pick-up basketball. But they can play a competitive 18 and still be able to hold their own with the benefit of handicaps (and many times don’t even need that to hold their own!)

• Like 2

When I was in my early to mid 30s, I looked around and realized I was the old guy who had lost a step when playing pick-up basketball and competitive flag football (is that an oxymoron?). I also realized I was putting myself at risk for an injury. A few years went by, and golf filled the competitive void that I was missing. 

I also don’t think the 70 year olds are swinging so fast and in such a way that golf is causing injuries. I imagine the 70 year olds who are swinging fast are taking care of their bodies and have good technique.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Desh said:

For one thing, you are imagining golf as purely an athletic endeavor, accessible only to athletes. It's not, although it can be.

Swinging a club at 115mph or otherwise playing golf at the highest levels requires athletic ability. Going out and shooting 82 from the senior tees at the local muni four mornings a week is not an athletic activity. it is a game, a pastime, a recreational activity. 

• Like 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

5 hours ago, 596 said:

Because golf is a "sport" that any one in nearly any physical shape can play. And I didn't say be good at.  You can drive a cart from shot to shot.  You can spend 4 hours "golfing"  and not nearly walk 1/4 mile.  It's a near perfect "sport" as you get older.  You can make the sport aspect as low as you desire or are able to do. 

Time. When you retire you can play as much as you want and time is a zero factor.  

I figure that I walk about 20 miles a week on the course.  

Still good exercise even for those who can't manage to walk 18 any longer. A little practice and play regularly plus the social interaction makes it unsurprising golfers live longer than many others on average.

image.png.602054289c7b17e69942dcad530eee76.png

• Like 1

Money aside and strictly regarding health…golf is unique from other sports.

Other sports are much more demanding aerobically speaking than golf. The vast majority of “older” people are simply too out of shape to play any other traditional sports. 
Also, they aren’t more demanding or harder on the back but risk injuries to knees, ankles, shoulders, etc.  Golf is easy aerobically with carts and rest between shots. Most injuries come from practicing and grinding hitting hundreds and hundreds of balls over time and wearing down on the body.

• Like 2

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I don't know the answer for sure, but I do know that, since turning 50, my body doesn't do things it could do years ago.

• Haha 1

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6