PXG - It's About Time to give them a try

Comments

• matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,072 ✭✭
    And not giving Bob Parsons money wins you karma. Well done.
  • BigHook25BigHook25 Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭
    I'm all for giving them a chance, but go get fitted if you can. I tried PXG individually at first and although they felt nice (they still do) and I thought they were great, I had 3 other sets of irons that beat them in ball speed, dispersion, and spin. I ended up with Mizuno 900 forged which look great and the numbers were so much better. It was worth $150 fitting cost to save me the extra $1,500 or so that I would have paid more for the the PXG. Don't get me wrong, I like the irons, but for me the value wasn't there.
  • BlazinPondBlazinPond Huge gear guy, subpar golfer Maple Grove, MNMembers Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Just bought a set myself.

PXG 0311 w/ UST Recoil Prototype F5 to compare against my Titleist T-MB w/ same shafts.

I look forward to comparing.
    2019 WITB
    Titleist TS3 9.5* (Tour AD BB 6S)
    Titleist TS3 15* (Tour AD BB 7S)
    Titleist TS3 18* (Tour AD BB 7S)
    Titleist TS2 21* (Tour AD BB 8S)
    PXG GEN2 / 0311T Gen2 irons
    PXG 0311t 50.10* Sugar Daddy
    Miura Tour Wedge 55*
    PXG 0311t 60.07* ZULU 

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,171 ClubWRX
    BlazinPond wrote:

PXG 0311 w/ UST Recoil Prototype F5 to compare against my Titleist T-MB w/ same shafts.

Did you not go for a fitting? You could take your clubs with you and you'd know how they compared before ordering.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 4-pw <br />Vokey 50f/56m/60m wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • BlazinPondBlazinPond Huge gear guy, subpar golfer Maple Grove, MNMembers Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited Jan 13, 2018 #36
    bogeypro wrote:

BlazinPond wrote:

Did you not go for a fitting? You could take your clubs with you and you'd know how they compared before ordering.

No. I enjoy doing the fitting myself in the comfort of my own home.

Plus it's winter here in Michigan and I need a winter hobby.

I also needed to justify my new home simulator w/ Foresight Quad launch monitor and club fitting software.

Plus, I wanted another set of irons for 2018, so I got that going for myself too.
    2019 WITB
    Miura Tour Wedge 55*
    PXG 0311t 60.07* ZULU 

• mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭
    This is meant to be hating on the PXG’s but what makes you want to spend the $? Is it the clubs themselves or the club you are in owning them? With the clubs available right now I have a hard time believing they are worth double what a set of MP-18 SC’s, Cally X-Forged, TM 790 or any of them cost.

For me i’d get one of the above sets and go on a golf trip. But if you have your heart set, get fitted and enjoy.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    PXG? Sorry, but some of us still have mortgage payments to make!
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,152 ✭✭
    ChipNRun wrote:

PXG? Sorry, but some of us still have mortgage payments to make!

There's a sponsored ad that i always see on this site from Clublender that says "Play PXG's for as low as 63$ a day!"

And i always think, man that doesn't sound low at all. That actually sounds outrageously high.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,157 ✭✭
    I love the looks of PXG but if I was going to blow that much coin I'd have to have a set of new Miura's first.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Mizuno MP59's 5-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ClubWRX
    lawsonman wrote:

I love the looks of PXG but if I was going to blow that much coin I'd have to have a set of new Miura's first.

Different markets, different type of clubs. Miura's are also a lot cheaper than PXG.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • RN4LGolferRN4LGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 227 ClubWRX
    kgeorge78 wrote:

I hit them again and decided to stick with Ap2 718. Saved myself a ton of money.

Lol, nice set up. Well played.
    Callaway GBB EPIC RED 10.5*
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood
    Callaway Epic Hybrid
    PXG Gen2 0311P 5-PW
    [background=transparent]Vokey SM7 50*[/background]
    [background=transparent]Vokey SM7 54*[/background]
    [background=transparent]Vokey SM7 58*[/background]
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Members Posts: 686 ✭✭
    Still have my eye on a set of XFs or just the regular 0311s. My 0311X 3 iron has been nothing short of amazing. But I refuse to keep it unless I get irons to match, OCD before anything.
    Titleist TS2 10.5* Tour Ad Di 6s
    Titleist TS2 15* Tour Ad Di 7s
    Taylormade P790 UDI 17* HZRDUS
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 PX Rifle 6.0
    SM7 (46.10.F, 50.08.F, 54.10.S, 58.08.M) PX Rifle 6.0
    Rory McIlroy SSS Newport
    "Golf Babes" Tyson Lamb Marker
  • kclayton16kclayton16 Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    may want to hold off until new “Gen2” irons come out and then decide.. ZJ and CHIII are currently testing them out on tour and pics are up on GolfWRX
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    kclayton16 wrote:

may want to hold off until new "Gen2" irons come out and then decide.. ZJ and CHIII are currently testing them out on tour and pics are up on GolfWRX

Or you may not want to hold off and get the current price of the clubs. It seems as if a big price increase is coming from reading other threads.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,573 ✭✭
    BlazinPond wrote:

bogeypro wrote:

BlazinPond wrote:

I also needed to justify my new home simulator w/ Foresight Quad launch monitor and club fitting software.

Plus, I wanted another set of irons for 2018, so I got that going for myself too.
    lawsonman wrote:

I have both sets and PXGs are better. I'm selling my Miura CBs
    SwingMan wrote:

kclayton16 wrote:

may want to hold off until new "Gen2" irons come out and then decide.. ZJ and CHIII are currently testing them out on tour and pics are up on GolfWRX

Or you may not want to hold off and get the current price of the clubs. It seems as if a big price increase is coming from reading other threads.

That was a special set of PXGs that were allegedly $900 a club prob a JDM version.
    super20dan wrote:

at pxg prices-how are we supposed to try them? even used they are still 4X overpriced

4x overpriced any dealer you can get them for $350 an iron. So yeah a set of 4-p would run $2400 about little over 2 times set of Callaway or Mizuno irons
    edited Jan 19, 2018 #49
    monks66 wrote:

the red was the ball i thought i would like, but now i think the black will suit my game, i want as low driver spin as i can get, with good wedge spin. its softer then the red and the current mtb....i think this will be the ball i will test

ssfranny wrote:

SwingMan wrote:

kclayton16 wrote:

That was a special set of PXGs that were allegedly $900 a club prob a JDM version.

But I bet the Gen 2 will get a price increase - I paid $300/iron 3 yrs ago with an expensive shaft and custom fit - now it's $450/iron in many circles. They don't get less expensive. The Gen 2 pics show a more elegant iron design, but you know it will be at a price increase. C'est le Bob.

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,774 ✭✭
    BlazinPond wrote:

bogeypro wrote:

BlazinPond wrote:

If I lived in Michigan, my hobby would be going somewhere you don't freeze to death taking out the trash. Club fitting a distant second.
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    edited Jan 19, 2018 #51
    If you've got the money and aren't concerned with buyer's remorse, why not? I would go in with tempered expectations though. Don't expect to drop 3 strokes off your game.
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
    farmer wrote:

BlazinPond wrote:

bogeypro wrote:

BlazinPond wrote:

If I lived in Michigan, my hobby would be going somewhere you don't freeze to death taking out the trash. Club fitting a distant second.

Sounds like an awfully boring hobby....If I would have guessed, your current hobby just adds to an already high post count.
    2019 WITB
    Miura Tour Wedge 55*
    PXG 0311t 60.07* ZULU 

• JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Members Posts: 686 ✭✭
    SwingMan wrote:

monks66 wrote:

the red was the ball i thought i would like, but now i think the black will suit my game, i want as low driver spin as i can get, with good wedge spin. its softer then the red and the current mtb....i think this will be the ball i will test

ssfranny wrote:

SwingMan wrote:

kclayton16 wrote:

But I bet the Gen 2 will get a price increase - I paid $300/iron 3 yrs ago with an expensive shaft and custom fit - now it's $450/iron in many circles. They don't get less expensive. The Gen 2 pics show a more elegant iron design, but you know it will be at a price increase. C'est le Bob.

You think the price increase for the new irons will cause a larger demand for used clubs? I doubt it... I can see the average used set dipping into the 1400-1600 price range. Especially considering they didn't want to release any new clubs until the performance was noticeably better. Kinda makes their old irons old news, wouldn't you say?
    Titleist TS2 10.5* Tour Ad Di 6s
    Titleist TS2 15* Tour Ad Di 7s
    Taylormade P790 UDI 17* HZRDUS
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 PX Rifle 6.0
    SM7 (46.10.F, 50.08.F, 54.10.S, 58.08.M) PX Rifle 6.0
    Rory McIlroy SSS Newport
    "Golf Babes" Tyson Lamb Marker
  • tyorke1tyorke1 Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    1/4 longer and strong loft long irons and only a little strong lofts in rest interesting set-up. Why the 38.25 start length?
    m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    816 h1 hybrid 19 degree ,speeder tour spec
    taylor p790 17 degree
    callaway apex pro c-taper stiff 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj versionr
    epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag
    edited Jan 19, 2018 #55

You think the price increase for the new irons will cause a larger demand for used clubs? I doubt it... I can see the average used set dipping into the 1400-1600 price range. Especially considering they didn't want to release any new clubs until the performance was noticeably better. Kinda makes their old irons old news, wouldn't you say?

Only if you believe Bob. I do not. He has a lot of carnival barker in him. If you believe him, look at the evolution of his driver line. Not setting the world on fire.

But I gotta' say the 0311 and 0311 XF are great clubs for guys who want to make the game easier, especially more mature guys like me. I tried BB OS - the 3011XF just work better. So I ended up getting the rest of the set before another price increase. Funny world.

• roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 465 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 23, 2018 #56
    Hey all,

Can someone explain why some of the 0311 irons have 4 screws at the top corner of the toe where others only have 3.

Some heads have the PXG logo on the toe with 3 toe screws and the 0311 near the back heal whereas others have the locations of the logos reversed-0311 logo on the toe with 4 toe screws.

Is it a different year of heads or heavier?

Anyone have any info?

....Edit....

NVM people, apparently they went to 3 screws on the 0311 so the toe looks the same as the 0311T and XT when you blend the irons to make up a set...purely cosmetic-go figure....

Rox
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • golfheaven69golfheaven69 Members Posts: 1,135
    Three buddies played them last year. All playing something else currently. Expensive experiment but in the end marketing doesn’t guarantee results.
  • gc444gc444 Lefty Boomers Posts: 403 ✭✭
    When I tried them out a while back I could not believe how good they felt. Numbers were better than anything I tried. But I just could not bring myself to spend that much on a set of irons. I have recently got a set of Taylormade P790 irons. Definitely do not feel as good, but at less than half the price they feel good enough.
  • np78np78 Posts: 283
    I would love to give the 0311 P a try
  • I would love to give them a try as well but I m wondering how big the p are compared to the t
  • I went to see a fitter a couple months back, he sells (and has a personal set of) both Miura and PXG. He said Miura, hands down, is the better club. He was another person on the list of people stating that PXGs have hot spots. Sorry, but $350/head and still have occasional flyers? No thanks.