2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

"Every shot counts" – When to concede a putt.

Newby

26 minutes ago, kiwigolf72 said:

I used to play a lot of golf with an old guy who over his career had won close to 20 senior club championships.

His theory was if your opponent putted and left it short, he would give them the next putt, no matter the distance.

If his opponent putted and got it past the hole, then he would make his opponent putt, no matter the distance. 

He was convinced that over 18 holes he was training by reward for his opponent to leave their putts short.

Now THAT is a very interesting psychological ploy. 👍

Personally, I'll likely concede a 2-footer, but 3 is too much.

Also, I'm OK with the old method of conceding some ticklers early but making the guy put 'em towards the end.

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Now THAT is a very interesting psychological ploy. 👍

Personally, I'll likely concede a 2-footer, but 3 is too much.

Also, I'm OK with the old method of conceding some ticklers early but making the guy put 'em towards the end.

He was a very good golfer, he won the club champs close to 20 times so maybe he was on to something. The last time I played with him he was 81 and shot an easy little 79.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rogolf said:

I played in a provincial amateur many years ago.  It was one of my first, and it was match play.  In one match, I was playing a "veteran", he had been there many times before.  On about the 7th hole, I didn't concede a  2 1/2 putt.  He missed, and on the way to the next tee, I heard him muttering about me not conceding that putt.  At that point, I knew that I had him beat, and I didn't concede anything over 2 feet for the rest of the round.

It's like a test, fail once and there are no more free passes.

Some players don't give a right-handed player short left to right putts.

Agreed, it can upset the opposition when you don't concede the putt, I have always expected to have to hole them all so doesn't worry me 

• Like 2

I’ve competed in a lot of match play events. All were handicapped. 

I’d give putts based on a few things;

Does my opponent really play as poorly or as well as his handicap suggests?

Does my opponent appear to roll a putt well? In or not, did he roll it well? 

That aside. 

Easy 3 footer early in the round to tie? Give it all day until it matters. Now I’m up 2 with 2? Nope. Good luck my untested opponent. 

There’s a mental strategy that is much more relevant than stats IMO. 

• Like 1

If my opponent has to read the putt, he's putting unless I've decided that he's not putting all day till the end of the match.  Maybe I'll give something outside of the glorified tap-in range is if I am fishing for a good-good. Which I never offer.  I'll take the offer when offered unless my opponent is really fishing and I've got an easy putt. 

If you're not a good pressure putter, maybe conceding longer putts to get sympathy points from your opponent might be a good strategy if your opponent isnt a cold blooded killer with a putter.

In our mens league, we play a hybrid of match play and stroke play. Every hole you win is worth a point. If you win the total stroke score for 9 after handicaps are figured, you win 3 three points. So conceding putts can putt opponents out of their misery if you've got total in the bag and they're out of the hole. Actually we can concede the score at any point. Been a few HIO's given when players are though to be intentionally sandbagging.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

9 hours ago, Augster said:

Nothing outside the grip unless I’m out of the hole. 

I hope my opponent gets angry having to hole short putts. Or even better, starts putting them without concentrating. 

This is what makes this topic so interesting. I will admit on the internet, that I am the type of player that loves your strategy to play against. The more putts I make, the more I make putts.😉 I love making some short ones early to get some confidence going. Keeping the putter out of my hand early works better (on me) to beat me in the match.

Yes I know I can still 'practice' putts early in the match, but it is not the same for me mentally. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kiwigolf72 said:

Agreed, it can upset the opposition when you don't concede the putt, I have always expected to have to hole them all so doesn't worry me 

Exactly.  I'd even prefer someone never concede one of my putts.  I like to putt them and I love hearing the ball drop into the cup.  🙂 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 hour ago, rogolf said:

Which you are entitled to do even when they have been conceded.  Just keep knocking them in the hole.

Unless of course its a team match and your partner still has a putt.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Played over 10yrs of Interclub Match play events, some Regional events, even a few times privately funded mini tours where -2 qualifies.  The only putts I give are within 6".  I've seen too many people, including some good golfers, under the pressure of competition, miss 1-2' putts on undulated and fast greens.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I like the idea that if it would make me nervous, I expect my opponent to putt out. Same for him. 

2-footer straight on: probably not an issue if I am playing straight up against someone with a similar cap. Last week I had a match with a 3 cap; we both are very solid putters in that we rarely miss anything under 5 feet and can go several rounds without a 3-putt.

Anything under 2 feet was a gimmie, except for a tricky steep downhill break that I putted out. It had 4" of break; that's no gimmie and had he given it to me, I would have thought of it as a gift. Make me putt that: I was the one that ended up above the hole in a bad spot. 

You are right though: someone who is a 20 cap has a different rationale on putts that I would make most of the time.  

I have one strategy that seems to work really well. Often in our interclub, we have two matches going in the same 4. Someone might be 1-2 feet, and I intend on giving them the putt, but I won't do it right away. If the other game has putts, I let my opponent's marker sit there, agonisingly, for a few minutes.

Letting him think all the thoughts:

"He's not giving it?"

"Is it tricky?"

"Why is he such a dick?"

"If it's a gimme, it's easy; I have to putt."

"He doesn't have to give it, but I won't give any of his."

After all that swims around, and the other match has putted out, then I'll pick up the coin and hand it. If they say anything, I just say "I didn't want to interrupt the other game."

From then on, you get two results… they're always trying to pay attention to the other match more than they would, and they try to "return the favour" on gimmes. None of which has helped them make a putt. It doesn't phase some, but others they're a right mess after that move.

Oh, and if you're losing, always ask about kids or grandkids. If you're winning, ask them where they work.

Edited by karstens_ghost
  • Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:17 AM, karstens_ghost said:

I have one strategy that seems to work really well. Often in our interclub, we have two matches going in the same 4. Someone might be 1-2 feet, and I intend on giving them the putt, but I won't do it right away. If the other game has putts, I let my opponent's marker sit there, agonisingly, for a few minutes.

After all that swims around, and the other match has putted out, then I'll pick up the coin and hand it. If they say anything, I just say "I didn't want to interrupt the other game."

I don't know about that. I have played someone who said on the first hole he doesn't concede putts, that he expected me to finish out. It seemed so weird, I did wonder why he would enter a matchplay event. The next hole was the closest I've ever been to a fight when he rolled his birdie putt to a foot, about two inches inside my par putt and tapped it in. I said he'd played out of turn and he would need to replay it. After my putt as I was away. I made, he missed. Any other match I've played those putts weren't ever attempted. I thought he was going to kill me. 

From then on it was just a farce. He'd roll it close enough that I would normally concede, but I wouldn't say anything. Then when he was about to pull the putter away I'd say, you know what, that's good. The faff was on short putts deciding who was actually away 😪

I'm pretty sure in the same match he carved a tee shot OB twice and I was down the middle. He spent an age looking for either and kept saying I should hit. And I'd say I'm not away...

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, larrybud said:

As far as requiring to putt a short putt, I figured, if it's so easy that it's a gimme, then what's the big deal about putting it? I go in with the mindset I'm putting everything in, and any concessions are a bonus.

EXACTLY, go into the match with zero expectation of concession and you will never be disappointed.

• Like 3

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

6 hours ago, larrybud said:

As far as requiring to putt a short putt, I figured, if it's so easy that it's a gimme, then what's the big deal about putting it? I go in with the mindset I'm putting everything in, and any concessions are a bonus.

That's true, but then it's easy to get into a situation where you have flat ten footer for birdie and your opponent is flailing around in a greenside bunker after not getting it out. I mean it's conceivable I could four or five putt, but come on, scoop your ball up and lets go. 

Or we are just playing medal golf in a very strict hitting order. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

That's true, but then it's easy to get into a situation where you have flat ten footer for birdie and your opponent is flailing around in a greenside bunker after not getting it out. I mean it's conceivable I could four or five putt, but come on, scoop your ball up and lets go. 

Or we are just playing medal golf in a very strict hitting order. 

I believe we are talking about putts that matter. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mudguard said:

That is true. But I'm sure we've all experienced the effect that stuff has on the rest of the match. Again. I'm not saying I expect to be given putts, but flat putts inside two feet I have no issue with. 

I've seen guys miss 3" putts in a tournaments. Not saying I'm not giving concessions, I'm just talking about expecting concessions. If you get p!ssed that someone didn't give you a 15" putt, then he's already won. In some ways, if an opponent is making me putt everything, it's to my benefit, in that I'm not going to miss, and me not missing will put a lot of pressure on that player.

Edited by larrybud
  • Like 2