2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Do I NEED new irons or a psychiatrist? (titleist - ping - titleist)

Michael K

Now that I have your attention.

Im 38 with a 98-102 swing speed. Played down from a 9 to a 3.7 last year. and 13 to 9 the year before. Of the 10 3 strokes was course management, 3 strokes was short game technique and putting, and 4 strokes was ball striking and consistency. 

I'm not a club whore per see but I do think too often about the difference a degree on the clubs makes (usually at address). I don't swing that hard, I generally would prefer a straight lower boring flight (My tendency as an old baseball player is to throw the hips open and trail with the hands and increase dynamic loft with a high butter cut, but its gotten better) vs true workability. As a low handicapper, just give me a straight ball with consistent distance and that'll work on 15-16 holes a round to make par and position you for birdies.

2018: Callaway Apex Pro Forged 16 - too unforgiving, didn't play enough, too high lofts, was hitting 7 irons ~140-145

2020: everything on shortage so bought 718 AP3 - really liked the loft setup, happiest I've been distance wise. Adored the 48* AP3 gap wedge, it was my cheat code from 90 - 110. Hit the 7 iron 150-155. Wanted something forged and frankly I reached a life milestone and just wanted new clubs.

2022: got fit (t100/200, mizuno 223 etc) in to PIng i525 to max forgiveness. My play has drastically improved since. However, I do not like the spacing of the 8-9-W-U (35-40-45-50) as that spacing leaves some gaps, namely at 135 and 120 yards, which are quite common for a 250-270 driver playing 6700. (375-410 yard par 4s). The irons are forgiving but the shape is big but the gaps really are getting to me.

I played a resort course in Cancun with new T200s and just played lights out. I dusted off the 718 AP3s this fall as my regular clubs were at the course and I needed to play elsewhere. The T200s shape was much better and I liked the loft disparity and I liked the forged feel.

Theres a Titleist fitting at my club 2/23. Should I get T200s, T150s or bend my Pings 1* stronger in the 9-W, leaving the 50-54-58. of note I do have a 48* ap3, 50* ping, and vokeys 52-54-56-58-60 at home (SM8 and 9) and can blend the set. 

I stop and restart hearts

Rogue ST LS 10.5* - Tensei white
G425 15* - Tensei Orange
Rogue ST 21* Tensei Blue
T350 4i

T200 5-P

T150 48*

SM10 52-56

Newport 2

2 hours ago, Michael K said:

and can blend the set. 

There is no rule that every club has to match.  At one time, I built a bag and played damn good golf with it, that contained 6 different manufacturers.  Each club was selected because of how it performed on the course and for no other reason.  Give it some thought and maybe throw a Frankenstein bag together for a few rounds to see how it plays.

• Like 2

maybe

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

2 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

There is no rule that every club has to match.  At one time, I built a bag and played damn good golf with it, that contained 6 different manufacturers.  Each club was selected because of how it performed on the course and for no other reason.  Give it some thought and maybe throw a Frankenstein bag together for a few rounds to see how it plays.

Bernhard is that you?

• Haha 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I'm reading this and nodding along, as someone else who overthinks a ton, but I'm a bit puzzled about someone loving both i525 and t200.  I'd think they'd feel pretty different through the turf, but if it's not a problem for you, go you?

Maybe split the difference and see how G430s treat you?

Pay no mind to the loft, just the number on the sole says the marketing department.  

Was the 140 7 iron leaving you short putts also?   I’m thinking the shrink is the path.

Also get the new blueprints for the scoring end of the bag, your opponent will be quaking in his shoes before you even start.  That’s also psychiatry.  

Edited by 2Down
  • Haha 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

1) You probably need a psychologist, and not a psychiatrist...unless you think you need medication for your club desires

2) Do you need T150s? Let's just say there's some members here who THINK THEY ARE THE BEST CLUBS EVER!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

1) You probably need a psychologist, and not a psychiatrist...unless you think you need medication for your club desires

2) Do you need T150s? Let's just say there's some members here who THINK THEY ARE THE BEST CLUBS EVER!!!!!!

I’m not sure who that would be?? 😂 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Get the new T200, then wear them out. 

good to go! 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

On 1/20/2024 at 12:25 PM, Michael K said:

Now that I have your attention.

Im 38 with a 98-102 swing speed. Played down from a 9 to a 3.7 last year. and 13 to 9 the year before. Of the 10 3 strokes was course management, 3 strokes was short game technique and putting, and 4 strokes was ball striking and consistency. 

I'm not a club whore per see but I do think too often about the difference a degree on the clubs makes (usually at address). I don't swing that hard, I generally would prefer a straight lower boring flight (My tendency as an old baseball player is to throw the hips open and trail with the hands and increase dynamic loft with a high butter cut, but its gotten better) vs true workability. As a low handicapper, just give me a straight ball with consistent distance and that'll work on 15-16 holes a round to make par and position you for birdies.

2018: Callaway Apex Pro Forged 16 - too unforgiving, didn't play enough, too high lofts, was hitting 7 irons ~140-145

2020: everything on shortage so bought 718 AP3 - really liked the loft setup, happiest I've been distance wise. Adored the 48* AP3 gap wedge, it was my cheat code from 90 - 110. Hit the 7 iron 150-155. Wanted something forged and frankly I reached a life milestone and just wanted new clubs.

2022: got fit (t100/200, mizuno 223 etc) in to PIng i525 to max forgiveness. My play has drastically improved since. However, I do not like the spacing of the 8-9-W-U (35-40-45-50) as that spacing leaves some gaps, namely at 135 and 120 yards, which are quite common for a 250-270 driver playing 6700. (375-410 yard par 4s). The irons are forgiving but the shape is big but the gaps really are getting to me.

I played a resort course in Cancun with new T200s and just played lights out. I dusted off the 718 AP3s this fall as my regular clubs were at the course and I needed to play elsewhere. The T200s shape was much better and I liked the loft disparity and I liked the forged feel.

Theres a Titleist fitting at my club 2/23. Should I get T200s, T150s or bend my Pings 1* stronger in the 9-W, leaving the 50-54-58. of note I do have a 48* ap3, 50* ping, and vokeys 52-54-56-58-60 at home (SM8 and 9) and can blend the set. 

First, I do NOT think 1' difference is a noticeable issue.  My being clinically educated, that's where the psychiatrist is needed by a plenty of golfers, they overthink, especially during winter months. LOL   

I am the last person who should tell anyone to buy....  Currently, play new T200 2i and new T100 3i-9i, and 620 MB PW at 46'.  Have sets of T100s, 620 MB and 620 CB.  Golf is fun.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Gosh your story is so similar to mine. I'm about 10 years older, but over the past 10 or so years I've taken my handicap down from around 9 to a low of around 4.2. I've spent a lot of time in Ping G series irons the past 20 years because I've always just wanted to hit it high and straight. I too hit a slight fade and therefore low spin has never been a problem for me, I often get "drop and stop" results with a 7 iron out to 160-170. The last 3 years I played G425, i525 and last year i230. I just bought t200's a couple days ago.

One of my criticisms of the G400, G425 and the i525 was that I felt the loft spacing on the short end of the set wasn't always perfect. I usually had about 13 yards between clubs which felt right to me for my 100mph driver SS. But on the short end of the bag, multiple sets, I would usually get a 9 iron distance of about 150 and my PW distance was about 132 (set GW right at 120). As I studied GI irons vs more players irons I did see that a lot of the "players" irons were often 4* loft spacing in the 7-8-9-W range while the GI clubs often were 5*. It doesn't sound like much but it can add up. With some sets the difference between 7-P is 14.5* and others its 12. And like you said, I'm playing 6500ish yards a lot and I'm hitting a lot of 100-150 approaches so why not be a smidge tighter on my gaps between those scoring clubs. Lastly, being a little bit of a Ping homer and listening to a lot of the stuff they put out, I listened to a podcast with Marty Jertsen on it in 2023 and he was talking about the G430 lineup and he said that in the Arccos data for approach shots there is a little bit of a wave (think bell shaped curve) where people hit a lot of iron shots in the 130-150 range (don't quote the exact yardage I'm going off memory) so they decided to change the lofts on the G430's to 4* between each club 7 to P. 

Now my i230's have good loft gaps but my ego is too fragile to be giving up basically a full club. I know it shouldn't matter. The t200's are on the tighter side of gapping with 12.5*'s between 7 and P while still keeping a relatively strong 7 iron loft and a little tech to boost distance (and my ego).

Lastly, I'll say that I could go back to the G15's and shoot the same scores. I really don't think iron tech helps scoring as long as you have clubs that work for you. I'm secure enough where I can "waste" $400-800 (I'll sell my i230's) on some irons and I really enjoy the process of learning about new clubs, getting them on the course and figuring out the yardages, the feels, etc...  

I love my blades, I just bought another set of blades and plan on possibly buying a third set of blades. Yes, I have a problem. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

One thing I'd check is descent angle.  If it's around 48 degrees, you probably don't need new irons. 

If it's quite a bit lower than that and you're finding it difficult to hold greens with the lower iron flight you prefer, it may be worth a look at options to increase descent angle.

As for the gaps in your i525, have you played with adjusting the lofts on the set in a gapping session?

Edited by Binson

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

• 3 months later...

Thank you to all who commented. 

I did a titleist fitting and got fit into T200s. Really wanted the 150s but the T200s were more right. T350 4i worked better than the U505 utility. Loved the wedge fitting. 

Playing better, throwing more darts. Really enjoying the gapping now. And going from a 50 to a 48* AW has significantly helped, the T150 is a cheat code. Overall 43-48-52-56 fits my game much better than 45-50-54-58. Its only about 6 yards but I like the ball flight and just the way it sets up more

IMG_2373.jpg

• Like 1

I stop and restart hearts

Rogue ST LS 10.5* - Tensei white
G425 15* - Tensei Orange
Rogue ST 21* Tensei Blue
T350 4i

T200 5-P

T150 48*

SM10 52-56

Newport 2