Golf New Years Resolution- This time next year this is what I want improved...

Comments

• ZenMasterCoopZenMasterCoop Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Although I originally learned how to play golf back when I was a teenager, I really only started playing regularly in late summer 2014. Prior to my wife buying me a set of clubs for my 40th birthday, I'd play once or twice a year. I've since played 210 rounds over the past 4+ years.

I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to improve but went through my stats on the TheGrint to put some actual numbers to them. Here's what stood out:

First, the good stuff:

-- Since 2014, I've improved my HCP each year. I finished 2014 at a 23.1 and as of now I'm down to the lowest I've ever been at 15.5

-- My average score has dropped each year from 99.0 -> 97.9 -> 96.7 -> 96.2 -> 93.2.

-- I picked up a full GIR from last year to this year, improving from 4.1 to 5.1

-- I've improved my par-3 GIR percentage to over 30% for the first time

Now for the improvement opportunities:

-- Putting, putting, putting. I average 35-36 putts per round. Where I really need to improve is the percentage of time I 3-putt (or worse). In 2018 I had 3+ putts a whopping 18.2% of the time. I only played Kapalua Plantation once so I can't blame it all on that. If I could cut that in half, I'd drop 1.5 strokes. For 2018, my goal is cutting my 3-putt % down to 12.6% which would drop a stroke.

-- Par-3 GIR% is 31.5%. Yes, it's over 30% for the first time ever but 31.5% is not good. My goal here is 44%, an increase of 0.5 per round.

-- Fairway % is 37.4%, 5.2 per round. Increasing by 1 per round would be 44.5% so that's my goal for 2019.

Decreasing the 3-putt % is goal #1.
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,975 ✭✭
    Get in the golf business so I can enjoy what I do.
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova
  • RuffingItRuffingIt Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I've had my best tee ball game this season on short par 4s, but it exposed how bad i am with a wedge with anything less than 80yds to the pin. Even worse when I'm left with short sided on the fringe. Also, try to get to course at least half hour before tee time.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5˚ (Kuro Kage Silver Tini X)
    Ping G410 3 wood (Ping Tour stiff)
    Nike vr pro ltd 5 wood (UST Mamiya VTS 85S silver)
    Nike vr pro combo 3-PW (S300)
    Nike Engage 55˚ss, 60˚ds
    Ping Karsten TR Anser 5 33"

in rotation
    Nike Method Origin B2-01 33" / Nike Method Matter B2-01 33"
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,518 ✭✭
    edited Dec 29, 2018 #65
    Putting for sure.

I play in two separate 'leagues', the Men's league at my home course and a casual league with buddies where we play 3 weekend days each month. I realized that my putting game did not travel well. And unfortunately, I lost my touch at my home course too. I tried everything. Changing my grip, moving from putting with my hands to putting with my shoulders. I even fought the yips for awhile.

I used to be a 'feel' putter. I really need to go to a more deliberate method of pacing putts, knowing my putting distance by the length of backstroke and being able to adjust to different course conditions.
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • Sean289Sean289 Members Posts: 902 ✭✭
    For me, to become less of a putter ho and not have the desire to change the flat stick so quickly. To not look for a “quick fix” so hastily and put in more hours work.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: PING G400 Max[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: PING G30[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 Wood: PING G30[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 Hybrid: Taylormade M3[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4-9: PING G Series[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PW: Titleist Vokey SM5 48[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SW: Titleist Vokey SM5 52[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LW: Titleist Vokey SM5 60[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: PING Anser Tr 1966[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Titleist ProV1x[/font]
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,879 ✭✭
    Got down to 9 this year.. My short game saves me most of the time..

I want get down to 5, which means I need to be more consistent with my long game..

also need to get in better shape.. just Golf doesn't seem to help..
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,434 ✭✭
    Rosco1216 wrote:

Wait ........ what?
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    Lose 25 pounds and end the year with the same clubs I start the year with. Neither will be EZ for a club ho who enjoys food............................a lot.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • mupepperboymupepperboy Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Would like to shoot under par in 2019. Had a few subpar 9hole scores but time to string two good nines together!

Had hoped to shoot par by my birthday (March) but since that came unexpectedly early it’s time to tweak the new year’s goal...
  • ihatecats18ihatecats18 Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Make it through a local qualifier for a State or regional tournament. I've been having 2 to 3 blow up holes that have derailed any chances the past 2 years
    • Driver: Cobra FlyZ *10
    • Wood: Cobra FlyZ 3/4 set to 16
    • Hybrid: Cobra F7 set to 20
    • Irons: Wilson F 100, 5-PW
    • Wedges: Titleist- GW 52 SM4 - SW 56 SM4.
    • Putter: Never Compromise Dinero 35"

• Ball: TM TP5
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Posts: 6,079 ClubWRX
    My main goal is a bit hard to quantify, but it’s to play more freely and without fear of what might happen if I don’t pull off a shot. I’ve gotten better over the past couple of years of not giving up after a bad hole or two, and have gotten better about putting up decent scores after a bad start, and this is the next step in the evolution of my mental game.

In the same vein, but somewhat opposing to the aggressive mindset, I also want to improve my decision making on approach shots. I basically aim at the flag all the time. I want to force myself to take an extra 5 seconds to look at the shot and if it’s a sucker pin or a shot that doesn’t fit my eye, aim more conservatively, and make a committed swing at that target.

For measurable goals, I want to drop about 35 lbs, and get my handicap, which last year ranged from 0.3-1.4 down into plus territory for an extended period. You wouldn’t think it, but these two things are also somewhat opposed. I’ve played some of my best golf while around my current weight, and have seen my handicap go up when I’ve gotten around my target weight. I think that’s more coincidence than anything, and for the longevity of my ability to hit the ball a long way and my longevity period with a history of heart disease in my family, fitness needs to be a huge priority.
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
    Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Titleist Vokey Forged 52F & 58K, DG S400,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200 (sometimes)
    Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil
    WITB Link
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited Dec 30, 2018 #73
    Golf fitness.

I'm in decent enough shape for a guy in his early 30's, but I'm in pretty mediocre golf shape. I am not really flexible and I end up with a sore back and shoulders far too frequently.

A couple weeks ago I did the diagnostic tests in Joey Diovisalvi's "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" and failed miserably. I am simply NOT flexible or balanced enough and it causes me to compensate in other ways with my swing. I started doing the workouts in that book and have already felt the difference in my swing in a couple weeks. Of course it's winter and I can't see how that translates to the course, but I'm excited to really give it a go.
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Cobra King F6 Baffler, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OHMembers Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    llewol007 wrote:

Probably a higher GIR and definitely more birdie putts within my 10 foot circle.

Yep. Getting got more GIR is the goal. That’ll take more fairways off the tee and sharpening up the iron play. Want to get to 9 hdcp
    Ping G400, 9, adjusted to 10
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Rogue 5-wood, 19
    Epic 4 hybrid, 23
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

...for now
  • honestveekhonestveek Members Posts: 36
    Break 80

Be less fat

Stop being a headcase when things go wrong
  • Showtime9Showtime9 MonsterHeel Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

I want to stop golfing with my wife and her friends. Sure it doesn't happen often, but it really should never happen. I need to have more integrity than I did in 2018.

So essentially its a "death wish" you have for a resolution?
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    edited Dec 31, 2018 #77
    Get below 10 from 13 improved eating drinking during the rounds and practice short game more is probably fastest route
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 492 ✭✭
    1)) Focus on course management. Too often I tee up without knowing or planning where to miss, yardage to hazards, etc.

2) Learn to relax, focus only on the present shot, and forget about the last horrible or amazing shot.

3) Get rid of my hook and hit more fairways off the tee.
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    More consistent mental game and improving physical fitness. Not the most flexible guy and when I don't concentrate on making a full turn with my hips on the back swing and proper weight transfer, it all goes to ****. Happens more so on the bad days and when I focus on it, take some practice swings, it works. Too often I get the yardage, pull the club, little waggle and swing and wonder why it didn't go as planned.
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,514 ✭✭
    I am currently a 5 that is trending in the right direction...

I am working on my driver game, its been holding me back the past year. I finally went back to a driver and shaft that I have confidence in. My ONLY goal this year is to win my club championship and be the oldest player on the All Navy Golf Team!

Taylormade M3 GD IZ

Good luck everyone!
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭
    Play more than once a week.

• onelochevyonelochevy Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    My resolution is to play more. My dad was always my golfing parter and he passed away last March. I havent been on a course since. Few trips to the range with my 4 year old son but no actual rounds. I need to change that this year.
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 142 ClubWRX
    Find joy in the game and the process of getting better again. My father became diagnosed with a serious illness and most things I enjoyed prior to that seem to have become a detestable luxury under the circumstances. Other than that try to hit the long irons more consistently which is hard to do when you've played 2 full rounds and four other times at a local muni.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭
    Improve driving, hit more fairways.

I had a fairly stellar year last year, predominantly because I scrambled so well but that will only take you so far.

I played Silloth in September in supposedly 20 mph winds (think 124 yd 6 iron and 178 yd PW) it destroyed me and showed up my driving for what it is. Since then I have been working on flattening the plane and getting it inside on the way through more consistently, hopefully eliminating the over the top move and thus eliminating my stock pull.

There is still work to do and I have 3 months left to do it, I'm confident that I will.
    Callaway Rogue 9* PX Evenflow
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    TM R Series 50, 56,& 60 KBS Hi Rev
    Mizuno T105
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,663 ✭✭

Rosco1216 wrote:

Wait ........ what?

Yet another one who has succumb to having any good sense cloaked by fantasy.
  • OveezyOveezy Members Posts: 146 ✭✭
    edited Jan 2, 2019 1:39pm #86
    My goal this year is to to shoot in the 70’s more frequently. This year my goal was to break 80 and I did maybe 10 times. I finally got a handicap and I’m at 8.6. I have 1-2 blow up holes a round and 3 puts kill me. The last round I played I had 4-5 3 putts and 2 double boogies and shot 85. I missed a 3-4 foot putt for birdie. It didn’t do much I just pushed it. Putting is killing me more than anything else. Any putting tips to help????
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 749 ✭✭
    For the love of God, some consistency would be nice. Last July I shot a 78 in a tournament, no double bogey's, played great. About a month later I shot a 109 at a different tournament. As part of my resolution for this, I did pull the trigger on a couple new shafts for my driver and 3 wood that are much shorter to help. Hopefully it works.
    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV 65 Stiff
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood (16.0 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (21.5 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - Stock Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Odyssey White Ice Rossie (34")
  • I need to find my swing...it's taken 38 yrs now and i'm getting fed up! I know it's out there and I will keep looking!
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 597 ✭✭
    Keep golf in perspective, it's a game and therefore should be fun first and foremost.

Keep my Club-Ho 'dark passenger' in check, I made it through 2018, and other than an Epic Flash driver, don't plan on buying any new sticks.

Break 70 again, it's been a couple of years since last done so.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • nmpete11nmpete11 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Only resolution is to get out and play more!
    [font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Callaway Rogue SZ 9* / Fujikura Pro 2.0 6X[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Taylormade 2017 M2 Tour 15* / Kuro Kage 70 X[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno [/font]MP 18 Fli-Hi 2 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI (testing for fun)[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Taylormade p790 3 / [/background][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Graphite Design Tour AD DI[/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Cobra King CB (4-6) MB (7-9) / DG X100[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Titleist SM6 48/54/60 / Vokey Wedge Flex[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Evnroll ER2[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif][background=transparent]Taylormade TP5x[/background][/font]
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX
    I had one good round last year, an 81. The others were 85 to 91 on average. This year I am very optimistic as I just picked up some CF16 irons. My driving is very good, my strong point, short game has been disastrous as I struggle with the putter and wedges. The CF 16 wedges are very good, and I hope it continues. I am at 17 right now and want 12 real bad. The weather was a problem last year, and this year is starting out just as bad. I need less rain here, and the grass to grow without the mud underneath. If the short game keeps improving then I can expect a better year than last. The physical side gets worse, but what can you do about that. Turned 62 last month, and need to eat better for sure. Goals; improve short game, ball striking, mental side, set up routine, and learn to smile more when playing.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX