Tiger Woods 2019 Taylormade Irons...P7TW?

Comments

• MCozMCoz Members Posts: 884 ✭✭

budcangolf wrote:

My guess would be that they let MT make the first set and Tiger obviously liked them so they took those heads and Milled the set so they can reproduce the exact same set tiger plays and sell them for $1500+ at retail

Only $1500?

Likely about 1800 or less sets at $2,500 per. A small run of a set like this is very expensive to make. if they do make a set to sell they won't do it to make small margins and I wouldn't expect them to do so. There would be numerous sets for TW himself. Then numerous other sets to be given to other players and special VIPs plus some sets for potential up coming collegiate players and selected amateurs. Those are not sold for any return and yet at great costs. That's the way it has gone in the past on a smaller scale without the electricity of TW. Not many years ago TM spent great amounts of money to make various special custom prototype clubs (irons and woods) for all of their feature staff players or others that they may tried to woo into their fold. Mac Gregor used to do hand made clubs for various players from other companies, I was there years ago in Albany GA and saw racks of protos and back up clubs for many notable and big name players who may or may not have been representing MacGregor Don White himself made me a special set of wedges to my specs and grinds out of very raw, rough forged blank "blocks" while I sat and watched most of it. They finely finished them and sent them to me a couple of days later. Cost to me $0, MacGregor picked up the tab. Interestingly such things and hand protos from scratch are not as common in this decade.
    DRIVER- TaylorMade 2019 M5 - 460 Tour issue/Fuji Evolution 757 Speeder V--S
    3wd- TM 2017 M1 Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 Evolution IV -S
    1i - Cleveland HiBore 16* Tour Dept 3.2 torque S tipped 1" (2-3i replacement)
    Tour 5 - TM RBZ Stg 2 23.5* Fuji MCH 80-S
    Irons 4 & 5-TM M1 Fuji Pro 95i - S ,6 thru 9, PW TM P760 Fujikura Pro 95i-S
    SW- TaylorMade Hi Toe 54* 4-way grind 105 Modus S
    LW- TaylorMade HI TOE- Tour Dept small head, soft heel 4 way grind 60* bent to 59* Steelfiber 110g
    Putter- Bobby Grace-- M.Coz Bandsaw Prototype
  • ignitewvuignitewvu Members Posts: 2,054 ✭✭
    EricWGolf wrote:

jll62 wrote:

A couple of thoughts. All the 730 protos started off as milled heads before they forged heads. Could be the same here and they're milled as they finalize all the shaping, then he'll get forged ones later.

But I have another thought. Take a look at the sole grinds on the irons. They're milled in the same way as the MG wedges. Could be that they're forged and then the sole is milled. Or, maybe they're just milled heads. I'm talking myself in circles.

Can't wait to hear more!

I can’t imagine they would put an iron in TW’s hands if it wasn’t forged. Even for testing. So, forged with a milled face/grooves??

Just thinking out loud here.

Mike Taylor gets the forged blanks and mills them to TW's spec....I guarantee you that is how these are processed, just like his wedges. This set has a little more TM flair but I'm sure they were built the same way.
    M5 9 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6 Stiff
    M3 15 3 Wood Mitsubishi Tensei AV 75 Stiff
    M1 19 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos Blue 80HB Stiff
    M1 4i @ 39" KBS Tour 105
    Bridgestone J15DPF 5-PW DG Pro S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 & 60 DGS200
    Odyessey Exo 7 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,503 ✭✭
    MCoz wrote:

budcangolf wrote:

My guess would be that they let MT make the first set and Tiger obviously liked them so they took those heads and Milled the set so they can reproduce the exact same set tiger plays and sell them for $1500+ at retail

Only $1500?

Likely about 1800 or less sets at $2,500 per. A small run of a set like this is very expensive to make. if they do make a set to sell they won't do it to make small margins and I wouldn't expect them to do so. There would be numerous sets for TW himself. Then numerous other sets to be given to other players and special VIPs plus some sets for potential up coming collegiate players and selected amateurs. Those are not sold for any return and yet at great costs. That's the way it has gone in the past on a smaller scale without the electricity of TW. Not many years ago TM spent great amounts of money to make various special custom prototype clubs (irons and woods) for all of their feature staff players or others that they may tried to woo into their fold. Mac Gregor used to do hand made clubs for various players from other companies, I was there years ago in Albany GA and saw racks of protos and back up clubs for many notable and big name players who may or may not have been representing MacGregor Don White himself made me a special set of wedges to my specs and grinds out of very raw, rough forged blank "blocks" while I sat and watched most of it. They finely finished them and sent them to me a couple of days later. Cost to me $0, MacGregor picked up the tab. Interestingly such things and hand protos from scratch are not as common in this decade.

I hope they are a full bore release like the P730s.
  • cota0429cota0429 ClubWRX Posts: 3,512 ClubWRX
    From what I understand is TW has weight added to certain parts of the head and a lot of extra work goes into his heads. Something that can’t just be “milled” these looks sweet though and off the rack it might be close in shape to what he plays but we most likely will never get something from TM that TW truly plays.
    PING G400 LST Diamana LTD D+ 60 TX
    Callaway Rogue Diamana LTD D+ 80 TX
    Artisan VR Pro's by Mike Taylor X100 soft stepped TW Specs
    SM7 52F, 56M, Oven Green Dot Engage 60 TS
    TW Prototype 001

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/
    cota0429 wrote:

From what I understand is TW has weight added to certain parts of the head and a lot of extra work goes into his heads. Something that can’t just be “milled” these looks sweet though and off the rack it might be close in shape to what he plays but we most likely will never get something from TM that TW truly plays.

Heck, Ill take a close resemblance to TWs irons anytime. Wedges too..
  • b81smithb81smith ClubWRX Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Cannot believe some people get to do things like this for a living. Wow. We toil all day everyday and barely scrape by. Others coast through life and make a killing.

This video is awesome.
    Ben S
    Hailing from North Aurora
    WITB:
    Smoke Wagon: Ping G LST 10.5 with Diamana Blue (JDM version) 70X set to standard
    Fairway: Ping G 3 wood - 14.5 with Tour 80 or UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red 89 in X flex set to standard
    Hybrid: Ping G 3 hybrid 19 deg with Tour 90 in S flex tipped .5 extra
    Irons: 4-P Mizuno MP-30 all weighted to D5 with DG x-100's
    Wedges: 50, 54, 58 - Ping Glide 2.0 all with DG S-400
    Putter: Mizuno Black Carbon by Bettinardi - BC-1 flamed finish
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,155 ✭✭
    hold on...

He's only testing two irons. Therefore it might take some time to get the atoms in the head are in proper alignment.

Also, on the wedge shot, everyone else hits a hi toe wedge, tiger stays with his normal LW

Right now, nothing to see here but maybe, just maybe in the future

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
    ago33 wrote:

hold on...

He's only testing two irons. Therefore it might take some time to get the atoms in the head are in proper alignment.

Also, on the wedge shot, everyone else hits a hi toe wedge, tiger stays with his normal LW

Yeah, I’m not so sure about that...
  • mBiden2mBiden2 #15 and counting..... Atlanta, GAMembers Posts: 760 ✭✭
    cota0429 wrote:

Glad to see a Nike guru, like yourself, chiming in on this topic. Great interview on TG2 by the way. I envy your club collection and Nike “one offs”. Can’t wait to see your MT wedges when you get them!
    WITB

TM R9 460 TP 9.5* - Fujikura Motore F1 65X
    TM R9 TP 3W 15* - Fujikura Motore F1 85S
    TM P790 3 & 4 - Nippon Modus3 T 105X
    TM P790 5-PW - Nippon Modus3 T 120S
    TM MG 50* - Nippon Modus3 T 120S
    TM Z TP 54* & 58* - Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-Slant
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,850 ✭✭
    cota0429 wrote:

Exactly true. Tm can keep trying. But you’re going to see artisan blades and wedges in the bag in the end.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    ago33 wrote:

hold on...

Exactly. All you’re seeing is a test round. And we know how quick he kicks things to the curb. Otherwise the sticks he’s playing wouldn’t still be in the bag.

ago33 wrote:

hold on...

Exactly. All you’re seeing is a test round. And we know how quick he kicks things to the curb. Otherwise the sticks he’s playing wouldn’t still be in the bag.

TW is slowly turning into a club ho. You never know, some of the new stuff he is testing could make its way to his bag this year. I hope we find out soon.
  • MCozMCoz Members Posts: 884 ✭✭
    [background=transparent]Tiger has always tested other equipment in off tour rounds at home. Even when tied to Nike contracts. I know TM made Drivers and FWs numerous times over the years. Pretty sure there was others. I believe that Orlimar made some testers for him in his early Titleist days also.[/background]
    DRIVER- TaylorMade 2019 M5 - 460 Tour issue/Fuji Evolution 757 Speeder V--S
    3wd- TM 2017 M1 Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 Evolution IV -S
    1i - Cleveland HiBore 16* Tour Dept 3.2 torque S tipped 1" (2-3i replacement)
    Tour 5 - TM RBZ Stg 2 23.5* Fuji MCH 80-S
    Irons 4 & 5-TM M1 Fuji Pro 95i - S ,6 thru 9, PW TM P760 Fujikura Pro 95i-S
    SW- TaylorMade Hi Toe 54* 4-way grind 105 Modus S
    LW- TaylorMade HI TOE- Tour Dept small head, soft heel 4 way grind 60* bent to 59* Steelfiber 110g
    Putter- Bobby Grace-- M.Coz Bandsaw Prototype
    edited Jan 6, 2019 6:48pm #45
    MCoz wrote:

[background=transparent]Tiger has always tested other equipment in off tour rounds at home. Even when tied to Nike contracts. I know TM made Drivers and FWs numerous times over the years. Pretty sure there was others. I believe that Orlimar made some testers for him in his early Titleist days also.[/background]

Yep, TW loved the R510 TP bad even had it in the bag very very briefly.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,090 ClubWRX
    EricWGolf wrote:

jll62 wrote:

A couple of thoughts. All the 730 protos started off as milled heads before they forged heads. Could be the same here and they're milled as they finalize all the shaping, then he'll get forged ones later.

But I have another thought. Take a look at the sole grinds on the irons. They're milled in the same way as the MG wedges. Could be that they're forged and then the sole is milled. Or, maybe they're just milled heads. I'm talking myself in circles.

Can't wait to hear more!

I can’t imagine they would put an iron in TW’s hands if it wasn’t forged. Even for testing. So, forged with a milled face/grooves??

Just thinking out loud here.

You can mill a club head from a forged block of carbon steel. They can forge it into a rectangular block (or whatever other rough shape they want to start with) and throw it into the CNC mill and out comes a club. I'm going to say that they've also done some final grinding/shaping/finishing to dial it in even further to Tiger's liking.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members Posts: 896 ✭✭

MCoz wrote:

I believe it was actually a R500.
      • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
      • LTD 14.5* Matrix 8M2
      • Vapor Fly Pro 3
      • Titleist T-MB 4
      • VR Forged 5-9
      • SM5 46*
      • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
      • PM Grind 64
      • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T
    edited Jan 7, 2019 2:13pm #48
    swgolf12 wrote:

MCoz wrote:

I believe it was actually a R500.

I’ll look for the article/pic. He actually had the R510 TP, may have been in a practice round or something. The site I was on at the time was in a total uproar..
  • TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Golf CarlsbadSponsors Posts: 108 ✭✭
    You mean this?

R510 TP

May 2003

Deutsche Bank SAP Open, Gut Laden GC, Hamburg, Germany

TaylorMade Golf Official Account
    Community: https://community.taylormadegolf.com/
    Podcast: https://www.taylormadegolf.com/podcast.html
    Service: +1 866 530 8624
  • JakeW13JakeW13 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

You mean this?

R510 TP

May 2003

Any comments or teasers you can give us on the P7TWs Tiger's got in his bag?
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 9 Degrees Flat setting, Weight Neutral, Accra TZ5 65 M5
    FW: Titleist TS2 3W, 15 Degrees, Graphite Design Tour AD Blue 75 X
    3-AW: Taylormade P790s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 105S
    54&60: Cleveland CBX KBS 610 Wedge S
    Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy 34"
    Ball: Taylormade TP5x (2019)
  • TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Golf CarlsbadSponsors Posts: 108 ✭✭

ago33 wrote:

hold on...

TW is slowly turning into a club ho. You never know, some of the new stuff he is testing could make its way to his bag this year. I hope we find out soon.

When do you think he'll play them? #AskingForAFriend
    TaylorMade Golf Official Account
    Community: https://community.taylormadegolf.com/
    Podcast: https://www.taylormadegolf.com/podcast.html
    Service: +1 866 530 8624
  • youngwaldoyoungwaldo NJMembers Posts: 3,211 ✭✭
    Very nice. So pure.

Wk
    M5 Tour 9.0 TENSEI TOUR ORANGE 60TX 45"   
    M5 3W TENSEI BLUE 70X
    TM P760 3-5 & TM P730 6-PW TT DG TI X100
    VOKEY SM6 Black 5208M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    VOKEY SM6 Black 5608M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    VOKEY SM6 Black 6008M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    TM MINI SPIDER
  • MuniPukeLifeMuniPukeLife MuniPuke Members Posts: 138 ✭✭
    MCoz wrote:

budcangolf wrote:

Only $1500?

That's awesome.
    M3 460 AD-DI 7X
    M4 Tour AD-DI 7S
    P790 UDI HZRDUS 6.0
    TP UDI 3 C-TLITE 110
    716 AP2 4-PW S300 AMT
    SM6 53S, 58M S300
    Select Newport 2
    Vice Pro

You mean this?

R510 TP

May 2003

Bingo:)

ago33 wrote:

hold on...

Hopefully we see them here in a few weeks:)
  • 57Seve57Seve Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Those look **** fine to me. Can't wait to see what he does with them this season.

Titleist 910 D2 7.5* (Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 S/44")
    Titleist 906 F2 18* 5W (TT DG S300)
    Mizuno MP4 Irons, 4-9 (TT DG S300)
    Titleist Vokey SM5 48* F Grind (TT DG Wedge Shaft)
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* M Grind (TT DG Wedge Shaft)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 1995 Classic Laguna

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 457 ✭✭
    I am not a machinist, but isn’t the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I’d assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?
    edited Jan 8, 2019 8:32am #58

ago33 wrote:

hold on...

Will he play them is the question. And if he does which revision will it be ?

chadly643 wrote:

I am not a machinist, but isn’t the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I’d assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?

In theory. Yes. I’d say Mr Taylor has his hands on them regardless of whether a mill or his grinders are used. Tm had trouble building the first set to suit tiger ...months of trying. . No reason to think they have cracked the code now.
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,191 ✭✭

ago33 wrote:

hold on...

Hopefully we see them here in a few weeks:)

On the BST?
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭
    chadly643 wrote:

I am not a machinist, but isn't the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I'd assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?

Chance are they take MT's grind, put it on a CMM, digitize profile and program a NC miller to replicate it to near exact specs and then finish sand.

I worry retail will be neutered because TW likes them heavy, tall faced and with added mass in the vertical. My hope is that they don't mess with it, in the way it was done on the 681 or get real dopey and strengthen the lofts. Offer them in S400, to true spec, I'm buying them.