2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Anti-Right Driver

MackGolfer

Hi all, 

I am from the UK and currently have an index of 15, I need a new driver but have a pretty specific list of requirements I feel you guys may be able to help with? 

I am a member of one of the best links courses in the country which is not particularly long but hitting fairways is a premium. As a result of this I ditched the driver and use a 17 degree hybrid off the tee which comes out flat with little spin so is perfect for the links, I hit it so well I ditched my driver. 

The issue is I am also a member of a long parkland course where there are some forced carries where into the wind I cannot quite clear with the hybrid. 

On the course especially with wind off the left I struggle with a bit of a push slice, starts right and keeps going on the wind. I have tried using draw biased drivers such as the G425 SFT but they just kick the spin up too much and I lose tons of distance especially into the wind. 

So my question is, is there a driver which will come out flat so that I can use it on the links but also doesn’t want to go right on me? 

Many thanks. 

If a draw biased driver didn't help, the ONLY thing that WILL help is fixing the swing characteristic that is causing your right miss. Once you do that, any driver will work for you. Post a video of your swing in the Instructional Forum and they should be able to give you some ideas.

BT

• Like 4

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

18 minutes ago, MackGolfer said:

Thanks for the response. The draw biased drivers did work for me but they lost me a ton of distance and spun up massively in the wind. I’m after more of a ‘normal’ driver that won’t spin up too much but still has a bit of draw bias (not as extreme as the SFT) in it. 

Maybe something more adjustable, lower spinning head like a taylormade sim. 

Use a higher lofted head and set the weight in the heel. Maybe even on an upright setting.

Or if you like a closed face, a lower lofted head, turned up so it sits more upright.

Worth a demo at least. 

Edited by Bobb3rdown

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Might hate this answer but lessons. It could just be 1 lessons with a few simple setup fixes or swing feels that gets you the ball flights you want. If you're going crazy right it's all on the delivery of the clubhead. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Adjustable and loft down so the face opens up and then shaft that bad boy with some rebar like a Ventus Black. Or just hit the driver off the deck or tee it really low. Recently started using more loft (10.5 adjust to 12.5) since that adjustment I’ve been able to hit it off the deck reliably and it’s a fairway finder and a little fade everytime. Or could even think about a mini driver.

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

59 minutes ago, MackGolfer said:

Thanks for the response. The draw biased drivers did work for me but they lost me a ton of distance and spun up massively in the wind. I’m after more of a ‘normal’ driver that won’t spin up too much but still has a bit of draw bias (not as extreme as the SFT) in it. 

"Draw biased" consists of 1, 2 or all 3 of these things -

Closed Face Angle - Works until you visually square the face, then loft is increased.

Heel Weighting - Works if there is enough to affect the MOI of the clubhead and allow for faster closure.

Upright Lie - Pretty much the norm on all modern drivers.

To activate all of those on your SFT, you would need to set the hosel adapter on the big + & move the weight as far as possible toward the heel of the club. Once you've done that, you will have to try your best NOT TO SQUARE the clubface at impact. Let the adjustments do thier job and just swing the club. If they work, you should get what looks like a slight pull with a straighter ball flight (less curve). Key word is SHOULD.

BT

• Like 3

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

As someone who uses a 2 SIM MAX D's, including 1 lofted up 2 notches, and still doesn't get a draw, it's more likely you. That being said I wouldn't hesitate to recommend trying a SIM MAX D, because let's face it, buying clubs is fun.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

5 hours ago, MackGolfer said:

Hi all, 

I am from the UK and currently have an index of 15, I need a new driver but have a pretty specific list of requirements I feel you guys may be able to help with? 

I am a member of one of the best links courses in the country which is not particularly long but hitting fairways is a premium. As a result of this I ditched the driver and use a 17 degree hybrid off the tee which comes out flat with little spin so is perfect for the links, I hit it so well I ditched my driver. 

The issue is I am also a member of a long parkland course where there are some forced carries where into the wind I cannot quite clear with the hybrid. 

On the course especially with wind off the left I struggle with a bit of a push slice, starts right and keeps going on the wind. I have tried using draw biased drivers such as the G425 SFT but they just kick the spin up too much and I lose tons of distance especially into the wind. 

So my question is, is there a driver which will come out flat so that I can use it on the links but also doesn’t want to go right on me? 

Many thanks. 

I’ve seen testing on the new Callaway Big Bertha that shows its draw biased, but also low spin. It’s made in a 9* head, so you could lower the loft to 8* and make it more upright. Honestly, your issue is actually common, and I’ve never understood why manufacturers don’t make their draw biased drivers in lower lofts. By pure physics, most people who miss right tend to either add dynamic loft at impact, or the open face to path creates a higher launch and higher spin condition. In a perfect design, a draw biased driver would have a more upright lie angle to encourage a more left start line and encourage a faster face closure rate, more weight forward in the heel to further encourage a faster closure rate and reduce spin, and a lower static loft to offset the added loft issue at impact.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I think you could go with a less intense version of what you already had, e.g. a g430 max (supposedly slightly draw biased already) 9-degree head, loft it up a smidge, put the weight in the draw setting, etc. That's about as best as you're going to get. You can try and find a stiffer shaft that knocks the spin and launch down a bit too, and switch to a premium, low-spin golf ball as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

"Draw biased" consists of 1, 2 or all 3 of these things -

Closed Face Angle - Works until you visually square the face, then loft is increased.

Heel Weighting - Works if there is enough to affect the MOI of the clubhead and allow for faster closure.

Upright Lie - Pretty much the norm on all modern drivers.

To activate all of those on your SFT, you would need to set the hosel adapter on the big + & move the weight as far as possible toward the heel of the club. Once you've done that, you will have to try your best NOT TO SQUARE the clubface at impact. Let the adjustments do thier job and just swing the club. If they work, you should get what looks like a slight pull with a straighter ball flight (less curve). Key word is SHOULD.

BT

Agreed, although the evidence for heel weighting/face closure IMO is dubious at best and it's far more practical to instead focus on it as a means of gear effect manipulation. Heel weighting (enough to move the sweetspot heel side) means that slight heel strikes will behave more like center ones (and thus less slice-y gear effect) and center strikes behave slightly like toe ones, imparting a little but of fade reducing draw tilt to the ball's spin axis. 

I'd also argue that lie angle is almost meaningless with regards to anything corrective here, but you're right in that it technically is a component. 

@MackGolfer The best temporary solution for you here is first determining how much of your right miss is strike related and how much is face control related. If you miss the face in the heel then a draw weighted driver (more heel-side sweet spot) can help. If you're leaving the face open then lofting up to shut the face can help, but this means you need a driver with pretty low loft to start with since spin is a concern. Strike location is important for spin as well, anything lower on the face will spin up regardless of head. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I agree MattM97, if equipment hasn’t worked (and it will only move ball flight a little from my experience) it needs to be lessons.

Alternatively get a lower spin driver in a lower loft and loft up to close the face. I’ve gone from 12 degrees to a 10 degree lofted at 11 to close the face and reduce the fade spin, but that’s due to the fact since my injury last year I struggled to get my natural draw with my driver.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Titleist pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 7/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, MackGolfer said:

Hi all, 

Many thanks. 

Everything Cobra since the F9 has been pretty anti-right for me.

They make draw variants of their drivers, but I don't think they're necessary.

You might also play around with a slimmer grip. You'll definitely turn the face over with a smaller grip if you're used to larger.

Cobra LTDx LS Black 10.5 R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3, (-2")

Cobra Speedzone 14.5 (+1⁰) R - Tensei AV 65g

Cobra F9 18.5 R - Evenflow Blue 5.5 65g

Callaway Apex '21 4 Hybrid 21 R - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB

Callaway Apex '19 5i - AW - R - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH

Cleveland RTX6 - 54/10, (-1⁰) - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland RTX6 - 58/9 - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 3 - 35", (-1"), (+3g)

On 7/21/2023 at 5:46 PM, Tyler724 said:

Check out Callaway Rogue ST Max or Max D

@MackGolfer - I would also recommend this driver and get the 9* and loft it up to further close the face if needed.  I used to use a G425 SFT before switching to the rogue st max d for the same reasons as yourself - fought the rights with driver only.  The Rogue ST Max D provides the protection I need from going right, but also is better in the spin and distance departments over the G425 SFT.  Best of luck….

• Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

7 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

The Rogue ST Max D provides the protection I need from going right

This is a great way to describe these drivers. Not necessarily overkill on making everything go left, but keep it from going right for me. Helps avoid the dreaded two way miss off the tee when I’m having an off day with the driver. 

Just went through this with a dear friend of mine. 

He was very discouraged as he purchased a draw bias driver and nothing changed. 

On the course last week we changed his grip and his push fade became an easy cut. 

Now I’m no pro but the simple things can be seen so I’d suggest a lesson as the fix may be easier than you think…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lance1420 said:

Now I’m no pro but the simple things can be seen so I’d suggest a lesson as the fix may be easier than you think…

100% - IMHO it’s a combination of equipment and swing technique.  Put a bad swing on it and those anti-right drivers can certainly go right.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Live input is worth a lot more than a new club that won't fix the problem.

Once you get your slice in order, you'll find the market for drivers is plentiful and you can pick the one that "speaks" to you. 😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

24 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Live input is worth a lot more than a new club that won't fix the problem.

Once you get your slice in order, you'll find the market for drivers is plentiful and you can pick the one that "speaks" to you. 😄

While what you say is true, it's more fun to buy new stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 7/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, MackGolfer said:

Hi all, 

Many thanks. 

LTDX LS with whatever low spin shaft you prefer. I love mine with a Ventus Blue, because I'm ok with a touch of launch. You might wanna try it with a Black. All this combo does is hit knuckleballs. Point and shoot. Forgiving as anything you'll try but with excellent distance.

7 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

LTDX LS with whatever low spin shaft you prefer. I love mine with a Ventus Blue, because I'm ok with a touch of launch. You might wanna try it with a Black. All this combo does is hit knuckleballs. Point and shoot. Forgiving as anything you'll try but with excellent distance.

Except the ltdx ls is the most fade biased driver I've ever owned. It's anti left not right. Unless you're left handed. 

14 minutes ago, tatertot said:

While what you say is true, it's more fun to buy new stuff.

True... LOL

Though, giving myself credit, I did advocate for a wider selection. Lots of options are even MORE fun.

I can't say I haven't been bitten by the golf purchase bug, though. I just recently bought a bag, then a shaft, and now I'm looking at new grips.... LOL. Lord knows what's next....

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

If it’s a push slice I’d recommend a lighter weight shaft. 
But in reality with a push slice, your just not closing the face. You are simply not releasing the club.

Two feels you can try. 
1. Try feeling like the back of your left hand is pointing to at the ground in front of you. Kinda the bowed left wrist style of driving. 
2. Feel like your hitting the breaks a bit with your hand before impact to let the head catch up (aka releasing the club head). 

But equipment wise I personally would go lighter and stiff over softer, especially when trying to limit spin. But the excessive spin is coming from an open face. No gear can compensate for a spinny push slice. 

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

3, 4, 5 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

4 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

100% - IMHO it’s a combination of equipment and swing technique.  Put a bad swing on it and those anti-right drivers can certainly go right.

I can attest to that fully, I went out and played after work yesterday. My dad and I jumped around a little and ended up getting 13 holes in, on the last hole I pulled my most anti right driver the 10.5° SIM MAX D turned up to 12, I was so tired I hit 2 terrible push slices into the trees on the right. As accurate as that setup has been for me, a bleep swing will produce a bleep result. 

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft