what club makes the best weapon?

LifeStory ·  
LifeStoryLifeStory  380WRX Points: 66Handicap: >:(Members Posts: 380 Greens

Okay so given that there was a murder last year on the women's minitour that happened while a girl was playing a practice round in the morning by herself...
Say you found yourself in a similar predicament where a crazed individual comes at you while you're in the middle of a relaxing round, what club is your go-to for self defense?
wedge for heft and control? long iron for reach? wood because you couldn't process what was happening and just grabbed whatever your hand landed on 1st?
would the knee jerk reaction be to just drop the clubs and run? would a person even think to grab a club and stand their ground, or would the adrenaline be too high to make such a choice in such a circumstance?
either way, scary hearing these stories.
do golf clubs even make good self defense weapons or would the shafts just snap upon 1st strike 95% of the time?

what would you choose? what would you do?

Posted:

Comments

• Dash BoogieDash Boogie Hole in Three  148WRX Points: 72Handicap: 12Members Posts: 148 Fairways

Belly Blade Putter - Tank Version

Posted:

Driver: Ping G400 Max, UST Mamiya ATTAS Coool 6S
    Fairway: Ping G25 4 wood, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7S
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4-9, JPX 919 Forged PW, GW, Modus 105
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4, 56 and 60
    Putter: SeeMore DB4X, Scotty Cameron X5, Odyssey V-Line Fang CH

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SoloShot84SoloShot84  473WRX Points: 203Members Posts: 473 Greens

setup a short tee. 2 preshot routine swing. aim and shoot. I say Driving Iron for accuracy and penetrating ball flight

Posted:
  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada.  442WRX Points: 269Members Posts: 442 Greens

Pull the pm grind and square off with the f*cker lol

Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5-PW (Mizuno MP-4 for fun)
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    PM Grind 60*
    Studio Select NP2 mid slant 
  • KenRobieKenRobie  144WRX Points: 70Members Posts: 144 Fairways

Pretty dark question for the golf scene. However the most lethal club in my bag is my putter, it'l cut your heart out when it turns on ya.!!!

Posted:
  • BottleCapBottleCap  1494WRX Points: 249Members Posts: 1,494 Platinum Tees

4 iron for me

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  3144WRX Points: 1,285Handicap: 1.7Members Posts: 3,144 Titanium Tees

The toe of a traditional anser style putter, or any other putter with a fairly blunted edge, will probably by the most effective at delivering effective concentrated force to a variety of places on the body (namely the head), plus its likely the shortest club in the bag which gives you a greater chance of hitting what you're swinging at. Next up would probably be any given shorter iron for similar reasons, 9-irons have been known to do serious damage to tigers, lol. Your driver probably seems appealing but the hollow design will offer less blunt force overall and the shafts are more likely to snap.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Red Dot

WITB Thread

Advertisement
  • I.B. Golfin'I.B. Golfin'  128WRX Points: 50Handicap: 6.9Members Posts: 128 Fairways

Used to be my bat-winged Odyssey putter, guaranteed to leave 4 holes in someone if flipped around. Now I'd have to go with my 105g steel shafted 3h, would leave a helluva dent on someone's shin/chin if necessary.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in California 9693WRX Points: 970Handicap: ~8Members Posts: 9,693 Titanium Tees

Surely it has to be an SGI 5 iron, as then you have a ready made shovel to bury the body afterwards.
    Amirite? Ba-doom-tish. Tip your servers folks

Posted:
  • NokeNoke  2236WRX Points: 293Members Posts: 2,236 Platinum Tees

Your legs and your vocal cords.

And yes I am serious.

Posted:
  • cxxcxx  3240WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 3,240 Titanium Tees

All my putters are rounded. The sand wedge is just right. Heavy and a sharp leading edge. Not too long either.

Posted:
  • rich_s2rich_s2 wisconsin 997WRX Points: 777Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 997 Golden Tee

been there, used the 54. Only problem was the 12 degrees of bounce. 6 would have been better with a S grind. Couple options with that club, great workability. You are only limited by your imagination.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Madison WI 305WRX Points: 79Unregistered Posts: 305 Greens

A good sand wedge can save you so many strokes.....

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5833WRX Points: 1,318Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,833 Titanium Tees

Ha, a couple of us actually talked about the other day. There was a weird guy walking down the beach next to the course so we were trying to figure out what we would do.

My choice was the lob wedge. My theory is that the size of my putter would ordinarily mean that I went for that but then I am having to get the headcover off which saw it fall behind the lobber in the pecking order.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member  1012WRX Points: 128Members Posts: 1,012 Platinum Tees

Wedginald McWedgeworth.

Posted:

Srixon 10.2 degrees. Accra TZ5 80
    Srixon 16.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 90
    Srixon 21.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 97
    Srixon Z 4-PW. TI S400
    Cleveland 52, 58. Raw. TI S400
    Byron Morgan DH89

• MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29348WRX Points: 2,246Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,348 Titanium Tees

i'd think a 7 or 8 iron would be the best. A wood is too flimsy and long. The graphite could break easier, longer to swing. etc. I'd defintely avoid graphite shafted clubs. putters are equally bad as i don't think their build quality is as rugged

I think a 7 iron would be it, very maneuverable, you can swing it quickly. steel shafted , still would do a ton of damage.

Like if you have a medieval warrior with a sword and one with one of those maces on a long rope. The guy with the sword just needs to avoid one shot and once he gets in close he's got it won. I'd think you'd go with a shorter club in this case

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Hybrid Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • LifeStoryLifeStory  380WRX Points: 66Handicap: >:(Members Posts: 380 Greens

your opinions are all super fascinating tbh...
    didn't expect this much variation.
    :open_mouth:

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Murphy76Murphy76  137WRX Points: 171Members Posts: 137 Fairways

What is the appropriate loft for testicles?

I suppose it depends how far from the 'pin' you are......

Posted:
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing  3754WRX Points: 1,096Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,754 Titanium Tees

You want a wedge - short shaft and heavy head. Swing with purpose if this is for real, if you swing a wedge at someone and misconnect they could take it from you. I’m serious here as I have been there, if you are in a situation where you have to defend yourself that you think might be for your life - do not hesitate, and do not hold back. The detective I spoke with after an attempted mugging said a lot of people think just showing they will defend themselves is enough, and fall victim to fright when the attacker keeps coming. You have to drop them, then render them unable to continue- short shaft for control, that heavy headed wedge for damage. Use it.

Posted:

On -, @golfandfishing said:

You want a wedge - short shaft and heavy head. Swing with purpose if this is for real, if you swing a wedge at someone and misconnect they could take it from you. I’m serious here as I have been there, if you are in a situation where you have to defend yourself that you think might be for your life - do not hesitate, and do not hold back. The detective I spoke with after an attempted mugging said a lot of people think just showing they will defend themselves is enough, and fall victim to fright when the attacker keeps coming. You have to drop them, then render them unable to continue- short shaft for control, that heavy headed wedge for damage. Use it.

i wish you could elaborate on your personal experience with having to defend yourself :open_mouth: sounds intriguing

Posted:
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing  3754WRX Points: 1,096Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,754 Titanium Tees

Well, I work downtown and went to a ballgame after work, it’s a short walk in a well populated area from our building to Chase Field so there isn't a reason to drive at all. Walking back I saw a homeless guy and I went to the far side of the sidewalk, he came over to stay in my path. I went back to the right and so did he, and now we were very close. I made the last second move to miss him and he reached out and pushed me against a building, as he was saying “I need your wallet” I landed one in his face and gave him two more in the throat. He was gasping for air but still on his feet, and I landed several more to his head and throat. A security guard in a nearby building saw and came out, he peppered the guy and zip tied him. Police came and security guy showed them cct they had of the street. Homeless guy had a knife that he never got out, I never gave him the chance. Defending yourself is like laying up- don’t toy with it, do it. Don’t do just enough to just instigate a fight, finish it. If you are laying up don’t get as close to the water as possible, be serious and lay up. During that 30 seconds I had no intention of letting that guy regain control. If I had pushed him off and tried to run then his knife would have come out. Be serious when defending yourself, attackers aren’t going to drop and run like in the movies.

Posted:

Well, I work downtown and went to a ballgame after work, it’s a short walk in a well populated area from our building to Chase Field so there isn't a reason to drive at all. Walking back I saw a homeless guy and I went to the far side of the sidewalk, he came over to stay in my path. I went back to the right and so did he, and now we were very close. I made the last second move to miss him and he reached out and pushed me against a building, as he was saying “I need your wallet” I landed one in his face and gave him two more in the throat. He was gasping for air but still on his feet, and I landed several more to his head and throat. A security guard in a nearby building saw and came out, he peppered the guy and zip tied him. Police came and security guy showed them cct they had of the street. Homeless guy had a knife that he never got out, I never gave him the chance. Defending yourself is like laying up- don’t toy with it, do it. Don’t do just enough to just instigate a fight, finish it. If you are laying up don’t get as close to the water as possible, be serious and lay up. During that 30 seconds I had no intention of letting that guy regain control. If I had pushed him off and tried to run then his knife would have come out. Be serious when defending yourself, attackers aren’t going to drop and run like in the movies.

good lord
    that's intense that is
    glad you're alright man
    thx for sharing & i appreciate the wisdom

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  28346WRX Points: 4,805Members Posts: 28,346 Titanium Tees

“crazed individual comes at you while you're in the middle of a relaxing”

This happens everyday in the subway.

Just ignore them til they go away.

If I have to actually look at you.

You got a problem ; )

Posted:
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Trident/Lowcountry area 412WRX Points: 160Handicap: ManyMembers Posts: 412 Greens

A buddy of mine actually had to do this about 5-6 years ago. It was the middle of the night and he woke up to someone breaking into his house. He jumped out of bed, ran to his home office next to his bedroom and grabbed his 7 iron (Said he just grabbed an iron not really picking one.) Ended up beating the **** out of the intruder pretty bad to the tune of multiple broken bones and he wasnt able to escape. The police actually found the outcome kinda funny and told him he did a good job. My buddy didnt think it was too funny at the time and ended up buying a “lead thrower” and new 7 iron. He laughs about it all now. So yea a 7 iron will get the job done if need be.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20493WRX Points: 4,393ClubWRX Posts: 20,493 ClubWRX

On -, @LifeStory said:

Okay so given that there was a murder last year on the women's minitour that happened while a girl was playing a practice round in the morning by herself...
    Say you found yourself in a similar predicament where a crazed individual comes at you while you're in the middle of a relaxing round, what club is your go-to for self defense?
    wedge for heft and control? long iron for reach? wood because you couldn't process what was happening and just grabbed whatever your hand landed on 1st?
    would the knee jerk reaction be to just drop the clubs and run? would a person even think to grab a club and stand their ground, or would the adrenaline be too high to make such a choice in such a circumstance?
    do golf clubs even make good self defense weapons or would the shafts just snap upon 1st strike 95% of the time?

On -, @LifeStory said:

Didn’t happen “on the women’s minitour”, doubt you are really concerned for your safety.

Posted:
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf  427WRX Points: 199Handicap: 1.1Members Posts: 427 Greens

This one definitely makes the best weapon!

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
  • nichhonichho  2041WRX Points: 273Members Posts: 2,041 Platinum Tees

Take any steel shafted iron. Snap the head off the shaft. Stab the assailant through the heart with the pointy bit.

Posted:
    Mizuno MP 650 Fujikura Orochi
    Mizuno JPX 850 5W Fujikura Speeder
    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 19* TTDG
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW TTDG
    Mizuno S18 50 TTDG
    Mizuno S18 56* TTDG
    Vokey SM6 60 TTDG
    Mizuno T105

Advertisement
  • Steele47Steele47  1747WRX Points: 882Members Posts: 1,747 Platinum Tees

Odyssey 7

Posted:
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, Ohio 867WRX Points: 163Handicap: 16Members Posts: 867 Golden Tee

I totally agree . . . but I wonder about this situation in Portland or Seattle. The bum would probably end up swarmed by lawyers that would want to sue you and claim the bum was the victim.

Posted:

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

Well, in Seattle or Portland he wouldn’t have been alone. The homeless in those cities are professional bums.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jpdxjpdx  1784WRX Points: 173Members Posts: 1,784 Platinum Tees

Well, in Seattle or Portland he wouldn’t have been alone. The homeless in those cities are professional bums.

truth.

Posted:
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.