#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Comments

• bruinsPATSirishbruinsPATSirish Golf is hard. Members Posts: 6,429
    proamateur wrote:

Are there any photos of the used MD Forged wedges in this thread? Or will someone post them? Interested to see how the finishes, particularly the slate, hold up after use. Level of rust, colour loss etc.

Our rep had a used set with him that was worn in real well. Good solid raw rust layer and very uniform wear. I am probably gonna pick some up, I loved them they looked awesome
    bruinsPATSirish WITB!
    Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
    Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
    Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 948 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 10, 2017 #1833
    thaar wrote:

Wow, I finally got through this entire thread. I can only echo what so many people have said thus far. Great reviews by all - I'm not sure you could have selected a better group for this trip. Thank you all for taking time to share your experience, and answer everyone's questions. It has certainly been eye opening and refreshing to see a company have so much love for what they do, while also putting the consumer first.

I haven't considered Callaway in years, and really, for no good reason overall. Reading about the fantastic people they employ, the passion they have for the game, the freedom they're extended to R&D new equipment to attempt to revolutionize the game, and their excellent customer service certainly has made me excited about them as a company. I'll be heading to the store in the near future to check out their new line. I'm particularly interested to see how my 913D2 stacks up against the Epic.

I was the same as you. I hadn't used a Callaway club since the FT Tour. The new woods are GREAT. The irons are good. The new wedges suit my eye perfectly and if there isn't an odyssey putter that works for you then you should probably find a new hobby.

All of that aside the biggest thing I took away from the experience was the people who work for Callaway are fantastic. They love the game and it seemed to actually mean something to them seeing us have so much fun.

Whether or not I play a full Callaway bag in the future I will always be a Callaway fan because of the people.
  • PhilippPhilipp Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Did any of you Epic Trip guys ask Callaway why they would refuse to change SW and/or offer different weights?
  • WaterboyWaterboy #TheWRX Members Posts: 1,294 ✭✭
    Philipp wrote:

Did any of you Epic Trip guys ask Callaway why they would refuse to change SW and/or offer different weights?

Wasn't discussed. I did hear that with the Epic if you go shorter, callaway will put a second weight in the rear track to get SW back up.
    Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
    Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

WITB:
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
    Callaway BBA 5 Wood
    Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
    Apex Hybrid 23deg
    Apex Pro 5i-PW
    MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
    MD3 60 PM Grind
    Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)
  • TM_HOYERTM_HOYER Members Posts: 2,206 ✭✭
    Waterboy wrote:

Philipp wrote:

Wasn't discussed. I did hear that with the Epic if you go shorter, callaway will put a second weight in the rear track to get SW back up.

There is a video on Callaway's web site that shows the custom build process in Mexico. It is basically an assembly line for custom orders. It is not a tour van build where they take the time to build it to exact details. For that detail of a build, you would need to have the experience the Epic 8 had or go to a custom fitter like Club Champion.
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 driver w/ Tensei AX 65 Regular
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood w/ Fujikura Pro 72 Green Regular
    Callaway Epic 5 & 7wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
    Callaway Apex 19 5 - AW irons w/ Project X Catalyst 60 Regular
    Callaway MD4 56 & 60 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
    Toulon Design Atlanta
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 2,859 ✭✭
    Brizam wrote:

thaar wrote:

Wow, I finally got through this entire thread. I can only echo what so many people have said thus far. Great reviews by all - I'm not sure you could have selected a better group for this trip. Thank you all for taking time to share your experience, and answer everyone's questions. It has certainly been eye opening and refreshing to see a company have so much love for what they do, while also putting the consumer first.

I haven't considered Callaway in years, and really, for no good reason overall. Reading about the fantastic people they employ, the passion they have for the game, the freedom they're extended to R&D new equipment to attempt to revolutionize the game, and their excellent customer service certainly has made me excited about them as a company. I'll be heading to the store in the near future to check out their new line. I'm particularly interested to see how my 913D2 stacks up against the Epic.

I was the same as you. I hadn't used a Callaway club since the FT Tour. The new woods are GREAT. The irons are good. The new wedges suit my eye perfectly and if there isn't an odyssey putter that works for you then you should probably find a new hobby.

All of that aside the biggest thing I took away from the experience was the people who work for Callaway are fantastic. They love the game and it seemed to actually mean something to them seeing us have so much fun.

Whether or not I play a full Callaway bag in the future I will always be a Callaway fan because of the people.

Excellent post. I feel the same way. They went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. They all seem to love working for Callaway and take pride in the products and customer service they provide
    Callaway Epic SZ, 9*
    Callaway Epic 15*, 18*
    Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*
    Callaway Steelhead XR, 5-AW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54F, 58K
    Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    thaar wrote:

Thanks for the kind words!

Please let us know how the Epic works for you versus your 913D2.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Dscvrr St LouisDscvrr St Louis #CALLAWRX 12/12/12 & HOGAN Ft Worth ClubWRX Posts: 5,395 ✭✭
    Philipp wrote:

To be fair, no OEM builds to a requested SW, except Ping if you pay for it. They try to build to Web Site specs at best, or maybe use small tip weights to get the set consistent, but not a specific weight. Always a bummer for me working at Big Box for 6 years that couldn't get it heavier if needed. No issue now where I work, have guys that build to my client's specs all day!!
    Callaway Rogue SZ 8.0(9.0-N/-1), XPHLEXXX Agera Red Stripe Stiff, Veylix Rome 788, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Veylix 888 FM4 Matte Black, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 Hybrid 20*(Set to 19*)Veylix Rome 988 S
    Callaway X Forged 2017/Apex MB 2017 Modus 3 Tour 120 X
    Toulon Garage Long Island, Tad Moore Seve TM2(2017), Piretti Potenza Tour Only, Tad Moore TM4(2018), Tad Moore TM7 JV(1992), Ping ZB Vault 2.0
    Callaway MD4 54/58 Modus 3 125 Wedge/ Vega 50/54/58 Modus 125 Limited Blue

WITB Link
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,236 ✭✭

Philipp wrote:

To be fair, no OEM builds to a requested SW, except Ping if you pay for it. They try to build to Web Site specs at best, or maybe use small tip weights to get the set consistent, but not a specific weight. Always a bummer for me working at Big Box for 6 years that couldn't get it heavier if needed. No issue now where I work, have guys that build to my client's specs all day!!

Actually Ping will do it for free when you are initially purchasing irons. And yes for a fee after the fact.
    Ping G400 8.5 LST Kuro Kage XT 60TX
    Ping G 14.5 Fujikura VC TS 7.3x
    Ping G410 2 Crossover Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50 SS, 54 SS, 58ES PX 6.5
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne 4, Black Stealth Shaft, PP58
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • PhilippPhilipp Posts: 310 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2017 #1841

Philipp wrote:

If you order a Titleist driver 1/2" short then they pop in a heavier weight to get back the stock SW and you're good to go.

It's no rocket science...
  • Dscvrr St LouisDscvrr St Louis #CALLAWRX 12/12/12 & HOGAN Ft Worth ClubWRX Posts: 5,395 ✭✭
    Philipp wrote:

Philipp wrote:

If you order a Titleist driver 1/2" short then they pop in a heavier weight to get back the stock SW and you're good to go.

Not rocket science, but most oems don't take a swing weight request at all. so you are either buying the weight somewhere or looking for it after the fact. They just don't have the man power to build every set to specific swing weights. Drivers can be easier with hot melt or lead tape but the OEM's don't go out of their way to usually do it. seems like Callaway is at least doing something to try and get it more on point. Not everyone has access to the weights that the OEM's use to tailor to the pro's or even the weights that the fitters have access to sometimes.

Basically if want to get a certain SW for a set of irons or driver, you are on your own 90% of the time.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 8.0(9.0-N/-1), XPHLEXXX Agera Red Stripe Stiff, Veylix Rome 788, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Veylix 888 FM4 Matte Black, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 Hybrid 20*(Set to 19*)Veylix Rome 988 S
    Callaway X Forged 2017/Apex MB 2017 Modus 3 Tour 120 X
    Toulon Garage Long Island, Tad Moore Seve TM2(2017), Piretti Potenza Tour Only, Tad Moore TM4(2018), Tad Moore TM7 JV(1992), Ping ZB Vault 2.0
    Callaway MD4 54/58 Modus 3 125 Wedge/ Vega 50/54/58 Modus 125 Limited Blue

WITB Link
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,236 ✭✭

Philipp wrote:

Philipp wrote:

Not rocket science, but most oems don't take a swing weight request at all. so you are either buying the weight somewhere or looking for it after the fact. They just don't have the man power to build every set to specific swing weights. Drivers can be easier with hot melt or lead tape but the OEM's don't go out of their way to usually do it. seems like Callaway is at least doing something to try and get it more on point. Not everyone has access to the weights that the OEM's use to tailor to the pro's or even the weights that the fitters have access to sometimes.

Basically if want to get a certain SW for a set of irons or driver, you are on your own 90% of the time.

But also to note most if not all manufactures have 3 different heads they use that very in weight. The use the lighter for extended length clubs and heavier for shorter than standard.

Ping adjusts the weight in the tuning port to get as close to stock weight at a specified length as possible.
    Ping G400 8.5 LST Kuro Kage XT 60TX
    Ping G 14.5 Fujikura VC TS 7.3x
    Ping G410 2 Crossover Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50 SS, 54 SS, 58ES PX 6.5
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne 4, Black Stealth Shaft, PP58
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
    Box showed up today. My slate wedges!!!!!

253f87a53484bea3f0cdb7f902d9d8b9.jpg

2290c236ffb5ff5bb6d6a73378bb1b84.jpg
  • Sick Wedges!
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Brizam wrote:

253f87a53484bea3f0cdb7f902d9d8b9.jpg

Very, very nice!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • youngunz5840youngunz5840 Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭
    Oh my! Those wedges look perfect to me. Callaway is going to be taking a lot of money from me this year.
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Members Posts: 2,846 ✭✭
    those wedges look awesome, did u demo
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]

those wedges look awesome, did u demo

Ummmmmm yes....... #theWRX

They didnt have any of the slate heads when they built our clubs out there, so they sent these to me once they became available.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,242 ClubWRX
    like the blue paint fill, looks sharp, nice wedges.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
    Warrick wrote:

I agree, I like the blue much more than the green from the previous line.
  • TM_HOYERTM_HOYER Members Posts: 2,206 ✭✭
    Brizam wrote:

Warrick wrote:

I agree, I like the blue much more than the green from the previous line.

Absolutely beautiful looking wedges. Make sure you hit them as good as they look.
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 driver w/ Tensei AX 65 Regular
    Callaway Epic 3+ wood w/ Fujikura Pro 72 Green Regular
    Callaway Epic 5 & 7wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
    Callaway Apex 19 5 - AW irons w/ Project X Catalyst 60 Regular
    Callaway MD4 56 & 60 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
    Toulon Design Atlanta
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,505 ✭✭
    Nice looking wedges! They could of left the chevron symbol off and just have the Callaway chevron on the toe.

Will the slate rust? I hope so!
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • hef63303hef63303 Members Posts: 2,857 ✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

Nice looking wedges! They could of left the chevron symbol off and just have the Callaway chevron on the toe.

Yes, the slate will rust.
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,505 ✭✭
    hef63303 wrote:

GC70 wrote:

Yes, the slate will rust.

YES!
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • thaarthaar Best 3-putter in town! Members Posts: 953 ✭✭
    Brizam wrote:

Drooooool. Those are ****!
    Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
    Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
    Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
    Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
    Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
    Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
    Edel E-1
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Members Posts: 2,846 ✭✭
    the blue is a big improvement and i really like the straight leading edge and slightly less offset the md3
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • WesPWesP Members Posts: 237 ✭✭
    **** those wedges look amazing...may be time to switch back
    Financial Advisor (PM me)

Driver: Epic SZ 9*. Fuji Tour Spec VC 7.2 X + Tensei Orange V2 TX
    Fairway Wood: Epic SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Black 6.5 85g (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC 8.2 or Atmos Black 80 TX)
    Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC)
    Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110
    Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52
    Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

2015 Evo X (Full Bolt Ons)
    2017 Jeep Wrangler

the blue is a big improvement and i really like the straight leading edge and slightly less offset the md3

Exactly why I went with these. As soon as I saw them i knew they were the ones I wanted
  • coreyhrcoreyhr Lafferty, Daniel Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseam... but did you guys find that the SZ fairway was pretty easy to elevate? I'm trying to decide between the 15* and 13.5*. I know I can turn the 15 down some, but if I"m gonna be getting close to 13.5 anyway, I'd just assume the shaft graphics be in the standard loft.
    Callaway Epic TC...L  9* - Tour AD TP 6s 
    Callaway XR Pro TC 14* - Diamana D+ Limited 80s
    Callaway XR Pro TC 18* Hybrid - Tour AD DI 95x
    Srixon Z545 4 Iron - Steelfiber i110s
    Srixon Z745 5-PW - KBS Tour 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50*
    Scratch 56* & 60* - Black KBS Tour Custom
    Odyssey O-Works Red V-Line Fang CH

The sea was angry that day, my friends.
  • therealjonzonetherealjonzone Members Posts: 2,275 ✭✭
    coreyhr wrote:

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseam... but did you guys find that the SZ fairway was pretty easy to elevate? I'm trying to decide between the 15* and 13.5*. I know I can turn the 15 down some, but if I"m gonna be getting close to 13.5 anyway, I'd just assume the shaft graphics be in the standard loft.

Shaft graphics doesn't change with the Callaway adapters.....
This discussion has been closed.