European Tour tackles slow play

jdl

**FOUR-POINT PLAN – EXPLAINED IN FULL**

**1. Regulation**

When players are out of position and either being monitored or timed, a one-shot penalty will be incurred after two bad times – currently a player would be ‘monitored’ and if he breaches the time allowance (50 seconds for first to play, 40 seconds for second or third to play) he will then be ‘officially timed’ and would then have to breach twice more before being given a one shot penalty. Players will, however, have the option to request one time extension per round, giving an additional 40 seconds to hit a shot on this request.

In Position timing, introduced at the same time as Monitoring, has been strengthened. The time allowed to play a shot when being monitored in position (currently double the out of position times above), will be reduced by 15%, from 100 and 80 seconds down to 85 and 70 seconds respectively for first and second/ third to play. Referees are now mandated to be proactive in targeting known slow players for in position timing.

Fines for consistently slow players who are regularly officially timed during the season will increase significantly. For example, a player who is timed 15 times in the 2020 season will have to pay £26,000 in fines as opposed to £9,000 this season.

**2. Education**

All new members will be assigned a dedicated referee to help educate them on pace of play at the start of their European Tour career

As part of retaining their membership, every member will be required to pass an interactive online rules test with this being implemented for existing members towards the end of the 2019 season and all new members early in the 2020 season. This will be repeated every three years for existing members.

Regular educational videos will be produced by the European Tour’s social media team on key rules and pace of play policies and shared with the players throughout the season in an effort to avoid unnecessary rulings and ensure they better understand the Pace of Play policy.

**3. Innovation**

A trial Pace-of-Play system will be conducted at the BMW PGA Championship from September 19-22, 2019. This will provide referees with the times for every group through every hole to make sure that no gaps are missed.

As part of this system, and in a ground-breaking development, on-tee displays on a minimum of three holes will provide groups with their position in relation to the group in front.

**4. Field sizes**

Field sizes at fully sanctioned events will be reduced from 156 to a minimum of 144 so long as all entered players in Category 18 (the final 111-125 on the previous season’s Race to Dubai) and above make it into the event. This will create space for referees to push groups over the Thursday and Friday rounds.

Larger starting intervals will be built into play on Saturday and Sunday to create a better flow between groups.

[europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=374910.html](http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=374910.html "europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=374910.html")

Could potentially feel a bit draconian depending on the conditions. Imagine the strict time limit rules while playing the Open Championship in a 30mph wind. I don't envy the people trying to figure out a solution to this.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I watched the interview this morning and hope it works out.> @OldTomMorris said:

> Could potentially feel a bit draconian depending on the conditions. Imagine the strict time limit rules while playing the Open Championship in a 30mph wind. I don't envy the people trying to figure out a solution to this.

Honestly this is an overblown issue. If everyone his held to the same standards then it's a non-issue. It simply doesn't take as long to figure out shot as they pretend.

> @buckeyefl said:

> I watched the interview this morning and hope it works out.> @OldTomMorris said:

> > Could potentially feel a bit draconian depending on the conditions. Imagine the strict time limit rules while playing the Open Championship in a 30mph wind. I don't envy the people trying to figure out a solution to this.

>

> Honestly this is an overblown issue. If everyone his held to the same standards then it's a non-issue. It simply doesn't take as long to figure out shot as they pretend.

I hear you but what if a players hat blows off or it starts raining and the grip gets wet as he's about to the pull trigger? I know these scenarios are rare but with hard and fast rules that have to be applied evenly we could potentially see some really harsh rulings. Personally I don't get how some players can be so slow but it's a very complex thing to solve.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > I watched the interview this morning and hope it works out.> @OldTomMorris said:

> > > Could potentially feel a bit draconian depending on the conditions. Imagine the strict time limit rules while playing the Open Championship in a 30mph wind. I don't envy the people trying to figure out a solution to this.

> >

> > Honestly this is an overblown issue. If everyone his held to the same standards then it's a non-issue. It simply doesn't take as long to figure out shot as they pretend.

>

> I hear you but what if a players hat blows off or it starts raining and the grip gets wet as he's about to the pull trigger? I know these scenarios are rare but with hard and fast rules that have to be applied evenly we could potentially see some really harsh rulings. Personally I don't get how some players can be so slow but it's a very complex thing to solve.

He'll be alright as long as his hat doesn't blow of twice in the same round.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @nichho said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @buckeyefl said:

> > > I watched the interview this morning and hope it works out.> @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > Could potentially feel a bit draconian depending on the conditions. Imagine the strict time limit rules while playing the Open Championship in a 30mph wind. I don't envy the people trying to figure out a solution to this.

> > >

> > > Honestly this is an overblown issue. If everyone his held to the same standards then it's a non-issue. It simply doesn't take as long to figure out shot as they pretend.

> >

> > I hear you but what if a players hat blows off or it starts raining and the grip gets wet as he's about to the pull trigger? I know these scenarios are rare but with hard and fast rules that have to be applied evenly we could potentially see some really harsh rulings. Personally I don't get how some players can be so slow but it's a very complex thing to solve.

>

> He'll be alright as long as his hat doesn't blow of twice in the same round.

Yeh I mean if the player is one bad "time" from a penalty and something happens.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @Titleist99 said:

> Players should watch what they ask for....Yeah, it's all fun and games until a big name player gets a bad time...

Its already happened in a major a few years ago. Player was affected the slow play issue sort of lost momentum for a while.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Some effort, any effort to try and improve things should be applauded so I am all for this.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > I watched the interview this morning and hope it works out.> @OldTomMorris said:

> > > Could potentially feel a bit draconian depending on the conditions. Imagine the strict time limit rules while playing the Open Championship in a 30mph wind. I don't envy the people trying to figure out a solution to this.

> >

> > Honestly this is an overblown issue. If everyone his held to the same standards then it's a non-issue. It simply doesn't take as long to figure out shot as they pretend.

>

> I hear you but what if a players hat blows off or it starts raining and the grip gets wet as he's about to the pull trigger? I know these scenarios are rare but with hard and fast rules that have to be applied evenly we could potentially see some really harsh rulings. Personally I don't get how some players can be so slow but it's a very complex thing to solve.

Or a nearby spectator moves or makes a noise, and the player has to back away. Lot's of variables.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> My picks to host the "Pace of Play" classes for the PGA Tour members would be Lanny Wadkins, Tom Watson and Marc Calcavecchia.

> Who would your three choices be for the European Tour?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @MattyO1984 said:

> Some effort, any effort to try and improve things should be applauded so I am all for this.

I agree. You have to start somewhere. I give the ET full credit for taking this on.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Reducing the field sizes from 156 to 144 is the buried lead here. That's a bigger wake up call than anything the tour could by fining a single player.

I would not rate the US PGA Tour pros chances of adopting these four changes very highly.

Typical responses to the four ideas would probably be...

1. "I'll take as long as need to, I'm trying to make money and maybe win here."

2. "I ain't paid to know the rules, I'm paid to hit golf balls."

3. "Like I'll even pay attention to your little signs, I'm concentrating here."

4. "OH H-E-L-L NO!"

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Reducing the field sizes from 156 to 144 is the buried lead here. That's a bigger wake up call than anything the tour could by fining a single player.

>

> I would not rate the US PGA Tour pros chances of adopting these four changes very highly.

>

> Typical responses to the four ideas would probably be...

> 1. "I'll take as long as need to, I'm trying to make money and maybe win here."

> 2. "I ain't paid to know the rules, I'm paid to hit golf balls."

> 3. "Like I'll even pay attention to your little signs, I'm concentrating here."

> 4. "OH H-E-L-L NO!"

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @"the bishop" said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > Reducing the field sizes from 156 to 144 is the buried lead here. That's a bigger wake up call than anything the tour could by fining a single player.

> >

> > I would not rate the US PGA Tour pros chances of adopting these four changes very highly.

> >

> > Typical responses to the four ideas would probably be...

> > 1. "I'll take as long as need to, I'm trying to make money and maybe win here."

> > 2. "I ain't paid to know the rules, I'm paid to hit golf balls."

> > 3. "Like I'll even pay attention to your little signs, I'm concentrating here."

> > 4. "OH H-E-L-L NO!"

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Forgot how painful that was to watch and even then, it’s not as bad as BDC.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> Reducing the field sizes from 156 to 144 is the buried lead here. That's a bigger wake up call than anything the tour could by fining a single player.

>

> I would not rate the US PGA Tour pros chances of adopting these four changes very highly.

>

> Typical responses to the four ideas would probably be...

> 1. "I'll take as long as need to, I'm trying to make money and maybe win here."

> 2. "I ain't paid to know the rules, I'm paid to hit golf balls."

> 3. "Like I'll even pay attention to your little signs, I'm concentrating here."

> 4. "OH H-E-L-L NO!"

Hard to win a golf tournament when he's tallying up penalty strokes. :)

Praise to the European Tour for taking a stance. The Pros are role models. Hence why so many low hcp players now think 4.5 hours is the norm for 18 holes. These guys know their distances to the yard, have a caddie, green maps and pin positions and yet still take aeons to hit a shot. A slow over rate in a test match can equate to a fine. Fans want to be entertained and not watch a chess game.

This is a good start. We can only hope that the PGA tour emulates some of this. But, I am quite certain that they will not.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

If an NFL quarterback's hands get wet in the rain or someone forgets the snap count or anyone else otherwise becomes "distracted" as the play clock is winding down it's tuff luck unless they want to burn a timeout.

I say it should be the same on the PGA Tour. Make a rule and enforce it consistently and eventually the whining and crying will diminish and these spoiled babies will adjust and adapt or be replaced by those who can.

Executing a quality shot in a timely manner should just be another aspect of the skill set required to succeed.

Maybe even give 'em each one 30 second "timeout" per nine for extenuating circumstances but for God's sake let's do SOMETHING!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I don’t disagree with anything you said but I think the networks are equally responsible. It’s ridiculous that BDC takes 2.5 minutes to hit a putt. It’s just as ridiculous that the network shows him taking 2.5 minutes to putt. Cut off of him and show some golf shots until he just about to putt, or show a tape of his putt, and the regular viewer wouldn’t have a clue that there’s slow play on tour.

> @elwhippy said:

> Praise to the European Tour for taking a stance. The Pros are role models. Hence why so many low hcp players now think 4.5 hours is the norm for 18 holes. These guys know their distances to the yard, have a caddie, green maps and pin positions and yet still take aeons to hit a shot. A slow over rate in a test match can equate to a fine. Fans want to be entertained and not watch a chess game.

> @vernon said:

> If an NFL quarterback's hands get wet in the rain or someone forgets the snap count or anyone else otherwise becomes "distracted" as the play clock is winding down it's tuff luck unless they want to burn a timeout.

> I say it should be the same on the PGA Tour. Make a rule and enforce it consistently and eventually the whining and crying will diminish and these spoiled babies will adjust and adapt or be replaced by those who can.

> Executing a quality shot in a timely manner should just be another aspect of the skill set required to succeed.

> Maybe even give 'em each one 30 second "timeout" per nine for extenuating circumstances but for God's sake let's do SOMETHING!

Couldn't agree more.