Merino Wool Golf socks

I love merino wool for my golf socks. Generally wear ankle high style ... from both Kentwool and Bombas.

I appreciate the magic of merino wool ... keeping my feet warm in cold weather ... cool in warm weather ... and sweat (and stink) free.

Cotton options ... or more modern 'tech' material options ... make my feet sweat profusely ...and stink to the high heavens.

so my general question to you cats out there ....

are there any other options for merino wool golf socks other than Kentwool and Bombas that you have positive exprience with?

let me know.  I don't mind shelling out premium $$$ for Kentwool or Bombas ... it's worth it.  But always open to another merino wool option?

thanks in advance ...

I haven't tried the merino wool line but so far the regular ones from Feetures are nice so maybe check them out. The Quarter and Crew are made in USA for those that want that extra. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

19 minutes ago, 801 said:

I love merino wool for my golf socks. Generally wear ankle high style ... from both Kentwool and Bombas.

I appreciate the magic of merino wool ... keeping my feet warm in cold weather ... cool in warm weather ... and sweat (and stink) free.

Cotton options ... or more modern 'tech' material options ... make my feet sweat profusely ...and stink to the high heavens.

are there any other options for merino wool golf socks other than Kentwool and Bombas that you have positive exprience with?

let me know.  I don't mind shelling out premium $$$ for Kentwool or Bombas ... it's worth it.  But always open to another merino wool option?

thanks in advance ...

Darn Tough, lifetime guarantee. Every few years I send 3 or 4 pairs back, couldn't be an easier process.

https://darntough.com/

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

39 minutes ago, 801 said:

thanks in advance ...

I would personally recommend Smartwool or Darn Tough.  I use smartwool for skiing and they are terrific.  Definitely go with an ultralight option.  I do this for skiing and regular socks because the wool and the fabrics allow it to breath and keeps you comfortable.

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I was about to recommend Pacas because I have a dozen of their sport/golf wool socks and love them, but it looks like they aren't available on their site currently. Their model lineup seems to routinely change so hopefully they will be back in the spring time. I wear these and Kentwool pretty much exclusively and always walk, and I prefer the Pacas. Softer and don't tend to make my feet sweat as much as Kentwool. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

Darn Tough Tactical T4088.  1/4 height, midweight with some cushion....love these.  I have about 6 pairs that are 3-6 years old - all are still like new.  Normal laundering and drying, no special care needed.

• Like 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

On 1/3/2024 at 9:44 AM, monkeyboy said:

Darn Tough Tactical T4088.  1/4 height, midweight with some cushion....love these.  I have about 6 pairs that are 3-6 years old - all are still like new.  Normal laundering and drying, no special care needed.

Wearing these right now but I do not like them. Too thick and not stretchy enough. 

they’re durable, though. 

Not a fan of wool golf socks. For the past few years have worn these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5T9M37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Inexpensive and very comfortable.

• Thanks 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, gsrjc said:

$18 for one pair of socks that one would use for golf. Damn. 

Merino socks are different.  Try this...get a pair of merino wool socks such as darn tough.  Wear them all week without washing.  At the end of the week they won't stink, and your feet will still feel dry.  Then go back to a cotton sock.  Your feet will feel damp as soon as you take off your shoes.  

32 minutes ago, robp11 said:

Merino socks are different.  Try this...get a pair of merino wool socks such as darn tough.  Wear them all week without washing.  At the end of the week they won't stink, and your feet will still feel dry.  Then go back to a cotton sock.  Your feet will feel damp as soon as you take off your shoes.  

Agree on cotton but disagree on merino. 

other blends make my feet feel better at the end of the day, breathability wise. 

Darn tough you can’t go wrong with however I’m an avid mountain biker as well and a company called Endurance Threads out of New England makes really good (and affordable) thin wool socks you can buy in 3 packs at a reasonable price.   If you can get past some of the graphics on the socks I swear by them for golf because they are thin and warm.  When my feet get cold, no bueno.    I absolutely love them and wear them up until spring thaw happens.   Some of the thicker wool socks are fine but they can annoy me when Spring hits because now the thick sock has stretched out my Footjoys.   Not Endurance Threads.   Check em out.

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, robp11 said:

Okay. I’ll try and see. I’m not sure about not washing them if I’ve worn them all week though. 

On 2/5/2024 at 8:41 PM, gsrjc said:

Okay. I’ll try and see. I’m not sure about not washing them if I’ve worn them all week though. 

It's just an experiment so you can see how they differ from cotton.  You don't need to wash them as often as cotton but eventually you'll figure out a wash frequency that works for you.  

14 hours ago, robp11 said:

It's just an experiment so you can see how they differ from cotton.  You don't need to wash them as often as cotton but eventually you'll figure out a wash frequency that works for you.  

Oh ok. Good to know. I’ve never tried before because my feet already sweat all the time so figured wool would just make it worse 

I have been wearing busy socks from amazon for the last 2 seasons. I find the thickness to be comfortable and they are not too hot in Carolina heat in the summer either. The wool also solved a stinky feet issue that I used to battle in the summers. Wool is naturally odor fighting and wonderful. I love darn tough socks too. But $27 for 6 pairs of busy socks is hard to beat
https://www.amazon.com/Busy-Socks-Compression-Support-Running/dp/B08GCP23CJ?th=1