• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the things I'd look for.
    Highest Cor.
    Titanium face.
    Longish length so 43 or 43.5"
    Maybe deeper face?

• CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Moxley said:
    Consider mini drivers, which are a mix of the 2 and typically play like a strong 3 wood.

I think the term you were looking for there is "2 wood"

• Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm picking up a 910fd. Only because the adapter is the same as the driver shafts. The changed them starting with the 913. Getting a 13.5. Gonna drop the loft and run a driver shaft. Should play around 44 inches.

Titleist 910d3 8.5
    Titleist 917f2 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Bridgestone Td-01 
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 25, 2019 11:02pm #65

@gwelfgulfer said:

@mogc60 said:
    The rapture is a cannon...

Really wanted to love this one over the years as I've had 3 at various times (with like 5 different shaft combos). Seemed easiest to get distance from with a smoother swing, but as soon as I tried to step on it, spun too much (wether I changed the dynamics that much doing so idk). Also tested it against the G stretch for like an hour on the range going back and fourth, was only like 2-3 yards longer at best, but was better sounding/feel as the G was more metalic to me.

I used it as a 3 wood and not a driver replacement. I agree on that it spins more than most “mini” drivers but it feels fantastic and gets really good distance. I never felt like I had to hit it hard...so I got a nice mid flight that just went straight. I had a Matrix 80 black tie in mine. It’s 15 yards longer than my biocell+ playing both at 13.5*

TAYLORMADE M5 TOUR 9* SMOKE GREEN 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    COBRA BIOCELL+ 13.5* MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    COBRA CB SATIN 3-6 CATALYST 100 6.5
    COBRA MB SATIN 7-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 50* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 54* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• dinsdale00dinsdale00 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

yet another vote for the callaway x hot 3 deep, easily as long as my driver

• jhcarsonjhcarson Members Posts: 380 ✭✭

The answer is, and always will be (for me), The Unicorn: Cleveland Hibore XL 2 Wood. Keep trying new drivers, keep going back to my Little Hombre (yes, I've named it). So easy to hit, such a satisfying sound, large enough to inspire confidence, short enough shaft to back that confidence up. Love it.

• CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcopp7 said:
    xHot 3 deep or TM RBZ 1 or 2. Both are absolute cannons.

Agreed, my Rbz stage 2’s, in 3w and 5w,put my driver to shame.

• gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

@mogc60 said:

@gwelfgulfer said:

@mogc60 said:
    The rapture is a cannon...

Really wanted to love this one over the years as I've had 3 at various times (with like 5 different shaft combos). Seemed easiest to get distance from with a smoother swing, but as soon as I tried to step on it, spun too much (wether I changed the dynamics that much doing so idk). Also tested it against the G stretch for like an hour on the range going back and fourth, was only like 2-3 yards longer at best, but was better sounding/feel as the G was more metalic to me.

I used it as a 3 wood and not a driver replacement. I agree on that it spins more than most “mini” drivers but it feels fantastic and gets really good distance. I never felt like I had to hit it hard...so I got a nice mid flight that just went straight. I had a Matrix 80 black tie in mine. It’s 15 yards longer than my biocell+ playing both at 13.5*

I could get some maginificent snap hooks when I tried to get too cute with it, but completly agree with the easy distance and its feel. I had the Stock X, Tour 80X, 80X Kai'Li, Nunchuk and DI7X to tinker around with. Last one I sold off as I got $100 more than what I paid for it in the first place after using it a season, so figured why not. Had the Rapture DI as well, nice combo.

Custom Hoofer Lite Bag:
    Driver - Titleist 917D3 9.5* w/ GD DJ 6X
    Woods - TEE E8 Beta 16.5* w/ 85X V2
    Hybrid - Adams Super LSP VST 20* w/ DG TI X100
    Hybrid/DI - Adams Dhy 24* w/ DG TI S400
    Irons - Adams MB2 Raw 5-GW w/ DG TI S400
    Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTG 54* & 58* w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Yes! Abbie Forged 33" or Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭

Callaway XR Pro has served me well off the tee. I can hit it both directions and it definitely sniffs my drivers yardages sometimes.

• stashtvstashtv Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

One area I like with 3W heads: I prefer shorter (top to bottom) heads. With a shorter head, I feel it's easier to cover more of the sweet spot.
    G400 falls into this category, I could probably remove my G400LS driver and just game the 3W for sub 6.4k courses.

• Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,179 mod

The first taylormade mini driver

Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • KnowTheLedgeKnowTheLedge Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

@jol said:
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+ wood. Off the tee it is a rocket launcher, long and straight ! My go to club when I need to keep it on the fairway without sacrificing much distance.

I agree. Even better though it's shaped like a regular 3 wood so I have no trouble launching it high off the fairway too.

• ThinneditThinnedit Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

Second an Epic Flash 3+ but ordered with an opposite handed optifit (instead of +2 it'll give you -2 loft) tune it down to 11.5⁰ and you'll have a bomber off the tee.

Epic flash 3wd
    Ping rapture j-spec 5-P+S
    Ping gowin 5
    Golf.
  • knackersknackers Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited Jul 26, 2019 9:25am #75

got an old Epic 3+, switched heads in the shop to the newer Epic flash, couldn't tell the difference maybe 1>7yrds difference, not worth the extra money. Save your money first try the older season gear. But if you're only driving the ball 220yrds, what is your SS like. These lower lofted 3w are bombs only if you have the SS to keep it in the air you might find you hit a 15degree longer than a 13.5. Even experimenting with the driver, put a 3w shaft in it at a shop if your driver is adjustable, it could fix your driver accuracy.

• Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ping G410 LST and Epic SZ work best for me.

All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw, gw Nippon 105R
    S18 54, 60
    SC NP2
    Srixon Z Star(2019)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the same boat, hitting the TM Original One Mini Driver. Pretty much swing it like a 3 wood, but tee it up fractionally higher. I have the lower lofted model, but its very shaft-specific, you definitely want to get fitted for it.

• extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@elthrill said:
    thanks men. for me its a feel thing in the driver. my driver is only 43.75" and i was fitted for it but i just dont feel like i can get around on it. my swing is 3/4 in terms of arm position at top and i dont have much hand release in my swing and i just feel like im going to hit the thing a mile right, so i end up shutting down the face and hitting it a mile left. and its back and forth left and right all day. and my position is dead square at the top of my swing. its not an issue with my 3 wood nor my 3 hybrid. i know I could get it fixed but i dont know if the sacrifice with my other clubs would be offset with the improvement in my driver. I really like the way im hitting my wedges - 7 iron right now. Its flush.

brooks like to point out the "steering" on the downswing rarely works. Do what you want, but i think some work with the long irons and driver (lots of similarities in the negative tendencies that arise when using these clubs) is the way to go, you will figure it out since you can hit the ball well-enough, and then appreciate not having to hit 7 iron into a relatively easy par 4. instead you will left with a scoring club in you hand. Wedge them to death.
    Alright i will leave u alone now, but really curious to see 3 wood vs driver swing if you wanna link that up, or post in instruction forum and link here. If not, good luck picking a three wood. Get fit for the shaft imo, switch my tensei from head to head with literally the smallest variations in spin and launch characteristics, and never more than a 10 yard difference between average distance, completely attributable to different testing environments. could not care less what club head im swinging, but was a process finding right shaft

g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx
    p790 3i | steelfiber 95x
    919tour 4-9 | x100
    md3 46*8 | x100
    sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | s400 ti
    red X3
    tour velvet
    3 piece ball

• SUPERGSUPERG Members Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

PING G standard or stretch, G400 stretch as well. Had the G400 stretch but far too long for my gapping, 15 yards shorter than my best drives and always in the fairway. Highly recommend

M5 - 10.5* HZRDUS HC Yellow 76 6.5
    M4 3HL - Atmos Tour Spec Blue 8X
    M3 HYB - HZRDUZ HC Black 105 6.5
    P790 4-PW PX 6.0
    SM7 - DG S400 50* 54* 60*
    Spider X

• Ajohns10Ajohns10 IndianaMembers Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Vote for the ping rapture 2014. I had one. Thought new tech would be better, so I sold it. After a couple years of trial/errors, I bought another.

Ping G400 LS @ 8.5* w/ Hzrdus 6.5 / Mizuno ST190 w/ Tour Spec Atmos x
    Mizuno ST 190 3wd
    PXG 17*
    JPX 919 Tours (c-taper 130x)
    Mizuno s18's 50, 54, 58 (c-taper 120s)
    Odyssey White Hot #7, Scotty Mil-Spec, Scotty 6m
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Original Rapture 3 wood for me. 14 degrees, large deep head, sounds and feels great.
    I had mine shafted at 44 inches.

I used it for a couple of years until I got a driver that works for me. Nothing better than hitting a driver long and in play.

Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,141 ClubWRX

@Golfingfanatic said:
    M2 DF T3 13.5°
    M3 T3 13° (can be adjusted to a lower loft)

Here's the correct answer, in my opinion (I have both). The M2 DF T3 is an absolute cannon off the tee for a strong 3w, but off the turf performance can suffer a bit. If you need something that's a mix of tee/turf, the M3 T3 is a better play.

When I play a course where I know there will only be 3w tee shots, the M2 DF T3 goes in the bag.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • golfer1964golfer1964 Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

rapture all day

• bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

917 F3. Fit with the right shaft it's very straight and very long.

The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• kody17kody17 Members Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

My TEE CBX 15* is as long or longer than my Titleist 910 D2 driver right now. I have the 13.5* CBX glued up and ready to rock to see if it will actually outdrive my driver by a decent margin. These 3 woods really are that good.

Adams Launch Lab 9.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 65 S
    Srixon z785 4-PW w/ DG TI X100
    Mizuno MP-T5 52*, 56*, 60* w/ DG X100
    Odyssey Exo Indianapolis Stroke Lab

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kody17 said:
    My TEE CBX 15* is as long or longer than my Titleist 910 D2 driver right now. I have the 13.5* CBX glued up and ready to rock to see if it will actually outdrive my driver by a decent margin. These 3 woods really are that good.

This person gets it👍😁

Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evolution TS 661 
    TEE CBX 16.5* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 962b 2-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to have fun with this one.

FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
    Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges
  • bwgerhobwgerho Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

Your driver may be too long: most tour players use 42 - 44 inch drivers compared with the 45-46 you pull off the rack at a store. Try choking up to see if shorter would be better.

• dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@aztec575 said:
    I’m going to have fun with this one.

Shaft might be 20 grams too light. For me it would be.

Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium 10.5* driver

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

OLD Northwestern heel shaft putter
  • lilcaeserlilcaeser LILCAESER SCClubWRX Posts: 776 ClubWRX

another vote for the TM Original One Mini Driver ,,,,, 43" so easy to swing through the ball w/ near driver distance

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kody17 said:

many of the TEE clubs should be at the top of the list. Original bomber FW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file