UPDATED VIDEO & PICS: Nike Covert Drivers, Woods & Irons

HipCheck

[quote name='mctrees02' timestamp='1352209629' post='5898193']
[quote name='leet74' timestamp='1352208826' post='5898147']
theres absolutley No Way your gonna see Rory or Tiger gaming that on TV
[/quote]wanna bet on it?
[/quote]
I doubt Tiger and Rory will bag this. This is the replacement of the VR_S line...They are keeping the VR and the VR_S seperate, aren't they? The VR Pro LE came out at the end of last year, right? My guess is their speed line and pro line are on different two year cycles, and if that is the case, Rory and Tiger will both end up with the VR Pro LE. Just my guess...

On the other side of it, though. Rory does stand for Red King, so him and Tiger can battle it out for Red Supremacy! So the Victory Red line fits well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='crawdaddy' timestamp='1352212573' post='5898391']
[i]Oh my God! I just threw up a little in my mouth after seeing these. How can everyone say such positive things about these? This is one of the ugliest lines I have ever seen. Coming to Dick's and Sports Authority nearest you![/i]
[/quote]
The same was said about some company who made a white headed driver...look what happened with that?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352212401' post='5898379']
[quote name='tpmillsfan72' timestamp='1352211761' post='5898327']
Hybrids and fairway will add a lot of choice for [b]the better player [/b]based on the adjustable loft. The GI Irons aren't bad either!!!
[/quote]
And the higher handicap as well...
[/quote]

See, to me, it's just one more thing for bad players to obsess over. They already are going to be poor drivers of the golf ball, and probably even worse with a fairway wood off the deck or a lower lofted hybrid. Changing for 14* to 16* isn't going to help them much. It's just going to be constantly putting a new band-aid on a problem. Hitting it left, open the face angle-- now overcompensating and hitting it right, close the face angle. I think it's just going to promote a vicous cycle of never fixing the real problem.

[quote name='brentk14' timestamp='1352212830' post='5898411']
[/quote]wanna bet on it?
[/quote]
I doubt Tiger and Rory will bag this. This is the replacement of the VR_S line...They are keeping the VR and the VR_S seperate, aren't they? The VR Pro LE came out at the end of last year, right? My guess is their speed line and pro line are on different two year cycles, and if that is the case, Rory and Tiger will both end up with the VR Pro LE. Just my guess...
[/quote]
If they perform better with it, don't bet on it.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352212906' post='5898423']
[i]Oh my God! I just threw up a little in my mouth after seeing these. How can everyone say such positive things about these? This is one of the ugliest lines I have ever seen. Coming to Dick's and Sports Authority nearest you![/i]
[/quote]
The same was said about some company who made a white headed driver...look what happened with that?
[/quote]

Oh yea...plus I'm pretty sure they picked a terrible name for a subsequent product line, yet sold a few of those too...

[quote name='brentk14' timestamp='1352212830' post='5898411']
[/quote]wanna bet on it?
[/quote]
[/quote]

All of this is incorrect.

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1352212989' post='5898429']
"This is a completely new concept, and for these guys to move right into the new driver is impressive."

Money talks.
[/quote]

I can assure you that they were in no way obligated to but the new club straight into their bags...

Oh, and per Golf Channel add J. Vegas to the list of Covert Converts...

[quote name='bk4' timestamp='1352212970' post='5898425']
Hybrids and fairway will add a lot of choice for [b]the better player [/b]based on the adjustable loft. The GI Irons aren't bad either!!!
[/quote]
[/quote]

See, to me, it's just one more thing for bad players to obsess over. They already are going to be poor drivers of the golf ball, and probably even worse with a fairway wood off the deck or a lower lofted hybrid. Changing for 14* to 16* isn't going to help them much. It's just going to be constantly putting a new band-aid on a problem. Hitting it left, open the face angle-- now overcompensating and hitting it right, close the face angle. I think it's just going to promote a vicous cycle of never fixing the real problem.
[/quote]
OK, now you touched a nerve...

Some of us, like me, cannot turn their hands over fast enough to release the head. If something gives me that extra half second's worth of help, I'm going to take it. Some have physical limitations (again, like me) to allow them to make that move. Not everyone out there is looking to go pro. Some of us will take our poor driving out to the course for 4 hours to actually want to have fun and enjoy the round without having to think about the 10 swing thoughts in our head in order to make a half decent swing. Taking the time to get fit for this driver (or any driver for that matter) will get the proper settings in order to keep the ball in play. You had a stable of Callaway pros put the Razr Fit in play, with setting adjustments and all, and I think they were pretty successful with it. Remember, no OEM isn't going to make everything for someone who claims to use X flex shafts and 7 degrees of loft. They have to make things not only for their pros, but for guys and gals who like to go the local muni to beat the ball around. Remember, golf is hard. It's their job to help make it a bit easier.

/rant over.

I'm interested in how this performs. Those pictures a few pages back suggest somewhat of a radical design- perhaps there is something to it...

That said, I'm a bit surprised its not being offered in black/dark grey. I'm fairly certain I could deal with all the swooshes but the red crown, to me, is just awful...

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1352212640' post='5898401']
[quote name='ACArms' timestamp='1352207563' post='5898089']
[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1352207166' post='5898081']
[quote name='ACArms' timestamp='1352207025' post='5898071']
Nike claims this is the worlds first cavity back driver. The are sadly mistaken. [url="http://www.nassaugolf.com/cavity.html"]http://www.nassaugolf.com/cavity.html[/url]
[/quote]

No. You are mistaken at what their claim is. You left out a few words.
[/quote]

So by adding the words "HIGH SPEED" makes their claim legitimate?
[/quote]

To be fair to the claim, yes. It's not rocket science. Well, actually it almost is.
[/quote]

I agree with most things you say, but not even close to rocket science.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Except for driver (and maybe a 3w) my bag is set. These look great and can't wait to try them.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='ACArms' timestamp='1352207025' post='5898071']
Nike claims this is the worlds first cavity back driver. The are sadly mistaken. [url="http://www.nassaugolf.com/cavity.html"]http://www.nassaugolf.com/cavity.html[/url]
[/quote]

That thing is gawd awful ugly. Like a special kind of ugly.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352212906' post='5898423']
[/quote]
[/quote]

ZING!!!

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1352213456' post='5898465']
[quote name='bk4' timestamp='1352212970' post='5898425']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
OK, now you touched a nerve...

Some of us, like me, cannot turn their hands over fast enough to release the head. If something gives me that extra half second's worth of help, I'm going to take it. Some have physical limitations (again, like me) to allow them to make that move. Not everyone out there is looking to go pro. Some of us will take our poor driving out to the course for 4 hours to actually want to have fun and enjoy the round without having to think about the 10 swing thoughts in our head in order to make a half decent swing. Taking the time to get fit for this driver (or any driver for that matter) will get the proper settings in order to keep the ball in play. You had a stable of Callaway pros put the Razr Fit in play, with setting adjustments and all, and I think they were pretty successful with it. Remember, no OEM isn't going to make everything for someone who claims to use X flex shafts and 7 degrees of loft. They have to make things not only for their pros, but for guys and gals who like to go the local muni to beat the ball around. Remember, golf is hard. It's their job to help make it a bit easier.

/rant over.
[/quote]

Agree 100%. Not only is the technology going to help average and recreational golfers, but who says the same technology can't help Touring Professionals? Just because something is considered "game improvement" or is designed to make the game even fractionally easier for those that play at an amateur level doesn't mean that it also can't make the game easier for Professionals.

I for one am loving the idea of having a 13* 3 wood all the way through a 17* 4 wood in one club. How can anyone be against the idea of being able to change loft of ONE club to fit the layout or conditions of a particular golf course on any given day?

And if Nike was real slick, they would have used "ONE Loft" to keep in line with their golf balls/ONE theme from years past rather than "Flex Loft", but that's nitpicking. Can't wait to hit/own these.

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

[b][size=6][color=#FF0000]RED is my favorite color.[/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=6][size=3]Nike may have a winner with this...........look out 913D....the challenge is on.[/size][/size][/b]

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='kbgoon' timestamp='1352214690' post='5898551']
[quote name='fredstar' timestamp='1352189133' post='5897819']
[quote name='wick_dawg' timestamp='1352188651' post='5897817']
[quote name='Mustng5' timestamp='1352162091' post='5896213']
I would buy tomorrow!
[/quote]

Do you hit them well?
[/quote]

Who cares?! LOL
[/quote]

haha... love this site! :taunt:
[/quote]
This sums it up! :)

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1352214611' post='5898549']
[b][size=6][color=#ff0000]RED is my favorite color.[/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=6][size=3]Nike may have a winner with this...........look out 913D....the challenge is on.[/size][/size][/b]
[/quote]
Mine too. Totally marketing, but I trust my clubmaker to make it do it's thing. Yes, getting fit is important whether it has a hosel or adjustability.

[quote name='kbgoon' timestamp='1352214690' post='5898551']
[quote name='fredstar' timestamp='1352189133' post='5897819']
[quote name='wick_dawg' timestamp='1352188651' post='5897817']
[quote name='Mustng5' timestamp='1352162091' post='5896213']
I would buy tomorrow!
[/quote]

Do you hit them well?
[/quote]

Who cares?! LOL
[/quote]

haha... love this site! :taunt:
[/quote]

You can get fit into any driver these days, clearly, loft and shaft combination. Notice how pros with all different types of swings play the same driver just different shafts and loft. Technology is getting better and better.

I like what I'm seeing. Not sure if I'm in for the fairways or hybrids just cause the 910F & H are too good for me but the driver is in the running. I'm going to be auditioning drivers next spring to see if anything can replace my 910D3. So far the Covert and 913 are on the list. I'm not sure there's room for TMAG at this point.

BTW...did we ever find out who hit the 180mph ball speed shot from the teaser video? If it's one of the high swing speed folks (Tiger, Rory, Watney, etc) then I'll level set my expectations and assume I'll get the same performance out of the Covert that I will out of the 913/910. If it's Cink then the Covert will definitely get some serious testing time cause that will mean there is some real new technology behind it that will help me.

Interesting design.....my guess is that the majority of gofers had better set the head on the highest loft, because it sure seems to be a high CG head.

I do not care for the big white swoosh being so visible on the crown, nor the two white bottom groove lines against the black face at first glance. Stands out to much to me, but then maybe I am just use to a top line to line er up.

The color is fine and I like the look of the depth of the driver face, but that is about it for me. For me, Nike clubs has always been way down the list and this really will not push it too much higher, but I am glad to see that the Nike core is excited and looking forward to this release. It's always great to see new releases no matter whom it is from. It drives the game and other OEM's and this is always a good thing for us Golfers.

Last, I get a chuckle at all the comments directed at TM as I normally do. This is a NIke thread yet there was much reference to how TM is now in trouble and shaking in their boots. First, why even mention TM? Second, their not shaking in their boots.

Guys, enjoy the new toys......gotta love WRX bringing Christmas early all the time to us no matter what OEM you look forward to seeing the most.

An interesting tidbit.

Adjusting the loft from 8.5 to 12.5 will only have an effect on lie angle of 1/4 of a degree. Face angle will have zero effect on lie angle.

Which means that when you make an adjustment, all other variables remain the same. With other systems, you have a bit of a moving target, as one adjustment effects some other factors.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1352213152' post='5898447']
[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1352212989' post='5898429']
"This is a completely new concept, and for these guys to move right into the new driver is impressive."

Money talks.
[/quote]

I can assure you that they were in no way obligated to but the new club straight into their bags...

Oh, and per Golf Channel add J. Vegas to the list of Covert Converts...
[/quote]

Hmmm. I can assure that they weren't obligated to do it immediately. But they were obligated to do it.

earlier someone mentioned they threw up when they saw this.........i think Nike just threw up on every other manufacturer and kicked them in the nuts at the same time - must have been lots of overtime at the oven this past year; Nike kept it relatively silent too. just tons and tons of technology released to us last night - be interesting to see how the other companies respond. a new benchmark has been established.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1352215723' post='5898639']

Last, I get a chuckle at all the comments directed at TM as I normally do. This is a NIke thread yet there was much reference to how TM is now in trouble and shaking in their boots. First, why even mention TM? Second, their not shaking in their boots.

[/quote]

I think it is a testament to the dominance of TM. They set out 15 years ago to be number one in every segment, and they have come close to achieving that everywhere except the ball market.

That said, if you don't think that TM is taking notice, then you are mistaken. Nike is the one, above all others, that have the worldwide brand recongnition that could take a significant bite out of TM's market share. Further, and maybe most importantly, they have the resources to grow at a pace that most other manufactures simply cannot match.

It is easy to forget where TM was when Adidas purchased them.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1352215723' post='5898639']
Interesting design.....my guess is that the majority of gofers had better set the head on the highest loft, because it sure seems to be a high CG head.

I do not care for the big white swoosh being so visible on the crown, nor the two white bottom groove lines against the black face at first glance. Stands out to much to me, but then maybe I am just use to a top line to line er up.

The color is fine and I like the look of the depth of the driver face, but that is about it for me. For me, Nike clubs has always been way down the list and this really will not push it too much higher, but I am glad to see that the Nike core is excited and looking forward to this release. It's always great to see new releases no matter whom it is from. It drives the game and other OEM's and this is always a good thing for us Golfers.

Guys, enjoy the new toys......gotta love WRX bringing Christmas early all the time to us no matter what OEM you look forward to seeing the most.
[/quote]
I don't think ANY OEM is shaking in their boots competition wise. They are ALL shaking in their boots when it comes to limited disposable cash when it comes to equipment purchases. This is what they are all competing for. Each OEM is bringing the wood this year in order to take as much of that limited money out of our pockets.

That is a good thing for the consumer. Reasonably priced technology. What a concept. :D