Toulon calls out Scotty for copying

Comments

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,643 ✭✭
    Scotty is a little "emporer without clothes" it seems. No one in his organization brought attention to the Toulon cover? Honestly I could see Scotty not realizing it, but someone should of. Too easy to use STP red white and blue, etc. instead of Gulf. Or even just different stripe patterns. It's too similar but it's just one head cover, Sean seems whiny and irrelevant. Not to mention he tee'd up the fact that they each make 3 or 4 PING knock off designs. And Scotty was the first to go to a milled version which created the market for Toulon. Roll in the mud and everyone just gets dirty. It's a headcover.
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,332 ✭✭

deep18 wrote:

Not defending Scotty (or anyone else) but especially in putters, everyone copies everyone else. Yes there are a few examples of a groundbreaking design (like when the 2 ball came out) but for the most part, everyone is just tweaking everyone else’s ideas and around and around we go.

Even the 2 ball was "inspired" by Dave Pelz 3 ball putter.

But the difference is, Callaway bought the rights to the design from Pelz.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭
    03trdblack wrote:

I think people are getting confused about what he's claiming as copied. He's not referring to the putters but the headcover design and the special edition nature of the release using the exact same ideas and color scheme.

Scotty could have done something with the Shelby Cobra blue\white stripes or Jaguar British Racing Green but he chose the identical shell racing colors and identical headcover design down to the way it is laid out and everything. I'm not saying there's a copyright or anything but it's just lazy on Scotty's part and unoriginal.
    Cameron could have chosen the same colors and not been accused of copying. Those headcovers look like they bought Toulon covers and just removed a logo and changed the number.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,683 ✭✭
    I like seeing Sean Toulon throw some heat Cameron's way. Toulon has come on strong in the high-end putter market with both classic designs and original designs. I hope they continue to take market share from Cameron.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152

noodle3872 wrote:

Scotty's Circa 62 in yellow came out in 2006.

Toulon became a stand alone company in 2015 and started race car inspired cover shortly there after.

Bottom line; they all are great putter makers and share a love for race cars and racing.

I remember when he started using the circa 62 moniker like he was making putters since 1962, hilarious.
    He was born in 1962; that's the reason for circa 62.

Right, right, lol...That was not his messaging, it was deceptive.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    The replies to the original tweet are the best part of the whole saga.
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,404 ✭✭
    Wouldn’t expect anything less from Scotty Xerox.

Although it’s not like Toulon’s design is anything original.
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,280 ✭✭

noodle3872 wrote:

Toulon became a stand alone company in 2015 and started race car inspired cover shortly there after.

Bottom line; they all are great putter makers and share a love for race cars and racing.

I remember when he started using the circa 62 moniker like he was making putters since 1962, hilarious.

Not sure why anyone would be deceived into thinking that a guy who is middle aged now was making putters in 1962.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #40

noodle3872 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would be deceived into thinking that a guy who is middle aged now was making putters in 1962.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I remember reading 1962 is when TP Mills first started making putters that’s what the 62 is referencing. That line is a very Mills style line.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #41

noodle3872 wrote:

That's the Don! Plus, why use Circa then, unless he was been deceptive. He wasn't building anything in 1962.

Check the meaning of circa my friend.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    Circa 62 explained;

“Performance infused with Old World style. Craftsmanship expressed in modern design. Beauty in measured simplicity. The Circa 62 line is all of these—and more. Mixing the finest traditional putter aesthetics with innovative new design, Scotty Cameron brings you his creations with character reminiscent of the Handmade, Classic, and Scottsman families.”
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • ArpeggiArpeggi Members Posts: 3,686
    Toulon is a nobody.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
    Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
    Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron 009[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade TP5x[/font]
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 3,966 ✭✭
    Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

Sean Toulon is one of the most well known and well respected people in the golf equipment industry.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #45
    None of these high end putter makers has any right to claim that someone copied their design. Their putters are copies of someone else's designs. As far as the color scheme of the headcovers, give me a break. If they think they have something to protect, get a trademark or copyright and sue in court.

There have been very few original designs that worked since the ping designs. Most successful new designs gained popularity through performance in the hands of PGA tour pros. The #7 with the horns on the back and that taylormade spider come to mind. Not even sure who gets the credit for those.
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,012 ClubWRX
    Titleist suing Kirkland and PXG suing Taylormade are the most recent battles. This is standard MO for the industry.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    Callaway/Odyssey copies the red putters from TM.
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    RSinSG wrote:

Titleist suing Kirkland and PXG suing Taylormade are the most recent battles. This is standard MO for the industry.

I think the Titleist/Kirkland thing is over.
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #49
    cxx wrote:

RSinSG wrote:

I think the Titleist/Kirkland thing is over.

Is this why the K Sig is now a 3 piece instead of the original 4 piece?

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,794 ClubWRX
    In any case, propaganda for both sides, as more entry into this specialized putter market, even the front runner needs a little attention sometimes.

I would not be surprised is somebody ( not necessarily the principals ) from both sides had a little discussion before it happened.
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #51

Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

Sean Toulon is one of the most well known and well respected people in the golf equipment industry.

And one of the nicest most fun guys !
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,228 ClubWRX

Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

a genuine guy that is passionate about what he does. He is what is right about the golf industry.....
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • SPY ZINGERSPY ZINGER Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    Sean is the kind of guy that will give a nobody the time of day and treat them like they’re the most important person in the room. One of the best in this game.
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,867 ✭✭
    Huge case of “pot meet kettle”
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • reider69reider69 Posts: 601 ✭✭
    Marketing works. 99% of golfers I encounter do not have knowledge of the guys on this board in regards to equipment. I have had many many playing partners point out their Scotty to me and explain it is the best putter and they have never putted better. The general perception by Joe Average golfer is Scotty makes the best putters. Marketing has put this in their head and they believe it to be true. If SC steals ideas and designs almost no one notices or cares among the vast majority of golfers. They are just hoping they can afford to buy a SC one day. SC knows how to sell putters and I am sure his bank account makes him feel better when the haters hate!
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
    Warrick wrote:

Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

a genuine guy that is passionate about what he does. He is what is right about the golf industry.....

He’s a typical marketing guy. My conversation with him in 2016 followed by his Callaway live appearance turned me off of him and anything toulon related and I was a fan of the San Diego and what they were doing.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,228 ClubWRX
    GoGoErky wrote:

Warrick wrote:

Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

He's a typical marketing guy. My conversation with him in 2016 followed by his Callaway live appearance turned me off of him and anything toulon related and I was a fan of the San Diego and what they were doing.

My personal experience tells me all I need to know about the guy, pure class.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X

He's a typical marketing guy. My conversation with him in 2016 followed by his Callaway live appearance turned me off of him and anything toulon related and I was a fan of the San Diego and what they were doing.

My personal experience tells me all I need to know about the guy, pure class.

Not discrediting your personal experience. Everyone has the right to feel or think how they choose based on their experiences, interactions with who or whatever. Mine are different from you on him and that doesn’t make either of us right or wrong. This isn’t a thread about Sean or his family so I’m big going to take it down that road. Just offered a different take on a person mentioned here
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭
    I don’t think he means Toulon is a nobody , I think he means he’s not as big and we’ll known as Scotty .
  • DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ClubWRX
    All of these guys should be quiet, as they all plagiarize. True putter innovation ended with Karsten Solheim a long time ago!
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,217 ✭✭

deep18 wrote:

Not defending Scotty (or anyone else) but especially in putters, everyone copies everyone else. Yes there are a few examples of a groundbreaking design (like when the 2 ball came out) but for the most part, everyone is just tweaking everyone else’s ideas and around and around we go.

Even the 2 ball was "inspired" by Dave Pelz 3 ball putter.

Well, since Pelz was with Odyssey at the time, not really the same.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.