Will you pay to watch Tiger v Phil?

Comments

• alittleoverparalittleoverpar Cousin Jess Members Posts: 1,568
    I'm sure it would be fun to watch, but was disappointed when they announced it would be PPV. If they were playing with their own money I might change my mind.
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 11.5* - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 16.5" - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr X MB 4 - PW - PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 54*, 58* - S400
    Royal Collection Metro East Miami
    Jones Utility Stand Bag
  • Ping ZingsPing Zings Posts: 830 ✭✭
    Only if they used there own money for the bet.
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    1999-2000 version sure, now forget it.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,116 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

1999-2000 version sure, now forget it.

afp_c01_v2_tiger_17_1700029-e1517344258270.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
  • TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Posts: 423 ✭✭
    I and many others I know will be paying the same rate we have for the last few hundred PPVs I've watched.
    The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
  • Brianm423Brianm423 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭
    All lies I tell you! I bet more than half of you who said you aren't going to pay for this DEFINITELY WILL!

It's pure entertainment. It will definitely be fun to watch as a golf fan.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,602 ✭✭
    No.

I already watched this. And this is priceless.

http://youtu.be/cWcRNIr30t4
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • kwcsportskwcsports Members Posts: 747 ✭✭
    No chance
    WITB
    Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
    Adams Tight Lies 2 3W- Kuro Kage
    Adams Tight Lies 2- 3H- Kuro Kage
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW- NS Pro 950GH
    Ping Eye 2 SW- XP105
    Nike VR Forged LW- XP105
    Taylormade Big Fontana
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    Brianm423 wrote:

All lies I tell you! I bet more than half of you who said you aren't going to pay for this DEFINITELY WILL!

It's pure entertainment. It will definitely be fun to watch as a golf fan.

I’ll take that bet. What are they offering? A staged exhibition with forced banter and nothing on the line. It sounds like it should have been on the old Battle of the Network Stars. Phil and Tiger could take on Jamie Farr and Robert Conrad.

Would barely bother for free, which, by the way, is what I’m going to pay to watch them this afternoon.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • 4thand114thand11 Members Posts: 858 ✭✭
    QuickFeet wrote:
    What's the point of this match? Money going to charity?

I honestly assumed that was the case when I first heard rumors about this weeks ago. If it's not for charity it's a pretty lame cash grab imo.

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,248 ✭✭
    I honestly don't know if I'd pay for it or not. It really depends how many sodas I've had the day it is on.
    chippa13 wrote:

I honestly don't know if I'd pay for it or not. It really depends how many sodas I've had the day it is on.

That's true. I might be all loopy on sodas and hit the buy button.

Then, I be like, "this sucks" and watch Predator.

Wife be laughin at me.

Yeah, I could see it goin down that way.
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,975 ✭✭

WFAN's Mike Francesa brought up an interesting issue with the format. Since it's a two-man televised live event, what are they going to show between shots? I guess it could work, but there's going to be a lot of down time that they will have to fill.

They will have Tiger and Phil mic up just like when they played the two Tiger Rory matches in China
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    If the price is reasonable, $25 or less I'll pay to watch it. I'm sure they will have both guys mic'd up and will follow them on the course so it's like the viewers are walking along with them.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • won't pay to watch Hefty vs Cheetah....unless Hefty brings his Mob Boss buddy to offer stock tips....and Cheetah parades his seemingly endless entourage of Vegas ho's

seriously, college football will have my undivided attention
  • peepeepeepee Members Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #47
    Nothing on the line...its a joke.
    new2g0lf wrote:

If the price is reasonable, $25 or less I'll pay to watch it. I'm sure they will have both guys mic'd up and will follow them on the course so it's like the viewers are walking along with them.

$25! No way.

$12.99 $11.99 is my max. Then, I have money left over for snacks. Maybe roast beef hero and Combos. And sodas!
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,847 ClubWRX
    This is going to be a disaster
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

new2g0lf wrote:

$25! No way.

$12.99 $11.99 is my max. Then, I have money left over for snacks. Maybe roast beef hero and Combos. And sodas!

Wait... Aren't you dieting?
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,904 ✭✭

WFAN's Mike Francesa brought up an interesting issue with the format. Since it's a two-man televised live event, what are they going to show between shots? I guess it could work, but there's going to be a lot of down time that they will have to fill.

Fox managed to fill the time between shots when they covered the US Amateur and their coverage was without commercial breaks. I thought they did a very good job of it, so it can be done.

As for this event. I imagine that it will be full of bad jokes, false smiles and average golf at best. I won't be watching.
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,668 ✭✭

Hopefully Amanda will be there to distract us.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,660 ✭✭
    Not interested.
  • padgetpadget Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    nichho wrote:

Fox managed to fill the time between shots when they covered the US Amateur and their coverage was without commercial breaks. I thought they did a very good job of it, so it can be done.

As for this event. I imagine that it will be full of bad jokes, false smiles and average golf at best. I won't be watching.

Gheez, if I have to pay to watch I better not have to listen to Azinger and Buck the whole time between shots.

Gonna pass. Am a bit surprised it is ppv though.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,602 ✭✭
    Announce team?

Joe Buck: host

Jim Nantz: play by play from 18th tower

Johnny Miller: color commentator

Brandel Chamblee: color commentator

Peter Kostis: swing analysis

David Feherty: follows Tiger

Bones Mackay: follows Phil

Gary McCord: side bet announcer

Amanda Bolonos: post round interviews
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,904 ✭✭

Announce team?

Joe Buck: host

Jim Nantz: play by play from 18th tower

Johnny Miller: color commentator

Brandel Chamblee: color commentator

Peter Kostis: swing analysis

David Feherty: follows Tiger

Bones Mackay: follows Phil

Gary McCord: side bet announcer

Amanda Bolonos: post round interviews

I'd almost changed my mind about watching then I saw McCord.
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #57
    PPV. I don't think they will have many viewers willing to pay. Makes no difference who wins, it proves nothing.

Is this the future of golf, PPV for the Majors? Perhaps change to PPV when any tournament is close and requires a play off.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,551 ✭✭
    Oh god now the media will try to convince us this is not meaningless till Thanksgiving...
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Posts: 750 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #59
    Only if it were a scientifically impossible dream match ie 1960s Nicklaus vs early 2000s Tiger would I ever pay for a golf PPV.
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 724 ✭✭
    It might be interesting seeing Phil break The rules again somehow when his putt doesn't drop or some other way, but my answer is no I wouldn't pay to watch them play.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    Guia wrote:

PPV. I don't think they will have many viewers willing to pay. Makes no difference who wins, it proves nothing.

Is this the future of golf, PPV for the Majors? Perhaps change to PPV when any tournament is close and requires a play off.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

It's a unique event that will likely donate the profits of PPV to a charity. They also probably went to PPV so it could be live with both golfers mic'd up so they won't have to worry about any expletives that are said. No one is forcing you to buy it and you're clearly not interested in it, so not sure why you care so much.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB