Ugliest bird EVER!

sprcoop

Skied tee shot (never do that, I'm a low heel man). Thought it was lost in bushes left of cart path. Hit provisional but found it on ladies tee box (all agreed it must have hit a tree and bounced out).

Hit lay up from ladies tee. Raised green, deep bunkers in front, pin back left.

Catch approach VERY thin from 130yds right at the pin. Amazed it cleared the bunker. Get up there and can't find it. Yep, in the hole. Ugliest bird EVER!

What's yours?

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400yd par 4, massive block headed OB hits a tree and bounces to middle of fairway. From there I hook a 7 iron right of the green headed into a swamp, hits another and bounces onto the fringe. Chip in for birdie

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I hit a worm burner on a par 3 once in pretty dry conditions. The ball just kept going until it was about 3 feet away.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

By far the ugliest birdie I've ever seen.

Hits a driver blocked right into a tree about 130 from the tee.

Hits 3 wood, skulled, head high, screaming way further then it should, under a cart to the left of the green, out the other side, hits a tree, back across the cart path into the fringe.

Hits a totally skulled chip, ankle high screaming across the green at 100 mph, slams dead into the flag stick and drops straight down into the hole.

Par 5. I pulled my tee shot into the other fair way. With about 270 to the green, I grabbed a 7 iron and thought to hit it to about 100-120 yards in. Ended up thinning it, but it rolled a good ways and I was left with 145 to the pin. Grabbed a 9 iron and chunked it just a tad. It hit on top of mound short of the green, took a hop forward down the mound and ended up a foot past the pin and it nearly rolled in for an eagle but gladly took a tap in birdie. Looked even worse when the two guys I was playing with, both bombed their drives down the middle and found the green in two, but two putted for their birdies.

I'll raise your birdie with the ugliest eagle ever. Sliced a drive into the woods and found it with a pretty decent lie and a small gap up high towards the green. Took a higher lofted club(7iron) just to get it up and when I hit it all I heard was the thud of the ball hitting a pretty big branch. No idea where the ball went and was searching in the hazard short of the green when a playing partner asked who's ball was on the edge of the hole. Dont know how it got there but I tapped in for eagle and won a sizeable skin for it.

I'm not sure it's the "ugliest" birdie I've ever had, but it might be the craziest.

I think the year was 2012. I was playing in day 1 of the club championship. Hole #10, a dog leg par 5. I tee off with a 3 or 4-iron, and put myself in the fairway out far enough so I can see around the corner. My second shot, I catch it right off the toe. Sort of a half-shank. It goes about 80 yards up and off to the right, into the woods.

I walk up to where it went in, and I see it in the thick stuff, about 2-3 feet in. I pull it out and take an unplayable.

I hit a 7-iron from about 165 out. It lands, bounces a couple times, and disappears into the hole. I won $100 for a skin on that hole.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I had a funny one on an easy par 5 at my home course once.

Its literally a long par 4. 485 yards if you max it out. If you cut the dog leg you can have a mid iron approach for your 2nd shot.

I would guess I average under par over the course of a season on it most years.

On this particular day however, things were not going my way until the miracle shot LOL.

Shot 1: Topped a drive that scuzzed out into the left rough. 350 yards out still and havent even gotten it near the dog leg I spoke about earlier. Still a chance to make an easy par though and havent entered rage mode yet.

Shot 2: Attempt to bite of more of the dog leg so I have a legit chance at getting on in regulation. Flare slice hybrid into the deep woods and still have 150 or more to go. Instead of trying the shot I know I can hit from the rough I tried a shot I probably couldnt execute 3/10 times. In trouble now...

Shot 3: Attempt a punch out finally thinking I should take my medicine and try to get up and down for a par. End up hitting a tree about 20 yards in front of me, ball whizzes behind me going backwards and further into the trees. I'm now hitting my 4th shot from about 165.

Shot 4: Instead of trying to go low and punch out, In my fit of rage I try the hero ball over the trees...One hop and dropped it into the jar for a smooth birdie.

My 2 playing partners and best buddies were laughing their *** off at this turn of events. I was actually mad at myself for hitting so many dumb shots in a row and ending up with a circle around my number lol.

I posted about my first birdie on our 18th hole a while back. It was my “birdie without a single good shot” moment. I’ve had plenty of ugly pars, but a birdie on a par 4 without hitting a single good shot seemed pretty rare to me.

The 18th is a dogleg left par 4 with this little hazard at the inside corner of the dogleg that just seems to have a magnetic field for golf balls. Whoever designed this hole was a genius. Because if you cut the dogleg you shorten the hole a lot, but that little hazard...

Anyway, I now just play away from this hazard and on this day I thinned / sliced a drive off the heel that did end up in the fairway and was in no danger of the hazard because of how short I hit it. So I had a much longer approach than I’m used to. I’m also in a spot where I can’t see the green at all but use some trees as a guide, etc. Grab a 5 iron hoping to hit short and let the ball roll to the hole. Well, I drop kick it and so I chunk/thin a low but weak shot. But I apparently catch just enough of the ball that it disappears down the hill toward the green. I’m thinking as I walk up that I’ll have to wedge something on and hope for a par save. Get up there and the ball is 2 feet from the cup for a tap-in birdie. I either totally miscalculated the yardage I needed, or the dropkick had absolutely no grab whatsoever and just rolled for days. Either way, it was a birdie without a single good shot.

Par 5 18th at the now closed Cypress Course at Sunol Valley. Tee shot ourt right into the weeds/canyon/arroyo at 250 yards. Only possible shot is full-swing putter under the overhanging junk with a ton of slice. Pulled off perfectly. Left with a 7 iron that I thin/worm-burn to right middle of green. This leaves a 25' putt up a tier with 8' of break in it... which I drain.

Playing by myself, late, no one around, so I'm just messing around. About 10 yds short of the green, decide to try putting from there, not a generally good idea, since we are not Bandon like in our fringe areas, although I was in the fairway. Hit my putt/chip WAY too hard and actually duck hooked a putter. Ball was so far off line it hit a tree branch on the green I hadn't considered at all. Ball ricochets off the branch, still considerably too fast, crashes into the pin across the green and slams down into the cup for an easy three.

> @farmer said:

> Playing by myself, late, no one around, so I'm just messing around. About 10 yds short of the green, decide to try putting from there, not a generally good idea, since we are not Bandon like in our fringe areas, although I was in the fairway. Hit my putt/chip WAY too hard and actually duck hooked a putter. Ball was so far off line it **hit a tree branch on the green** I hadn't considered at all. Ball ricochets off the branch, still considerably too fast, crashes into the pin across the green and slams down into the cup for an easy three.

That's not golf... that's PINBALL!!! Golf gods will make you pay for that one.

I gotta ask. What are tree branches doing on the green? Hurricane damage? Recent tornado? Lackadaisical greenskeepers?

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @sprcoop said:

> > @farmer said:

> > Playing by myself, late, no one around, so I'm just messing around. About 10 yds short of the green, decide to try putting from there, not a generally good idea, since we are not Bandon like in our fringe areas, although I was in the fairway. Hit my putt/chip WAY too hard and actually duck hooked a putter. Ball was so far off line it **hit a tree branch on the green** I hadn't considered at all. Ball ricochets off the branch, still considerably too fast, crashes into the pin across the green and slams down into the cup for an easy three.

>

> That's not golf... that's PINBALL!!! Golf gods will make you pay for that one.

>

> I gotta ask. What are tree branches doing on the green? Hurricane damage? Recent tornado? Lackadaisical greenskeepers?

In the TX Panhandle, the wind blows all the time. This branch was blown from a tree close to the green, and the greenskeeper hadn't gathered it. I moved it off the green after getting my ball out of the hole. Happens all the time in windy country, and the golf gods owed me that one.

556 yd par 5, Today, Top Drive 70 yards into fescue grass, sitting up almost 3" above ground, hit 23* Hybrid down fairway to 240 out, hit 20* Hybrid to 4" make putt. I call that a Stupid Birdie.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Par 4, OB left.

Smother hook off the tee, immediate OB. Ricochets off the door of a US Border Patrol pickup coming down the road (which lines OB, and also represents the US/Canadian Border, fyi). After some apologies to the Agent driving it (safely from the Canadian side), smother a 6i up the left, coming to rest just off the cart path next to the green. Pitch in for birdie 3. Hit the flag hard and dropped down too. Would have been an ugly pitch without that help.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Pushed my drive inte a fairway bunker on a short par 5. Had a good lie and 205 yards left and tried to cut a 4-wood at the green. I struck it perfectly but it wasn't enough to get it up and over the lip. lt hit the slope and tumbled maybe 50 yards down the fairway and left me with an 8-iron wich I hooked badly. And then I of course holed the chip.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

> @Brunchz0r said:

> Haha, and I felt ashamed of my birdie yesterday. Skulled a 7i on a par3, left it 6 inches short middle of the hole. Could have been the worst hio ever, but turned into an ugly bird. Not as ugle as yours .. but you know.

It's too late. I did my only ace that way. Skulled an 8-iron and it landed short of the green, rolled 25 yards, hit the pin hard and disappeared.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

> @Hateto3Putt said:

> Started with a beautiful drive that hit the 150 post in the middle of the fairway.

>

> The ball careened dead right off the post and rolled about 40 yards into a lake.

>

> Dropped lakeside and jarred an 8 iron.

>

> Put me down for a 3.

Now THAT'S an ugly bird! Of course you deserved it. Stupid 150 post. Good to see the karma scales balance.