Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

Lets get "real world"

I am a 4 and I have played with Christie Kerr, Michelle Wie and few lesser knowns when I have been a 3-6. If I was playing them for money I would want strokes or would lose most of the time, but not all of the time.

I was longer than Kerr by a club or two, Wie was closer to me, but both were way more accurate than I am and better games around the green. I **might** argue that I was better putter than Wie though.

I am a 'soft 4' though as my top 10 score can be pretty ugly, but when I get hot I can shoot par.

so, you're saying you would have a decent shot. Yes, if you were playing for money you would want strokes. Anyone would normally take strokes. But either way, you would win a few. It sounds as if you are the exact type of '4 hdcp' player I've been talking about in previous posts.

Lets get "real world"

I am a 4 and I have played with Christie Kerr, Michelle Wie and few lesser knowns when I have been a 3-6. If I was playing them for money I would want strokes or would lose most of the time, but not all of the time.

I was longer than Kerr by a club or two, Wie was closer to me, but both were way more accurate than I am and better games around the green. I **might** argue that I was better putter than Wie though.

I am a 'soft 4' though as my top 10 score can be pretty ugly, but when I get hot I can shoot par.

so, you're saying you would have a decent shot. Yes, if you were playing for money you would want strokes. Anyone would normally take strokes. But either way, you would win a few. It sounds as if you are the exact type of '4 hdcp' player I've been talking about in previous posts.

Geek, you're a big believer in playing the lottery, aren't you?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Lets get "real world"

Lol, when he gets hot he can shoot par. Those ladies he mentioned average under par as do all of the top 120 or so. Wie struggled for a couple years and was still better than the mythical wrx 4.

2bgood you sound like me. I've been as low as​ a +1 but now over 60 and fluctuate from 3-6. But I have no illusions that I can beat any of the top 150 with enough regularity to say that I can do it.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

If the 4 hc needs several ifs(if he has a good day, if the LPGAer has a bad day, if it's the 4hc home course, if, if,if) then I would argue that no the 4hc cannot beat the LPGAer.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Lets get "real world"

He's the 1953 Ben Hogan of Powerball.

This thread should have been titled: "is a four handicap male a comparable player to a bottom ranked LPGA tour pro. "

That's really the only way you can have a discussion/debate about it. Putting the word "can" in the title just makes for a ridiculous argument about what happens if this or what happens if that.

Still comes down to basically trying to handicap a match between two players. How much would you be willing to bet on this hypothetical match ?

Anyone taking the 4handicap doesn't understand math and wants to throw money away. Now if the question was: "could tournament only scratch male compete against the hundredth ranked player on the LPGA tour" then you can actually have A realistic debate. But a thread about a four handicap catching lightning in a bottle on the day when the LPGA tour pro rolled her ankle and I win the lottery in the morning and got hit by lightning in the afternoon really is pretty silly.

Oh sorry, I think I mentioned this 45 pages ago. I'll go away again

This thread should have been titled: "is a four handicap male a comparable player to a bottom ranked LPGA tour pro. "

That's really the only way you can have a discussion/debate about it. Putting the word "can" in the title just makes for a ridiculous argument about what happens if this or what happens if that.

Still comes down to basically trying to handicap a match between two players. How much would you be willing to bet on this hypothetical match ?

Anyone taking the 4handicap doesn't understand math and wants to throw money away. Now if the question was: "could tournament only scratch male compete against the hundredth ranked player on the LPGA tour" then you can actually have A realistic debate. But a thread about a four handicap catching lightning in a bottle on the day when the LPGA tour pro rolled her ankle and I win the lottery in the morning and got hit by lightning in the afternoon really is pretty silly.

Yes, most threads on wrx get silly if given time. Some it just happens sooner rather than later. I believe this one happened sooner and just keeps on rolling.

But yet, you keep coming back.

At no point in any post in this thread have I said that I'm above idiocy! LOL!

He's the 1953 Ben Hogan of Powerball.

:rolleyes: :clapping:

Don't get too excited. I think he meant you're attempting to come back from a crash! :)

Lets get "real world"

Lol, when he gets hot he can shoot par. Those ladies he mentioned average under par as do all of the top 120 or so. Wie struggled for a couple years and was still better than the mythical wrx 4.

2bgood you sound like me. I've been as low as​ a +1 but now over 60 and fluctuate from 3-6. But I have no illusions that I can beat any of the top 150 with enough regularity to say that I can do it.

Yes we sound about the same except I am a few years younger.

To be clear, when I say I could beat the lpga players I was more referring to the lesser knowns, but if I played with them every Saturday for a year I think I could win match play once or twice maybe.

If I could send out one of the guys I play with that is a +, I like his odds.

At no point in any post in this thread have I said that I'm above idiocy! LOL!

I epitomize idiocy and here I am, for like the 6/7th time, lmao

The only thing that I keep thinking of is that a 4~ can't even Play in the Championship flight of a Player's Club's Championship nor can one Play in any of our swats/money games(nor would they want to cuz ya plant the tee, Play your ball down and in with no strokes taken and none given, and the highest cap that you'd be competing against would be a scratch(.04~) former Tour Pro & Walker Cupper, lol).

This is an incredible thread!!

Thank you for allowing me to drop in, basically contribute nothing of value and amuse myself?

You Guys are the Best?

Always,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

am saying the set up on the LPGA tour is more difficult that the average 4 faces. Greens are faster and the pin positions are generally much more difficult on a whole than the set up at the local course than is trying to speed up play.

Not true at all based on what I've seen when the LPGA comes to town every year. Just typical set up for the course. Tees a mix of men's white and blues. Pin positions pretty typical for the course. Overall the local course they play on is one of the easier courses of the 8 courses within a small radius. The most challenging things on that course are the wind and bugs.

am saying the set up on the LPGA tour is more difficult that the average 4 faces. Greens are faster and the pin positions are generally much more difficult on a whole than the set up at the local course than is trying to speed up play.

Not true at all based on what I've seen when the LPGA comes to town every year. Just typical set up for the course. Tees a mix of men's white and blues. Pin positions pretty typical for the course. Overall the local course they play on is one of the easier courses of the 8 courses within a small radius. The most challenging things on that course are the wind and bugs.

Imo that would be an oddity on the lpga.

So where is the -4 male going to make up the strokes playing the +5 lady? That's 9 strokes and the pressure to go along with it. Where does this mythical -4 gain the advantage? Maybe outdriving the said female on occasion when he pures it? And what advantage is this really?

Great thread.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

So where is the -4 male going to make up the strokes playing the +5 lady? That's 9 strokes and the pressure to go along with it. Where does this mythical -4 gain the advantage? Maybe outdriving the said female on occasion when he pures it? And what advantage is this really?

Great thread.

Not the top ladies, number 140 or so. So in the neighborhood of +1 to +2 by most accounts.

Edit I know, I know. Still once in a blue moon .

Great thread.

Great thread.

Not the top ladies, number 140 or so. So in the neighborhood of +1 to +2 by most accounts.

Edit I know, I know. Still once in a blue moon .

Yes but who often do you play a guy a 4 or 5 stokes better than you are? How often do you beat them straight up? If you have play regularly with them I would expect you will win several times in a "blue moon" as blue moon occur eery 2-3 years. :taunt:

Imo that would be an oddity on the lpga.

I doubt it.

And your point is that this particular course set up doesn't strike fear into you or any 4 handicap male? So this means that the 4 is comparable to the LPGA touring pro?

What I think it means is kinda the same as it means on the World Men's Tours, that if the set up is easy the scores will be lower. Has nothing to do with the intrinsic different playing abilities of the men 4 and LPGA player. Yes, at some point as many have pointed out, with the right set up and the lightning on its way to the bottle, there could be a real competition between the two. But while this thread will likely never really end so long as golfwrx maintains this forum, it really is over. Still, it was a lot of fun seeing the analysis and some of the fine minds on this discussion board.

That was a response to a specific statement. A course isn't magically more difficult when the LPGA arrives than it is the rest of the time. Of the courses the LPGA could play on in my area they play on one of the easiest if not the easiest. Galloway National a mile down the road is an absolute beast compared to Seaview.

Lets get "real world"

Helen Keller is a better putter than Wie over the last few years.

A 4 handicap means on a fairly normal course the guy is shooting 75-79 or whatever as his good scores. That's maybe like a fairly benign 6500-6600yd course at the end of the day.

LPGA player would crush a 4 handicap

A top 100 LPGA player would most likely win our club championship and our course is 6700yds 75/140. The winning score is usually around +5. I think barring unusually poor play they would beat that. Or at least be the heavy favourite every year

The LPGA plays at Kingsmill every year, a course not to far from me. A friend of mine who is a scratch golfer (+2) just played in the PGA Asst championship there and shot 78. I think the worst players on the LPGA can do better than that.

A true +2 shooting 78 at kingsmill had a bad day........We used to play it from the same tees the LPGA played after the tournament, and had quite a few scores under par.

BUT, in an actual tournament, MOST 4's will not shoot their handicap.......

That was a response to a specific statement. A course isn't magically more difficult when the LPGA arrives than it is the rest of the time. Of the courses the LPGA could play on in my area they play on one of the easiest if not the easiest. Galloway National a mile down the road is an absolute beast compared to Seaview.

If that is at me I was referring to the setup, not the course rating/difficulty. The lpga course will usually be set up with more difficult pins, for example, than the course the 4 earned his handicap at. In addition, when I belonged to Moon Valley when the Phoenix event was held there it was much more difficult than the normal setup. The rough was grown for weeks and then groomed. The greens were double rolled each day and the pins were difficult. And Annika still shot 59. Not the lady pro we are all referring to but the setup was tough. So perhaps the event in your neighborhood is not groomed for the event but that is not the norm imo.

If that is at me I was referring to the setup, not the course rating/difficulty. The lpga course will usually be set up with more difficult pins, for example, than the course the 4 earned his handicap at. In addition, when I belonged to Moon Valley when the Phoenix event was held there it was much more difficult than the normal setup. The rough was grown for weeks and then groomed. The greens were double rolled each day and the pins were difficult. And Annika still shot 59. Not the lady pro we are all referring to but the setup was tough. So perhaps the event in your neighborhood is not groomed for the event but that is not the norm imo.

From what I read LPGA courses are getting easier and shorter perhaps to make the lower ranked players more competitive. There is a huge discrepancy between the top women players and the bottom ranked. Not saying a 4 is as good as a low ranked LPGA player but I think a genuine 4 on a good day will have a small chance especially if he is a long hitter. Maybe once every 20 rounds? Professional players will be stronger mentally so that would be the main advantage. The 4 will not be used to playing under that sort of pressure or situation.

I think, like the could a scratch/plus 2 thread, people are getting confused about how handicaps work.

The fact is, that if you are a 4 at a difficult course, the slope and rating will accommodate this, so you probably average 78-80 for your scoring rounds. If you play an easy par 70 short course with wide fairways, then you probably need to average 73-74 to get the same handicap. A big hitter who isn't capitalising on that in his handicap rounds enough to shoot in the par region or lower, will have deficiencies in his short game that won't go away when he plays an LPGA player.

I watched a few of the ladies at the HSBC in Singapore. As a 6 handicap, I would say that Minjee (for example) is probably beating me by 5 strokes a side (in my dream). No way that on a normalised average day, a 4 handicap gets within 3-4 stroles of a decent LPGA pro, if they are both playing their A games. Now if she is on her Z game and he catches lightning, then of course your 4HCP can win.....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

You seem to be assuming that all 4-handicaps play goat track munis that don't have fast greens and tough pin locations.

Huh? A four is a four is a four. 'Doesn't matter if they're long or short hitting. Doesn't matter if they play easy courses or hard courses. If the HC system is doing its job, this all evens out. A long hitting 4 HC will obviously have a worse short game than a short hitting four.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0