Slim/Tailored pants for high school golfer

Need some recommendation. My 15 year old is between a size 16/YL/XL and a men's small size 28 waste. He is 5'6 so needs a 30" length. I am not having much luck finding pants at any of the stores and the only ones I found were one of the Puma’s at Golf Galaxy and they were too big in the crotch and waste area. PGA does not carry any small sizes in store either. Dick's and Academy were also a bust. So I have to order them online, but worried about spending a ton of money and them all coming in and not fitting. He is on the high school golf team and needs pants but I also don't want to break the bank just yet since he is only a freshman. Any pant that are regular fit swallow him. He needs slim or tailored. Outside of Bonobos what do you recommend? I also found on one of the threads the Adidas 5 pocket which I am going to try. Problem is finding any of the pants suggested before in a size 28 or finding youth L/XL golf pants outside of UA which do not have black. He has a tournament this Thrs and it is getting cold here in Texas where we live. Help. Need suggestions of brands and types.

I frequently wear actual joggers when it's cold.  UA or similar.  They're slim fit and black usually and not much different than golf specific joggers. Cost more sometimes,  tbh. And probably  readily available in larger youth sizes. 

Or go somewhere like Kohls or old navy. They usually have lots of pants for kids and teens. 

In 9th grade,  clothes fit for about 5 minutes so don't spend a lot. 

RLX Golf has multiple pants in size 28.

Castore has 28 but nothing in stock right now. 

Vineyard Vines has size 28 just no black. 

Lulu Lemon has size 28. 

Public Rec has size 28

You might have to buy a few pairs and try them on before knowing what fits best for your son. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

11 minutes ago, bellken said:

There isn't a whole lot of difference between "pants" and golf pants, except the price. You could try Target, Old Navy, and, the Gap.

Yeah idk about this comment. I certainly wouldn’t be wearing some regular chinos over my Nike or Redvanlys. Comfort and sweat wicking make a difference 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 7.5 Ventus TR Black 7X

Ping G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 8X

TM GAPR Lo 17° KBS Graphite X

Ping Blueprint S KBS C Taper S+

Ping S159 49/54/59

TT DG TI S400

Ping PLD 2D

10 hours ago, Jmpokluda said:

Need some recommendation. My 15 year old is between a size 16/YL/XL and a men's small size 28 waste. He is 5'6 so needs a 30" length. I am not having much luck finding pants at any of the stores and the only ones I found were one of the Puma’s at Golf Galaxy and they were too big in the crotch and waste area. PGA does not carry any small sizes in store either. Dick's and Academy were also a bust. So I have to order them online, but worried about spending a ton of money and them all coming in and not fitting. He is on the high school golf team and needs pants but I also don't want to break the bank just yet since he is only a freshman. Any pant that are regular fit swallow him. He needs slim or tailored. Outside of Bonobos what do you recommend? I also found on one of the threads the Adidas 5 pocket which I am going to try. Problem is finding any of the pants suggested before in a size 28 or finding youth L/XL golf pants outside of UA which do not have black. He has a tournament this Thrs and it is getting cold here in Texas where we live. Help. Need suggestions of brands and types.

Order online from places with free returns and try several brands / sizes. Send the ones that don't work back.

As another poster said you also don't need to buy "golf" pants or pants from a golf specific store or brand. There are many brands making pants from tech/stretch materials lots of the brands with no to little golf affiliation. Old navy, gap, target were mentioned and are good places to start. Uniqlo is another good budget option, but I think they have a difficult return policy - so check that before buying online from them. Now is a good time to be buying pants, lots of places putting cold weather items on sale to make way for spring clothes. 

2 hours ago, USMgolfer1 said:

Yeah idk about this comment. I certainly wouldn’t be wearing some regular chinos over my Nike or Redvanlys. Comfort and sweat wicking make a difference 

He needs pants for the odd cold afternoon in TX. Heat isn't a factor.   In fact,  since it's probably 9 hole matches, just gutting it out with shorts is the easy option.  The window of "warm enough to play" but "too cold to wear shorts for 2 hours" is pretty small.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lulu-lemon has pretty nice pants. I was skeptical b/c I thought it was just a women's yoga pant company, but I'm a believer now. Fit great, and no lose of mobility. I believe they will custom hem pants too, possibly in store. So if they don't have length, they might be able to fix it. They are a little expensive though, but not too much more than what a basic golf polo is retailing for now. 

• Like 1

Lulu pants are great. They aren't cheap but they are multipurpose so your son could wear them to school, church, parties, whatever. They offer free hemming as well (at least in Canada but I assume the US as well). Buying "golf" pants means they will sit in the closet for 11 months of the year in TX. Lulu's can be worn year round for pretty much anything so definitely good bang for your buck

On 1/8/2024 at 11:41 AM, USMgolfer1 said:

if you buy certain "tech' type pants, they can be just fine.  I have a nephew with the same problem of the OP and Greyson joggers have been a hit for him.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:56 PM, NBowling11 said:

if you buy certain "tech' type pants, they can be just fine.  I have a nephew with the same problem of the OP and Greyson joggers have been a hit for him.

Greyson pants and joggers are no where near the quality or price of old navy and gap pants like the commenter I replied to

Ping G430 LST 7.5 Ventus TR Black 7X

Ping G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 8X

TM GAPR Lo 17° KBS Graphite X

Ping Blueprint S KBS C Taper S+

Ping S159 49/54/59

TT DG TI S400

Ping PLD 2D

11 hours ago, USMgolfer1 said:

Greyson pants and joggers are no where near the quality or price of old navy and gap pants like the commenter I replied to

If you dig a little, they are.  Almost always you can find 50% off codes if you search a little.  Makes Greyson cheaper than most cheaper brands.  

I've never been to Old Navy, so can't comment on that quality/price.  My mind went to Target.  I've been there with the wife(as I'm sure most have lol) and I've noticed they have decent quality in their line of clothing for golf...

Jack Archer

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Agree that Lululemon ABC pants are great, and I’ve also found CRZ Yoga Golf Pants on Amazon to be good. Very similar to Lulu at a lower price.  Definitely lesser quality, but more than fine for the price. 

Callaway Epic 10.5 - Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra F6 15.5 - Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra F6 Hybrid - Matrix HQ4
23* Srixon U65 - Nippon Modus Tour105 S
5-PW Srixon Z565 - Nippon Modus Tour105 S
50* Callaway MD3
54* and 58* Callaway PM Grind
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.5

Lululemon for a sportier look or H&B for a more formal / classic look.  Both companies stand by their products.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

On 1/27/2024 at 9:31 AM, iutodd said:

Old Navy Slim Tech Hybrid Performance Pants for men. 

They’re available in a 28x30 and right now they’re $32.99 - they’re slim fit and Old Navy has pretty slim slim. 

You can return them to store after ordering online. 

Agreed. I wear mine to golf & work. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:44 PM, Triple Putt said:

Agreed. I wear mine to golf & work. 

I have the slim and straight fit that I wear literally every day. I worked for Old Navy for 17 years but left the company a little over a year ago...these pants are the only thing I still buy there because they are just that good. Unreal value for that price. 

• Like 1