GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Confessions of an Iron Cover User

anythingfinite ·  
anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  332WRX Points: 175Posts: 332 Greens

I have always been a walker. I play better, I feel better, and enjoy the game more when walking. But I hated the sound of clubs clanking together with every step. So I used neoprene iron covers and endured the ridicule for years. They never, ever slowed my play as I average 18 holes in a little over 2.5hrs playing by myself. It was never about protecting resale value, just about the noise.

However, once I got my pushcart to save my back and a set of CMBs, I decided to leave the iron covers off. And you know what happened? I have realized that I like the sound of my clubs clanking together. Its like a "go time" sound now because its the sound of my bad going in/out of the car.

With that said, they will probably go back on if I ever carry for a round. I don't know that I want to hear it 12,000 times in 2.5 hours.

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9752WRX Points: 1,652Posts: 9,752 Titanium Tees

Toss your club cleaning towel in the clubs to help stop them from clanking *as much*. You can also use your one hand to kind of hold some of them in place as you walk.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Tour Z Xtreme 465
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105
    818H1 Tensei White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS

• anythingfiniteanythingfinite Members  332WRX Points: 175Posts: 332 Greens

Towel is in there and the hand works a bit, but I just liked not having to think about it.

Posted:
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  634WRX Points: 353Posts: 634 Golden Tee

Clubs chattering is music. Like baseball spikes on the steps of the dugout, ski boots clicking in to bindings, or a hockey stick banged against the boards.

Posted:

I understand, but all of those things are sporadic or limited. The clubs is incessant and repetitive. But like I said, I'm coming around.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members  634WRX Points: 353Posts: 634 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • andrueandrue Members  1527WRX Points: 281Handicap: 21Posts: 1,527 Platinum Tees

Nope, sorry. Not doing it. I have a set of leatherette covers and they only come off while each club is being used. Doesn't slow me down and doesn't impact anyone else. I have enough stuff to pack away in the car at the end of the round as it is. I'm not wasting more time putting a dozen covers back on my clubs.

Mind you although I walk I use an electric trolley because I'm not a ****. Except for today when, due to a deficient brain, I left the battery (and my GPS) charging at home while I played golf. Just what I needed on a hot day. And because of the lock down rules our course is playing the 'old' way round. So the 18th hole ends with a 40 degree 200 yard climb.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • Windlaker_1Windlaker_1 SE WisconsinMembers  65WRX Points: 60Handicap: 20Posts: 65 Bunkers

I use the neoprene covers.

Not for resale value, as I normally keep them so long they aren't worth diddley-poo at that point.

Use them to maintain a nice looking set of irons.

Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13942WRX Points: 2,752Handicap: 3.1Posts: 13,942 Titanium Tees

exactly what I was going to say, like spikes on a path baby!!!

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65.06 
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Kiyoshi Prp 65.05
    Ping G400 5w 16.9* Matrix Masters 7Q3 x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  667WRX Points: 804Posts: 667 Golden Tee

Totally. I don't miss what they did to greens but I do totally miss that CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH on pavement.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 22°
    OG Lynx Parallax 4-PW
    Miura 52°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members  1892WRX Points: 334Posts: 1,892 Platinum Tees

The sound of irons clacking while walking the course is the last true sound of golf. I wouldn’t give it up for anything!

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29862WRX Points: 2,845Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,862 Titanium Tees

i don't really notice it that much when i walk to be honest. Maybe its how i arrange my clubs....If the clanging is bothering me you can just move the clubs slightly and it usually mitigates it

But if you're like, breakdancing down the fairway, tough to stop it

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 w/ Ping Tour 75
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers  5512WRX Points: 527Handicap: 6.3 HCIPosts: 5,512 Titanium Tees

Its your choice, I use iron covers, lets me not forget a club around the green, as the cover in pocket is a quick reminder that something is a miss.

Also, its a good way to protect your clubs, and at these prices, makes you wonder why not, since woods and putters are sold with covers that are intended to be used. One other note, it may keep others from assessing whats in the bag, and keep a thief wondering if the bag is worth the the effort.

Hate the feeling about club theft, but clubs are targets.

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • 4x4GGG4x4GGG Members  140WRX Points: 79Handicap: 15Posts: 140 Fairways

This. 100% this. That sound to me was a Pavolovian spark. Crunch Crunch Crunch to the first Tee. I miss that sound so much.

Also, I've always enjoyed the sound of the clubs on my back. It's soothing. Then I started playing the i500's. It sounds like I'm juggling nickles with every step. Not mad, just different.

Posted:
  • oiler45oiler45 Members  386WRX Points: 206Posts: 386 Greens

I personally think iron head covers are ridiculous but I couldn't care less if someone chooses to use them. My question is - do they really help that much? I've never used them but I would think the vast majority of iron wear and tear is due to actually hitting balls. Hitting crappy range balls on sandy turf, hacking balls out of the rough, or from rocky fairway bunkers would seem to me to be way harder on clubs than just walking or riding in a cart and letting them bang together. Also - how come no one uses head covers on wedges?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • andrueandrue Members  1527WRX Points: 281Handicap: 21Posts: 1,527 Platinum Tees

I don't think about the protective effect. For me it's about avoiding the noise, both on the course and when transporting the clubs (I keep them in the car).

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

You will see a ton of used sets with "bag chatter" knicks and dings all over the heads on here and in shops and none of my iron sets have any of that. Those things don't affect performance but it probably does help to have a cleaner looking set when trying to sell. Of course the soles and faces will have wear from use, but they are still a less damaged looking set.

And I used them on all 14 clubs, incl my 3 wedges.

Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5934WRX Points: 3,394Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,934 Titanium Tees

To avoid noise try putting the clubs in the bag "head down."

Posted:
  • plim123plim123 Members  37WRX Points: 23Posts: 37 Bunkers

this - bag chatter. i think it's also one of those escalating/one-thing-leads-to-another things...

meaning - most players (maybe not most WRXers) play cast clubs, and cast clubs are less susceptible to bag chatter

but forged clubs are prime suspect for bag chatter, and also a prime candidate for "look at that beautiful topline..."

i'd be curious to hear from players who love the beautiful look of forged clubs (esp the thin top line folks), but also love hearing the clubs clatter - does looking down at a nicked top line bother you?

Posted:
  • LuvToGolfGuyLuvToGolfGuy Members  390WRX Points: 52Handicap: 7.6Posts: 390 Greens

What bothers me more than anything in the OP, is that he admits to taking "a little over 2.5 hours" when playing by himself............ Woah

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST Kuro Kage S
    TItleist 818H
    Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 4 hybrid
    Nike Covert 6 iron (PX 6.0)
    Ping i210 7-PW
    Ping Glide 52* 56*
    Scratch 60*
    TM "My Spider" Tour

Advertisement

Walking a 6500 yd course in 2.5 hours is slow to you?

Posted:
  • lazyboneslazybones Members  84WRX Points: 62Posts: 84 Fairways

Yep - I admit it - Years ago I switched back from cast to some new forged Titleist irons. I couldn't imagine them dinged up and dented. So I bought some of those rubber castle bay covers at the time. They are hard to find now - eBay on occasion - as I've lost a couple over the years. Irons still look great. And yes, I also wash and wax my car and I polish my shoes too. Not obsessive compulsive, just doing a small thing to take care of what I have. Always a bit perplexed why some look down on that.

Posted:
  • C6 SnowboarderC6 Snowboarder Members  156WRX Points: 114Handicap: 6.6Posts: 156 Fairways

I use covers -- I like the looks of my blemish free MP=20 MB. but I take good care of my cars too. No dings on those either

What ugly mess of clubs of those all banged up - unless of course the owner drivers a car full of door dings to match.

Posted:

14 Clubs - Good ones

• titleistforgedtitleistforged buying clubs brings joy SF Bay AreaMembers  256WRX Points: 110Handicap: 11Posts: 256 Greens

Not gonna lie, I use them when they are in the trunk of my car banging around, or when I fly, given how TSA handles bags.

On the rare occasion, I use them when I have a fresh new set of soft forged irons, but then after a few hits, I get over it and stop using them on the course.

Posted:
    WITB: Mostly Titleists with Sub70 woods and boutique putters
    New putter incoming: none!
    For sale: Sun Mountain 2.5+ (maybe)
    Next purchase: a lesson. or a driver.

• be0972be0972 Members  27WRX Points: 21Handicap: 2.9Posts: 27 Bunkers

I bought a set of Club Glove neoprene covers 25 years ago when I bought my Club Glove travel cover. Both are the oldest pieces of equipment I own and both are still going strong! Best golf investment EVER!! The only time my iron covers see my clubs though is when I fly with them. I forgot the covers one time on my TM RAC Combo irons many years ago, and bag chatter is nothing compared to what the airlines will do to clubs...

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 10.5˚, Ventus Black 6X
    3 & 5 Wood: TaylorMade M6
    4 - 9 Iron: Mizuno MP-18 MMC, Dynamic Gold X100
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 46˚, 50˚, 54˚, 58˚, Dynamic Gold X100/S400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 1998 Oil Can Classic Newport
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5
    Bag: Vessel Player 2.0 Stand

Advertisement
  • uglandeuglande Members  450WRX Points: 309Posts: 450 Greens

It's like putting plastic on your couches. Just ... no.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 1w (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Titleist TS2 4w 7w (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 2i 4i (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Mizuno MP20 MB 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i  (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Vokey SM8 48F 54D 58M (Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Scotty Special Select Flowback 5.5 | ProV1x #68
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers  2464WRX Points: 376Handicap: 9ishPosts: 2,464 Platinum Tees

I use them and my irons look markedly better than playing partners. Helps resale value a bit, and makes me happy. I only use them on forged irons.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nemo1441nemo1441 Members  59WRX Points: 66Posts: 59 Bunkers

Years ago, I was told that I sounded like a Roman legion walking down the fairway. I’ve relished the noise ever since.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.