Stay hydrated out there!

Damn man! That's crazy. Glad that you made it out ok. 

Not sure where you are, but the recent combination of temps and humidity in the Mid-Atlantic has been brutal. I felt like I might die walking up #18 on July 4th. Even with preparation and a lot of fluids, I didn't think I would make it. 

I can't stand riding, so until this weather breaks, I'm sticking to very early morning practice sessions and that's about it. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

8 minutes ago, jholz said:

Damn man! That's crazy. Glad that you made it out ok. 

Not sure where you are, but the recent combination of temps and humidity in the Mid-Atlantic has been brutal. I felt like I might die walking up #18 on July 4th. Even with preparation and a lot of fluids, I didn't think I would make it. 

I can't stand riding, so until this weather breaks, I'm sticking to very early morning practice sessions and that's about it. 

Its been truly awful. The 4th and 5th were the most uncomfortable rounds in years for me. I was hoping for a storm on that Friday so we'd have to quit but no luck. The 2 that played with us did quit after 9. 

OP, glad to hear you are ok! 

It can sneak up on you fast.  I happened upon a victim on the course myself years ago, probably the only life I have saved (by dialing 911). And that guy was elderly. 

• Like 1

In the last few summers I've had a few incidents. Nothing that warranted a call for an ambulance, but yeah, it's scary. 

In 2018 I was out playing 18 by myself on a hot day. I was pounding the waters, Gatorades, but still. I was getting ready to hit my shot in 18 fairway, and as I stood over it I felt light headed, my breathing was very labored, and my knees started to shake. I had to stop and just relax for a few minutes. There was no one behind me that day, and if I had passed out in the fairway I think it was a 50/50 chance that anyone would see or find me for a bit. Not a great situation to put myself in. 

I've had a few other similar incidents since. It does seem like I just cannot pound enough water and Gatorade on hot days. Per my physical therapist's recommendation, I have started drinking the LMNT hydration drinks a couple months ago. I usually only drink them when I know it's going to be a warm day on the course. So far, they seem to help. I'm planning on playing tomorrow, looks like high of 86 and very humid. So the LMNT drinks will be put to the test. 

Glad you're doing ok dude, please take care of yourself. 

Edited by Roody
  • Like 4

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Happened to me at a walking only member-guest last July and started to feel dizzy. Then got the spins and remember looking at the clubhouse and how far away it was and thinking "if I pass out now I'm a goner..." Was able to turn things around by missing a few holes and drinking a lot with wet towels on my head and neck. 

I'm 64 and on BP meds so spoke to the Dr. and he told me "no BP stuff until after you play and water, electrolytes and potassium the day before and during. Plus the obvious no alcohol.. I have a few years on you but my episode scared the hell out of me.

Now I play early in the summer and on the off chance I'm playing later on in the real heat I prep the day before and do the right things during. .

I do enjoy some swing lube but no longer if its hot. Too much at stake. Like you I have people out there who count on me so I got real as hell.

Good luck to you.

• Like 2

Been there. When I was younger heat was no issue, hell I'm from Memphis, it gets hot there. Well I went and got older and wow the lights nearly went out one 100* day. I figured out drinking numerous beers the night before a round in the heat is a big no no. Took me three days to feel human again. Now big time heat keeps me inside.

I typically don't play well in hot weather and hit a lull in my game by late June until fall... Definitely wear down in heat. Had a couple big matches this past week I HAD to play in the excessive heat. Couple key successes that kept my body feeling pretty good, all things considered, for anyone who cares:

-Nutrition the night before... a GOOD healthy full dinner (can be anything, just clean, stay away from oils other than olive and heavy sauce, grease etc.)

-Start pushing the water and hydration the night before, but not too much so you wake up multiple times middle of the night

-Water, electrolyte drinks all day leading up to round, lighter but clean breakfast. Fruits/Smoothie for additional water. (Fav's are Pedialyte, Smartwater, CORE)

-Take a cart (prefer to walk but not when its 95+)

-Bring a second large golf towel and wet it and drape it over your neck, and sometimes head, most holes when driving to your ball. Re wet with cold water when can.

-Take your hat off when riding, feel the breeze

-Sunscreen obviously

-Lightest shirt possible (Peter Millar Featherweight are the best IMO)

-Limit to 1 alcoholic drink per 9

-2 bottles of water on the go at all times in the console

-Bring electrolyte pack for the water, 1 each 9 (favs are Right Stuff, LMNT, Gatorlyte)

-Find shade whenever waiting if possible. Park in the shade, turn the cart in a direction so you get shade, stand under a tree. All that shade over the round adds up.

-EAT during the round. Beef jerky, dried fruit, light sandwich, mixed nuts. Just EAT. Snack every couple holes, at least something.

-NO antiperspirants. You're in the heat of battle, not out for dinner. Expect to stink and pour sweat like a hockey player.

Nutrition probably plays as much of a role of how the body reacts under stress, as much as the hydration. If you're doing the hydration right you should be needing to pee right before the round, and at the very least by the turn.

Honestly have felt really good, and played well through till the end of the round. Won several key holes late in both matches, when opponents maybe were getting tired. Wet towel made a surprisingly large difference.

Bonus: took an ice cold shower at the club 15 min before teeing off to cool the body and get through the first 3-4 holes : )

Enjoyed a second one after the round haha

Edited by jibbs1082
  • Like 4

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

Oh wow, glad to hear you’re okay OP! For me I drink about half my body weight in ounces of water on the daily. 
The heat here in the east bay of the SF Bay Area has been quite repressive (HEAT DOME!!!). Today we are looking at 103° F. Thankfully I (we) can drive about 20 minutes west and it’s in the 70s/80s. So all my golf in the last couple weeks has been out there. 

23 minutes ago, sheepdawg said:

Been there. When I was younger heat was no issue, hell I'm from Memphis, it gets hot there. Well I went and got older and wow the lights nearly went out one 100* day. I figured out drinking numerous beers the night before a round in the heat is a big no no. Took me three days to feel human again. Now big time heat keeps me inside.

I'm still trying to feel normal after Monday. Slowly but surely. It’s been hard to get food down. My appetite has been so messed up since Monday. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21° Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80

22° X Forged UT (23°) Graphite Design AD

RAZR MB w/ KBS $-Taper 4-PW (1° weak)

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F (51°), 56F, 60M (59°)

LAB Link

Jones Rover Stand Jet Black

its insane for New England lately, how humid it is. I'm bringing 2 large waters per 9 holes.

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood (HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX)

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 Degrees) 

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  Pro V1's or Yellow Callaway ERC Soft Triple Track (2023)

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

Glad you're ok.

The heat is really killer this past week. I was playing a round on Sunday and couldn't finish because I had the worst muscle cramps in my calf and shins on hole 15. Ended up not being up to walk and had to just ride back to the clubhouse.

Be safe out there, and stay hydrated!

I take a minimum dose of high BP medicine.  I have to stop it in the summer time. After walking 9 holes my blood pressure has been as low as 78/46, just this past Friday.  Humidity, heat and exercise will lower blood pressure.  Even fully hydrated it takes me 4 to 6 hours to recover from the low BP. 

Salt intake will allow your body to intake fluids.  Without the correct salt level the fluids will not absorb and just sits in your stomach.  Hydration starts the day before you play.  

We've stopped walking until the temps go down.  I hate riding but you have to when you're 69 and the feel temps are well over 100.

Edited by 596
  • Like 2

That's crazy man, glad you are OK now and recovering. Last Thursday I know I was very close to being in trouble like that. It was very hot here that day, and I am a welder/fabricator in a heavy equipment repair shop. So I wear full length cotton fire resistant coveralls all day and sweat like crazy. So I worked 8 hours and I was installing some large bushings into a wheel loader frame so I was using the big propane tiger torch all day heating bearing bores, drove home got cleaned up then went and walked 18 that evening, and it never really cooled down much. I was so drained and really zombie like by the end of it... I knew I was pushing it too far and could have nearly been in trouble. I did make sure to drink an absolute ton of water that day so that was probably all that saved me, never ate anything after my lunch at noon until around 930 when I got home from golf. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

1 hour ago, jibbs1082 said:

I typically don't play well in hot weather and hit a lull in my game by late June until fall... Definitely wear down in heat. Had a couple big matches this past week I HAD to play in the excessive heat. Couple key successes that kept my body feeling pretty good, all things considered, for anyone who cares:

-Nutrition the night before... a GOOD healthy full dinner (can be anything, just clean)

-Start pushing the water and hydration the night before, but not too much so you wake up multiple times middle of the night

-Water, electrolyte drinks all day leading up to round, lighter but clean breakfast. Fruits/Smoothie for additional water.

-Take a cart (prefer to walk but not when its 95+)

-Bring a second large golf towel and wet it and drape it over your neck, and sometimes head, most holes when driving to your ball. Re wet with cold water when can.

-Take your hat off when riding, feel the breeze

-Sunscreen obviously

-Lightest shirt possible (Peter Millar Featherweight are the best IMO)

-Limit to 1 alcoholic drink per 9

-2 bottles of water on the go at all times in the console

-Bring electrolyte pack for the water, 1 each 9

-Find shade whenever waiting if possible

-EAT during the round. Beef jerky, dried fruit, light sandwich, mixed nuts. Just EAT. Snack every couple holes, at least something.

-NO antiperspirants. You're in the heat of battle, not out for dinner. Expect to stink and pour sweat like a hockey player.

Honestly have felt really good, and played well through till the end of the round. Won several key holes late in both matches, when opponents maybe were getting tired. Wet towel made a surprisingly large difference.

Bonus: took an ice cold shower at the club 15 min before teeing off to cool the body and get through the first 3-4 holes : )

Enjoyed a second one after the round haha

I've lived in Arizona for over a decade, these are good tips.  Humidity is higher in the morning. The temps may be cooler, but don't underestimate the combination of humidity and sun exposure. Personally (and I've noticed it big time this year) playing 9 at 630 pm, 110, light breeze, no direct sunshine, low humidity is much more preferable to 630 am, where it's already 90, humidity is 30-40%, and the sun is already beating on you cause we don't time change. It's sticky, air is heavy, the ball doesn't roll out and the greens are slow.

TL;DR when it's hot, do your best to stay out of the sun.

Driver: Callaway Paradym AI 💨 💎💎💎 10.5 (-1, D): PX Denali Black 6.0

3wd: Ping G425 Max 14.5: Ventus TR Red 6s

7wd: Ping G425 Max 21.5: Ventus Blue 7s

4-5: Titleist T200 PX LZ 5.5, 6.0

6-P: Titleist T150 PX LZ 6.0

53: Edison KBS Tour

60: 🤷‍♂️ revolving wheel

Yeah, it hit 115 here recently... heat stroke is real! Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5
5w: TaylorMade SIM Max - 18
3H: Ping G425
Irons: Ping G425 (5i-UW)
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (52, 56, 60)
Putter: LAB DF3
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Tracking: Arccos

Glad you’re ok OP. I usually drink close to 2 gallons of water a day, but have recently figured out I need electrolytes too. Potassium has been a game changer.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

6 hours ago, Roody said:

In the last few summers I've had a few incidents. Nothing that warranted a call for an ambulance, but yeah, it's scary. 

In 2018 I was out playing 18 by myself on a hot day. I was pounding the waters, Gatorades, but still. I was getting ready to hit my shot in 18 fairway, and as I stood over it I felt light headed, my breathing was very labored, and my knees started to shake. I had to stop and just relax for a few minutes. There was no one behind me that day, and if I had passed out in the fairway I think it was a 50/50 chance that anyone would see or find me for a bit. Not a great situation to put myself in. 

I've had a few other similar incidents since. It does seem like I just cannot pound enough water and Gatorade on hot days. Per my physical therapist's recommendation, I have started drinking the LMNT hydration drinks a couple months ago. I usually only drink them when I know it's going to be a warm day on the course. So far, they seem to help. I'm planning on playing tomorrow, looks like high of 86 and very humid. So the LMNT drinks will be put to the test. 

Glad you're doing ok dude, please take care of yourself. 

I've been using LMNT packs for a few years and they help a lot. I also drink a ton of regular water throughout the day as well. The combination helps in the high humidity and temps in the Houston/Texas areas. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moostache said:

I've lived in Arizona for over a decade, these are good tips.  Humidity is higher in the morning. The temps may be cooler, but don't underestimate the combination of humidity and sun exposure. Personally (and I've noticed it big time this year) playing 9 at 630 pm, 110, light breeze, no direct sunshine, low humidity is much more preferable to 630 am, where it's already 90, humidity is 30-40%, and the sun is already beating on you cause we don't time change. It's sticky, air is heavy, the ball doesn't roll out and the greens are slow.

... It's been crazy summer here in Phoenix. We set a few records for heat but overall it was hotter last July without ever getting below 110* 29 out of 3 days. But what has been troubling is the due points which should be in the mid 40's but have been pretty constantly around 60* and it just feels much hotter. I play afternoons and prefer to have the temperature dropping as I am finishing playing and normally play to around 113* but again 113* with a dew point of 42* is very different than 113* and a dew point at 59*. So I haven't played in almost 2 weeks and finally the temps will drop below 110* Sunday and I can play again. 

... That said, I drink a full glass of water before going to sleep the night before, another glass immediately when I wake up and a glass before heading to the course and then 72oz while playing with another 32oz stainless steel bottle in the car for the drive home. And most importantly it has only happened a few times, but I am 71 and if I start feeling even a little flushed or the slightest bit dizzy, I leave the course and cool off at the clubhouse before driving home. 

And @mackepa I hope your recovery continues to go well 🥰 and thanks for the scary reminder to everyone that needed to read your message. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

How you take care of yourself the day prior is much more important than anything you can do retroactively.

Glad you're on the way back, @mackepa. Take good care of those little girls while you can; time is a thief.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

5 hours ago, mackepa said:

I'm still trying to feel normal after Monday. Slowly but surely. It’s been hard to get food down. My appetite has been so messed up since Monday. 

Trust me a hot day will never feel the same. I don't know if it messes with your head or it's something physical. Heat never bothered me but since then I won't mess with it. Thankfully I moved to the mountains of N. Georgia where it doesn't get over 90 near as often as Memphis.

Wow dude, that is serious stuff. I learned my lesson years ago when my Dad retired to Arizona. Played golf is Scottsdale whenever I visited him. 

"It's a dry heat" as they say. I can be 95* and you aren't even sweating. I almost passed out on a course once. Then I learned. 

Water is life.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Played in 115 degree weather in Vegas not long ago.  Honestly didn't feel that hot, but I spend a lot of time at 150 in the sauna.  Gotta keep the fluids up.  Not sure how my buddy was pounding beers.  Anyway played in 2:40 and had to wait a bit.  Only time all year the course has been cleared out.

Edited by StoutKing
spelling

i'd second the importance of electrolyte drinks (not just water). i'm a fan of liquid IV over LMNT just bc LMNT's sodium content is so high. if you have high blood pressure or are trying to watch your salt intake, liquid IV has half the sodium as LMNT.

https://thebalancednutritionist.com/lmnt-vs-liquid-iv/

image.png.04284f3340deca797f415d3f5aec52f1.png

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5
5w: TaylorMade SIM Max - 18
3H: Ping G425
Irons: Ping G425 (5i-UW)
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (52, 56, 60)
Putter: LAB DF3
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Tracking: Arccos

Glad to hear you were helped quickly and are on the road to recovery. I played 18 today and it was the hottest round I've played in this year for sure. I definitely felt it on the back 9. Luckily I knew the forecast and took the time to prep a lot of fluids. I've drank 6 liters of water and a 28 Oz Gatorade, still going to drink another liter tonight probably. Thanks to this conversation I'm also going to pick up some electrolyte powder. 

I've been lucky, I've felt the dizziness and some lightheadedness, but thankfully never got as bad as op, but I do need to take care of myself more.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

im glad u brought this subject up.  I am the worst offender of the rules of heat, I do love playing in the heat but I hate drinking water and I dont eat during or before my round. In addition I like to drink beer while playing and will drink more as it gets hotter in an attempt to quench my thirst.  From reading all the helpful tips, I am doing everything wrong and this year is the first time I ever felt the effects of heat.  I had a headache after the round and felt like crap the following week.  I knew the sun beat me up but I didnt realize it would linger for days after I rehydrated myself.  Im still going to drink a few beers but hydration is a must.  gong to load up on some electrolyte powder as well

Thank you to the OP for bringing this up and thank you everybody for your great tips !

• Like 3