2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What do you do when you absolutely lose your game?

Rdailey9108

I've been in the lower 80s all year. Now all of the sudden I can't break 90. Driver is all over the place. Irons all over the place. Hitting pulls or over top slices when I weaken my grip. Pulls are huge problem for me. Only thing that is saving me is my short game is pretty good. 

Thing I'm worried about is I have a golf trip in 2 weeks to North Carolina and some of the courses seem tough so I know I need to have my game in check or it's gonna be a long trip. 

Should I go back to basics? 

Live on the range, go through your checklists, get some video and dig it back out of the dirt. That's what I do anyways when Im in trouble 

Edited by SNIPERBBB
  • Like 3

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I generally go for a "hard-reset."

I take a couple of weeks off from the course and just focus on range work and practice. 

For me, I'm typically struggling with something I've struggled with before - but that doesn't guarantee anything about the solution I might have found last time. 

Somewhere between fundamentals and the particular way I execute them - I find (or not) that groove again.  

Yay golf!

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

30 minutes ago, Rdailey9108 said:

I've been in the lower 80s all year. Now all of the sudden I can't break 90. Driver is all over the place. Irons all over the place. Hitting pulls or over top slices when I weaken my grip. Pulls are huge problem for me. Only thing that is saving me is my short game is pretty good. 

Thing I'm worried about is I have a golf trip in 2 weeks to North Carolina and some of the courses seem tough so I know I need to have my game in check or it's gonna be a long trip. 

Should I go back to basics? 

When you're unsure about something, you need to recall the basics and persevere.  Hit the range with a purpose of what needs to be practiced and stick with it until you feel progress, then stay with it until you leave.  It's mind over matter.   You have to believe in yourself, otherwise, what happened will again. 

Sounds to me like you're sloppy when it comes to attention to details.  Attention to details, includes applying basics when over the ball, it's vital to solid ball striking.   Strike the ball well, scoring takes care of itself.  Mind over matter.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 weeks gives you some time to reset. Half swings at the range, dig it out of the dirt etc. Get the alignment sticks out and start working. Get the video out and see if something has changed. 

I've had to play tournaments and matches hitting punch draws just to post a score when things have gone off the rails with no time to work things out. 

• Like 2

Keep the throttle down on the short game, sounds like it is saving you. Don’t change grip with driver just spend some time on the range and try to understand your misses.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

22 minutes ago, Mcgeeno said:

I've had to play tournaments and matches hitting punch draws just to post a score when things have gone off the rails with no time to work things out. 

👏

Been there, done that... 👍

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I keep a checklist of my swing keys on an index card.  I keep that index card in my golf bag and look at it before every range session and every round.  If you're not doing something similar, it's a little too late, but once you find your swing again, I would do the index card thing.

@Valtiel had a great post in another thread about why we lose our swing: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jholz said:

I generally go for a "hard-reset."

I take a couple of weeks off from the course and just focus on range work and practice. 

For me, I'm typically struggling with something I've struggled with before - but that doesn't guarantee anything about the solution I might have found last time. 

Somewhere between fundamentals and the particular way I execute them - I find (or not) that groove again.  

Yay golf!

That's what I do except that I take a complete break from golf for 2-3 weeks.  Muscle memory is very real and once bad habits/movements are ingrained in any sport, it's tough to work through unless a hard reset is done IMO. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Writing down the process correction once you discover it is a good idea. I did that just yesterday when I worked through some recent struggles. Even just writing it down enhances recall.

Take a break for a few days and dial back the golf exposure. (Hard to do, I know)

Alignment problems are generally the issue for folks that usually are striking well and then suddenly are not. It has been every time for me. Though, taking a break to clear your head is an important part of the process. 🙂

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Lots of great info in here!  I narrow my stance, take quarter swings then moce to half swings until I pure the ball over and over again.  I keep going until I can do it with a regular swing.  I rather tweak it in small sections than in a full swing.

Break it down into manageable sections to fix it.

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

While all of the answers are logical and somewhat helpful, there’s only one real answer.

Unless your name is Tiger Woods 2000’s or Jack Nicklaus 1970’s, it’s golf.  Most often, the harder you try to pull yourself out, the longer the “lost my game” stays with you and often, you groove a current bad habit, or add some new ones. 

Get your setup right, work on your biggest fault….which is what everyone should be doing at any given moment and keep your routine of practice and play constant.  

Very true! Most of my good results in tournaments come while I'm convinced my golf swing absolutely sucks and I play anyways and focus on process. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

When my game goes to hell, it is usually only one thing that is off. Don’t jump around trying change everything. My last issue was a shoulder injury. Had to play in a tournament with a sore shoulder and was altering my takeaway to prevent pain without realizing it.

Went back the basic drills I have used in the past, and it was pretty obvious…. And not too difficult to get back from.

This is where having an instructor that knows your swing can be really helpful.  That person can easily spot something you are doing differently to throw off your swing.

I recently realized my grip was getting too weak from all the wedge game practice so my 5 iron going to the right, straight into the trees!

Not only did I fix it after the round, but I discovered that my old 4 iron was much easier to swing and put it back in the bag instead of my 5 iron!

At work I was tasked with fixing other people's problems.  Fixing my swing is so much easier!

Edited by ShortGolfer

10 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

While all of the answers are logical and somewhat helpful, there’s only one real answer.

Unless your name is Tiger Woods 2000’s or Jack Nicklaus 1970’s, it’s golf.  Most often, the harder you try to pull yourself out, the longer the “lost my game” stays with you and often, you groove a current bad habit, or add some new ones. 

Get your setup right, work on your biggest fault….which is what everyone should be doing at any given moment and keep your routine of practice and play constant.  

I think that's my biggest problem is I'm allowing myself to mentally give up before I even have a chance to hit a shot. I noticed when I didn't care about the result and just picked my target and swung that my results were better. I think when i obsess with the result and avoiding my miss that the miss happens anyway. I figured that the pros go through rough patches as well shooting in the 80s and missing cuts so I guess it happens all the time even to elite players. 

15 hours ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Alignment problems are generally the issue for folks that usually are striking well and then suddenly are not.

This is me. When I’m at the range I always use an alignment stick because for some reason I slowly end up aiming right off where I think I am. The other day on a 135 yd par 3 I hit what I thaws a perfect shot only to see it land off the green right. My buddy who was behind me said it was exactly where I was aiming and I had no clue.

I think what happens to me is I gradually start creeping to the right and then when I keep hitting ball right I end up adjusting my swing which leads to all kinds of problems. I have to consciously focus on every shot’s alignment in my PSR which i sometimes get sloppy with. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Stop overthinking it!!

Go back to basics (grip, stance, alignment, etc), and do what it takes to keep the ball in play. If that means you have to take an extra club or two to hit a quality shot, so be it. Half and three-quarter shots are your ally when you're not playing your best.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

4 minutes ago, nitram said:

Stop overthinking it!!

Go back to basics (grip, stance, alignment, etc), and do what it takes to keep the ball in play. If that means you have to take an extra club or two to hit a quality shot, so be it. Half and three-quarter shots are your ally when you're not playing your best.

The real problem practically yesterday was the driver. I'm lefty and everything was going either pulls or snap hooks. I hit 4 good drives yesterday. The rest were either blocks left or the pulls/snap hooks. 

19 hours ago, wagolfer7 said:

Trip in 2 weeks, I'd be cautious here.  Don't try to rebuild the swing prior to a big golf trip.  

#1) Get off this forum.  Bad idea to apply a million golf tips in 2 weeks. 

#2) Work on simple things for consistency.  Even if it's a slice, if it's consistent, it's playable with a good short game

#3) Work on Alignment - usually where a real bad shot comes into play, alignment has a role in it

#4) Tempo - again something consistent

#5) Grip - quit changing it, keep it consistent and live it with for now

Hope you play good enough that it's enjoyable.  Have a good trip.

Maybe after the trip you can look at technique and mechanics.  It's common for guys at that level to go through good and bad runs.  Some times the timing and compensations are workings, others it's not.  

I've read the whole thread and this is the best advice given.  I've caddied several thousands of rounds for professionals and everyone loses their swing at some point.  Most often, what you describe boils down to inconsistent setup and ball position.  

With two weeks left before your trip, avoid major changes and just find something consistent.

Good luck.  Now get off this forum and go to the range.

2 hours ago, Rdailey9108 said:

I'd say over the top, hips too active which I guess is shoulders spinning out as well, inconsistent contact, and overswinging. My shoulders also tend to be too open at times.

Your 2 or 3 biggest flaws never go away. They always have to be managed.

Go back to how you manage your key flaws and you'll "find" your game.