Longer Hitters - How often do you really hit 3W off the deck

Comments

• The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Members Posts: 1,036 ✭✭
    Almost never, but you'd have to get down on your hands and knees to see that there was a tee under my ball from the blocks. I play it off the tee a lot, but it's teed right down, almost to the ground.
    915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
    Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º C-Taper
    Mizzy S18 60-06º Blue Ion
    Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • fillwelixfillwelix Members Posts: 1,226 ✭✭
    Threads like this make me realize how lucky I am that I started golf early on in my life and grew up hitting 3 woods off the deck. Never been that intimidating to me which is lucky
    WITB
    Taylormade M3 Speeder Evo IV 565 X
    Taylormade M2 2016 3HL HZRDUS Black 75g S
    Mizuno MP33 3i Steelfiber i110 
    Taylormade P770 4i-5i Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade P730 6-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

eh- depends on the condiitons.. i have 1 par 5 that handcuffs you off the tee and leaves a 2nd shot dead uphill , and often into the wind.. its usually a 3 wood or a 2 iron/hybrid shot.. thats about it.... so id say once every 2 weeks....

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But it’s risky from the back.

With the tees today it was a mid iron off the tee and a mid iron in.
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭
    edited Oct 19, 2018 #65
    fillwelix wrote:

Threads like this make me realize how lucky I am that I started golf early on in my life and grew up hitting 3 woods off the deck. Never been that intimidating to me which is lucky

I don't find it intimidating at all.

I find at my distance and with the courses I play that its unnecessary most rounds.

If I bomb a drive I rarely have 250+ out on a hole and like I said I have a driving iron that is used of tight tee holes.

I carried extra irons and wedges over fairway woods for most my golfing career because I never found I needed to hit the shot.
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,376 ✭✭
    fillwelix wrote:

Think you may have missed many of us saying it’s just not a required shot or yardage we see a lot. If you’re a longer hitter playing 6800y courses, with good driving you won’t really need many turf 3w now,

I can hit the shot without issue, most of us grew up with it lol. You’re not special!
    Cobra LTD Pro - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W/3HL - Black Tie 80M4-X
    P790 UDI #2  or  TP UDI #3 - Black Tie HM4 105X   
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X 

• JDMRN81JDMRN81 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    I try it probably more times then I should. It’s the hardest shot in golf for me personally.
    Ping G400 Max 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Ping i500 3-GW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide Forged 54*/58* Project X LZ 6.0
    Toulon Columbus 34" CG custom matte black/blue
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • LooperConLooperCon Caddie at Bandon Dunes Loveland, ColoradoMembers Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited Oct 19, 2018 #68
    Once every couple rounds or so...I live by the mantra “the closer, the better”

& I’m confident enough in my wedge play around the green that if I’ve got a decent lie from 250+ on a par 5, I’m trying to get there rather than lay up (barring something real dangerous around the green). There are a few par 5s around here that push 600, so it definitely comes out for those holes and there are a couple others that it sees use on if I don’t cut enough corner off.

Had a couple exotics, and while super long, they weren’t the best off the deck. Moved to a Ping G & have never felt better hitting approaches into par 5s.
  • garcia51694garcia51694 RHODY RHODY RHODY RAMS RAMS RAMS RHODE ISLANDMembers Posts: 2,528 ✭✭
    Quite a bit.
    PING G400 Max 9* Project X HZRDUS Yellow
    Mizuno ST190 Atmos Black Tour Spec
    PING i20 17* White Pearl KBS
    Titleist 816 22* H2 Atmos Blue Tour Spec
    Titleist 718 AP2 KBS SE Black C-Taper
    CP Functional Art Wedges KBS SE Black
    PXG Mini Gunboat
    Robert Mark Headcovers
    Iomic Grips
    BB&F Ferrules
    Jordan Shoes
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,784 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

eh- depends on the condiitons.. i have 1 par 5 that handcuffs you off the tee and leaves a 2nd shot dead uphill , and often into the wind.. its usually a 3 wood or a 2 iron/hybrid shot.. thats about it.... so id say once every 2 weeks....

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But it’s risky from the back.

yep.. i dont know why they have the white tees down front and that tee box closed..theres another tee above the normal white box that never gets used. i may move them myself in the morning..lol we are 1st or second group out i think ....
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

13?

yep.. i dont know why they have the white tees down front and that tee box closed..theres another tee above the normal white box that never gets used. i may move them myself in the morning..lol we are 1st or second group out i think ....

It’s like they use rye grass on that tee that doesn’t really take off. I guess the tee doesn’t matter much just changes what you hit to get to the same spot. I think 18 has centipede grass that has been great as long as I can remember. 17 tee box is nice now too. Anywho I birdied 13 and 15 and played meh the rest of the day. Drove the ball good and hit crisp irons for the most part (couple brain farts) but didn’t score well. Chipping and putting nothing spectacular. Might have been due to being behind a twosome with a 5some in front of them and a slow 4some in front of them. Had to wait literally every hole.
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,361 ✭✭
    Depends on the course
  • jamgamjamgam ClubWRX Posts: 68 ✭✭
    I swing 3W about 110mph so not terribly long but i never hit it from the fairway. I'm just weird about woods in that I need a perfect lie to even attempt it and never get it. I probably get better results swinging out of my shoes to hit a driving iron from the FW that hitting 3W. I hit 3W off the tee the vast vast majority of the time though. Driver and I get at odds with each other quite a bit
  • DJGainerDJGainer Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Almost never. I struggle with the 3w off the deck to begin with, but I also rarely see that distance from the fairway, so I don’t get a ton of shots from that distance. In almost every situation where I have to opportunity to hit 3w from the fairway, I’d be better served with a layup.
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 884 ✭✭
    My three wood is 220/30 tee or fairway, 5 wood 200/210

My struggle at the moment is getting the driver to travel a significant distance further to justify bagging it
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • BackNineCollapseBackNineCollapse Members Posts: 318
    I use it a fair bit. There are several courses I play that have a par 5 long enough that even with a good drive a 3 wood is required for the approach (I may not be classified as a golfwrx long hitter, my driver CHS is 114ish on a normal swing, ~280-285 carry). Granted these courses are playing low to mid 7000s. On top of that, there are several par 5s where the drive is constrained and I hit a 3 wood, hybrid, or even 3 iron off the tee, leaving a longer approach. I don't care what's around the green, if it's in reach on a par 5, I will go for it.
    Taylormade M3 9.5* - TPT 15 MKP-MT-SW
    Tour Edge Exotics CBX 15* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    PXG 0311X G2 18* - GD ADDI Hybrid XS
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* - KBS Prototype Hybrid 105 XS
    Callaway X-Forged UT 24* - Project X LZ 6.5
    Callaway Apex MB 5-P - Project X LZ 6.5
    Vokey SM7 Raw 54*F - Project X LZ 6.5
    Vokey SM7 Raw 60*D - DGTI S400
    EVNRoll ER1.2
  • Luke'sdadLuke'sdad Lukes's dad Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I have always been a sweeper of the golf club, even at times with my irons. I blame that technique with my irons back to my early teen days, when I used to, umh, borrow my dads Wilson Staff blades and go play. Being forged, my young uninformed mind felt if I only swept the irons, rather than strike a divot, the iron head would sustain less scratching, etc, and dad would never know I borrowed them. Well, I was wrong , but I digress. Back when Sonartec was all the rage, I picked up an SS03 model,14 degree,and instantly found the perfect combo of a tee 3 wood/fairway 3 wood.Still have it in the bag today, even picked up a few, very inexpensive backups. Maybe not as long as some, although it still gets out there, but it is that rare combo for ease of use from the tee or ground for a sweeper like myself. Plus, it sounds so **** good.
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    jamgam wrote:

I swing 3W about 110mph so not terribly long but i never hit it from the fairway. I'm just weird about woods in that I need a perfect lie to even attempt it and never get it. I probably get better results swinging out of my shoes to hit a driving iron from the FW that hitting 3W. I hit 3W off the tee the vast vast majority of the time though. Driver and I get at odds with each other quite a bit

Ah this website...if you are swinging anything that fast you are long by nearly any standards.
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
    Many demo days ago, the Tour Edge rep Jake (Dave Jacobs) had us testing out the new Exotics FW model.

He encouraged us to try both the 3W and 4W versions. For many of us, the 4W was more reliable - and sometimes flew longer - than the 3W. Our "test group" also had some long hitters (guys who could carry a driver circa 270 yards). A couple of longs also got more distance out of the 4W.

Whether you want 3W or 4W depends in part on how you come into the ball. Launch monitors help you determine which flies best.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • ValentValent Secret Asian Man Bangkok, ThailandMembers Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited Oct 22, 2018 #80
    Well, I finally swapped in a 3-wood to replace the 1-irons I've been playing most of my life. Used to hit the 1 on a few tee shots per round and the 3-wood is a direct replacement for those shots.

However, on approach to par 5s, used to lay up with an iron if the green was not reasonably within reach. But finding that the 3-wood is giving me more chances off the deck to give it a go. More easily too.

That being said, used to find hitting any fairway wood to be a chore, but getting much more used to the idea. Off the tee, it's still a low tee to the ground, just like an iron for a Par 3, same easy swing and in the middle it is....

-VS

Post edited by Unknown User on
        TRAVEL SET
    Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
    2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 6 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

HOME SET
    Driver - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5° | Aldila VS Proto 60 X Flex
    3-Wood - TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 14.5° | Aldila VS Proto 70 X Flex
    2-9 Irons - TaylorMade rac Forged TP | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Wedges - TaylorMade EF TP 50°/09, 56°/15, 60°/10 | KBS Tour Wedge Flex
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Blade 32 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls - TaylorMade TP5x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

1-Iron Option - Mizuno T-Zoid Sure 16° | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
    Putter Option - TaylorMade Rossa CGB Modena 8 | Golf Pride Tour SNSR Taper 104CC Grip
    Balls Option - Bridgestone Tour B X
  • joliver233joliver233 Members Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Almost never. Really just on 2nd shots into par 5s on occasion but other than that never.
    WITB:

D: 9* G400 LST w/Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05/X
    3W: 14.5* Cobra F8+ w/Even Flow Blue X
    Irons: 716 AP2 3-PW w/KBS C-Taper S+
    Wedges: 50* SM6; 54*, 58* SM7 w/DG s400
    Putter: TM Spider Tour Black w/t sightline
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 863 ✭✭
    I use it. Par 5 with a close dog-leg is most used case, I'll lay up to the corner and have 250-300 left, 3 wood territory. If not a tight green im going for it. Two such holes at my local so I'm usually hitting at least twice.

Any 500 yarders or more where I find rough off tee I may be using 3 wood.

g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,356 ✭✭
    I do it multiple times a round usually, i play early when it's wet so anything 530+ (of which almost all of our par 5's are) will often leave 250yds or more and that's a 3 wood for me.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • jamgamjamgam ClubWRX Posts: 68 ✭✭
    buckeyefl wrote:

jamgam wrote:

Ah this website...if you are swinging anything that fast you are long by nearly any standards.

I don't swing the driver any faster is the sad part image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> I'm the ave joe golfer in distance I'd think b/c I flight the ball too high. I'm sure there's people that swing it slower that hit it just as far or farther
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,445 ✭✭
    edited Oct 21, 2018 #85
    golf85 wrote:
    Okay, these responses reflect my feelings. I love my 3W off the tee and depending on the course, use it usually 3-8 times a round, it has improved my fairways and driving immensely. I rarely have more than a 4 iron in on a par 5 and am more than comfortable with my 3 hybrid hitting into the odd long one.

If you typically have only a 4 or 5i into a par 5, are you really playing the correct tee? I feel a reachable par 5 should require a FW/Hyb to reach. Otherwise, I'm not starting in the right spot.

Course, my driver carry is only about 250 at sea level. 14.5* 3w is about 230-240. For the record, I ALWAYS play my FWs off the deck and practice them a lot! I also carry a 19* FW that gives me 210-215. I will use them to go for any green that isn't to firm or has penal surroundings.

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • mtgmtg Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I may be off - but I think a lot of people are misreading the OPs point. He's not saying he doesn't like hitting 3w off the deck because its an intimidating shot per se. He is saying is a largely unnecessary shot.

I'm not super long, but knock it out there a good ways. And I agree - maybe once every couple rounds I need a 3w off the deck. Its understandable why a short/medium hitter would need "the longest club they can elevate off the deck" a ton.

I'm actually in the process of turning my 3w into a tee ball oriented setup, as opposed to something I'm equivocating over with approach shot considerations. I just want my 3 wood to be a straight flying fairway finder from 250-270. Need this shot a lot for short-medium length par 4s, doglegs, etc. When i need it for the random par 5 approach I'll probably develop a high cut with it (which should work because I'm designing it to avoid the left rough off the tee).
    Driver: TS3 Aldila 2kxv Blue 70x
    3w: F7 ADDI 8x
    DI: P790 3i PX HB6
    Irons: P790 (4i), Z945 (5-Pw) Modus 120x
    Wedges: SM6-7 50F, 54M, 60S S400
    Putter: Odyssey Red 7s
  • mtgmtg Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    One other kinda related point. If you really wanted to game this out you could probably find a driver that can be hit off the deck.

I almost never hit mine off the deck, not even because I try and it doesn't work. I honestly don't think I've ever gave it a whirl. But I was playing a scramble about 6 weeks ago. Was in my hometown and didn't have my bag. I used a borrowed G400 LST (not even the regular guy) - I had two opportunities where we were a long ways back on par 5s and I hated the 3 wood in that bag, so I hit the big dog. Both times it flew straight, made really solid contact and the one where the ball was sitting up I got a ton of air under it. The low CG in these new drivers makes them surprisingly easy to flight off the deck.

For the long hitter - a 3w designed to be hit off the deck is pretty much a waste of real estate in the bag.
    Driver: TS3 Aldila 2kxv Blue 70x
    3w: F7 ADDI 8x
    DI: P790 3i PX HB6
    Irons: P790 (4i), Z945 (5-Pw) Modus 120x
    Wedges: SM6-7 50F, 54M, 60S S400
    Putter: Odyssey Red 7s
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 391 ✭✭
    Ri_Redneck wrote:

golf85 wrote:
    Okay, these responses reflect my feelings. I love my 3W off the tee and depending on the course, use it usually 3-8 times a round, it has improved my fairways and driving immensely. I rarely have more than a 4 iron in on a par 5 and am more than comfortable with my 3 hybrid hitting into the odd long one.

If you typically have only a 4 or 5i into a par 5, are you really playing the correct tee? I feel a reachable par 5 should require a FW/Hyb to reach. Otherwise, I'm not starting in the right spot.

Course, my driver carry is only about 250 at sea level. 14.5* 3w is about 230-240. For the record, I ALWAYS play my FWs off the deck and practice them a lot! I also carry a 19* FW that gives me 210-215. I will use them to go for any green that isn't to firm or has penal surroundings.

BT

Agreed. If you can knock it off the tee 260-300 and don't have 300-250 remaining on a par 5, you're probably on the wrong tee box (barring a short course layout, that is).
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    Well I'm an idiot and cant help myself from the lure of the stupendous shot....I hit it one out of 5 but too weak to resist!!
  • JackalJackal Members Posts: 530 ✭✭
    About a month ago, I took out my 13° 3 wood.

Now I have a 15°-3 wood,18°-5 wood,and a heavenwood.

Everything had to be perfect to hit the 13° off the fairway. The 15° is a lot easier, and I hit it off the tee, too.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,292 ✭✭
    Wow, I didn't realized how many 300+ hitters we have in here, lol...

I hit a 3w any chance I get. A well hit 3w from the fairway is a sublime golf shot.
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”