Longer Hitters - How often do you really hit 3W off the deck

golf85

Not long by any means. But I’ve used mine more this year. Two of our par fives typically leave 235-240 and a but uphill. I’ve started using the 3wood instead of hybrid (age rears it’s head again). I also use it off of one par four most of the time, and about half the time off another. So I would guess it’s used at least a couple times a round.

Don’t know if medium hitters answers help or not!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a strong 3w and I simply dont see that yardage a lot into par 5's. Regardless, Im far more comfortable hitting a 5w off the deck and its a higher % play.

5-woods are heavily slept on by the better modern player. I think it's the obsession with trackman numbers, always low spin low flight and lack of use of clubs in real course situations. I love my UDI but the 5w has a place for certain courses/conditions. New fairways are so hot, the yardage you can still get out of them from less than perfect lies is crazy.

I game a 915FD 18* at 41.50" and have used it often from 230-260, which is the longest yardage I feel comfortable going for it anyways. Strong 3w off the deck is something Ive actually nearly stopped practicing, isn't a priority.

I don't even own a 3 wood. Haven't in over 15 years.

My UDI 790 2 iron I can hit off the deck 250. 260 off a tee.

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

I use a G400 2H off the tee instead of 3w. It goes 230-240 for me and is my most used club apart from putter. A go to club. I also use it around the greens all the time and have holed out many times with from greenside chipping through the fringe. If I’m further out than that on a par 5 I will score better making it a 3 shotter.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

It’s a lot more dependant on where you play imho. Here in the uk accuracy off the tee is at a far higher premium if you’re playing decent courses. If you watched the British Masters you’ll know why our bag setups differ so much.

I have an unusual setup of

Driver 275-300 yards depending on weather.

3+ wood (13deg) 250-275

2i hybrid (17 deg) 240-250

The driver comes out 2-3 times a round as the longest par 4 you’ll normally see is 450. Most par 5s are 530-580. The 3+ wood is for the majority of tee shots but can be hit off the deck especially into the wind. The 2i hybrid is for TIGHT fairways and is dead easy to hit a high cut with into par 5s.

I still carry 3 wedges and 7 irons with no yardage gaps - 50, 54, 58 plus 4-pw.

I think it's the obsession with trackman numbers, always low spin low flight and lack of use of clubs in real course situations.

Absolutely the case with many fitters here in Australia. Leads to fliers out of the fairway with irons and fairway woods. With low spin driver fittings, any slight mishit falls out the sky and any sidespin = in the cabbage.

I hit mine off the deck at least once a round on my home course as long as I have a decent lie and angle to the green. If not I lay up to specofic yardage. If i hot it morw tham once a ro7nd it genetlly means I topped one of the box.

Man, it's like we can read the whiskey taking effect as your post progresses...lol

I really not a long hitter. But i find out that my score if i dont use a 3 wood. I prefer to use a 5 wood. Much better in my opinion, from the deck or the tee.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Entirely depends on the course and conditions as a couple others mentioned. My home course happens to have a 600 yard par 5 where I hit 3W second almost always. It’s also near the coast, so I’ll hit 3W off the deck from the tee depending on wind - just more comfortable flighting my 3W down than my driver. At the end of the day it’s whatever helps you score better!

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

I’ve recently been playing 15 clubs...shhhh...while I experiment with some new clubs. I just got an M3 3w and 5w. They are LONG!! I plan on cutting them down because I prefer a shorter fairway and to narrow the gap a little. My 3i is a Nike Vapor Speed (19*) with a C Taper and it is a missile off the tee for short par 4s. I also play 52, 56, 60 wedges.

After a few rounds I think the results in! I’ll probably rarely put the 3w in the bag. Just don’t tell the wife lol I’ll crank the 5w down to 17* and make it a 250-260 carry club, leave the 3i and 3 wedges. That’s about the max that I would feel comfortable anyway. I would rarely need that at the courses I play even at 7000 yards. I find I have in the 200-230 range or 300 for a second shot on a par 5.

If I do put the 3w in the bag I’ll use it cranked down for a more controlled tee club around 270-280 and pull the 56. Did I mention they’re long!? Lol I just prefer the 5w off the tee and deck over the 3w.

I can't say, I don't think I have hit a 3 wood into a green in years. I seldom play from the back tees anymore as I am usually

playing with buddies or family that don't hit all that long.

driver total distance anywhere from 290-310

3 wood off the tee 270-280

U45 Utility off the tee 250, off the deck 240

5 wood off the tee 240, off the deck 230

5 iron off the tee 220, off the deck 210

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

eh- depends on the condiitons.. i have 1 par 5 that handcuffs you off the tee and leaves a 2nd shot dead uphill , and often into the wind.. its usually a 3 wood or a 2 iron/hybrid shot.. thats about it.... so id say once every 2 weeks....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I love the 3HL, it's plenty of distance off the tee but I can get it up in the air much more easily. I don't hit it off the deck very often, but I've been able to hold the green from around 260 because of the height.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I really only use my 17 degree 4 wood on big dogleg left holes, as it is easier to turn over than driver. That being said, I love using it for big punch slices out of the trees from 60-240 yards. Other situations, I don't end up using it that much.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

eh- depends on the condiitons.. i have 1 par 5 that handcuffs you off the tee and leaves a 2nd shot dead uphill , and often into the wind.. its usually a 3 wood or a 2 iron/hybrid shot.. thats about it.... so id say once every 2 weeks....

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But it’s risky from the back.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Love my 3 wood. Off the tee or off the deck. I probably use it at least twice a round off the tee, and depending on course length, on longer par 5's.

I play a bit aggressively (sometimes also referred to a stupid), so tend to go at most par 5's in two. Short game is pretty decent, so I don't mind the 10-30 yard chips when I miss.

It’s a lot more dependant on where you play imho. Here in the uk accuracy off the tee is at a far higher premium if you’re playing decent courses. If you watched the British Masters you’ll know why our bag setups differ so much.

I have an unusual setup of

Driver 275-300 yards depending on weather.

3+ wood (13deg) 250-275

2i hybrid (17 deg) 240-250

The driver comes out 2-3 times a round as the longest par 4 you’ll normally see is 450. Most par 5s are 530-580. The 3+ wood is for the majority of tee shots but can be hit off the deck especially into the wind. The 2i hybrid is for TIGHT fairways and is dead easy to hit a high cut with into par 5s.

I still carry 3 wedges and 7 irons with no yardage gaps - 50, 54, 58 plus 4-pw.

My set-up and yardages are nearly identical. I use a 3 hybrid instead of a 2 though and It's 225-235.

On my home course I have yet to use 3 wood off the deck. But I use it 5 or 6 holes for tee shots which saves me plenty strokes. Best move I ever made. If the distance into a green is more than my hybrid can handle the percentage of success is too low. Our 2 par 5's are guarded by water to the left and tight which is my miss with both hybrid and 3 wood.

I used to carry a 3 Wood that i was really comfortable with off the deck, but less so off the tee. I recently switched to the Ping 3W shaft combination in my sig this summer, and it is a beast off the tee, lower spin/trajectory off the tee, and straight (250 yards). Off the deck i dont get the best flight for going at greens, but i have found this situation very rarely presents itself, if i do have the need to go for a green from 240, its likely because i hit a poor tee shot, or its a very long par 5 and is likely protected, asking for a three shot approach. For the 1 shot in 5 rounds i need this, the 3W is serviceable.

Curious to hear what other long hitters put a priority on (tee vs deck) when choosing a 3W.

Well I guess a lot has to do with the type of player you are, do you play long courses and go for a lot of par 5's in two? Most long hitters that are good players want to hit a fade off the tee with their driver and then have a 3-wood they can turn over for those right to left tee shots. What I did with my 3-wood is cut it down to about 5-wood length, I didn't see hardly any distance lost off the tee with it and provides more workability off the turf. i'd recommend trying this if you are looking to have a 3-wood that does a little of both. While I tend to lay up on par 5's if I have more that 250 in anyway, I like to have a club in the bag that I have confidence with off the deck so I have that option.

I love my 3w as well....TEE XCG7 Beta 13* (which is probably too strong, but I carry an 8.5* Driver). I rarely use it unless I am playing a scramble. Off the tee it's actually a great club, but I prefer to use Driver typically. My style is GIRI (Grip It & Rip It). May change this, though, because I feel like I could score better playing smarter.

3w is a great club to have in the bag, but it totally depends on your playing style and how your strategy plays out on the course.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

3 wood off the deck is rare for me. Off the tee, I probably hit it 2-3 times per round if I'm playing smart and not being super aggressive.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But its risky from the back.

If I’m feeling frisky I’ll hit driver and try to peel one hard but usually end up hitting straight in the 14th fairway. I’ve been inside the 150 but usually in the 185-200 range when I play smart and lay up off the tee.

For me, 3 wood is mostly an off the tee club. I do sometimes hit it on exceptionally long par 5's but rarely trying to stick a green. For me it has to turn over since I fade my driver, and need to be able to have a tee club that goes both ways, and it needs to be consistent off the deck, however not high spin enough to stick a green.