Cold Weather Golfing - How Was Your Round

Comments

• FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    I hope you sub-freezing folks have graphite shafts and the softest ball ever made. I remember playing with blades in 38F in Pittsburgh, a light snow on the ground years ago and i can still feel the sting of even the slightest mishit.
  • _Red__Red_ Members Posts: 32
    Had a game on Saturday.

14 holes in use, temp not cold (for here) but chilly wind. Wet underfoot, so course was playing its length.

+4. Hit the ball okay, but couldn't score. Couple of poor chips, one stupid 3-putt. Balance was a little off when attempting to go for a bit more power off the tee.

Also got f***** over a couple of times due to the ball jumping out of the wet rough on shots from 80-100 yards.

All in all, nothing that concerns me when I'm not getting to play much at this time of year.
  • mesquite2mesquite2 Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Dewey, good for you! I'm sure the boys at Old York will miss you. Are you in Florida for good or do come back in the spring? Steve D.
    It's cold here in Socal. 57F this morning. Still played a decent round.
  • silver504silver504 Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    It will be a high of 70 here in Atlanta Sunday. I thought my last round was last week. We'll see how it goes Sunday.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 657 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #37
    I'm usually willing to play if it stays above 40 F for a good portion of the round, but it has been so wet in the RVA lately that even 50 F is a bummer.

I did play earlier this week when it crossed 50F...wasn't too bad except for the mud everywhere. Distances were decent...played from tees I always play from with no real problems (other than the sogginess, but it has been so wet for so long that I've gotten used to that and adjusted accordingly).
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
    Looks like the Northern folks have packed it in for the Winter.
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭
    A front came through a couple of days ago. Low was in the high 50'w and it not even reach 70 degrees, Although shivering and bundled up in the winter chill, I did manage a 76. It was an ugly round but I could not hit it far enough to get into any trouble.
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    High 20's when we teed off and low 30s during most of the round. It was pretty brutal on us soft So Cal boys. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Not doing that again.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,120 ✭✭
    Had a warm front passing through recently. Windy but up to 15c at one point. Tomorrow is looking dry and 13c and my mate and I are at my club. Should be a pretty good day.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,076 ✭✭
    8 degrees, a breeze, drizzle. It hoyed it down overnight so first for standing water this Winter. Greens still great. And boxed a 40 foot putt to finish with a birdie. All is good.
  • jli2636jli2636 Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    Ended up being around 60 here today. Played 9 but it was sloppy and super wet after raining last night. Managed a 41 after not picking up a club in a couple months.
  • cologilocologilo ClubWRX Posts: 34
    Played today at Eisenhower Red in Nassau County Long Island. 38/45 (par 37 on front) 44° cloudy and grey. Greens also still very sandy after top dress. Very solid on front 1 birdie 2 bogies but struggled on back. Was a great walk with my best golfing buddy.
    TaylorMade 9 Tour RBZ w/ HD6 TP Shaft TaylorMade M1 3 Wood Stock Fujikura Shaft Callaway XR Pro 18 Project X 6.0 Titleist 716 CB Irons 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts (Standard LLL) Titleist Vokey SM6 52 58 Wedges Scotty Cameron Futura X7 34 Titleist AVX
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 657 ✭✭
    More rain in the RIC this weekend, yet it is supposed to get to 68 F tomorrow. Can’t/won’t play though because I will be surprised if an ark carrying two of every animal doesn’t amble down the 1st fairway. I’m older than 40 and I have never experienced rain like we’ve had this year. It is unbelievable.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
    68F today. Still OK, but it was freezing.
    Gear still drying out, more coffee and TV sports to keep me sane. Will do some retail therapy later...hello Barclaycard.
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Golfed in 28 degrees a couple days ago. Had to wear mittens whole first nine image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭
    FourTops wrote:

68F today. Still OK, but it was freezing.

68 and freezing😂
  • golf1836golf1836 Chopper Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Have not played in a month weather has been terrible. November has been super cold.But the last round I played made an eagle on the first hole par 4 so I have that memory to keep me warm. Where is global warming when you need it. LOL
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,120 ✭✭
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #51
    13C, light cloud which was even better than expected. So was my golf. 86 gross which would be a good score in summer, let alone winter (my club is only par 70). Found out something interesting about my swing. A full back swing then a relaxed downswing and follow-through produces awesome results and feels totally natural. I hit three drives over 200 yards straight down the middle of three fairways. Unfortunately I lost the knack eventually but it certainly gives me something to work on at the range. My putting was generally quite good as well, though I left a couple short which is a bad habit I've been trying to cure. I also lost one ball due to a weird push with a PW. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a shank but it flew like it. Straight into the trees :-/

But a good round today. A very good round.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • _Red__Red_ Members Posts: 32
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #52
    Was just above freezing on Saturday with the wind-chill.

Missed a 10 ft birdie putt on the last that would have got me back to level par.

Started out flushing it - ball was really fizzing off the face. Lost the timing a bit in the middle and got too steep. Recovered a bit and managed it through the last few holes.

Chucked the 917 3-wood in the bag for the first time in a while. Won't be seeing it again any time soon.

Absolutely nailing it with the 2-iron just now. Going remarkably far given the air/ground conditions.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Members Posts: 737 ✭✭
    Super nice here last Friday, so worked from 6am to noon and headed to the course. The high was about 50 and little wind. I did not even take my jacket out of the Jeep.

Could not do anything with the putter but catch the edges of the hole and the driver was inconsistent, but thankfully the irons were about as good as I can hit them. 1 birdie on the front and 4 on the back for a 74. Should have, could have, would have kind of round :-).
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro with Recoil F4
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,725 ✭✭
    FourTops wrote:

Yesterday I shot pretty well despite being 68F at 4pm.

that avatar....i'd say you are doing pretty well
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
    Minus one when we teed off. Frost that cleared by 10th hole. Some greens gripping, others taking massive bounces. Shot 76 and lost to our regular 16 hcp bandito who had 7 gross pars on back 9. Ouch.
    Man_O_War wrote:

FourTops wrote:

Yesterday I shot pretty well despite being 68F at 4pm.

that avatar....i'd say you are doing pretty well

That's the housekeeper..stop staring.
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 327 ✭✭
    Yesterday it was 48, sunny, no wind. Today was low 40s. sun, and windy. Played well both rounds.
    Played at PGA West....temp was 68F...but the wind chill factor dropped it to 67F.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,936 ✭✭
    If I’m lucky enough for the snow to miss gonna play Sat 33 degrees light winds and sunny. Should be epic!
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • dparkdpark Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭
    Posting done for the year in the Pacific NW. Shot a 77 last Saturday with a few gimmes. We play a skins game in the non-posting months and if you are out of the hole and on the green, just pick it up and move on.
    Old stuff:
    1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
    1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
    1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
    1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
    1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
    1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
    Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
    Adams 5050 16 fairway wood
    Adams A2P 20* hybrid
    Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW
    Titleist SM6 wedges 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Napa
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,029 ClubWRX
    St. George is a year-round golf location, however I probably should have passed playing yesterday. After a short frost delay we teed off when it was 33*. I was so layered up I felt like the little brother in The Christmas Story. Front 9 was a struggle with only 1 birdie in our foursome.

Sun broke cloud cover on the back 9 and we were able to shed some layers, but no one scored well. My buddy and I shot 79.

My handicap goes up every winter as my lowest warm weather scores drop out of the most recent 20 rounds. I just went from 5.7 to 7.2. Mind you- I’m not complaining because I’m still playing, and it will be nice soon enough.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course