Justin Thomas New OWGR #1 Player

mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 940 ✭✭
Thoughts?

Seems like he was the best player in the world a few months ago, but as of today I'm not so sure.

With the GOATs rapid ascension up the ranks and his clear return to form, it figures to only be a matter of time before he reclaims his rightful spot on the throne.

Comments

• redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,916 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #2
    Well-deserved for Thomas. He has been the best player in the world over the last 18 months.
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,257 ✭✭
    Yeah. Why no love for JT?
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,935 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 #4
    A real sham. ( pun intended ). Just not a fan of his game at all. And I don’t think head to headhe beats Spieth , dj , Rahm or even phil more often than not. But the world rankings are not setup that way. So I guess he can have his “ turn” until someone else wins again.

Just look at the choke job vs Phil in Mexico. He holes the fairway shot on 18 to get into playoff. The watches phil come in. Visibly looks sick as he sees phil make the par putt. Then can’t hit the green with a gap wedge. Flubs the chip and doesn’t hit the hole with the putt. Phil wins on short par 3 with a par. Pretty huge choke. Not something you usually associate with #1 at anything.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • rebbyrebby CNH 320 ClubWRX Posts: 2,178 ✭✭
    mjen43 wrote:

With the GOATs rapid ascension up the ranks and his clear return to form, it figures to only be a matter of time before he reclaims his rightful spot on the throne.

Jack is ranked???
    G400, Atmos FOH 6x | TEE CB Pro F2, Atmos Red 7x
    TM P730 3-PW, KBS $-Taper 125 - Miura 1957 2/4-PW, KBS Tour-V 125
    Ben Hogan TK 52/56/60, KBS Tour-V 120
    Mann Mini - Cameron CT | TP5x | My WITB Thread
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,721 ClubWRX
    rebby wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Jack is ranked???

LOL, OP will ponder that on the throne tomorrow morning.
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    Pretty well deserved but can't see it lasting for long. I predict a new World Number 1 within a month, possibly Jon Rahm or DJ getting it back.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,770 ✭✭
    Only three players have been younger and got to the #1 spot: Tiger, Rory and Justin's good friend Jordan.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    I also want to congratulate Dustin Johnson. He was #1 for 64 straight weeks. That is the fifth longest streak ever.

I will say that the anti climactic way he’s getting it ( someone else faltering) is pretty fitting. And I’ll stop. Hate isn’t lovely on anyone. I don’t now why this kid irks me. But he does.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,374 ✭✭
    The issue we have all is that we expect #1 to "mean" something. It's just a mathematical formula that says who has the most points over a 2 year period. Thomas is #1, which is great for him and still significant in a sense.

#1 doesn't have to be some mythical thing. It doesn't even mean he's the "best" golfer in the world

The best salesperson at a company will still have quarters/years where he does not lead the company in sales
    Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    mjen43 wrote:

Jack Nicklaus is 78. He's not going to claim the #1 spot ever again.
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 940 ✭✭
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Don't see what this has to do with my post, but ok.
    mjen43 wrote:

Mr. Hogan wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Didn't you say "the GOATs rapid ascension"??? GOAT == JACK!!!
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭
    rebby wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Mr. Hogan wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Didn't you say "the GOATs rapid ascension"??? GOAT == JACK!!!

GOAT = JACK my behind... GOAT = TW
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,340 ClubWRX
    Let's add that the top 3 are all 'Merican. Suck on that Kazakhstan.
  • PGAroxPGArox Members Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    mjen43 wrote:

Not if he can't close out top 3 finishes. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • NV825NV825 Just a Baby Fade Members Posts: 778 ✭✭
    JT has been playing phenomenal golf for the past 2 years. A well-deserved ranking for only a 25 year old with plenty of golf years ahead of him. Golf is in a great spot with so much young talent.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,340 ClubWRX
    Does he really need to issue a statement though?

After my round today I moved into the top 10,000,000 in the world. Should I issue a statement? It's a milestone.
  • 00steven00steven Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    JT of for a month, but best right now. Deserved.
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M2
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M2
    4-PW: Titleist AP1
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM5 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
    edited May 13, 2018 #21

I will say that the anti climactic way he's getting it ( someone else faltering) is pretty fitting. And I'll stop. Hate isn't lovely on anyone. I don't now why this kid irks me. But he does.

Oh wait, you were serious with your previous post? I read it as being sarcastic.

Do you actually think Thomas choked in Mexico?! He shot 64-62 over the weekend. He was 11 behind Sharma after 2 days. He had no right to be even in contention. He holes a wedge from the fairway on 18 (!), one of the most clutch shots of the year.

He choked it in the playoff? He bogeyed a hole that he also bogeyed in regulation, that had a clear advantage to a left-hander - it was a tight par 3 with a small landing area that clearly favoured a left-handed fade to a right-handed draw. It was also one week after he had just won in Florida...
    edited May 13, 2018 #22
    Dave230 wrote:

I will say that the anti climactic way he's getting it ( someone else faltering) is pretty fitting. And I'll stop. Hate isn't lovely on anyone. I don't now why this kid irks me. But he does.

Oh wait, you were serious with your previous post? I read it as being sarcastic.

Do you actually think Thomas choked in Mexico?! He shot 64-62 over the weekend. He was 11 behind Sharma after 2 days. He had no right to be even in contention. He holes a wedge from the fairway on 18 (!), one of the most clutch shots of the year.

He choked it in the playoff? He bogeyed a hole that he also bogeyed in regulation, that had a clear advantage to a left-hander - it was a tight par 3 with a small landing area that clearly favoured a left-handed fade to a right-handed draw. It was also one week after he had just won in Florida...

And they pull me back in ......lol

Dead serious. Look at his face when phil is finishing out. HE hoped phil would bogey. He didn’t want to play for it. It’s writren on his face. Then watch his body language etc through the playoff hole. Phil was all over his head. The kid can go low. Yes. But every time he plays with tiger ( the hero etc) or gets close against it with anyone not Luke List he wilts.

What great battle has he out lasted someone of proven substance on ?

I agree with Jeff. I need to stop looking at this as the actual best player. It’s simply an AP poll if you will and will change with the next win. Tiger simply spoiled us into believing that it denotes the actual best. Or guy most likely to win anyway given week. He isn’t that.
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,191 ✭✭

Dave230 wrote:

Dead serious. Look at his face when phil is finishing out. Then watch his body language etc through the playoff hole. Phil was all over his head. The kid can go low. Yes. But every time he plays with tiger ( the hero etc) or gets close against it with anyone not Luke List he wilts.

I agree with Jeff. I need to stop looking at this as the actual best player. It’s simply an AP poll if you will and will change with the next win. Tiger simply spoiled us into believing that it denotes the actual best. Or guy most likely to win anyway given week. He isn’t that.

7 wins in the last year and a half. Please stop.

Dave230 wrote:

Dead serious. Look at his face when phil is finishing out. HE hoped phil would bogey. He didn't want to play for it. It's writren on his face. Then watch his body language etc through the playoff hole. Phil was all over his head. The kid can go low. Yes. But every time he plays with tiger ( the hero etc) or gets close against it with anyone not Luke List he wilts.

I agree with Jeff. I need to stop looking at this as the actual best player. It's simply an AP poll if you will and will change with the next win. Tiger simply spoiled us into believing that it denotes the actual best. Or guy most likely to win anyway given week. He isn't that.

He beat Reed, Oosthuizen, Molinari, Fowler and Matsuyama to win a major last year. Good list of players, and he did it with a clutch birdie on the 16th or 17th if I remember correctly. He beat Jordan Spieth to win the Dell Technologies in the Fed Ex Cup playoffs. It's only his 4th year on the PGA Tour, so it's not like he's had battle after battle with his greatest rivals. He's done alright so far.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,213 ✭✭
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Jack has yet to be dethroned as the GOAT.

Congrats to JT.

• PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,393 ✭✭
    Well deserved title. He'll get hot again and win a couple soon.
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,104 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

After my round today I moved into the top 10,000,000 in the world. Should I issue a statement? It's a milestone.

After Saturday’s round I’m celebrating 2,400 weeks ranked outside the top 10,000,000. The streak is still alive!

Mr. Hogan wrote:

mjen43 wrote:

Jack has yet to be dethroned as the GOAT.

Congrats to JT.

+1 on both accounts.
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Sorry, a retired plumber got hot on the back 9 at Turtle Bay in Hawaii with four pars to close out his round and knocked you back out.

We need little figures we can attach to our avatars.

One is a golden goat

the other is a tiger striped goat

Then we can see where everyone stands.

DavePelz4 wrote:

Sorry, a retired plumber got hot on the back 9 at Turtle Bay in Hawaii with four pars to close out his round and knocked you back out.

Seriously? I thought it was a lock. Will have my PR team go into damage control.