Martin Kaymer Loses PGA Tour Card

 idrive ·  
idriveidrive gone golfinMembers  2389WRX Points: 349Posts: 2,389 Platinum Tees
Joined:  in Tour Talk #1

Pretty sad.

I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2343WRX Points: 321Handicap: 15Posts: 2,343 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2

    I’m not sure I would call it sad. He lost his tour card because the sport is extremely competitive. Everyone gets to that point. But at 34 he is still young and I’m sure he can bounce back if he really wants it. Then maybe he will recognize he had a great career and move on? I’m not worried about this guy and his family moving into tent city.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3349WRX Points: 993Handicap: 4Posts: 3,349 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    On -, @idrive said:

    Pretty sad.

    I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

    You could put that question in the Jordan Spieth thread.

    Posted:
  • Chachi2Chachi2 Members  1897WRX Points: 1,319Posts: 1,897 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4

    His game may have eroded because he'd rather be picking strawberries than playing golf.

    Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members  13152WRX Points: 1,014Handicap: 3.8Posts: 13,152 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    Great player, he will be back

    Posted:
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members  189WRX Points: 99Posts: 189 Fairways
    Joined:  #6

    3rd at Memorial, obviously he can bring it on some weeks. I'm surprised he allowed himself to fall short of the 15 required starts.

    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28570WRX Points: 5,189Posts: 28,570 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7

    Back in the day, a guy with Kaymers record might lose his card.

    And have to get a job!

    But now? I’m thinking with endorsements he’s been making 7 figures for many years.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5546WRX Points: 506Posts: 5,546 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    34, 2 majors, 1 other PGA victory and 11 European Tour victories.

    Guy doesn’t need a PGA Tour card to have more money than his grandchildren’s grandchildren need.

    He will be fine.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

    Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members  3519WRX Points: 1,043Posts: 3,519 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @bscinstnct said:

    Back in the day, a guy with Kaymers record might lose his card.

    And have to get a job!

    But now? I’m thinking with endorsements he’s been making 7 figures for many years.

    If he needed the money he'd probably be top 20 on tour right now.

    Posted:
  • ByeBye EnglandMembers  1365WRX Points: 124Handicap: 0.9Posts: 1,365 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11

    I have said this in another thread about him, his stats have hardly changed in years, well actually some are a little better this year. I guess it is true when they say, if your not improving your going backwards.

    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1
  • OldBridgeOldBridge Members  740WRX Points: 170Posts: 740 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #12

    Kaymer has always struck me as a streaky player. Playing on the Euro Tour some more may help him figure some things out.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • snizzlesnizzle Members  520WRX Points: 126Posts: 520 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Aug 3, 2019 #13

    He will still finish 125-150 in FedEx standings just playing limited events and will still have some status on tour just like Lowry did this past season. Sometimes I think it's better for the top Euro players not to be so concerned about making the FedEx playoffs or making the minimum starts that the PGA requires. His game is still good but obviously didn't play enough PGA tournaments. He should be able to get that OWGR back to the top 50 if he wants to do that by playing the top Euro events. The Ryder cup is coming up next year and alot of these Euro players are more interested in playing over there during those years anyway.

    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  5948WRX Points: 1,408Handicap: 3Posts: 5,948 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    Did this not happen exactly the same way two years ago?

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Dave230Dave230 Members  3885WRX Points: 305Posts: 3,885 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15

    Kaymer is better off on the European Tour for now I would say, try to build the game back up. Was actually playing decent this summer with some good finishes.

    Posted:
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members  5962WRX Points: 2,765Handicap: 10.8Posts: 5,962 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @snizzle said:

    He will still finish 125-150 in FedEx standings just playing limited events and will still have some status on tour just like Lowry did this past season. Sometimes I think it's better for the top Euro players not to be so concerned about making the FedEx playoffs or making the minimum starts that the PGA requires. His game is still good but obviously didn't play enough PGA tournaments. He should be able to get that OWGR back to the top 50 if he wants to do that by playing the top Euro events. The Ryder cup is coming up next year and alot of these Euro players are more interested in playing over there during those years anyway.

    The article mentions he may not qualify for top 150 status due his 14 starts. He currently sits at #148.
    The old ooops I thought I'd make the playoffs and didn't so I'm one tournament short routine strikes again.

    I agree, go back to Europe and move up from #97 in the OWGR. Try to make the Ryder Cup. Play better and winning will take care of the rest.

    Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • spk7spk7 Members  89WRX Points: 37Posts: 89 Fairways
    Joined:  #17

    I think he can get back to a high level but it may just take some time

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  5948WRX Points: 1,408Handicap: 3Posts: 5,948 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18

    Kaymer reminds me of a Duval type figure. He comes across as a very deep thinker, someone who comes across as a very deep thinker and an intelligent guy. My wonder is if he will actually have the motivation to get himself back to where he was golf wise.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members  4768WRX Points: 504Posts: 4,768 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    On -, @idrive said:

    Pretty sad.

    I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

    Kaymer did not have a good record at the Masters and chose to change to a draw swing. But he probably felt he could improve his game by changing his swing.

    Posted:
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members  297WRX Points: 245Posts: 297 Greens
    Joined:  #21

    He is actually playing decent golf this year. In 19 events he has 5 top 20 finishes and has gotten back inside the top 100 of the OWGR. Knowing Kaymer, he'll probably win a couple big events next year like he does every 4-6 years and then disappear into oblivion again. I'm actually willing to bet that Kaymer wins again before Spieth. Kaymer tends to win big events in bunches, and then lose his game.

    Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3302WRX Points: 1,162Posts: 3,302 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 4, 2019 #22

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    Did this not happen exactly the same way two years ago?

    Kaymer hasn't made the top 125 since his US Open win and he hasn't played the requisite number of events any year since either. This year was the last year of the exemption he got via the Pinehurst win.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3302WRX Points: 1,162Posts: 3,302 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 4, 2019 #23

    On -, @iBanesto said:

    On -, @idrive said:

    Pretty sad.

    I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

    Kaymer did not have a good record at the Masters and chose to change to a draw swing. But he probably felt he could improve his game by changing his swing.

    A mistake that a few have made. The lack of a draw isn't the problem at Augusta, seems to be a bit of a myth, it's the low ball flight he has that hurts him more.

    I also heard an analyst/commentator state that another one of the reasons Kaymer attempted to change his swing was because he didn't like the way it looked.

    Posted:
    Post edited by OldTomMorris on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • MalvernMalvern Members  555WRX Points: 152Handicap: 7Posts: 555 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #24

    He knocked back a card in 2010, maybe he is just bored with living in Scottsdale. As

    On -, @NoodleSalad said, he chose to give up the card.
    Posted:
  • NoFancyUsername.NoFancyUsername. Members  506WRX Points: 106Posts: 506 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @BMC said:

    He usually plays 20 Euro events a year. Part-time US Tour player. Still has a residence in Germany. Nothing to see here.

    Exactly.

    Posted:
  • freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members  197WRX Points: 206Posts: 197 Fairways
    Joined:  #26

    I thought you get a 10 exemption for winning the players?

    Posted:
  • snizzlesnizzle Members  520WRX Points: 126Posts: 520 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @Darth Putter said:

    On -, @snizzle said:

    He will still finish 125-150 in FedEx standings just playing limited events and will still have some status on tour just like Lowry did this past season. Sometimes I think it's better for the top Euro players not to be so concerned about making the FedEx playoffs or making the minimum starts that the PGA requires. His game is still good but obviously didn't play enough PGA tournaments. He should be able to get that OWGR back to the top 50 if he wants to do that by playing the top Euro events. The Ryder cup is coming up next year and alot of these Euro players are more interested in playing over there during those years anyway.

    The article mentions** he may not qualify for top 150 status due his 14 starts.** He currently sits at #148.
    The old ooops I thought I'd make the playoffs and didn't so I'm one tournament short routine strikes again.

    I agree, go back to Europe and move up from #97 in the OWGR. Try to make the Ryder Cup. Play better and winning will take care of the rest.

    I just saw that. Apparently he technically needed 1 more start to keep conditional status. With that said I doubt the Tour will really enforce that rule against a former Major winner since last season they just had a talk with Spieth after he basically did the same thing (and Spieth had full status and not conditional).

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4292WRX Points: 1,402Posts: 4,292 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @freeze16172002 said:

    I thought you get a 10 exemption for winning the players?

    No longer. 5 years is the longest exemption the PGA Tour gives out these days for an event. It was a 10 year exemption years ago. Same with the old World Series Of Golf at Firestone before it became a WGC event. The USGA still grants a 10 year exemption into the US Open for the current champion.

    Posted:
  • Oz MaxOz Max Members  286WRX Points: 150Handicap: 80'sPosts: 286 Greens
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @Dave230 said:

    Kaymer is better off on the European Tour for now I would say, try to build the game back up. Was actually playing decent this summer with some good finishes.

    He's not exactly exulting confidence on the Euro Tour either, not that easy to shine over there as the competition is quite fierce actually

    Posted:
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members  652WRX Points: 170Posts: 652 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #30

    Rumour has it he's been busy practising on Kirsty Gallacher, and why wouldnt you!

    Posted:

    Taylormade SIM Max 9.0* (Ventus Blue S)
    Taylormade M6 15* 3 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Adams DHY 21* & 24* (Aldila S )
    TI Taylormade RSI TP 5-PW (1.5* flat, 1 - 2* weak) (Pro Modus 130s)
    Taylormade MG black 52 (53) (2* flat, 1* weak) (DG S300)
    TI Taylormade MG Raw 58 LB (3* flat) (KBS S Taper 125)
    Taylormade Ghost Tour Corza putter

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mankumanku Members  842WRX Points: 255Posts: 842 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #31

    Way back in 1985, Dwight Gooden had one of the greatest seasons in MLB history...but management was convinced that he needed to work on his pickoff move!
    Now, he clearly had some demons inside, but when you go 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA (for those stat wonks, his WAR of 12.2 remains today the single highest since the dead ball era in the 1910s), the only thing the Mets should have done is made sure he got to Shea on time. But then again, my Mets don't have the best ownership in sports :)
    I'm not sure why athletes change when they are on top of their field.

    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.