Talk to me about driving irons...

13»

Comments

• GolfrnutGolfrnut  7353Members Posts: 7,353

@johncia said:
    I also need help in this category. I’ve favored a 5w (about 240yrds) over a hybrid, but my next club is a p760 4i I only hit about 210. I rarely tee off with the 5w and feel like I’d get more utility out of a 3i or 2i p790.

I just haven’t pulled the trigger and I don’t know why... I have it in my cart online, but can’t seem to justify replacing the 5w.

Any suggestions?

Ps: club I’m considering is a p790 3i bent 1.5 deg strong with a project x6.5 steel shaft.

IMO, at that point, you may as well just get the UDI. Unless you are looking for some of the subtle differences that will be there from bending strong (added offset/less bounce), you are at the 2I loft at that point anyway. You can always order it as a shorter length if you wish, or if you want a shaft offering that’s not available through TM, just buy a head from somewhere (ebay is full of the 2017) and have a builder spec one up for you.

Posted:
    TM Supertri V2 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5* w/ Diamana BB  S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R 
    Taylormade R9 19* TP Rescue w/ Aldila Rip 85
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Bebsport678Bebsport678  80Members Posts: 80

@balls_deep said:
    I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

Have you tried testing out a low spin ball? Seems like your describing a ball issue and not a club issue.

Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16049Members Posts: 16,049

@MtlJeff said:
    Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

They shouldn't yell at you. lol For many golfers, your comment makes sense. It just doesn't make sense for someone like me and price is not a factor.

I had 2016 T-MB 17* 2 iron but recently upgraded to 2018 T-MB 17* 2 iron that resembles a blade yet designed to get the ball up although easy to manipulate trajectory. On the other hand, a GI 3iron is more challenging to control trajectory due to CB forgiving design, offset, wide soles and bounce factor. Here's what I see; my 4i has 24* loft with 2* of bounce and minimal offset, as opposed to a stock G410 4 iron is 19-20 and 5* of bounce plus twice as much offset. Mind you, I am not knocking anyone's choice of clubs; they just don't work for me. It's not that I can't flight a GI 3iron, I don't need its game improvement help, and don't like to have to think about overcoming it's CB tendencies to make certain shots.

For example, I have a set of almost new RSi TP irons that set in the garage collecting dust. I played them for a few months but found the specs required me to pay closer attention to overcome offset, stronger lofts and general head design tendencies. IMO Playing good golf is difficult enough, no need to compound game difficulty with a clubhead design that opposes how I play the game. Think about it, that may be the same reason for someone to not play blades except I could hit RSi TP irons fine, just didn't like how it influenced my mental approach to the game. Have a good day.

Posted:
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Aldila Rogue MAX 75 "S"
    • Titleist T-MB 17* 2 iron, PXi 6.0
    • Titleist 620 MB/CB 3i-PW, PX LZ
    • SM6 F-52*, PX LZ
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x

• jvincentjvincent  975Members Posts: 975

Has anyone on this thread tried the Callaway X-Forged Utility?

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• Fairway14Fairway14  257Members Posts: 257

@Old Tom Morris said:
    I think its foolish to have a club limited to tee use. (Besides driver). There are so many options nowadays. I carry a T-MB 3 iron but I can hit it on fairway and light rough lies. If I couldn't hit it well without a peg under it, I'd put a different club in the bag.

There are usually 14 par 4 or par 5 tee box shots required. Why not have several clubs suitable for tee box play? Off the 14 tee boxes I probably average driver off six of them 3-wood off four of them, and either 3-hybrid or 4-iron off the other three tee boxes.

Posted:
  • DMartiniDMartini at home on the range 70Members Posts: 70

@jvincent said:

have 3 in the game bag at the mo 18*, 21* & 30*

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent  975Members Posts: 975

@DMartini said:

@jvincent said:

How do you like the 18*?

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• DMartiniDMartini at home on the range 70Members Posts: 70

@jvincent said:

@DMartini said:

@jvincent said:

How do you like the 18*?

really fantastic club, i personally dont use it off the deck for me thats the 21* job, from the tee on tight & narrow par 4s though the 18* is the ducks nuts.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file